SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Renntech or Evosport?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63
Renntech or Evosport?

My SL55 with performance package will arrive soon. Please let me know whether Rennetch or Evosport(Powerchip) pulley system is better.
Thanks
Simon
Old 12-06-2004, 08:23 PM

SL55AMG
Originally Posted by simonlam168
Please let me know whether Rennetch or Evosport(Powerchip) pulley system is better.
Thanks
Simon
Depends on which ECU chip you went with. The Evosport pulley system is designed specifically for the Powerchip upgrade. I would imagine the Renntech folks would also tell you that their pulley system performs best with their chip.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
So is it possible to jus buy the powerchip and then go to evosport to get their pulley?
Old 12-08-2004, 02:45 PM

SL55AMG
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
So is it possible to jus buy the powerchip and then go to evosport to get their pulley?
Yes. If you live in the LA area Powerchip will do the install at their offices in Santa Monica. You can then deal with EVO for the pulley kit any time thereafter.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Originally Posted by SLVRSL55
Yes. If you live in the LA area Powerchip will do the install at their offices in Santa Monica. You can then deal with EVO for the pulley kit any time thereafter.
Thanks.

Another question though. By going to powerchip for their ecu and then evosport for their pull kit come out to be less then gettin the actual package from evosport? Or does it end up coming up the same. How much is the powerchip ecu for the 55K engine???
Old 12-10-2004, 04:17 PM

SL55AMG
It works out to be the same. Just more convenient for me to go to Santa Monica than OC, especially given that I chose not to do the pulley upgrade. I was happy with just the chip and didn't want to jeapordize my warranty. I would think all the pricing is on their website. Enjoy.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:25 AM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
It works out to be the same. Just more convenient for me to go to Santa Monica than OC, especially given that I chose not to do the pulley upgrade. I was happy with just the chip and didn't want to jeapordize my warranty. I would think all the pricing is on their website. Enjoy.
No mention of the Kleemann ECU upgrade... any thoughts?

- Ian
Old 12-14-2004, 10:54 AM

SL55AMG
Didn't mention Brabus, either. Like Kleeman, there are lots of good choices out there. I chose Powerchip because while it removed the limiter and added noticeable power, it did so in a useable manner. I don't race the car and don't want to hassle finding 93 octane gas. (Although Powerchip does offer a more aggressive chip setting for 93 Octane, if you desire.) I was concerned that a more radical race inspired ECU setting might make the car a bit more jittery and reduce its manners as an everyday driver. I've never had cold starting problems or stalls, as have been reported by others with other ECU upgrades.

I have no personal experience with the others, but am very pleased with the Powerchip. No, it's certainly not cheap, but for me the closer was their professionalism on the phone and a no questions asked 10-day "like-it-or-your-money-back" trial period. I also like the fact that they view the purchase as a lifetime software license and if I were to change other components on the car (exhaust, tranny settings, etc) they would reflash my ECU with appropriate updated settings at no additional charge.

But once again, Kleemann, Brabus, RennTech... these are all professional top notch tuners. I'd just go with who you feel comfortable with and who you are closest too, in the unlikely event you have problems.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:16 AM

I understand that powerchip is not smog legal in california. Does that mean the E55 with the powerchip will not pass the smog test when we renew our registration?

amgB
Old 12-14-2004, 12:57 PM

SL55AMG
Originally Posted by AMGB
I understand that powerchip is not smog legal in california. Does that mean the E55 with the powerchip will not pass the smog test when we renew our registration?

amgB
There's a big difference between whether a company has received certification from the State of California vs. whether a car with their product will actually pass a smog test. From what I'm told, Powerchip is in the final phases of the approval process. That having been said, their product does pass the smog test, as did my SL55.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:28 PM

'19 GT 4 63s ,'17 Bentley Bentayga, '06 Ford GT
Depends on which ECU chip you went with. The Evosport pulley system is designed specifically for the Powerchip upgrade. I would imagine the Renntech folks would also tell you that their pulley system performs best with their chip.
I agree don't mix and match pullies and chips, just buy them from the same tuner. Also make sure you don't get a bush mechanic to fit the pulley. I just heard about a person who bought a **an ECU upgrade** then got a pulley fitted by some backyard mechanic outfit and the pulley ended up flying off the crank after a few miles. Not a good look for your SL55!

<MOD: edited by mod to prevent any misunderstanding by anyone>
Old 12-15-2004, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Originally Posted by OzSL55
I agree don't mix and match pullies and chips, just buy them from the same tuner. Also make sure you don't get a bush mechanic to fit the pulley. I just heard about a person who bought **an ECU upgrade** then got a pulley fitted by some backyard mechanic outfit and the pulley ended up flying off the crank after a few miles. Not a good look for your SL55!
Just to clarify, this had NOTHING to do with software and 100% to do with faulty installation. Just want to make sure that people don't infer and blame the ECU upgrade!

Thanks

Brad
Old 12-15-2004, 06:23 PM

'19 GT 4 63s ,'17 Bentley Bentayga, '06 Ford GT
Originally Posted by otoupalik
Just to clarify, this had NOTHING to do with software and 100% to do with faulty installation. Just want to make sure that people don't infer and blame the ECU upgrade!

Thanks

Brad
I thought it was pretty clearly mechanical the way I said it. Perhaps they're not as saavy here as over at modularfords.com, but I think most understood it. And if I can also back things up, it would be foolish to go with **either** a "ECU flash" or a "physical chip upgrade" to your ECU (the fact that it was any brand of program in this case is totally irrelevant) from one tuner and a pulley from another unless you can guarantee both pullies are exactly the same size. Sizing does not appear to be commonly specified on most benz tuners websites, unlike pulley upgrades for Fords,etc. Also as I said get a decent mechanic to fit the pulley also..

**MOD: Again edited as any brand name is just irrelevant to the thread**
Old 12-15-2004, 06:31 PM

SL55AMG
I think we're all pretty much saying the same thing here...
Old 12-15-2004, 07:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Go for Evosport pulley's and the whatever chips evosport offers.

My suggestions, call them up and see what they have for your car (it's already specced out in stages).