SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 Vs ZO6 Vs Viper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes G55 AMG
Question SL55 Vs ZO6 Vs Viper

Will Let u Know all I love the SL55 and i will be getting a SL55 in about 2 years right after my lease is up on my G55. But anyways, I was with a few friends one had a zo6 and the other a c32. We all where going on the highway just to mess around i was in the Zo6. As we got on we Saw a SL55 right there and man oh man it was sick Orion blue very very very sick color i couldnt belive it. We where hoping it would mess around with us, so my friend had his window down pointing to race. then SL55 had his window down and said alright. so as we beeped 3 times it was on we started from 50mph (my friend is a really good driver 1/4 time is 12.2) so as we puched SL55 just pulled away we started catching up and we passed him at 100mph but not for long as we hit 120mph SL55 just came up and give use a peace sign and just left pulling away he started leaveing us. i just couldnt belive it i thought we had it just by looking at the other video with zo6 beating the sl55 with 20'' rims a while back. and by the way c32 was way behind us. So as he left turning on his Emerg Lights braking, waiting for us to catch up. As we did out of no where a Viper Gts yellow on Black stripes just came up and said lets go so i said na let them 2 race as we pulled away waiting for the viper and SL55 to come up it was really funny just cause they passed us nose to nose but as they where going SL55 pulled on him just by 3 Car length and they both stoped so we gave props to the SL55 and we waited for our friends in the c32 and SL55 left and the viper got off the next exit. So all i have to say is DAMN i wish i had my sl55. So to let u all know zo6 is quick but do not i mean do not try to talk **** after a 100 to a SL55 because that thing just pulled away. the viper was a really good match just cause both cars have about 500hp and 500tq. But to tell u that SL55 is no joke.

1st Place SL55 AMG

2nd Place Viper GTS

3rd Place Corvette ZO6

I will be getting a SL55 Amg in Orion Blue with As interior.
I wish i had a Video camera to record all of this im sorry but this did really happen and im only 17 so please excuse me for my writing. And oh yeah i think SL55 had the limiter removed just cause it beat that viper
Old 06-10-2003, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
Sounds like a good story. Couple of things.....17 years old is no excuse not to be able to write well. Second, 17 years old and an SL55 in 2 years? That isnt fair. Orion blue being sick as in cool sick? Or ugly sick? How many people in the Vette and the other cars? My partner has a 2001 or 2002 Viper so ill be posting some comparisons soon as well.

Thanks for sharing, but you need to drive a Hyundai for a few years so that you can really appreciate a great car when you are older.

T
Old 06-10-2003, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R170
but you need to drive a Hyundai for a few years so that you can really appreciate a great car when you are older.
That's a bit harsh, nobody deserves to drive a Hyundai!
Old 06-10-2003, 07:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL55
you guys should really give up that "you're too young to drive a X" theory
some people are just born into this world better .. or luckier
whichever it is .. dont hate, appreciate
am not saying i believe that guy
neither am i saying i dont.. its just that am sick and tired of reading all those replies with "ur a kid" etc ..
i know its diff in the states, and for the millionth time .. here we have 18 yr olds in modena's and murcielago's

q8i
Old 06-10-2003, 02:16 PM

2003 Mercedes SL55
About 17 year olds

First of all, I do agree, being 17 years is a very pathetic excuse for poor writing skills, unless English is a 2nd language. I hire and fire people partially on their ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral forms. So, quit your whining and learn how to write.

That being said, if a parent wants to buy a 17 year old kid a car, then so be it. I think this race on public roads is very irresponsible, and that's the reason most of us old-farts think 17 year olds shouldn't be driving fast cars. I've raced my M3 and previously owned GT-2 on a track, and I'm more than satisfied.

The biggest problem with a 17 year old driving a lethal car is that the parents become liable. I just hope his parents have a huge umbrella policy.

I think if I were to buy my daughter an expensive car it would be safe, easy to drive, and if she did anything wrong, she'd be grounded for about a billion years. She just turned 16 and I got her an A6 2.7 which allows her to drive her friends around (when she's legal to do so), and is a safe, well-built vehicle. Besides, it's an Audi, so it's not like she's going to get into too much trouble.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:51 PM

G55AMG rare car, do you have any pics? Is the car from your parents?

