SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Question about tune & pulley (SL55)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 09:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
Question about tune & pulley (SL55)

Hi all...I don't post much but am looking for a little direction. I have a bone stock SL55 with 35k on the clock, no mods, and am looking for a little more power. I don't want anything that will hamper the driveability or reliability. Looking for the most reputable vendor that offers a SC pulley and tune. Trying to get around 50 HP extra to the wheels.
Thanks!
Old 02-11-2017, 02:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Just what I was looking for..

...and I got it. I really love the way the car performs stock and I have a performance package 030 car. Talk to Shardul for what you want. Slightly smaller Kompressor pulley and belt wrap kit for sure. This will run slightly higher boost and you do not need a tune. I am going to run some better air filters (K&N, BMC, or just make sure the stock ones are new) and possibly remove the resonators with straight pipes. This should put me close to 550 hp and a bit more torque. I think the latter does not do too much, but if I want more power, I will go back to Shardul and pick up headers and a tune. But for now, I want what you want. I haven't had time to put the pulley and BWK on but when I do, I will post results. I also got new billet pulleys from Shardul just to freshen up the front of the motor.

Cheers!

Shaun
Old 02-11-2017, 05:37 PM

2007 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by PoCoAMG
...and I got it. I really love the way the car performs stock and I have a performance package 030 car. Talk to Shardul for what you want. Slightly smaller Kompressor pulley and belt wrap kit for sure. This will run slightly higher boost and you do not need a tune. I am going to run some better air filters (K&N, BMC, or just make sure the stock ones are new) and possibly remove the resonators with straight pipes. This should put me close to 550 hp and a bit more torque. I think the latter does not do too much, but if I want more power, I will go back to Shardul and pick up headers and a tune. But for now, I want what you want. I haven't had time to put the pulley and BWK on but when I do, I will post results. I also got new billet pulleys from Shardul just to freshen up the front of the motor.

Cheers!

Shaun
Please post results when available. Does Shardul have a website I can check out or is he a local guy for you?
Old 02-12-2017, 02:35 PM

2018 E63S AMG
Shardul is all over this site...

..He is nig in the E55 community as well as here. He was excellent to deal with ans 100% professional. Do a search, you will find him. He posts great sales on his stuff every once in a while as well. I will post my progress when it is all installed. In Vancouver we are getting hit with an unusually snowing winter.

Cheers!

Shaun
Old 02-13-2017, 01:58 PM

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2003 E55, 2003 SL55, 2014 CLS63, 2018 q50 Redsport, 1968 Camaro SS, 1999 Trans am Firehawk
just a 83mm pulley with no tune will not get you up to 550hp from 497. don't use high flow filters as high flow means low filtering. the bottleneck in the air intake track is the throttle body, not the dual intake piping setup or filters. run oem filters. removing the factory resonator will give you little to no power difference. removing the primary cats will, but that can be a problem in states that run emissions inspections.

a tune and no pulley will provide a greater power increase than the pulley with no tune. if you're getting the pulley, also get the tune. your power increase will be more than double vs just going with a pulley.

shardul has a website, http://ultimatepd.com/, but you will likely get much better pricing if you PM him directly on MBworld or wait for a sale. He also doesn't sell bolt on ready headers for the SL55. The headers and downpipes (like eurocharged) were designed for an E55 and though the headers will fit an SL55 the downpipes won't and you will have to have something custom made by an exhaust shop to get them to fit (they also require removing the primary cats). This midlength design, which is also very similar to kleemanns, have a history of cracking particularly on SL cars that don't have the exhaust mounting bracket that attaches to the transmission and makes the rest of the exhaust rock with the engine/tranny/headers. This puts a lot more stress on the headers and can lead to welds cracking. Personally I spent the extra money and went with MBH headers on mine mostly b/c I didn't want to have to do the job twice, but also b/c they make more power.

BTW shardul is the one that makes the pulleys for eurocharged and eurocharged are the ones that provide tunes to shardul's customers. As far as supercharged pulleys are concerned, they were the only game in town until recently and now a 2nd company makes them, though the quality of this new 2nd company some are questioning.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:15 PM

2018 E63S AMG
just a 83mm pulley with no tune will not get you up to 550hp from 497. don't use high flow filters as high flow means low filtering. the bottleneck in the air intake track is the throttle body, not the dual intake piping setup or filters. run oem filters. removing the factory resonator will give you little to no power difference. removing the primary cats will, but that can be a problem in states that run emissions inspections
I agree with this. Mine is a 2007 so I am at 510 HP from the factory so if I am getting 1-2 pounds more pounds of boost, yes I guess 550 is optimistic but I think close. I think the Belt Wrap Kit is a big plus. I could take off one of my cats here in Vancouver because we dropped our aircare program. I know the resonators don't add HP but probably drop sound weight? So when it comes to filters, maybe just newer stock ones is adequate? I had K&N's in my E55 and had troubles with them but did not have the car a long time so long term conclusions on filtering and power are very little..

Thanks for the additional details on above and the headers carguyshu

Cheers!

Shaun

P.S. Now I may get that eurocharged tune...
The following users liked this post:
J.L.K (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 05:04 PM

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2003 E55, 2003 SL55, 2014 CLS63, 2018 q50 Redsport, 1968 Camaro SS, 1999 Trans am Firehawk
Originally Posted by PoCoAMG
I agree with this. Mine is a 2007 so I am at 510 HP from the factory so if I am getting 1-2 pounds more pounds of boost, yes I guess 550 is optimistic but I think close. I think the Belt Wrap Kit is a big plus. I could take off one of my cats here in Vancouver because we dropped our aircare program. I know the resonators don't add HP but probably drop sound weight? So when it comes to filters, maybe just newer stock ones is adequate? I had K&N's in my E55 and had troubles with them but did not have the car a long time so long term conclusions on filtering and power are very little..

Thanks for the additional details on above and the headers carguyshu

Cheers!

Shaun

P.S. Now I may get that eurocharged tune...
if yours is an 07 you have larger injectors, a larger 80mm TB, and a supercharger that has slightly different gearing vs earlier models (about 1/2 lb more boost).

The belt wrap is wise as is the other metal pulleys you bought. The plastic ones on mine when I swapped them to the metal UPD units were all cracked and about ready to let go. Glad I replaced them before they did. Just buy OEM filters as they are excellent at filtering. Cheapest place to buy dealer parts online I've found is MBdirectparts.com out of Omaha, NE.

MBH guarantees a minimum 40rwhp gain on their headers. Here's a thread on adding those and nothing else. You will find that these will be the most reliable of all of the mods you can do and will increase efficiency as well as power due to the amount of heat they help get out of the engine. Your boost will actually go down (since boost is a measure of restriction) by adding headers, which means less strain will also be on the engine.

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...o-results.html
J.L.K (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 05:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Thanks for the referral guys!
J.L.K (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 06:44 PM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
2006 E55, 2006 SL55, 2006 LS7 Ute
I have an 83mm pulley and an EC tune only on my E55 and I am very pleased with the stealthy performance. Substantial seat of the pants improvement.
J.L.K (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 10:09 PM

2007 SL55 AMG
F.Y.I. Mine is a 2007 as well.. What exactly is a belt wrap kit? And is the same SC belt used? Last question...how much boost does it make stock and then again with the 83mm pulley?
Old 02-14-2017, 11:25 AM

2018 E63S AMG
Search Belt Wrap Kit...

...it will bring up the product. It improves upon the surface area the supercharger belt comes into contact with the pulley. It makes complete sense because the stock arrangement allows for some "slip" which in turn loses boost. I think the 83mm pulley adds 1.5 to 2 pounds of boost.

Shaun