SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 and Sl600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
FLSL55's car was completely stock when it ran 12 flat at the track, I was there and at the dyno, there were no computers hooked up to the car!
Old 07-29-2010, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by sound 8
Sunir.. even if you prefer the looks and the speed of your 55, you have to at least admit the gearbox and exhaust are better, which in the UK is more important.
MCT gearbos is more advanced but has suffered horrendous recalls and malfunctioning in the states. The 63 does sound nice though
Old 07-29-2010, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
I hate to agree with anything you say, but you're 100% right about the gearbox and exhaust song in the SL63 being better. In stock form, of course...
I too have agreed w/this part ONLY in the past when these insipid comparo's have been discussed ad nauseam...
Old 07-29-2010, 04:58 PM

2007 Väth SL65 AMG. 2007 BMW Alpina B5s. 2007 BMW M6.
Sunir.. even if you prefer the looks and the speed of your 55, you have to at least admit the gearbox and exhaust are better, which in the UK is more important.
But hey, even I can admit that!
At least the gearbox!

That's why my TCU is at Väth (Vaeth) in Germany, even as we speak...
Not that they will throw in a couple of extra gears or anything, but I am veeery excited.
Will get it back on monday!
Old 07-29-2010, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by FLSL55
Thanks Fiskse.

Hey ricker. SGC is also a personal friend of mine. He witnessed many of my 12 second runs when my car was stock with paper filters.

Your not making friends here in Florida. You should do research before you call someone out.

P.S. I'll let Renntech and SGC know how you openly feel about their business practices.
Are you kidding me?????????? What am I supposed to refrain from making my own opinions I'm just terrified ooooooo I'm NOT making ANY friends in FLA STFUP!!

Just what is your point? Based on your OWN data YOU admit ALL the other AVERAGE SL55's in the WORLD run 12.4-12.5 @ BEST w/MOST running high 12's & ONLY your SL55 is supposed Factory super FREAK that runs DEAD EVEN W/SUNIR's ECU TUNED SL55 thru 1/4...

Your great ET's can be from track experience but your Traps are the TRUE litmus test of your SL55's HP, your SL55 is TRAPPING higher Tuned modded MPH #'s

Furthermore your opinions & UNEDUCATED ramblings on SL600 being equal w/base SL500 in terms of brakes/handling/interior/ etc.. speak volumes as to your intelligence or lack there of on this matter PERIOD time to shut your pie-hole

What happened to the IGNORE LIST Dorthy? LoL

Ricker,

Now your pissing me off.
You’re not worth my time anymore. You’re on the IGNORE LIST from now on dude.

Last edited by Thericker; 07-29-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
Your responses show how you were raised and your deeply lacking intellectual capacity.

I bet you don't have one true friend. I feel bad for anyone that has anything to do with you on a daily basis.

You are stubborn and I bet NEVER say sorry or admit ANY fault of your own doing. Your ALWAYS right! Sound familiar? I bet these are the things you have been hearing your whole life.

You are a text book narcissist. Not being able to be empathetic in even the most rudimentary way....? Sound familiar?

You are truly a bad seed and not worth another second of my life.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Your responses show how you were raised and your deeply lacking intellectual capacity.

I bet you don't have one true friend. I feel bad for anyone that has anything to do with you on a daily basis.

You are stubborn and I bet NEVER say sorry or admit ANY fault of your own doing. Your ALWAYS right! Sound familiar? I bet these are the things you have been hearing your whole life.

You are a text book narcissist. Not being able to be empathetic in even the most rudimentary way....? Sound familiar?

