HPS S/C for V8 5.5L

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SLK55 AMG
HPS S/C for V8 5.5L

https://mbworld.org/forums/showt...d=1#post1393987

an '06 C55 owner has recently put in a HPS Root s/c in his engine and experienced a 147 HP initial boost without any other mods (ECU etc). If this actually works well, i'm gonna throw that puppy under my hood enjoy the read

if anyone has experience with HPS, share it!
Old 12-17-2005, 02:32 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by nishi
https://mbworld.org/forums/showt...d=1#post1393987

an '06 C55 owner has recently put in a HPS Root s/c in his engine and experienced a 147 HP initial boost without any other mods (ECU etc). If this actually works well, i'm gonna throw that puppy under my hood enjoy the read

if anyone has experience with HPS, share it!
Nishi, a few points.....
#1, your link doesn't work?

#2, you can't put a blower on your 5.5L powerplant without adjusting the A/F ratio or you will blow your motor (becomes too lean & can detonate without an ECU upgrade to enrichen the mix)

#3, why would you opt for 147 Hp when you can obtain approx 200 hp from Kleemann (who is more experienced with this powerplant & has been modifyig ONLY MB vehicles for over 20 years)? HPS could have a lower price, but will likely cost you more via the headaches & possible TUNING problems you will encounter.

I advise you stick with an established aftermarket firm such as Kleemann (or perhaps Renntech) or you may ruin your entire SLK experience. Proper tuning of a car after modifications is complex & should be entrusted to firms that have a proven track record working with the MB 5.5L powerplant IMHO. Its not just the A/F ratios, its the interaction with all the existing MB engine control module parameters which must operate within a specific tolerence range. If any range parameter is violated, you've got instant problems (one of which can cause your existing ECU to reset to stock default parameters - not good).

-Matt
Old 12-17-2005, 02:51 PM

2006 SLK55 AMG
oh

i see... well im just trying to find out if there are any other possibilities... kleemann is $12,000. i know it's worth the money and i'd love to have one... i'll just have to see =) how's ur slk55 s7 doin? crazy? :P
Old 12-17-2005, 02:52 PM

2006 SLK55 AMG
Link!

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/130280-need-advice-adding-more-power-hps-sc.html

the updated Links
Old 12-17-2005, 03:30 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Nishi, thanks for the link fix.

I think HPS is worth looking into. I think always keep an open mind to the best power & technology as Ted Balwin posted in your link (although he is not correct regarding the lack of a Kleemann Warranty as they do indeed Warranty their products & installation for 1 year).

I believe perhaps the stock ECU might suffice up to low 400 rwhp. However, after that, likely not. Increased fuel pressure via a rising rate regulator & a different base programming to add fuel up top are neccessary). So, to sum it up, you should:
1) confirm if HPS is reprogramming the stock ECU for proper fuel delivery

2) realize that later modifications such as headers/exhaust would require an upgraded ECU (again, since even if HPS performs this task initially for the blower they offer, they don't offer a full line of products nor the associated ECU upgrading/reprogramming to ensure these other modifications have adequate fuel).

Pal, its your car. I just think after shelling out $70k for a new SLK you might want to reconfirm the above so your HPS choice is a wise one? It could indeed be a great choice - maybe give them a call & talk a bit so they can answer some of your questions regarding power, adequate fuel delivery/ECU programming, Warranty, etc. Good luck & see you!

-Matt
Old 12-17-2005, 04:02 PM

2006 SLK55 AMG
thanks

thanks for your help bro... im just new to the modding scene considering i've only started driving 2 years ago (driving age in Germany is 18). I understand where your coming from - when buying a $70,000 car, you might as well pay the $12,000 for the kleemann s/c =)

thanks again
-nishi
Old 12-17-2005, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
I think HPS is worth looking into. I think always keep an open mind to the best power & technology as Ted Balwin posted in your link (although he is not correct regarding the lack of a Kleemann Warranty as they do indeed Warranty their products & installation for 1 year
...........Kleemann does warranty its products for one year or 12,000 miles. This however is not the warranty that I and others have been dizcussing for years. We are talking about engine warranty. If simething happens to your engine, the fact that your Kleemann s/c or pulley is under warranty will not help you much without an engine to hook it up to.

Ted
Old 12-17-2005, 04:56 PM
ON PROBATION

I've never known anyone to have a problem with Kleeman....
Old 12-17-2005, 05:05 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
...........Kleemann does warranty its products for one year or 12,000 miles. This however is not the warranty that I and others have been dizcussing for years. We are talking about engine warranty. If simething happens to your engine, the fact that your Kleemann s/c or pulley is under warranty will not help you much without an engine to hook it up to.

Ted
Bingo. Kleemann does warranty its products (I believe you had indicated they did not - but it sounds like we had a misunderstanding - you were refering to the base ENGINE, not the Kleemann installed products). Sooooo, its not a big deal & thanks for clarifying your reference. I just want Nishi to be clear on what is/is not warranteed since he may be laying out some significant cash & likely needs to understand to what extent he is covered. See ya.

