W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advantage of E55 AMG over Brabus, Lorinser, or Carlsson?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advantage of E55 AMG over Brabus, Lorinser, or Carlsson?

With these high-performance tuning companies, what are the real advantages of going with AMG over a custom tuned E500? (Granted, the tuners can't quite get it up to 478hp like AMG did, but they are close...)
Old 09-23-2002, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Hey Newbie ever heard of Kleemann?

Do some searching and research on Kleemann superchargers and you will forget about those other tuners. E500 with 500HP & E55 with 560HP:

www.kleemannusa.com
Old 09-23-2002, 10:33 PM

too bad their website sucks

Virtually no specific information on their website...
Old 09-23-2002, 10:51 PM

Since AMG is owned by MB you get a full MB warranty.
What do the others offer for coverage?
Old 09-23-2002, 11:17 PM

This is a good point - I wondered about complete Brabus cars, in particular, because I think I had heard somewhere along the line that they are warranteed, but could be mistaken. The Kleeman units are not, as you basically just buy a supercharger, which would devoid your entire M-B warranty, correct?

Originally posted by amg55
Since AMG is owned by MB you get a full MB warranty.
What do the others offer for coverage?
Old 09-23-2002, 11:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
I've heard about the Kleeman s/c would not void your factory warranty, you might also consider Renntech, their upgrades are made by Benz dealers for what I've heard and factory warranty is remained.
Old 09-24-2002, 12:42 AM

Renntech mods cost $50k just for the mod - add that to the cost of the E-series and you have one expensive car! Far outpricing the AMG even if they gouge the pricing due to 'demand'...

Originally posted by pocholin
I've heard about the Kleeman s/c would not void your factory warranty, you might also consider Renntech, their upgrades are made by Benz dealers for what I've heard and factory warranty is remained.
Old 09-24-2002, 02:17 AM

Adding - Renntech E500 mods have a package that runs 18k, but only increases hp to 420. With a new E500, sport package, some options, and the Renntech, you are already around 85k - more than the RS6 with 450 hp. To get the 530hp, you pay nearly 43k for the kit (plus installation).

I did find out that warranties DO apply to Renntech-equipped MB's, and they either run 24 months or the remainder of your factory warranty, whichever is LONGER. That's good news for those thinking of tuning, but still, the cost is prohibitive if you ask me - the AMG E55 is similar to the 530hp kit from Renntech, only it has more exterior work, wheels, brakes, etc., and will cost likely about 20 - 25k less...

Originally posted by schvetkaaks
Renntech mods cost $50k just for the mod - add that to the cost of the E-series and you have one expensive car! Far outpricing the AMG even if they gouge the pricing due to 'demand'...
Old 09-24-2002, 03:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It Varies
Renntech is a freakin rip-off. Those prices are just plain ridiculous. If anyone is gonna take my money......its gonna be Kleeman.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:56 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by AndrewEclipse
Renntech is a freakin rip-off. Those prices are just plain ridiculous.
I believe Renntechs clientel are mostly celebreties so as far as money is concerned they don't really care.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:23 AM

just spoke to someone at Kleeman in Co Springs, and he said the factory warranty is not voided by adding aftermarket parts - the problem is that all the dealers and dealer service techs say that the warranty IS voided when you add aftermarket parts - that's the whole reason I think not everybody goes for the upgrades and tuning. Of course Kleemann would say it doesn't void the warranty, but when it comes down to it, if you had the upgrades and brought it into the dealer for service, the risk is that they might refuse you - then you are stuck! Renntech has a separate warranty but they also are under the assumption that you can still get your warranty service, as it continues through the length of your factory warranty. Maybe it's a M-B thing, but other car companies void warranties when tuning is done.

Originally posted by pocholin
Old 09-24-2002, 10:46 AM

Porsche 997 C2S
I personally like the fact that I can just take an AMG into the factory, and it's no big surprise for them. And Renntech is not only severely overpriced, have you noticed that whenever they run in the One Lap of America, they always have reliability issues? Granted, these are the super-duper-tuned Renntechs, but still, I'd prefer to have some more reliability.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
just spoke to someone at Kleeman in Co Springs, and he said the factory warranty is not voided by adding aftermarket parts - the problem is that all the dealers and dealer service techs say that the warranty IS voided when you add aftermarket parts - that's the whole reason I think not everybody goes for the upgrades and tuning. Of course Kleemann would say it doesn't void the warranty, but when it comes down to it, if you had the upgrades and brought it into the dealer for service, the risk is that they might refuse you - then you are stuck! Renntech has a separate warranty but they also are under the assumption that you can still get your warranty service, as it continues through the length of your factory warranty. Maybe it's a M-B thing, but other car companies void warranties when tuning is done.
Let's say you put a Kleeman supercharger, and you later have problems with the suspension, the factory warranty is still good, or your a/c compressor goes bad, you factory warranty should still be good.
But let's say that the transmission brakes, they might be able to blame it on the s/c, but they might say it is OK, so you are gambling with your warranty on some items. But that always happens with mods or with out them, the dealer tries to get out of warranty repairs most of the time.
Old 09-24-2002, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
Brabus is different, they are partnered with fletcher jones, so if you have any mods done by brabus NA and have you car serviced at fletcher jones, there is no problem. But who wants to spend 32K for 426hp? Plus brakes, wheels, tires(biggest rip off) and a body kit?