You are truly a bad seed and not worth another second of my life.
LOL ok Dr Phil, you sir are in need of prof help, your joke of an attempt @ Psych 101 is laughable @ best Put me on IGNORE already I don't need anymore friends

Last edited by Thericker; 07-29-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Sunir, you state the SL55 is faster than the 63,
stock I presume, because I haven't seen a time for a stock 55 that's a lot better than the only 63 time there is. I agree that a tuned 55 is gonna be faster.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Sunir, you state the SL55 is faster than the 63,
stock I presume, because I haven't seen a time for a stock 55 that's a lot better than the only 63 time there is. I agree that a tuned 55 is gonna be faster.
I think stock SL55 would be faster than SL63. Before LET put the tune on that day at the track I ran the car once and Jay ran my car once. I did a high12.4, Jay did a low 12.3. Then Tony downloaded a canned tune file that they have for all stock SL55. I ran lower 12's, Clayton blew me out of the water with a bunch of 12.0's back to back in my car as I proceeded to get schooled by my friend, I learned a lot and hope to improve nest time. We both felt that the car had high 11's in her. Oh well next time

All this talk about SL600 and SL55...guys look Clays car was quicker, period. We both ran stock cars with a LET tune, mine was a stock config flash for SL55 I don't know what his was but really doesn't matter. It was faster by just under a half second but seriously at the end of the day...bottom line that I take away from that day at the track is that I had a great time, I met some really cool people, I made some new friends, and I learned how to hopefully drive my car a bit faster in the 1/4 mile...something I'd not done before until then...I'm a road course guy but now I like drag racing as well
Old 07-30-2010, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Sunir
I think stock SL55 would be faster than SL63. Before LET put the tune on that day at the track I ran the car once and Jay ran my car once. I did a high12.4, Jay did a low 12.3. Then Tony downloaded a canned tune file that they have for all stock SL55. I ran lower 12's, Clayton blew me out of the water with a bunch of 12.0's back to back in my car as I proceeded to get schooled by my friend, I learned a lot and hope to improve nest time. We both felt that the car had high 11's in her. Oh well next time

All this talk about SL600 and SL55...guys look Clays car was quicker, period. We both ran stock cars with a LET tune, mine was a stock config flash for SL55 I don't know what his was but really doesn't matter. It was faster by just under a half second but seriously at the end of the day...bottom line that I take away from that day at the track is that I had a great time, I met some really cool people, I made some new friends, and I learned how to hopefully drive my car a bit faster in the 1/4 mile...something I'd not done before until then...I'm a road course guy but now I like drag racing as well
Exactly what these cars are about for us enthusiasts, cool post
Old 07-30-2010, 06:32 PM

I learned how to hopefully drive my car a bit faster in the 1/4 mile...
Wanna pass that on..?
Cause I'm thinking of going for the first time next weekend!
And if any tricks can be learned up front, to knock some tenths of, I would appreciate it...
Old 08-01-2010, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by maxabo
Wanna pass that on..?
Cause I'm thinking of going for the first time next weekend!
And if any tricks can be learned up front, to knock some tenths of, I would appreciate it...
A lot of good (if occasionally contradictory) advice here: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...acing-how.html

Biggest thing is to ease into the throttle rather than just standing on it. If you take about one second to go from idle to wide open throttle you'll be close to the optimal launch.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi, aren't all your cars tuned though, you were running 12.4 and slightly lower.
Nothing under 12, there is a chance my re mapped with K&N's 63 might
achieve a 12.3. Each time you try there's a chance it will get better in any car. To say a Sl55 is faster than a SL63 it needs to be a second quicker on
quarters. Just my thoughts.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Hi, aren't all your cars tuned though, you were running 12.4 and slightly lower.
Nothing under 12, there is a chance my re mapped with K&N's 63 might
achieve a 12.3. Each time you try there's a chance it will get better in any car. To say a Sl55 is faster than a SL63 it needs to be a second quicker on
quarters. Just my thoughts.
I see what you are saying a second doesn't seem like a long time but it is at the drag strip...tenths are hard to come by the faster the cars become,. for example to get from 12.3 round abouts to 12.0 or potential very high 11's it takes a basic stock tune downloaded onto a very stock car, as we have seen with my car...now to get from 12.0 to 11.0 will take a whole lot more even though we are only talking 1 second it will take pulley, headers, tb, tune, exhaust etc...

