Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL203
URGENT ADVICE... ABOUT TO PURCHASE

I am about to purchase this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

i've been internet shopping around for a long time and this seems to be a good deal.

any caveats that i should look out for?

the decision will be made within the hour.

thanks!
Old 06-02-2009, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 S430, 2004 Cobra, 2004 Tahoe
Original MSRP was $77,485, so I would say you're getting a pretty good deal considering the low miles and all. I looked at the VMI and it doesn't show anything too alarming.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:48 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Looks like in addition to the front bumper being scratched on the bottom that it's cracked???? If so you'll need a new front bumper.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
too funny

my coworker had called and already locked in the deal with that dealer. But then you bid (on Ebay) the next day on ebay which screwed up his deal somehow. My coworker even asked them to take a deposit but he said ... no need they would remove from ebay ... hah hah.

That dealer is messed up. They are waiting to see if you will be paying in FULL within 48 hours. If not they will sell it to my coworker. I sort of get the feeling they are just trying to get the higher price that you offered.

As to the car itself ... rear bumper needs to be repainted ... the one inch paintchip will only get worse. The front bumper is cracked badly so will need to be replaced. If you look closely at the picture of the crack you will see that it extends almost all the way to the top. It currently has 3 rivets on the underside and that won't stop the cracking. Other than that the car looks to be in decent shape. My only concerns (that I voiced to my co-worker) was that it already had 2 owners . front replacement and rear repaint, and then finally I was curious as to why the car was sold to an independent vs a mb dealer.

BTW first owner was supposedly MB corporate which drove the car for only 500 miles then resold to the 2nd owner. As such the normal warranty doesn't expire until May of 2010. My guess is that this was a special order car which was then refused and became a corporate car.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:20 AM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
Sorry to see some ruffled feathers between two prospective buyers. Seller should have honored original commitment. I would have demanded the seller take a deposit. I purchased my 2005 SLK 55 under the same senario. Seller agreed to remove auction ad when I made a credit card deposit, plus he reduced the price in the amount of the auction fee. Poor eBay, but that stuff goes on everyday. Very unique color and all the right options which is a big plus. Designo option is way too expensive for the original purchaser, but another plus as a used vehicle. Unfortunate front bumper cover damage, but that's probably a one time incident and front bumper cover scrapes are very common on most SLKs. Price appears about $5000 high for a similiar year and equipped non designo SLK 55. Seller is adding a bunch for the designo option which is paint color, wood trim and shift knob emblem. Overall great SLK 55, unfortunate front damage which will probably require replacement versus repair which could be expensive. Seller seeking a premium for this car and will probably get it. Good luck to those involved.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

heh

no ruffled feathers on this side ... just at the lousy indy dealer.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
Originally Posted by SLK55R
my coworker had called and already locked in the deal with that dealer. But then you bid (on Ebay) the next day on ebay which screwed up his deal somehow. My coworker even asked them to take a deposit but he said ... no need they would remove from ebay ... hah hah.

That dealer is messed up. They are waiting to see if you will be paying in FULL within 48 hours. If not they will sell it to my coworker. I sort of get the feeling they are just trying to get the higher price that you offered.

As to the car itself ... rear bumper needs to be repainted ... the one inch paintchip will only get worse. The front bumper is cracked badly so will need to be replaced. If you look closely at the picture of the crack you will see that it extends almost all the way to the top. It currently has 3 rivets on the underside and that won't stop the cracking. Other than that the car looks to be in decent shape. My only concerns (that I voiced to my co-worker) was that it already had 2 owners . front replacement and rear repaint, and then finally I was curious as to why the car was sold to an independent vs a mb dealer.

BTW first owner was supposedly MB corporate which drove the car for only 500 miles then resold to the 2nd owner. As such the normal warranty doesn't expire until May of 2010. My guess is that this was a special order car which was then refused and became a corporate car.
thanks for the advice about the crack and paint. i'll see what it looks like in person and have my body shop look at it.

as for your co-worker, i called while he was in the middle of the deal and supposedly he put a $20k deposit on it and had trouble financing the rest. i had to jump on it because its a great find.

money has been wired over earlier this after noon and it should be in transit later today.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

congratz

welcome to the fold.

Btw just as a footnote ... they were supposed to get him in touch with a financial person to do the loan. They played hot potato and the state farm person said he needed to be transfered to a local branch. Deal wasn't in the middle it was done. He could of paid all cash. Just dealer got greedy. My buddy will just have to look for something else.

Regardless, have fun with that car!

update ... my buddy checked with state farm and they never even pulled his records. He then pulled his credit report and it showed nothing as well. This dealer didn't even start the finance process. He is going to go on ebay and give a horrible rating for the dealer.

Last edited by SLK55R; 06-03-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:06 PM

SLK55 AMG Designo Pewter
Designo SLK for sale

Hi. I noticed this thread and wanted to see if you did purchase this car. If not I have an identical car for sale minus the front end damage. Email me for details.
JM
Old 06-08-2009, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
Originally Posted by SLK55R
welcome to the fold.

Btw just as a footnote ... they were supposed to get him in touch with a financial person to do the loan. They played hot potato and the state farm person said he needed to be transfered to a local branch. Deal wasn't in the middle it was done. He could of paid all cash. Just dealer got greedy. My buddy will just have to look for something else.

Regardless, have fun with that car!

update ... my buddy checked with state farm and they never even pulled his records. He then pulled his credit report and it showed nothing as well. This dealer didn't even start the finance process. He is going to go on ebay and give a horrible rating for the dealer.
Originally Posted by JeffM1962
Hi. I noticed this thread and wanted to see if you did purchase this car. If not I have an identical car for sale minus the front end damage. Email me for details.
JM
the car was purchased and is beautiful. still needs servicing and bumper fixed, but it is minor. looks like you two should exchange info if your buddy is still interested in a slk55amg designo.