SLR McLaren (C199) Discussion on the SLR Coupe, Roadster and Sterling Moss Edition.

SLR/C199/R199/Z199: SLR Driving Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 BMW X3M Comp
SLR Driving Experience

Got this e-mail and am curious...

It sounds like their AMG Challenge. Anyone going or have gone?
Old 09-18-2006, 09:20 PM

2002 CLK55 AMG, 2005 C240 4maitc
Adimission is 3k.... id rather buy a mod. (not to mention travel lodging and food)
Old 09-19-2006, 09:25 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by rubberninja
Adimission is 3k.... id rather buy a mod. (not to mention travel lodging and food)
YEP! Thats what i said 2. I got that email also - and for my dad and I to go there would be $5000 plus $500 for airfare plus $500 for hotel, plus $100 for food.

I DO NOT nickel and dime things, but $6000+ for a one day event is throwing cash out the window. Everyone else agree?
Old 09-19-2006, 01:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
SLR Invitation

I did the AMG Challenge in May.
It was way worth the $ 1100.00 price.
So I received the E-mail yesterday too.
AMG is consciously keeping the price right at the level
of. "If you got it then go". I can do it. But the McLaren
is not that special for me. They had 4 or 5 SLR`s at the Challenge.
Watched it go about 175 on the oval. Interesting exhaust sound.
More like a buzz. Only car I saw with problems that day too.
One of them refused to come out of second gear ???
Guess I am happy with my SL55.
Having the same car as Paris Hilton does not get me off.

But when they do they AMG Challenge next year.
Going to "drop the cash" for me and my son.
He will just be 21 and old enough to attend.
Great father son type activity.
Drive AMG`s as fast as you can go for the day. Yee Ha.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
Originally Posted by rubberninja
Originally Posted by Chucky300
YEP! Thats what i said 2. I got that email also - and for my dad and I to go there would be $5000 plus $500 for airfare plus $500 for hotel, plus $100 for food.

I DO NOT nickel and dime things, but $6000+ for a one day event is throwing cash out the window. Everyone else agree?
Not that I have money coming out of my *** but if you need to balance where to spend the money (a mod on your current car vs. the experience)then you're not their target audience. The way I see it, this would be the only chance to drive an SLR in such a manner. Even if a firend had one, he'd probably never let me drive it the way these would be driven.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:05 PM

99 C43 AMG & 2008 Corvette 1LT Z51 LS3
I entered this event last year at Homestead. Great Event! It is pretty much ran just like the AMG Challenge, the only difference is using SLR's.

Sure to spend that kind of money for a 1 day event is cray, but for the real enthusiast or someone that can never afford a car like that, I think its money well spent. Its difficult enough to get a hold of one of these cars to drive on the street. Where else can you get a hold of a half million $$ supercar and experience it on a race track?

I'm one that will never be able to afford one, but had to jump on the opportunity to see what these cars are capable of on a race track. I certainly couldn't afford the entrants fee, but bit the bullet really hard to spend the cash for that 1 day event! I had to sacrifice a lot of things to get there, but it was well worth it in the end!

Unfortunatley, I'm not in a position this year to afford going again, but would certainly jump on the opportunity if I did.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:31 AM

2002 CLK55 AMG, 2005 C240 4maitc
Originally Posted by NY C32
Not that I have money coming out of my *** but if you need to balance where to spend the money (a mod on your current car vs. the experience)then you're not their target audience. The way I see it, this would be the only chance to drive an SLR in such a manner. Even if a firend had one, he'd probably never let me drive it the way these would be driven.
its not about the demographic, more personal preferance. Its just that id rather use the 6k for other things that id get more pleasure out of (aka mods ) The way I see it if you really wanted to romp around in an SLR then use the 6k to rent one youself for the weekend and drive it however you like.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:22 PM

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Rolls Royce Wraith, 1999 CLK Cabriolet, 2023 Genesis G90
I did the AMG Challenge last May at the Homestead Speedway, and I'm signed up for the Graduate course in a few weeks. When I received the e-mail about the SLR, I too thought about the price, having already forked over the money for the Graduate, but then I thought much like Mercedes Tuner, whose post is above. I will likely never own an SLR. After all, I'm a pediatrician, not a plastic surgeon, so for two grand, I'll spend another day on the track and enjoy the "forbidden fruit." If I can't afford this type of event in the future, at least I will have done what a lot of others wish they could do. We'll see if it's money well spent.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"One Man. One Engine."
There are two SLR Mclarens at the local dealership, Silver and Black
Old 10-02-2006, 10:04 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Hey guys,

I signed up for the AMG challenge at the Miami Speedway. This is my first time doing this type of event, and I don't personally know anyone who's ever done it, so I was wondering if any of you can sorta give me an idea of what it's going to be like so that I know what to expect. It sounds to me so far that you guys think it's well worth it, so I'm excited.

About the cost, I did happen to drop about $6,000 for this special event since I'm flying in from California, race day is on Thursday, and I thought I'd stay the weekend and party it up! Not to mention lodging is ridiculously expensive in Miami so I sure hope it's worth it!
Old 10-03-2006, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Have Fun For Me!
Old 10-04-2006, 05:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
Thumbs up AMG Challenge

Originally Posted by zoomCLS55
Hey guys,

I signed up for the AMG challenge at the Miami Speedway. This is my first time doing this type of event, and I don't personally know anyone who's ever done it, so I was wondering if any of you can sorta give me an idea of what it's going to be like so that I know what to expect. It sounds to me so far that you guys think it's well worth it, so I'm excited.

About the cost, I did happen to drop about $6,000 for this special event since I'm flying in from California, race day is on Thursday, and I thought I'd stay the weekend and party it up! Not to mention lodging is ridiculously expensive in Miami so I sure hope it's worth it!
Some advice on your upcoming AMG challenge.

DONT DRINK too much the night before. You are going to need all your senses
and its a full day. Dress light. The Go Kart part will get you in a full jumpsuit
and you will sweat you *** off. The road course is my favorite part.
You will be hitting the brakes like never before.
Enjoy the day hauling *** in all your favorite AMG`s.
The AMG people are a real pleasure. Report back on your experience.
Tell us about the latest SWAG they hand out too.
Hope you win the watch if you can drive very fast !
Old 01-10-2008, 12:25 PM

sl55 AMG
Ive got a free test drive in one in 8 days and so does my dad.

I guess the fact we both have sl55 AMG's kind of helped..