SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Parktronic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 06:50 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parktronic?

Hello. My wife and I have been looking at getting a SL55 and the dealer has 2 he can get on short order but they are without parktronic. As we have other cars with parking assist and we both like it, I was wondering if anyone could comment on how important they think this option is for the SL. I ask because they seem to be having a more difficult time than expected finding a car with parktronic that they can trade for. The dealer says many people do not order it on the SL because its relatively small and easy to judge.

Best regards,
Jerry
Old 08-20-2004, 07:29 AM

SL65/ML55/BMW M3 CSL
Parktronic

Hello Jerry

I do not want to miss this feature in my cars any longer. Even when the SL is not that big - it is better to listen to this "beep" than to ask your garage for a paintjob on your bumper.

Here in France there are no SL's offered WITHOUT parctronic - it is a standard item in our cars over here.

kind regards from France

Walter
Old 08-20-2004, 07:37 AM

sl 500
get it !!!!, the cars has a long bonnet, and the rear sits higher. i cannot live without mine

monty
Old 08-20-2004, 08:57 AM
Almost a Member!

Thanks guys

I was planning on holding out for such an equipped car, but I wanted to hear from other owners. The lack of parktronic is one thing that really puzzles me about how MBUSA must set up its options packages- I think it should be standard. The other thing that really amazes me is it seems the AMG cars (at least the USA ones) come standard with an open differential and not a limited slip differential. Please tell me if I'm wrong on that. For my purposes this is acceptable, but I would think with all that power, MB would want you you to have the most opportunity to use it for both straight line and cornering purposes. No matter what, my wife and I are excited for this fine vehicle.

Best regards,
Jerry
Old 08-20-2004, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
If they have to install the LSD standard on the AMG cars, they would have to pass a special DOT test for the LSD.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:46 AM
Almost a Member!

Thats true- and thats expensive. Im used to BMW's M cars having them. I think I can understand why they wouldn't want to go through the expense with the AMG volume being lower than M- but thats for now. It seems to me that the AMG treatment is offered over a wider variety of models than the corresponding M treatment on BMWs and also that the AMG sales volume is really increasing. Given AMG's propensity to build engines with eye watering torque, they really should use this. ESP (DSC in BMW speak) is great, but its no substitute for a real honest LSD. That said, in my test drives of the SL55, I did not notice a drastic need for it.

Best Regards,
Jerry
Old 08-20-2004, 01:32 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Mercedes S550
Parktronic

I didn't get parktronic on my SL55. I really miss it. It would be nice if there was a backup monitor too. My Lexus had me spoiled.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:13 PM

SL65/ML55/BMW M3 CSL
Originally Posted by AMG Jerry
The other thing that really amazes me is it seems the AMG cars (at least the USA ones) come standard with an open differential and not a limited slip differential.
Jerry

The ONLY car (SL R230) with a LSD is the SL65 - all the other AMG's can get this as an option even here in Europe. Believe me - THIS car is in need of this more than any other car !!

Just go to the AMG web page to the MANUFACTUR section - and you will see the prices and options over there ! ( AMG Manufaktur Downloads )

Have a nice weekend
and kind regards from France

Walter
Old 08-21-2004, 08:56 AM

Yes, amazingly the SL lacks an LSD. Except for the 65. Why I really don't know, for Mercedes not to include it with performance not being a big issue OK, but for AMG, I don't know what they were thinking. I would strongly recommend getting one fiited from an aftermarket tuner or such.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:17 AM
Almost a Member!

SL550
I agree with monty. The car seems small so it would seem you would not need it but with the hood length and the back higher it can be hard to see. Especially in the front. One scrap on a curb and you will wish you had it. I don't have it but wish I had ordered it.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:19 PM
Almost a Member!

Thank you guys for the input. I will wait for a parktronic car or for an allocation.