SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Update - Anyone remove the resonator on a SLK55 AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 11:13 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 SLK55 AMG
Update - Anyone remove the resonator on a SLK55 AMG?

Original Post

Went to Fabspeed Motorsports yesterday and had my stock exhaust modified. I verified that there are no perforations, baffles or restrictions in the stock AMG mufflers. They are the equivalent of a straight pipe. The resonator is also a straight pipe but has perforations with packing to dampen the sound. They removed my stock AMG mufflers and resonator assembly as one unit so I can reinstall back to stock. They installed stock AMG mufflers (from eBay purchase) with a straight pipe in place of the resonator so this is effectively a straight pipe from the secondary cats back to the exhaust tips. I had the stock mufflers polished so they look great.

Exhaust sound is very subjective, so to some this may be too loud and to others not loud enough. For me, the sound is fantastic, much louder than stock but not too loud. The car finally has an aggressive sound to match the aggressive performance. It really sounds like a V8 now. The sound at idle is close to stock in volume but the frequency sounds much lower. Surprisingly there is no resonance inside of the cabin. The sound at WOT is pure music. I will post sound files if I can get the recording equipment out this weekend.

Jay at Fabspeed had the fabricator sketch the stock system so he can possibly duplicate this. Not sure if they are ready to do this but if they receive enough interest I would guess they might. You may want to contact Jay if interested.

Regards, Ed
Old 06-01-2006, 12:23 AM
Almost a Member!

Thx for the good info! Quick question, did you do a before/after dyno? If yes, then results?
Old 06-01-2006, 02:17 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Congrats! Looking forward to pics and sound clips!
Old 06-01-2006, 12:09 PM

'06 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by 98indypacer
Original Post
...The resonator is also a straight pipe but has perforations with packing to dampen the sound. They removed my stock AMG mufflers and resonator assembly as one unit so I can reinstall back to stock...
Do you think there is any way to remove the dampeners from the stock AMG resonator?

Thanks,

-Florp
Old 06-01-2006, 06:59 PM
Almost a Member!

'06 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Maverick!
Thx for the good info! Quick question, did you do a before/after dyno? If yes, then results?
Did not do any dyno's. There is no real difference in backpressure since the resonator is just a straight pipe with perforations being replace with just a straight pipe. I will try to get pics of the inside of the resonator.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:17 PM
Almost a Member!

'06 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Florp
Do you think there is any way to remove the dampeners from the stock AMG resonator?

Thanks,

-Florp
There are no dampeners to remove, just a straight pipe with perforation on the wall of the pipe. I will try to take some pictures this weekend and post here.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:17 AM

Where is the sound clips and the photos?

AMG POWER
Old 06-06-2006, 11:26 PM
Almost a Member!

'06 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by AMG_

Where is the sound clips and the photos?

AMG POWER
Well I tried to record the exhaust sound while stationary and also while driving. I had difficulty with the wind noise in the microphone while driving. I was able to get an OK recording of the stock SLK55 AMG exhaust while parked in the driveway but you really don’t get the same effect as driving the car with the engine under load.

I ordered new microphones today from SoundProfessionals. I should be able to get a better recording while driving as soon as they arrive. I’ll post as soon as possible. I will post the pictures at the same time as the recording!!

Here is the Stock SLK55 AMG stationary in the driveway:

SLK55AMG-Stock Exhaust

Regards, Ed