-Matt
Old 12-17-2005, 06:14 PM

2006 SLK55 AMG
HPS covers my base engine, Kleemann doesn't?! that blows...
Old 12-17-2005, 06:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
HPS covers my base engine, Kleemann doesn't?! that blows...
Nishi, you'll be better off contacting Kleemann directly and HPS directly to get your warranty questions answered.
I don't mean to say that folks on this forum are unreliabile, exact opposite! I'm just saying it's better to get the word direct from the horses mouth
Old 12-17-2005, 06:46 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Nishi, you'll be better off contacting Kleemann directly and HPS directly to get your warranty questions answered.
I don't mean to say that folks on this forum are unreliabile, exact opposite! I'm just saying it's better to get the word direct from the horses mouth
Exactly & well put Ricky.

Nishi, nobody said HPS covers the engine.

As I said before, call the manufacturers. I believe its always best do your own research first & use others' input to butress (not define) your own decisions. At least you can feel good about your purchase - you will have done everything you can (within reason) before making your personal decision. See ya.

-Matt
Old 12-17-2005, 06:59 PM

2006 SLK55 AMG
heh

i completely understand... it's just so hard for me to get hold of a s/c considering i'm still a student and don't have money for the Kleemann Kit... i hate being put in the 'parents bought you a nice car' basket, but that's the way it is. i'm just looking for a good way to get to my goal of a SLK55 AMG that does feels like a rollercoaster :P
Old 12-17-2005, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
It's pretty clear if you read the contract HPS makes you sign as a customer (LOL) that they only warranty their s/c (not the motor) and there are plenty of ways in the contract for them to get out of that as well...
Old 12-23-2005, 01:29 PM

'12 C204 C250, '05 SLK350 (sold)
i completely understand... it's just so hard for me to get hold of a s/c considering i'm still a student and don't have money for the Kleemann Kit... i hate being put in the 'parents bought you a nice car' basket, but that's the way it is. i'm just looking for a good way to get to my goal of a SLK55 AMG that does feels like a rollercoaster :P
nishi, good luck trying to put more than 400whp while on storrow. =)
Old 01-15-2006, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Guys, I am the owner of the 06 C55 at the LA Auto Show with the HPS S/C. I am not not an engineer, mechanic nor do I know much about cars. What I do know like all of you is the feeling of driving a quality car that is amazingly fast.

I can tell you this. My car before the SC and after is like night and day. It's not even remotely the same car. I've read many of your concerns about the customer service, overheating, lack of power, noise,etc regarding HPS but so far I can't relate because I don't have a single complaint or disappointment. I commute 80 miles a day and have never experienced overheating in Southern California traffic. I have not tracked the car yet but have floored it on the freeways late at night with no heating, noise or lack of power concerns. I have'nt test driven a Kleeman, Renntech, Brabus or Carlsson SC so I can't compare but I know this car has plenty of power. I know the others are established, reputable and their numbers are amazing (i.e. +200 hp) but I actually think I can get close to that number if the mods below workout.

I have gotten plenty of advice on what to be aware of with any further upgrades to my HPS S/C . (Pressure gauges, cooling mist, larger intercoolers and heat exchangers, fuel and water pumps). I'm sure Bill K at HPS already covered this but I will ask him again. The Auto Show just closed 15 minutes ago and tommorow they will begin modding my car with the following:
1) Pully Kit
2) Larger Fuel Injectors
3) Upgraded cooling (see above)
4) ECU re-tuning.
Adam and Bill are doing this free of charge for lending my car for the show.
Bill told me emphatically that there will "NO RISK WHATSOEVER" with these upgrades. Adam reminded me that this will not be offered to other customers because I am basically helping them with their R&D. Adam has not voided my warranty which DOES cover the engine and not just the SC while this upgrade is taking place. They currently have another CLK55 that was successfully upgraded a little while back that Bill claims makes my car look like it's standing still. I am expecting/hoping for a minimum of an additional 50whp being that my car dyno'ed at 414whp with only 600 miles on it. When I get the car back next week. I will post my new dyno's and report back on how the car is running. I am also planning to install the Quaife LSD's AND get an original DTM Kit from Germany. I did not go with the HPS because I lacked the budget, I just wanted to deal with a sophisticated and experienced high precision, high-tech manufacturer (Aerospace Manufacturer supplying engine components to NASA, Boeing, etc..) that was only 2 miles from my workplace which is also an aerospace manufacturer. If I have any questions all I have to do is drive down to see Adam and Bill personally during my lunch hour.

I will report back and be extremely honest. If I am not satisfied for any reason I will not be bashful to say so but thus far the HPS gang has been great!

