Sponsored by:

Bad Gas? Help Please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
210 E 55, 220 S 600
Bad Gas? Help Please

Ok, I need some advise ASAP since this is my first experience with E55. I have 2001 E55 with just over 50K miles on it. This afternoon, I took the family (my wife and my new born son) out to the mall, on the way back, I needed some gas, so I happened to stop at the local Chevron station. Upon filling the car up (it was nearly empty)...here in Oregon all gas stations are full service. So, the pump comes to stop, the attender comes to top of it and the pump won't stop...it keeps filling up the car, eventually, spilling all over the side of my car...there must have been at least 2 gallons on the ground before they shut off the pump. At this point, I just wanted to get the car rinsed off with some water, which I did at the gas station. I then headed home, got on the freeway, no more than about 3 minutes into the drive, the car starts to "buck"....it idles really rough, so I pull over thinking the idiot probably did not close my gas cap correctly...I make the adjustment and got back on the road, about 3 minutes into the drive, it does it again...I pull over and kill the car and restart, which it did just fine...but kept doing it again....all the way home. It will start just fine, but after few seconds, it idles rough and then eventually just "dies." What could it be? MAF? Bad gas?.....I mean the timing couldn't be better, right after I got it filled up (to the top, I don't think my car has ever had that much fuel in the tank before)...could it be that it was overfilled and something got triggered? I know that ounds ridiculous, but the car was just running "perfect" before the fuel up incident....any help would be much appreciated it.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Maybe the overfilling got some gas in the charcoal canister, if the car has one. I do know that other cars had them a few years ago and overfilling would cause that to happen. I suppose the repair would be to remove it and pour the gas out. I also think if that is the problem, it should "fix" itself in time.

One other thought would be that there could be some water in the fuel. I would pour some water removal additive into the tank.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:05 AM

210 E 55, 220 S 600
Thanks!

I think you might be right on this...I had some gas siphoned from the tank, about a gallon, the car seemed bit better. It still idles smooth for about 3 minutes, then it idles really rough then shuts off...but it is better. The strange thing is that it does not throw any "malfunction" on my display, no "check engine" message. So, where exactly is the "charcoal canister?" Oh, thanks again for your valuable feedback....this is what these types of forums were designed for...thanks again for being a great member!

Originally Posted by can drive 55
Maybe the overfilling got some gas in the charcoal canister, if the car has one. I do know that other cars had them a few years ago and overfilling would cause that to happen. I suppose the repair would be to remove it and pour the gas out. I also think if that is the problem, it should "fix" itself in time.

One other thought would be that there could be some water in the fuel. I would pour some water removal additive into the tank.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:07 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 SL55
Siphoning gas from the tank was the good idea. I'ts likely though that some fuel remains in the evaporative emissions control system which should purge itself as you continue to drive the car.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:44 AM

210 E 55, 220 S 600
I hope u r right

I hope you are right...I have been seraching this forum and all the darn stories about the MAF had me convinced that I needed to replace it....but I know that it is not it. so, I guess I will just try driving it around for few days and see if it clears up. If it does, I owe you guys big time....would have saved me from spending unncessary $$. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:50 PM

1999 E55
Had the exact same thing happen to me. We were on our way home from Chicago (4.5 hr trip) and filled up the tank and the ground. We got back on the highway and car did as you described except it was intermittent, but we kept driving at about 60mph and it stopped after 10min or so, cruise back at 75 and smooth sailing the rest of the way... I guess it's fine now, that was last September. I only put about 2k miles on it since then, but I did go 130mph yesterday.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:46 PM

