Considering a SLK55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 01:30 AM
KGP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Considering a SLK55

A few questions for those of you who might be able to assit:

1) I'm 6'-3" and fairly long legged. The SLK's leg room dimension is 2 inches less than my NSX. My NSX leg room is fine, but I wonder whether having 2 inches less might be an issue. While I did go by the MB dealer yesterday to check one out, they don't have a signle SLK on the lot. Sure, I will find one and check for sure before ordrering, but I'd also like any first hand experience from anyone who is also tall and has spent a good amount of time driving a SLK, as just taking a test drive might not be a good enough test.

2) Dealer says I can expect to pay slightly below sticker (the way I interpereted his statement was a few dollars below sticker). Anyone have a good handle on the selling prices?

I'm sure I'll have some more questions, but those are two on the top of my list at the moment.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-18-2005, 03:19 AM

im 6'' but im heavy ...makes getting out of the car hard without opening the door REALLY wide.

Definitly worth it if u want a small 2door convert...

I figure its one of those things u will get use too.... but the seat will be VERY upright for you to fit. _| instead of _/

Fk
Old 05-18-2005, 11:02 AM
KGP

Getting in and out I can handle. It will only be a weekend car at most. I'm concerned about my knees being in the dash. I found a SLK350, so I'll run over and check it out.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:08 PM

'01 BMW e39 540i, '06 M-B R171 SLK55
6'1" here and I found ample space inside the cabin (especially compared to the outgoing r170 SLK.) In fact, I do not even think I had the seat all the way back when I found my ideal driving position.

As for selling prices, I am paying MSRP on the 55. Sucks, I know, but a person does foolish things when they're in love...
Old 05-18-2005, 05:59 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
KGP, where are you located (i.e. fill it in, in your profile, you don't have to be exact), as paying list (or over) depends on the location/dealer.

For your question, I'm 6'2" and it's mostly in the legs.

This is my first car ever (I'm 49) that I don't put the seat all the way back, when I did, my feet didn't reach the pedals (except my toes).

So that shouldn't be a problem. Doesn't guarantee you can find a comfortable position thought. You need to sit in it.

Also, the other problem with long legs, is the arms may not be in proportion (as "defined" by the car designer!), as usually if I'm all the way back with the seat, the steering wheel is to far away (unless I sit more upright). In my SLK55 it seems (I didn't measure) that the steering wheel adjust out further than any previous car also.

Net, net, except for the low seating making it tougher for tall people to get out, this car has the most "leg room" I've found, and my arms still reach the steering wheel, comfortably.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:59 PM
KGP

Well, I went by to test one out... Rats, it's not even close . Firstkill was 100% on the money with his "the seat will be VERY upright for you to fit. _| instead of _/ " comment. I mean there was no reason to even drive the thing, nor to put the top up. There is barely enough travel, but it means the seat is far too upright for how I like to take a weekend drive. It's even a bit too upright for track driving position. Totally bummed...

Last edited by KGP; 05-19-2005 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:25 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Sorry KGP, you must really be long-legged. What is your inseam? I'm 36" and like I said I didn't put it all the way back, and still have plenty of room to recline the amount I prefer.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:52 PM
KGP

6'-3", 36" inseam.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:49 AM

2005 SLK55 AMG
KGP, then I don't get it, for it not to be even close? I fit fine with room to spare.

Did the car you try have power seats? Did you move the seats all the way down (at least the back of the bottom portion)?
Old 05-21-2005, 05:28 AM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Before you give up make sure you compare with and without power seats - may make a difference in how the seat can be adjusted.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:57 PM
DXC

Originally Posted by KGP
Well, I went by to test one out... Rats, it's not even close . Firstkill was 100% on the money with his "the seat will be VERY upright for you to fit. _| instead of _/ " comment. I mean there was no reason to even drive the thing, nor to put the top up. There is barely enough travel, but it means the seat is far too upright for how I like to take a weekend drive. It's even a bit too upright for track driving position. Totally bummed...

Seriously, then you may concern about a CLS55 instead To mean, I will lean toward a CL55 if I am 6'3"
Old 05-25-2005, 12:32 AM
KGP

No, I did not try one with power seats, because there isn't one available to try. Bolfin, I don't get it either. All I can say is it's not close. I wish it were! There is enough legroom, but it's at the expense of seat recline, and perhaps I feel more comfortable in a more reclined position than you do. At least for leisure driving.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:31 AM

2005 SLK55 AMG
KGP, if it wasn't even close for you, probably not worth pursuing, but if you ever find one with power seats, you could see if it made a difference.

Good luck on where ever you end up!
Old 05-25-2005, 08:29 PM

SLK 55
6' 2"

KGP

I've sat in a NSX and traded up for the 55 from a S2000. My s2000 set just like a NSX to me. I was two clicks foward in the s2000 and reclined almost to touching the firewall. the 55 I 'm shifted about 1 1/2 inches from full back and the seat reclined as far as it will go. I'm more confortable in the 55 because the wheel will telescope.
It's going to depend on your normal state of reclining. I know guys that are 5' 9" that say the S2000 was too tight. there are some guy's that like to recline like their in the dentist chair.
Where are you? maybe a nearby member with one can let you try it on for size.

cheers
Old 05-28-2005, 11:51 PM
KGP

Originally Posted by Krovvy
... there are some guy's that like to recline like their in the dentist chair.
Where are you? maybe a nearby member with one can let you try it on for size.
I would LOVE to try sitting in one with the power seats. Not sure how it might make enough difference, but it's worth a shot!. I have been car shopping for weeks now, and the only car that I would instantly plop some money down on is the SLK55. I have checked out M3 vert's, more NSX's, 996's, C6's (gasp), and others. The one car that I find more interesting than all the others is the SLK55.

I actually have a few offers in on a few other cars, so finding an SLK55 to check out would have to happen pretty quick.