Sponsored by:

Do I Still Have Warranty??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 02:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 E55 AMG
Do I Still Have Warranty??

Well since I'm hit with a BILLION problems on my car. I decided to look at the carfax and read through it.

The car is a 2002. It was certified pre-owned on 5-31-2005 and had 29k miles on it, today it has 57k. According to the MBUSA website... the 12-month/100k mile Certified Pre-Owned warranty is added onto the warranty when the 4 year/50k mile warranty finishes. So I'm wondering am I still under warranty????
Old 10-04-2007, 07:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
You didn't even check carfax before buying a car???

Did you buy from a private party, MB dealer or non-MB dealer?

If from non-MB dealer, it's 99.99% sure that the extended warranty that came w/ the CPO is no longer valid. But check w/ MBUSA to see.... hopefully, you still have warranty. Be sure not to tell where you bought it (if you bought from non-MB dealer).

Good luck!
Old 10-04-2007, 09:42 AM
X55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E55
Since the CPO warranty was not transferred to you from the previous owner you have no warranty, it does not stick with the car it stays with the owner.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
moon buggy
Originally Posted by X55
Since the CPO warranty was not transferred to you from the previous owner you have no warranty, it does not stick with the car it stays with the owner.
That's what I was also thinking. But it wouldn't hurt to ask MBUSA though.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by ob1kenobi
That's what I was also thinking. But it wouldn't hurt to ask MBUSA though.
I asked an MB dealer when I found a previously certified car and they said once the vehicle is traded in, the CPO warranty ends.

Sorry about all the bad news on your car, but if you want a reputable shop, I had my car done in Yorba Linda, CA at Exclusive Motors. I told him about the dealer inspecting my car and finding a bunch of stuff to replace. He offered to look it over for confirmation and didn't charge me for it. I went ahead and let him do the work.

His name is Ron. He used to be a tech for Mercedes in Anaheim Hills before he opened his own shop.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:02 PM

1999 e55 (past), 2002 CLK55 (past), 2004 E55 (present), 2008 Z06
stop complaining about your car. Did you have the vehicle inspected prior the purchase? If not then you really have no one to blame but yourself. Call MBUSA for warranty information and procure an independent means of inspection. MBZ motors in tarzana is an excellent independent service facility.

Last edited by jordanst2; 10-04-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Originally Posted by jordanst2
stop complaining about your car. Did you have the vehicle inspected prior the purchase? If not then you really have no one to blame but yourself. Call MBUSA for warranty information and procure an independent means of inspection. MBZ motors in tarzana is an excellent independent service facility.
If you speaking of MBZ Motors on Winnetka in the valley, it's actually in the city of Winnetka. Call over there and speak to George, he's the owner and tell him that Jimmy the Greek from "next door" sent you. I agree that they do good work.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:53 PM

1999 e55 (past), 2002 CLK55 (past), 2004 E55 (present), 2008 Z06
jimmy -> my bad, not from the valley but i have taken previous mercedes there and I agree, they are excellent and vary fairly priced
Old 10-04-2007, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Originally Posted by jordanst2
jimmy -> my bad, not from the valley but i have taken previous mercedes there and I agree, they are excellent and vary fairly priced
No worries, just making sure if someone tries to look them up they're not lost...
Old 10-05-2007, 02:36 AM

2002 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by knechtea
I asked an MB dealer when I found a previously certified car and they said once the vehicle is traded in, the CPO warranty ends.

Sorry about all the bad news on your car, but if you want a reputable shop, I had my car done in Yorba Linda, CA at Exclusive Motors. I told him about the dealer inspecting my car and finding a bunch of stuff to replace. He offered to look it over for confirmation and didn't charge me for it. I went ahead and let him do the work.

His name is Ron. He used to be a tech for Mercedes in Anaheim Hills before he opened his own shop.
Well Good News! I found the site, looks like a nice place... better than all the places over in East LA.

Exclusive Motors

Seems like they are offering 100 dollars off also! Sounds good!
Old 10-06-2007, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
CPO is getting tricky, and it's worse now that MB's changing their Starmark from the original 7rs/100k from original in-svc date. i'd start by finding out your original svc date - MB recently changed Starmark to be 5 yrs/100k, and the extra two yrs time coverage are add'l charge, though it's still the change total 100k mileage.

as for CPO ending when the car is traded in, i've never heard that before. i'd get a 2nd or 3rd opinion. the only restrictions i've seen on certified warranty is the lexus 7yrs/100k one that's not not transferable w/ changing owners vs. bmw/mb which stays w/ the car.

good luck.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:32 PM

No longer car shopping...
Originally Posted by Nocturnal-G
Well since I'm hit with a BILLION problems on my car. I decided to look at the carfax and read through it.

The car is a 2002. It was certified pre-owned on 5-31-2005 and had 29k miles on it, today it has 57k. According to the MBUSA website... the 12-month/100k mile Certified Pre-Owned warranty is added onto the warranty when the 4 year/50k mile warranty finishes. So I'm wondering am I still under warranty????
#1. CPO's on Benz's are ONLY applicable for the owner that bought it used from the Benz dealer ORIGINALLY. Everyone (except you it seems) already knows this.
#2. Why didn't you CHECK how warranties work BEFORE you bought the car?
Old 10-07-2007, 01:40 AM

2002 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by ndabunka
#1. CPO's on Benz's are ONLY applicable for the owner that bought it used from the Benz dealer ORIGINALLY. Everyone (except you it seems) already knows this.
I'm new to cars, and I didn't check how warranties worked because the car didn't have warranty according to the dealer I bought it from.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
Originally Posted by ndabunka
why do you keep talking as if so definitively about CPO and how it applies w/o giving any real references? quite with this EVERYBODY language...you sound very arrogant but naive.

here's what i've experienced. my understanding is that Lexus CPO stays w/ the owner, but the MB/BMW warranty stays w/ the car. after all, there are many (NOT EVERYONE) people buying starmarked MBs and CPO BMWs from craigslist/autotrader and getting them warranty coverage still as the new owners.

therefore, unless you're going to survey every MB and BMW dealer in the US to confirm that warranty goes w/ the owner and not w/ the car for the prior owner's starmark/cpo, quit talking like you know something that you don't.

p.s. btw, even w/ my prior Lexus that technically didn't include transferable coverage of the certified 100k warranty, the Lexus service adviser was still able to repairs items under warranty.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:37 AM

2002 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by bzliteyear
why do you keep talking as if so definitively about CPO and how it applies w/o giving any real references? quite with this EVERYBODY language...you sound very arrogant but naive.

here's what i've experienced. my understanding is that Lexus CPO stays w/ the owner, but the MB/BMW warranty stays w/ the car. after all, there are many (NOT EVERYONE) people buying starmarked MBs and CPO BMWs from craigslist/autotrader and getting them warranty coverage still as the new owners.

therefore, unless you're going to survey every MB and BMW dealer in the US to confirm that warranty goes w/ the owner and not w/ the car for the prior owner's starmark/cpo, quit talking like you know something that you don't.

p.s. btw, even w/ my prior Lexus that technically didn't include transferable coverage of the certified 100k warranty, the Lexus service adviser was still able to repairs items under warranty.
Thanks for telling him that. I woulda said it.. but it would've lead to bigger things. And this is only the internet.