Sponsored by:

ECU REFLASH VS RECHIPPED

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 11:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
99 model w210 e55 amg
ECU REFLASH VS RECHIPPED

HI guys! my friend is encouraging me to have my car custom tuned via reflash tru the obd port , right now i have a chip on my car but he said i will be getting more power and the tune than the chip and the reflash will be custom made for my car . he said the good thing is that the temperature, gas and mods will be tuned to fit my car unlike the chipping that they dont custom tune it for my car and its a MAP not perfectly tuned for my car... what can you say about this is reflashing safe? is it better than chipping? pls help me thanks! the guy said the reflashing will be consisting before and after dyno charts, tuning , license and warranty, and will be safe.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
all OBD2 cars are reflashed, whether its done through OBD2 port or the ECU is taken out is merely for ease of installation. OBD1 cars are chipped.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:10 PM

99 model w210 e55 amg
what i mean is the kind of tuning because theres one that does chipping where they replaced the chipf the car with an altered chip/tuned chip like superchips then install it to your ecu but it is not tuned on what fuel and mods you have its a universal map for all . and theres one that does flash tuning where they have a tool that attached to the obd port then they changed the fuel trims, ignition, timing of the car and wide open tuning map of th engine. and it can be custom for your car because it will be done via dynojet/dynapack .

Last edited by pinoyk20; 08-27-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:41 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
I think you may be confused. Nobody removes the chips anymore, that is old fashioned OBD1 tuning. You either have a standard performance reflash (most "off the shelf" tunes) or a custom tune reflash, but both are purely software, there are no hardware changes for either. Obviously a custom tune is better, but is typically WAY more expensive.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:29 PM

99 model w210 e55 amg
oh ok now i understand so i guess thats what they did to my ecu before when they reflashed the program ... but now what im wanting to do is reflash it again with tuning for my e55 so it be custom tuned for my car... also do you think i will a good gain of power on custom tuning? thanks
Old 08-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Originally Posted by pinoyk20
oh ok now i understand so i guess thats what they did to my ecu before when they reflashed the program ... but now what im wanting to do is reflash it again with tuning for my e55 so it be custom tuned for my car... also do you think i will a good gain of power on custom tuning? thanks
If you have done all the hardware modifications (headers, cats, x-pipe, pulley, k&n filters, etc etc) then yes a custom tune makes sense and is worthwhile. But until you've done all your hardware upgrades I would wait. Hope that helps.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:23 PM

99 model w210 e55 amg
oh ok. i wanted to try renttech airbox thinking i would gain power with a tune cause im scared of the KNN fiter messing up my sensors. i alomost have evrything from headerd,xpipe, cat delete and pipng. only pulleys and filter are not. thanks
Old 08-29-2009, 02:21 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
oh ok. i wanted to try renttech airbox thinking i would gain power with a tune cause im scared of the KNN fiter messing up my sensors. i alomost have evrything from headerd,xpipe, cat delete and pipng. only pulleys and filter are not. thanks
People run K&N filters for years with zero issues, its a bit of scare mongering more than anything else, only if you reoil them with way too much oil can it be a problem. However, that really isn't necessary. Simply tap them out once a year and vacuum them and they are almost good as new.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:31 AM

99 model w210 e55 amg
so its safe to use knn filters?
Old 08-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
so its safe to use knn filters?
sure, used it in all 3 of my AMGs for years. It really doesn't do any harm as long as its used properly. If you are paranoid you can clean your MAS with 91% isopropyl alcohol once a year, but even that isn't really necessary.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:19 PM

99 model w210 e55 amg
thanks ams! im still thinking of the ecu flash wtih tuning... hmmm....