Robert
Old 01-16-2006, 12:52 AM

06 SLK55
Originally Posted by AMGSC
Bill told me emphatically that there will "NO RISK WHATSOEVER" with these upgrades. Adam has not voided my warranty which DOES cover the engine and not just the SC while this upgrade is taking place.
Robert
I am glad your experience so far has been good a ? and a point:

1) You believe the "absolutley no risk" comment?!!!

and

2) No modifications void a warranty...but good luck getting MB to cover it if something goes wrong...

For everyone else, I would say stick with Kleeman...i dont think they are using customer cars for their R&D...
Old 01-16-2006, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Originally Posted by AMGSC
Adam has not voided my warranty which DOES cover the engine and not just the SC while this upgrade is taking place.
I think their warranty says otherwise...

http://myhps.com/clientuploads/pdf/C...-05-Rev.A1.pdf
Old 01-16-2006, 06:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by Josh K
I think their warranty says otherwise...

http://myhps.com/clientuploads/pdf/C...-05-Rev.A1.pdf

............HPS's itself as a company is using his car for R&D by installing the additional mods. I think this is a different situation. It is very hard for people in the MB community to realize that s/c's are not that complicated and have been in use for decades, hence other companies beside the annoited ones, can do a job.

Ted
Old 01-17-2006, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Bill's comments simply reflects his confidence and also prior success with another CLK55. Practically everything in life has some degree of risks but HPS has expressed to me that they are standing behind their work. As I said before neither Adam nor Bill has approached me about signing a waiver on the warranty. Jim at Mechtech who has built 900+ rwhp racing and off-road motors is also behind this effort.

So far Penske, Rusnak and Fletcher Jones MB have all agreed to honor my warranty. As a matter of fact I just had my first Service done at Penske MB 3 weeks ago and they checked the tuning on the SC with no concerns.

I just thought that it would be beneficial for forum members to evaluate ALL of the Benz Supercharging options with as much information as they can get.

If I ever find the HPS SC to be deficient then I would not hesitate to switch to another Brand since budget for me is not really the issue but so far I have no complaints. If my C55 upgrade works like the CLK55 then HPS may be introducing a GEN III in the near future or an upgrade kit to the GEN II for those of you who own one now. That's just my speculation since HPS is silent on this for now.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:01 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK55 black, heads, cam and tune
On larger engines which already have lots of torque below 2500rpm and plenty of exhuast gas to get a turbo spinning and making 8lbs or more boast by 2500rpm turbocharging is a better option that supercharging. To produce 550hp at the flywheel on a 5.5L you would need about 8lbs boast with a turbo and say 12lbs with a supercharger... the extra 4lbs being needed to drive the supercharger.

8lbs of boast is also easier on the engine or if you want to run 12lbs with a turbo your FWHP would be 650 or so.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:24 AM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by John Long 55
On larger engines which already have lots of torque below 2500rpm and plenty of exhuast gas to get a turbo spinning and making 8lbs or more boast by 2500rpm turbocharging is a better option that supercharging. To produce 550hp at the flywheel on a 5.5L you would need about 8lbs boast with a turbo and say 12lbs with a supercharger... the extra 4lbs being needed to drive the supercharger.

8lbs of boast is also easier on the engine or if you want to run 12lbs with a turbo your FWHP would be 650 or so.
Err, no. Where did you get 12 lbs for a blower on a 5.5L powerplant required for 550 flywheel Hp? That is a blanket statement which is not only incorrect, it can't be applied to all supercharging set ups.

CLK55s have an 11:1 compression ratio & do not requre 12# of boost. Case & point's Kleemann's attains that power with 7 lbs on the CLK & SLK powerplant (no headers/exhaust, cams, etc). If you try 12 lbs on a an 11:1 ratio, your engine will last about a week (this is why high boost cars have low CRs).

-Matt
Old 01-17-2006, 07:41 PM

2006 SLK55 AMG
keep me updated on the HPS thx for ur help
Old 01-17-2006, 10:08 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK55 black, heads, cam and tune
Originally Posted by Yellow R1
Err, no. Where did you get 12 lbs for a blower on a 5.5L powerplant required for 550 flywheel Hp? That is a blanket statement which is not only incorrect, it can't be applied to all supercharging set ups.
-Matt
You are correct it is a blanket statement. Ideally forced induction cars should not have a 11:1 compression ratio.

However the underlying issue is that turbos and a more effecient alternative that supercharging. Do you disagree?
Old 01-17-2006, 10:41 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by John Long 55
You are correct it is a blanket statement. Ideally forced induction cars should not have a 11:1 compression ratio.

However the underlying issue is that turbos and a more effecient alternative that supercharging. Do you disagree?
Nope, I think you are right (turbocharging can indeed make more power depending on many factors). However, turbos also have drawbacks (turbo lag, excessive heat in the engine bay vs even a blower, turbos are typically harder on engine oil due to the higher heat required to cool them, boost creep, etc).

Each has its pros & cons. I own/experience both & they each work well for the applications they were designed for IMO.

See ya,
-Matt

Last edited by Yellow R1; 01-18-2006 at 01:21 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HPS S/C for V8 5.5L