Pocholin is right, it depends on what kind of work your MB requires, if the rear ashtray sticks, they cannot blame your SC. And when was the last time your new or starmarked pre-owned MB had transmission problems?
Old 09-24-2002, 12:35 PM

I am told by Kleemann that there is a specific law that states auto dealers cannot refuse to perform warranty service if a car has aftermarket parts or upgrades - it's called the Magnuson-Moss act. Apparently, they will try to get out of anything they can, but they already do a lot of that anyway. If the transmission goes, they will likely try to blame it on the supercharger or whatever upgrades you have, but apparently you can work to prove otherwise.
Old 09-24-2002, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
Yes Kleemann is correct, they do have a law to protect people like us who want to modify our cars. I just remembered that a friend of mine bought a set of wheels and lowering springs from a tuning shop and asked his dealer to do an alignment, they did it for free under warranty. I guess it all depends on your dealer. Make friends with your service advisor, i did and i always got great treatment.
Old 09-24-2002, 02:09 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

[i]I did find out that warranties DO apply to Renntech-equipped MB's, and they either run 24 months or the remainder of your factory warranty, whichever is LONGER. [/B]
What RENNTECH does not tell you is that their warranty is capped at $10K. That means that Renntech will only cover repairs up to $10,000.... the rest is up to the customer. A complete E55 engine is in excess of $30,000.00, so that leaves the consumer responsible for over $20K of the repair bill. Granted, you would not need to purchase a complete engine in most cases, my point is to do your research before assuming a warranty is going to take care of all your problems.
Old 09-24-2002, 02:12 PM

More information on how aftermarket parts do NOT void factory warranties:

http://www.sema.org/content/?ID=2223...=warranty+void
Old 09-24-2002, 02:14 PM

Mr. Kleemann USA is here with us! Makes things a bit easier...

Originally posted by CoryU
What RENNTECH does not tell you is that their warranty is capped at $10K. That means that Renntech will only cover repairs up to $10,000.... the rest is up to the customer. A complete E55 engine is in excess of $30,000.00, so that leaves the consumer responsible for over $20K of the repair bill. Granted, you would not need to purchase a complete engine in most cases, my point is to do your research before assuming a warranty is going to take care of all your problems.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:09 PM

From the link posted by Schvetkaaks:

"The warranty coverage can be denied only if the aftermarket part caused the malfunction or damage for which warranty coverage is sought. Disputes in this area usually boil down to arguments over facts and technical opinions, rather than arguments over interpretations of the law".

Which means that engine mods could theoretically be blamed for everything from transmission issues, to alignment, to chassis structural issues...and it would end up being a war of opinions between the service guys at the dealership and you or your designated representative.
Old 09-25-2002, 02:10 PM

ML 500 Sport
My opinion is that if you are going to indulge in serious engine tuning and modifications you should be prepared for the fact that you will be challanged on your warranty should any major malfunctions occur. You could very easily end up spending alot of time and money settling such issues...possibly in court.

If you mount an aftermarket SC and end up breaking a rod, burning a bearing or breaking an axle...don't expect MB to blindly patch it up.
Old 09-27-2002, 08:50 AM

2012 CLS63
You not only create warranty problems, but the reasle value of the car becomes practically worthless if you use non MB systems.
Old 09-27-2002, 03:43 PM

04 BMW m3
Re: Advantage of E55 AMG over Brabus, Lorinser, or Carlsson?

With these high-performance tuning companies, what are the real advantages of going with AMG over a custom tuned E500? (Granted, the tuners can't quite get it up to 478hp like AMG did, but they are close...)
i think there is a big difference between calling amg "aftermarket tuners" and kleeman aftermarket. with kleeman you take what u have and they'll tune it for u. i doubt you can bring your regular e500 and say tune it. seriously, amg is part of benz, thats why warranty is intact. if i had the money to get an sl55 the first thing i would do is get it tuned by kleeman. they do extensive r and d, plus who can turn down becoming a legit member of the 600hp club. damn that car is sweet as it is though so if u got one, i tip my hat to u.