SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Valet locking disabled

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Black SLK 350
Exclamation Valet locking disabled

Took a trip to the dealership today to learn that the deadbolt lock on the trunk of my SLK (and many of the new Benz's apparently) is disabled. The mechanical key can open the electronically locked trunk, but does not turn fully in the other direction to lock it. I called MB corp., who believe it or not said it's related to new Federal regulations requiring kidnap escape access from inside the trunk, which deadbolting prevents. (Huh?) They also said they've received lots of complaints from customers because there is no other secure storage in the SLK. Unlike the C320 with working valet keys I traded in, there is no mechanical lock on the glove compartment and in LA, where you have to constantly valet, having no place to lock valuables like change, ipods, etc. is unworkable. Not to mention, there's barely room for a set of golf clubs, much less a person in the SLK trunk. But the irrationality of it aside, has anyone figured out how to remove whatever is inhibiting the deadbolt from turning completely, or know of someone who can address that in the LA area? Much obliged.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:15 AM

'07 Black SLK 350
Wish I'd known

I've read through several other posts on this topic for other MB models (what a big mess) and will see if there is any valet lock retrofit available through the dealer. Meanwhile, if anyone has had this successfully addressed on a recent-year SLK, knows anything about a part # for a replacement cylinder, knowledgable local tech, etc., could you please forward the info? Next adventure - reverse parking mirror setting. Guessing that's not implemented either. Thx.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:01 PM

2012 SLK 350 Mars Red
Originally Posted by 1BlackBenz
I've read through several other posts on this topic for other MB models (what a big mess) and will see if there is any valet lock retrofit available through the dealer. Meanwhile, if anyone has had this successfully addressed on a recent-year SLK, knows anything about a part # for a replacement cylinder, knowledgable local tech, etc., could you please forward the info? Next adventure - reverse parking mirror setting. Guessing that's not implemented either. Thx.
The reverse parking mirror drop-down feature does work if you have the memory seat option and its enabled in the menu system (on 2006 models in the US anyway).
Old 03-28-2007, 07:43 PM

2005 SLK350, Mars Red - Tan Interiors
Originally Posted by SLK280DS
The reverse parking mirror drop-down feature does work if you have the memory seat option and its enabled in the menu system (on 2006 models in the US anyway).
The only caveat I would add to that is that you have to have the right side mirror button selected for it to work. If the two buttons on either side of the mirror control knob are unlit, or if the left side one is lit, the parking mirror will not work. At least that is the way it is on my 2005 SLK.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:36 PM

2012 SLK 350 Mars Red
Originally Posted by Maverick
The only caveat I would add to that is that you have to have the right side mirror button selected for it to work. If the two buttons on either side of the mirror control knob are unlit, or if the left side one is lit, the parking mirror will not work. At least that is the way it is on my 2005 SLK.
Works the same way on my 06 SLK.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:22 AM

2006 E350
valet key

I was ready to take the SLK into service after I discovered that the valet key does not lock the trunk, until I read the above post, So I went and checked my E 350 and the valet key locks that trunk with no problem. Why it would work on that vehicle,which also has the emergency release inside the trunk and not the SLK is strange.

RL
Old 03-31-2007, 07:26 PM

'07 Black SLK 350
More answers, questions

Search the forums for valet lock and you'll find several posts about this problem, as well as other features that have been changed/eliminated, ie.: parking assist. It seems it's not in my Convenience Setting menu, and I haven't been able to get it to work. Can anyone tell me the exact procedure they used for their SLK? Per a search of the board, it appears I may have to (ask nicely) at MB to have my software flashed. Growl. My beef is with the dealership for not spelling out these surprising changes, knowing I was an existing owner who was about to lose them. I plan to deal with all this when I bring the car in for the 1K mi, service. A drag, because otherwise I love driving it.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
I pointed this out many years ago on my W211. It sucks. My dealer told me they can install it for $275 including parts and labour. I didn't do it but my new CLS63 does have the lock and that's an 07 so I call BS on the Federal regulations ...

Here are some other notable feature missing on the 07s:

Tilt mirrors as mentioned
Oil level measurement through IC
Air pressure measurement through IC
Massage seats
Dynamic seats
Convinient Seats

Things I had grown to love and are now gone
Old 04-04-2007, 05:44 AM

'07 Black SLK 350
The plot thickens

Thanks Tre, will try to work out the lock issue with the dealer when I visit tomorrow. Meanwhile, I went back through the '07 SLK brochure to look for mirror parking assist. It's listed as standard on the SLK 55 AMG along with driver side auto-dimming mirror, optional on the 350 and 280. However, the option is then not spelled out in any of the available packages. You'd think it should logically be part of Premium 1, which adds auto-dimming driver mirror along with memory seats, but it's not clear. I'm wondering how it could have slipped through the cracks and why this was left intentionally vague? Hope to find out in the morning.