So yes same driver and same condtions, ans at the same number of runs in that specific trial or event...SL55 will be faster than SL63. Stock for stock, no filters, basic stock tunes or anything...purely stock I mean. By several 10tenths which may not seem like a lot but equates to several car lenghts at speed.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree, a formula 1 car can be only tenths of a second better to be out in the lead, but a lot is to do with road holding.
Looking at drag times I can't see a standard SL55 that's a lot quicker than
Old 08-04-2010, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by jmf003
A lot of good (if occasionally contradictory) advice here: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...acing-how.html

Biggest thing is to ease into the throttle rather than just standing on it. If you take about one second to go from idle to wide open throttle you'll be close to the optimal launch.
Thanks.
But I found mostly safety topics there, and not that much about typical Mercedes tips...
For instance, I've heard something about reseting the tranny so it will be alert?
Something about full throttle in second ignition-mode, or something..?

And what about this rumor;
"Let the engine run while standing still, to let it cool down"..??!
Sounds very strange to me...

What about "Water Wetter"?
Has anybody tried that..?

Thankful for answers.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
I agree, a formula 1 car can be only tenths of a second better to be out in the lead, but a lot is to do with road holding.
Looking at drag times I can't see a standard SL55 that's a lot quicker than
SL55 will do 12.4 - 12.3 stock, I have proven that. With nothing more than a shelf tune the same stock car will do back to back consistant 12.0 and have the potential to break into 11's. I have shown that also.

You need to get some data points on SL63, not drag times, not magazines...but real data.

SL55 is faster by several tenths to versus the SL63. Plain and simple.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
My SL55 did 12.096 100% stock and now that I have a tune and pulley it should be solidly in the 11.8 range at around 120mph.

Here is my stock run info.
http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-20422.html

I would love it if an SL63 would be willing to go to PBIR with me, but no one ever steps up.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
My SL55 did 12.096 100% stock and now that I have a tune and pulley it should be solidly in the 11.8 range at around 120mph.

Here is my stock run info.
http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-20422.html

I would love it if an SL63 would be willing to go to PBIR with me, but no one ever steps up.
don't let Ricker get a hold of this post :wink:
Old 08-04-2010, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OH OH New 63

Reading my Auto Express over coffee my eyes lit up when I saw an article and
picture. It's the new S63, and it has a 5.5 litre TT engine. But I am confused
because he said it had 537 bhp and 800 NM torque going through an
automatic gearbox the same as the SL63. Well we all know the 63 does not
have an automatic gearbox. Is it a strengthened 63 box, or an old type auto.
It also said that you could get a sports pack upping the bhp to 565 and 900Nm of torque only 100 lower than a 65. they also said there's a CL coming with the same engine. Can someone throw some light on whether it's a M CT type or an auto. I guess that's close enough to the V12 TT and no doubt very tunable. Mind you for Limo work there is nothing to touch the V12.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by maxabo
Thanks.
But I found mostly safety topics there, and not that much about typical Mercedes tips...
For instance, I've heard something about reseting the tranny so it will be alert?
Something about full throttle in second ignition-mode, or something..?

And what about this rumor;
"Let the engine run while standing still, to let it cool down"..??!
Sounds very strange to me...

What about "Water Wetter"?
Has anybody tried that..?

Thankful for answers.
Sneaky ECU Reset. Resets the transmission shift points. More info here: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...set-works.html

If you don't have a long cool down period you are actually better off letting the engine idle. At idle the intercooler pump runs and keeps things relatively cool. When the engine is off, pump doesn't run and the temperature of the supercharger and intercooler rise to the ambient engine temperature.

Water Wetter supposedly has better heat transfer properties than plain water. Never used it so I can't vouch for it.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by jmf003
Sneaky ECU Reset. Resets the transmission shift points. More info here: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...set-works.html

If you don't have a long cool down period you are actually better off letting the engine idle. At idle the intercooler pump runs and keeps things relatively cool. When the engine is off, pump doesn't run and the temperature of the supercharger and intercooler rise to the ambient engine temperature.

Water Wetter supposedly has better heat transfer properties than plain water. Never used it so I can't vouch for it.

Hope that helps.
Thank you!
The car is up for a ECU & TCU at Väth (Vaeth) in Germany at the moment.
Will be ready in mid August.
And hopefully, I'm getting close to your #'s...