SLK/R170: Found a nice SLK...opinion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Found a nice SLK...opinion

Hey guys,

after my bad experience with a dealer concerning a 1999 slk,which had many mistakes and with no offer of an kind of warranty.

I found another one, which sounds promising looks literally excellent.

Its a 2002 SLK 230, Silver with 53000 miles.Has Power Driver Seat,heated seats etc Bose sound.

The dealer offers me at no cost 3 months, 3000 miles warranty....

The asking price is 16.900 and I think I will go for it...with a peace of mind.
Has all inspection records for me available.

The warranty part was and is the main important thing for me.

All though silver is not my first choice, i like black and red..but I assume silver looks pretty sleek as well..
I will check it out either this weekend or next week.

any opinions or thought?

I also wondered,has any of you ever purchased the SLK and actually completely changed the color of the car? aka from red to black or so? just wondering.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Found a nice SLK...opinion-7590243224.245765588.im1.03.565x421_a.562x421.jpg  
Old 07-02-2008, 06:41 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz SLK-230 Kompressor
Looks like a very sharp car!

My 2002 230 had 53,000 miles when I bought it 4 months ago and it was indeed well taken care of. Mine was $17,500. Not a single problem with it.

The fact that the dealer is offering a warranty like that without charge speaks to the dealership's belief that the vehicle will not be a problem.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:35 AM

2002 slk230K 1986 560sl
Sounds like a good deal, post some pictures when you get your new ride.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:42 PM

C300
I am going there on thursday and probabaly will buy the car then and there.
It all depense though how much they will offer for my current car.

My goal was to get a black slk 230, or red....but for some reason the silver color looks on the mercedes totally nice.

If I get the car I will take pics and show you guys....

I talk to the dealer and they offer me for 3 month/3.000 miles warranty.
Part and labor 50% - 50%.

I was still debating about the color, but whats your guys' opinion.
How much did the color matter to you upon a purchase of the SLK...

did you get the color u wanted and or went by what was good for your money?
Old 07-06-2008, 06:45 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz SLK-230 Kompressor
Originally Posted by HBKHBK
I am going there on thursday and probabaly will buy the car then and there.
It all depense though how much they will offer for my current car.

My goal was to get a black slk 230, or red....but for some reason the silver color looks on the mercedes totally nice.

If I get the car I will take pics and show you guys....

I talk to the dealer and they offer me for 3 month/3.000 miles warranty.
Part and labor 50% - 50%.

I was still debating about the color, but whats your guys' opinion.
How much did the color matter to you upon a purchase of the SLK...

did you get the color u wanted and or went by what was good for your money?

Definitely get the color you want. Don't settle on something you don't really like/want because over time you'll begin not to like it anymore. If you really want a black or red car, hold out for it. You'll find one that is perfect for you.

Mike
Old 07-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Almost a Member!

I got the color that i wanted, and for some reason it cost a bit more than other color. I love it every time I look at it. however, due to bad economy and insane gas prices I think I might have to let it go soon.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:14 PM

C300
bad news haha, the car dealer e mailed me today,telling me someone bought the car today,and I was suppose to buy it this thursday. Oh well i guess...

But my real goal was to have a black slk anyways and the car was silver,even though the car sounded and looked nice.But listening to some opinions of you guys,i realized and figured,If you are gonna buy this dream car,make sure its the color u always wanted.

Now I have another option.
I am from Ohio and there is a nice 2001 slk 230 in the Chicago area and its about 4 hours away from me. It has 54k miles for $15.900. Its from Bently Dealership.

The price sounds fair to me and the car looks in great condition.I am now debating if I should go there or not...or wait till something nice appears around my location.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:50 PM

SLK 320
do you want manual or automatic?

I'm not an automatic kind of guy, but if you are and are ok with a 1999 and auto, you could check this out:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/car/730050761.html

Here is a 2001 - don't know if its auto or manual:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e=&cardist=165

This one is silver and auto but a 2002:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e=&cardist=114

Heres a black SLK 320, auto, for a decent price:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e=&cardist=112

Here is a 1999, auto:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ce=&cardist=97

Here is another silver, but its the SLK 320 and I believe the sport model like mine -- looks like the only difference between this car and mine is that this is, you guessed it, another auto:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e=&cardist=199

As you can see, plenty of auto's out there, so if you are looking for that, shouldn't have a hard time finding one, but black and red seem to be a slightly harder color to find and then if you want manual, good luck! =) I had to look daily for around 2-3 weeks to located a manual that was in decent condition and I still had to travel 2.5 hours to get to it -- manuals seem to be a challenge to find..

Hope this helps, and maybe positing you zip code would help so we know where you are located -- I was basing my search in the OH area and then within 200 miles of 44012 which I guess is Avon Lake, OH -- dono =)

Anyway, best of luck in your search -- it pays to find the exact vehicle you want up front -- you will be much happier than just getting any SLK just to have one!

||SLK320||
Old 07-20-2008, 03:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HBKHBK
bad news haha, the car dealer e mailed me today,telling me someone bought the car today,and I was suppose to buy it this thursday. Oh well i guess...

But my real goal was to have a black slk anyways and the car was silver,even though the car sounded and looked nice.But listening to some opinions of you guys,i realized and figured,If you are gonna buy this dream car,make sure its the color u always wanted.

Now I have another option.
I am from Ohio and there is a nice 2001 slk 230 in the Chicago area and its about 4 hours away from me. It has 54k miles for $15.900. Its from Bently Dealership.

The price sounds fair to me and the car looks in great condition.I am now debating if I should go there or not...or wait till something nice appears around my location.
Mate... dont ask on a forum what you should do??
Its only a days turnaround drive, go and have a look. Enjoy the trip
One thing to take in mind, IF it should need any warranty work you wont want to drive 4 houre?? or will you?? your call not mine..

Bazzle
Old 07-20-2008, 06:36 PM

RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
Look for the color you want if you don't need the car tomorrow, but realize that looking for a specific color combo means more shopping time. I decided that the option package I wanted was more important than the color, and so far, I'm still damned happy!

The R170's where pretty damn good cars, but do keep in mind that parts and service are what you would expect for a 50k car, so if you can get a warranty, all the better. Oh, and I'd stay away from the idea of "changing" the color of the car - on a Mercedes (or pretty much any German car), you are going to be killing your resale value if you respray it.

Last edited by UK-C200; 07-20-2008 at 06:41 PM.