SLK32 AMG (R170) 2001 - 2004: Discuss the SLK32 AMG.

exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question exhaust

Had my slk 3 yrs, would like a little more noise. Anyone who has put catbacks or whatever or anyone that has heard some mods pleas let me know. Don't mind loud on accelaration but don't want annoying drone and noise at cruising speed. Thanks guys for any help.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:03 PM

SLK32
Best choice is to have your Resonator removed, check out SLK32.com. The car sounds much, much better and is only a little louder at cruising but really wakes up when you step on it. It could be a little louder still. If you are not happy with it purchase a stainless steel Dynomax Ultraflo muffler. No it does not have a German name on it, but it does not have the corresponding price either and it is one of the best flowing mufflers period.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:15 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 430
Best choice is to have your Resonator removed, check out SLK32.com. The car sounds much, much better and is only a little louder at cruising but really wakes up when you step on it. It could be a little louder still. If you are not happy with it purchase a stainless steel Dynomax Ultraflo muffler. No it does not have a German name on it, but it does not have the corresponding price either and it is one of the best flowing mufflers period.
Had resonator removed as you suggested. Perfect. Just what I was looking for. More snarl but no annoying drone at steady highway speed. Cost me 100 bucks total as compared to aftermarket system. I would recommend this to anyone wanting more flow and snarl at a very cheap price. Thanks a lot 430.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:13 AM

SLK32
Glad I could be of help. $100 bucks is a hell of a deal. Did they use stainless steel piping? How did they handle the merge?
Old 08-27-2004, 09:36 PM

Yes they did use stainless. I also got the guy that has worked there 30 years to do it. He said first pieces did not fit to suit him so he did it again. He also said it should flow a lot better. Did you do yours that way? BTW, what do you think of the pulley mod for supercharger? I guess you would need a boost gauge to Not overboost? Have you driven one with pulley mod. The car is already a rocket and I want mine to go as many miles as a performance built motor can so I would be a little afraid of it. Also can you put a bigger throttle body on it. And what about a modified chip. I get pretty good gas mileage , unless it gave more torque I wouldn't want it I don't think. As far as how he did it, he took two pipes and cut them on angle and welded together, that was what did not fot first time I guess. I thought 100$ was a great price too. Thanks again it sounds like it should now. Nelson
Old 08-28-2004, 03:26 PM

SLK32
Yes, $100 is a great price. The place that did mine used stainless steel and built a merge. They spent ~5 hours working on it. It will flow a little better, the shop that did mine checked out the resonator after they were done and commented that it was straight threw. Probably gained 2-3 hp, not enough to feel. But you also lost ~30 lbs which is good.

Next upgrade is to replace the SLK32 intake with the SL55 intake. Good for another 3-4 hp stock and ~7 hp with pulleys. In addition it will give the engine a deeper note.

If you go with pulley's make sure you replace the software also. This will give you additional HP & Torque, improved throttle response and increase the safety margins. I will probably do it next summer. I am waiting to see what comes to market with the Crossfire SRT-6 now available. Plus I need to find a good time for the car to be out of commision for 3 days to get the ECU upgraded.

I have a set of RENNtech springs that I am going to install in the next week.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:02 PM

Question SL 55 intake

Hey 430, been out of commission, surge got my computer and phone. Sounds like I could do a few more things. How much is an SL 55 intake? what about cost of ?chip or ecu or whatever.Does this affect warranty, I still have one year left. Also let me know how your car drives after you install the rentech springs. Sounds like something to look foward to. Thanks for guidance. Jonz
Old 09-14-2004, 12:58 PM

SLK32
The SL55 Y Pipe is ~$80. One note is that it is not a plug & play mod. You either need to cut the ends off of the stock Y pipe or get some silicone connectors (the better choice). The SL55 Y-Pipe is too big to fit the stock air boxes. It was worth the time & effort.

I am still trying to find a place that either won't try and rip me off to install the springs or will rent me a spring compressor.

I will probably get the ECU & Pulley next summer. I need to find a good time to be without the car for 3-4 days. Make sure you get a good quality brand. I hear people talk about how they paid a couple of hundred bucks for an ECU and how they have a ton of additional power but I have yet to see before & after dyno pulls. Both Evo & RENNtech have backed their claims up with numbers. They go about things a little differently though.

As far as the whole warranty thing is concerned it is not the simplest answer. According to the law if there is a failure MB would have to prove that it was caused by the modified parts. Of course this could get ugly depending on your dealer. On the other hand by purchasing from a quality company they will back you up.

I am trying to figure out the next performance mod I can do without much down time.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by 430
I am trying to figure out the next performance mod I can do without much down time.
STICKERS!! lol
Old 09-14-2004, 03:05 PM

MB & BMW
lol
Old 09-14-2004, 06:30 PM

SLK32
Chappy Raises a good point. Color also helps. Everyone know's that Red is the fastest.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:52 PM

2003 G35 Coupe
Originally Posted by 430
The SL55 Y Pipe is ~$80. One note is that it is not a plug & play mod. You either need to cut the ends off of the stock Y pipe or get some silicone connectors (the better choice). The SL55 Y-Pipe is too big to fit the stock air boxes. It was worth the time & effort.

I am still trying to find a place that either won't try and rip me off to install the springs or will rent me a spring compressor.

I will probably get the ECU & Pulley next summer. I need to find a good time to be without the car for 3-4 days. Make sure you get a good quality brand. I hear people talk about how they paid a couple of hundred bucks for an ECU and how they have a ton of additional power but I have yet to see before & after dyno pulls. Both Evo & RENNtech have backed their claims up with numbers. They go about things a little differently though.

As far as the whole warranty thing is concerned it is not the simplest answer. According to the law if there is a failure MB would have to prove that it was caused by the modified parts. Of course this could get ugly depending on your dealer. On the other hand by purchasing from a quality company they will back you up.

what have you done thus far...
Old 09-15-2004, 12:47 PM

SLK32
For performance I have removed the resonator & installed the SL55 y-pipe, and Porterfield brake pads. I also have a set of RENNtech springs waiting to be installed. Oh, I also have a set of braided stainless steel brake lines sitting in the garage.

Cosetically I have Chrome Rollbars, Vaeth windscreen, HID's, and Euro bumper inserts.

On order I have the adapter for the stock deck to allow me to use an MP3 player and a birds eye maple trim piece for the mirror/top control.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
.........and stickers, right? LOTS of stickers! lol
Old 09-15-2004, 07:13 PM

SLK32
Shhhh. The stickers are my secret weapon.