SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Ideal exterior/interior colour combo...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 230
Ideal exterior/interior colour combo...

Hi,

This has probably been vented before but i just wondered if i can start up this conversation as I do find it interesting. I was having a conversation with a few friends as to what combination seems classy - and shock horror we all actually agreed - and i wondered what everyone else thought. The scheme we ended up picking was black exterior and cream leather interior...what are other members' thoughts? Does it make a difference if it is an SLK or an SL? Should Mercedes offer other colours - if so which? I would be interested to know people's collective thoughts.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2005, 06:16 PM

My only criticism of black is that it shows dust 2 minutes after you wash it (my other car is black). It also hides the lines of the SLK. I like the SL in black better than the SLK. The cream leather can also require constant cleaning for some people.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SLK350
Talking Firemist and Nappa Brown

I belive that sports cars should have some glint and glean to them so I prefer the slightly brighter colors. I also like leather that has the look and feel of leather.

So I have on order one of the first '06s with nappa brown leather. I really want the firemist red look with that. Unfortunately, it is impossible actually see anything like it since the only other car to have the nappa brown was the launch edition SLK350 (in pewter). So its a bit of risk for me.

In an interesting twist Nappa Brown will soon be offerred in the SL, but to keep the brands straight the surcharge will be 3 times as much as for the SLK.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C320 Coupe MT
The best for longevity is light exterior and dark interior. The light interiors look really nice at first, but in my experience if you look that them, they get dirty!

And, with a light exterior, you can avoid all of the swirl mark, etc. problems.

That's just my opinion, but I have kids too.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SLK350
Dark interiors are not great choices in covertibles...at least in climates where the sun shines. Intermediate colors are probably best from a longevity and comfort point of view. But I thought we were talking aesthetics here.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:36 AM
Almost a Member!

Silver w/ cream interior looks very sharp.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:57 PM

'08 SL65
Old Wive's Tale: Dark interiors are hotter than light interiors in HOT (as in AZ) climates.
All are the same temp. Trust me, I know.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:10 PM

2005 SLK350, Mars Red - Tan Interiors
Originally Posted by AC556F
Old Wive's Tale: Dark interiors are hotter than light interiors in HOT (as in AZ) climates.
Well, if it were not a matter of being exposed to light energy, rather than heat energy, you would be right. But for a convertible with the top down (exposed to light), in a "HOT" environement (lots of intense light), dark interiors absorb more energy than light interiors (which are reflecting the energy away, and thus appear light), and therefore they get hotter given exactly the same conditions. It's basic physics. I think those old wives were right, and apparently highly educated as well.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:49 PM

'08 SL65
What do you know about summer & heat. In Seattle summer is on July 6th this year, isn't it? I spent 30 years in the Seattle are before I moved to HELL. And just how much difference in temp. is there between a black & white interior seat in the direct sun? Do you think your rear end can discern the diff. between 135º and 130º?

The big thing in AZ (besides kid drowning in back yard pools) is parents leaving their kids in locked cars. The cops and the news media have specials seemingly every night about this problem. They put digital thermal instruments in a variety of vehicles (vans, sedans, PU trucks, etc.) to show that in less than 3 minutes (or whatever short amount of time) the rugrat is left in the car while mommy is getting her nails done, the kid's toast. 133º was the baseline, and they commented how dark cars w/o tinted widows heated up faster than white or light metallic cars did. The interior's top temp. though was within 4-5 degrees. Hot is hot. Sheepskins are fairly big sellers here. I prefer a beach towel(s). Shade is good too.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:33 AM

2005 SLK350, Mars Red - Tan Interiors
What do you know about summer & heat. In Seattle summer is on July 6th this year, isn't it?
Well, indeed you are right about Seattle, although I think summer is limited to between 2:00 and 4:00 in the afternoon on July 6th.

But I did grow up in Los Angeles, and although it is not quite Arizona (actually, it's a lot like Arizona without the miles and miles of kitty litter), I remember a few days of 112 in the shade. And I have lived in Houston, Dallas (30 consecutive days over 100 degrees), and Honolulu. In all cities I had the chance to experience dark vs light interiors. I'll keep my tan leather, thank you.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:42 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
AC556F, I think you are missing a VERY large point.

The point (and previous posts) were NOT about the max temperature in the car, it was about comfort.

A dark interior will HOLD the heat longer (i.e. require more time to cool down).

Go to a parking lot with bright sun at 100F.. It may be 100F everwhere in the parking lot, but put your hand on a white car, then see how long you can leave your hand on a black car.

Then move both cars into the shade. Wait 5 minutes and touch each again.

Same for interior colors.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:24 PM

'08 SL65
bloflin, I agree with comfort & car color choice. I would NEVER buy a black (or even dark color) car while living here in AZ. The difference is in the interior. I personally can't stand the look of light colored interiors and will put up with a tiny bit of dsicomfort for the minute amount of time it takes to cool off of a black leather interior vs beige leather interior. Personal chioce.
One of my favorite cars I owned was a '67 Firebird 400 convertable that I had when I lived in L.A. in the late 60's/early 70's. Red with a black vinyl interior and a black top. It was always parked outside, top up or top down. That sumb!tch was always H-O-T to sit in... NO A/C either! But it was so cool to drive I put up with it. A fellow student had a '71 Cuda 340 convert. with a white vinyl interior and a white top. That sumb!th was hot to sit in too, but I liked the looks of mine better than his. :v
Old 06-27-2005, 03:50 AM
HJR
Almost a Member!

2006 CLK350
HOT (as in AZ) climates

I lived in Tucson for 20 yrs and have lived in Central Fla for the last 10 (will be going back to Tucson w/in the next yr).

I had heard that leather is hot no matter what the color. Might be a dumb question but does the interior of a light color feel as stifling as a dark color or is it just that the leather feels hot?