Hope for you that you get the SL sooner

Thanks for sharing, but you need to drive a Hyundai for a few years so that you can really appreciate a great car when you are older
That's really cruel! Enjoy the Benz!
Old 06-10-2003, 02:58 PM

MB G500
I am 19 and I can converse and write well in both german and english. I started learning german seven years ago, and am already fluent. It is my opinion that the youth of today's America do not concern themselves with education. I don't like to make hasty generalizations; however, this is my perogative. I think it stems from too much online writing and abbreviating, as well as television. People need to read more books! Instead of blazing down the highway at a million miles an hour, read some Dostoevsky, lol. It's much safer and productive in my opinion.

As for children having nice cars: it is my belief that life is too short and that if you can afford it, buy it. My parents bought me a G500, and I am very gratful that I was born into this life, and not the life of a starving person in a third world country.

My girlfriend thinks I should have a sense of empathy for all people, and consequently, shouldn't spend money on the finer things. I do agree with her to a certain extent, and from a philosophical standpoint, it is possible to link materialism to increased crime. But as long as human nature prevails, I am not going to wait with bated breath for an ideal form of government. Give me my Louis Vuitton and Kant and i'll be happy.

Wow, this is getting really off-topic now. Anyway, my dream car is the SL55, but it's not practical at the moment. Perhaps after law school i'll have the chance to purchase a fast sports car such as the SL55.

On another note: orangemarlin - i've been reading your posts for quite sometime, and I must say, I love your cars

Trending Topics

Old 06-10-2003, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML350
Originally posted by Mowateriology
you guys should really give up that "you're too young to drive a X" theory
some people are just born into this world better .. or luckier
whichever it is .. dont hate, appreciate
am not saying i believe that guy
neither am i saying i dont.. its just that am sick and tired of reading all those replies with "ur a kid" etc ..
i know its diff in the states, and for the millionth time .. here we have 18 yr olds in modena's and murcielago's

q8i
Im not hating. It was meant to be a joke, but some people here are such a bunch of tight a$$es.

T
Old 06-10-2003, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML350
Let me clarify it a little more....with what cars will he be comparing the SL55 to? How many cars has he had the chance to really drive at the age of 17 compared to some of us? The SL55 is THAT MUCH BETTER when you can directly compare it to the thousands of other cars out there from personal driving experience.

On another note, im not American. I just live in this wonderful country.

T
Old 06-11-2003, 12:33 AM

MB G500
Well, i'm 19 and i've driven:

E55
G500
BMW X5
E320
Porsche 993 911
ML400 CDI
C320
Nissan Xtera
Toyota Camery
Yukon XL

Driving inferior cars does, in fact, make you appreciate the finer vehicles, but don't you think a sentence of a few years is a little excessive

The SL55 is THAT MUCH BETTER when you can directly compare it to the thousands of other cars out there from personal driving experience.
Have you had the chance to drive thousands of cars? You must have a lot of time on your hands.
Old 06-11-2003, 01:54 AM

Too Young To Drive
Something doesn't seem right... I've seen and heard several SL55 kills by Z06s, which weigh a good 1200lbs less and is equally as aerodynamically efficient. The Viper has somewhat similar performance to the Z06, which too, weighs less than a Viper. However the Viper is still faster. Slightly.

Now I'm not criticizing you for lying, nor is this a flame post... it could simply be that those guys in the American muscles just didn't shift good or could've been some other factors, but given consistently good shifting from the manual vehicles, they should've won, handily won.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

r171
doesnt really matter which car won. the point is.... who would pick a vette or viper over an SL?
Old 06-11-2003, 10:51 AM
Bilal

"doesnt really matter which car won. the point is.... who would pick a vette or viper over an SL?"

