SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Xenon upgrade?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xenon upgrade?

Just purchased a near new 2005 SLK . Only option I wanted that it didn't have was the lighting package. Can I at least upgrade bulbs ? Anyone tried the Silver stars? Is it a difficult replacement process? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-09-2006, 05:51 AM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
Originally Posted by Dendude
Just purchased a near new 2005 SLK . Only option I wanted that it didn't have was the lighting package. Can I at least upgrade bulbs ? Anyone tried the Silver stars? Is it a difficult replacement process? Thanks in advance!
I'm in the same situation. I'm a big Xenon HID fan. Purchased a nearly new 2006 SLK with most must have options. No Xenon lights. I switched out the factory high and low H7 bulbs with the Sylvania SilverStars. Best access to the rear of the light assemblies is through the front wheel well. Jack the car, remove the front wheels. The wheel well liner is in two pieces. Remove the front section, about eight bolts. You'll have complete access to the rear of the light assemblies. Takes about fifteen minutes per side. The Sylvania SilverStars are probably the best non HID halogen lights. I found several sets at WalMart for $30 each. Many cheap lights available, most are cheap junk.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:48 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by -1-
Best access to the rear of the light assemblies is through the front wheel well. Jack the car, remove the front wheels. The wheel well liner is in two pieces. Remove the front section, about eight bolts. You'll have complete access to the rear of the light assemblies.
Can you still do this and get access (perhaps somewhat more limited), by turning the wheels all the way to lock on one side, then the other way for the other side?

So you would not have to remove the wheels?

Or is it still to hard to get your hands in there?
Old 01-09-2006, 09:12 PM
-1-

Originally Posted by bloflin
Can you still do this and get access (perhaps somewhat more limited), by turning the wheels all the way to lock on one side, then the other way for the other side?

So you would not have to remove the wheels?

Or is it still to hard to get your hands in there?
Why struggle? It's super easy to jack the car, remove the front wheel and have plenty of access to remove the wheel well liner to gain access to the rear section of the light assemblies.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:13 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
...or have your halogen headlights swapped for factory bi xenon headlights...just like hundreds of 203 people already did...

greetingz,
Old 01-10-2006, 06:09 AM
-1-

Originally Posted by MBenzNL
...or have your halogen headlights swapped for factory bi xenon headlights...just like hundreds of 203 people already did...

greetingz,
I would prefer factory biXenon headlights. Do you sell these? I checked your web site and nothing listed for the R171. Not willing to pay dealer prices. Do you have a source and pricing? Educate us.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:56 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
we have a lot of upgrades for the 171 SLK (including bi xenons that are in stock) - we just do not have anytime to update the site...

mail info@MBenzNL.com for pricing info

greetingz,
Old 01-10-2006, 01:32 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by -1-
Why struggle? It's super easy to jack the car, remove the front wheel and have plenty of access to remove the wheel well liner to gain access to the rear section of the light assemblies.
It is a question I was looking for an answer too.

Do you have an answer?