If you think you had problem think again.I just picked up my car after a K2 installed,and ran my buddy 04 Cobra,and killed him twice.The next day i went to my neighbourhood service station to full up on 100 octane.Well i had problem with the pump,and the cashier say thats what happens when its real cold.It was too cold to stand there and fill up,so after 1/2 filled,i decided to quit.As soon as i drove off,the car started to backfire,and shut down completely.I went back to the gas station,and told them what had happenrd.Immidately their response was its not their gas.So i asked them to turn off the gas because the gas was contaminated.....they complied by putting a bag over the pump.My car would not stay on idle,and when it did,it backfired,and shut off.Had it towed to the dealer,who informed me that i had 90%water in my tank......yes you read right 90% water.I thought the technician had made a mistake and ment 90% gas,and 10% water.So i went over to the dealer who showed me the fuel sample in a bottle.I could not believe it,so i ask to take some more sample from the tank.Again the same result 90% WATER.You know i am mad now.Went back to the gas station,call coperate,only to listen to a guy telling me that they will have to investigate,and get back to me.Time to bring in the artillary...yes i called my attorney,the police department(dont know why i called them)the EPA (that got their attention),radio station,did i mention TV station,them too.Then i made a call back to corporate to the guy who told me he was going to investigate,and told him all who i had called,and told him that he was wasting time trying to talk to me ,because his superior will want to know why he did not handle the situation,and let it get this far.Well i have to give the guy credit,it had not been 15 minutes,and someone was at the dealer,picking up the sample,and someone was at the service station getting gas sample,and me receiving a call asking me to call off the dogs,and them admitting that there was a 92% water in the gas.They all said they will fix my car,and compensate me for any losses.Only problem is will my car ever be the same?
THAT MY FRIENDS WAS BAD GAS!!!!!!!
Old 02-21-2006, 11:44 PM
Almost a Member!

Get some Bean-O. Sorry the thread title called for a smart *** remark.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:04 PM

Forgive me if i fail to laugh..............you have a lot of growing up to do.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:32 PM

210 E 55, 220 S 600
Wow, I guess my experience wasn't too bad in comparison. I hope all is well with your ride.

Oh, and as for 05PewterE55's comment....I guess I had it coming, with the title, but with the title like this, some one had to look and respond. I am glad that it made you laugh 05PewterE55.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
that's crazy..... so much for 100 octane, you were filling up with 10 octane.... was it some smaller no-name station?

Originally Posted by jamusa
If you think you had problem think again.I just picked up my car after a K2 installed,and ran my buddy 04 Cobra,and killed him twice.The next day i went to my neighbourhood service station to full up on 100 octane.Well i had problem with the pump,and the cashier say thats what happens when its real cold.It was too cold to stand there and fill up,so after 1/2 filled,i decided to quit.As soon as i drove off,the car started to backfire,and shut down completely.I went back to the gas station,and told them what had happenrd.Immidately their response was its not their gas.So i asked them to turn off the gas because the gas was contaminated.....they complied by putting a bag over the pump.My car would not stay on idle,and when it did,it backfired,and shut off.Had it towed to the dealer,who informed me that i had 90%water in my tank......yes you read right 90% water.I thought the technician had made a mistake and ment 90% gas,and 10% water.So i went over to the dealer who showed me the fuel sample in a bottle.I could not believe it,so i ask to take some more sample from the tank.Again the same result 90% WATER.You know i am mad now.Went back to the gas station,call coperate,only to listen to a guy telling me that they will have to investigate,and get back to me.Time to bring in the artillary...yes i called my attorney,the police department(dont know why i called them)the EPA (that got their attention),radio station,did i mention TV station,them too.Then i made a call back to corporate to the guy who told me he was going to investigate,and told him all who i had called,and told him that he was wasting time trying to talk to me ,because his superior will want to know why he did not handle the situation,and let it get this far.Well i have to give the guy credit,it had not been 15 minutes,and someone was at the dealer,picking up the sample,and someone was at the service station getting gas sample,and me receiving a call asking me to call off the dogs,and them admitting that there was a 92% water in the gas.They all said they will fix my car,and compensate me for any losses.Only problem is will my car ever be the same?
THAT MY FRIENDS WAS BAD GAS!!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2006, 04:59 PM

Well it turned out not to be water afterall.....it was diesel fuel.They dumped it in the wrong tank.After all the who is who came down,they took samples,found it to be diesel fuel,and shut the station down until they can check every out everything.In the meantime the station is very cooperative,and said they will pay for everything,which is great.To answer your question,it was a large petro express that i have been doing business with for years.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by jamusa
Forgive me if i fail to laugh..............you have a lot of growing up to do.

Wow I am sorry if you fail to have a sense of humor.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:49 PM

Did you expect a laught out of me,when my car was about to blow to pieces?Any how i caught it on time,and the car still run true and strong.