THIS sentence, seems to be the only one that makes sense out of this thread.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

r171
Old 06-11-2003, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
My first car was a Fiat 126p which I hated but at least gave me the hunger to aspire to better cars.
Now,when having a nice car I really feel privileged to drive it,some kids I know that started with M3 or better don't appreciate them so much,it's just too easy for them.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:36 PM

14 'E550
Originally posted by CarlssonCRS
doesnt really matter which car won. the point is.... who would pick a vette or viper over an SL?
I would take my Viper over an SL500 any day of the week......SL55 on the other hand.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

r171
i would never take a dodge over any benz on equal value.... u would have to be nuts....
Old 06-11-2003, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
I think his friend with the C32 was the one who had his car taken away after getting a $3600 ticket.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:53 PM

14 'E550
Originally posted by CarlssonCRS
i would never take a dodge over any benz on equal value.... u would have to be nuts....
The SL500 isn't even in the same category of excitement as a Dodge Viper. We have an E500 (getting a new one actually due to the Nav issue), so I'm not crazy...........the Viper is an extreme sports car and the SL500 is a fancy everyday drop top cruiser (driven the car a number of times). They build about 1300-1500 Vipers per year, hardly what I would call just your average Dodge. If it was, I wouldn't have girls flashing me on the road, people taking photos in front of the car, and people slobbering out their windows.

Not to mention, I have had less problems with the Viper in over 2 years than the E500 has had in the first 3 months.

This board is so materialistic sometimes that it makes me want to vomit.

Oh, my oldman's SL55 is on order.....I'll get to see what its made of when it comes in.

Last edited by Beltfed; 06-12-2003 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
No arguments from me here. Though for me, perhaps the Viper is a little bit too unrefined for my taste. I'm more of a Corvette guy.

Don't mind CarlssonRS. Consider that he drives a C320 with many COSMETIC upgrades, so his preferences are quite obvious. For the majority of my age cohort, attracting women and image preservation are the primary goals. I do not think they are attracted to the hotrodder magazine type girl. And Bilal thinks the SL55 is the best car ever, so you will not be able to convince him really.

I imagine the Viper is quite a handful at the limit?

Originally posted by Doctodd33
The SL55 is THAT MUCH BETTER when you can directly compare it to the thousands of other cars out there from personal driving experience.
Yes, we have all driven many cars. So what? Which car is "better" is such a relative discussion, that one's definition must be stated before you can make any kind of argument. For example, the SL55 is not a good car if you need a sports sedan. Nor is it the most involving car to drive. Nor is it the more luxurious car to drive. I could go on...every car is a function of compromise, the SL55 is no different.

Last edited by JustinTRW; 06-12-2003 at 05:17 AM.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:59 AM
Bilal

"And Bilal thinks the SL55 is the best car ever, so you will not be able to convince him really."

You know me so well!:p Thanks for remembering me.

Guys, If Jeremy Clarkson, the guy who has driven every car in the world, possible ever, traded in a 355 and spent 90000 pounds of his own money, on it, it must be!
Old 06-12-2003, 12:33 PM

Did somebody write that girls flash you when you are driving a viper? I am definitely driving the wrong car then....

amgB
Old 06-12-2003, 12:58 PM

14 'E550
Originally posted by AMGB
Did somebody write that girls flash you when you are driving a viper? I am definitely driving the wrong car then....

amgB
Oh you read that correctly, the Viper is a "huge" P Magnet.

I'm going to miss it, its going in Oct. because as JustinTRW pointed out....the Viper is unrefined (very well made, but unrefined). The heat the car gives off is just out of control and with the traffic in my area, it is just too much for the street (only has 7500 miles on it).

The new SRT is better, but still falls short (plus it doesn't look nearly as good as the Gen IIs).
Old 06-13-2003, 02:08 AM

Originally posted by Bilal
"And Bilal thinks the SL55 is the best car ever, so you will not be able to convince him really."

You know me so well!:p Thanks for remembering me.

Guys, If Jeremy Clarkson, the guy who has driven every car in the world, possible ever, traded in a 355 and spent 90000 pounds of his own money, on it, it must be!
didn't know he bought one! and that instead of the 355? Isn't that his favourite car all times.. for ever? But then again, isn't that quy RICh? What's another 90K for him...
Old 06-13-2003, 04:48 AM
Bilal

Good point. He sold his 355 for it. Still, 90K is a lot of money over here. for a car...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 Vs ZO6 Vs Viper