W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very interesting information for all those with low power concern, slow w210 e55

Old 03-11-2010, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
00 e55
Very interesting information for all those with low power concern, slow w210 e55

In my research this is what I came up with so far, unfortunalty my local dealer has no clue about this issue and wants $6000 for new ECU
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2010-03-11_130741_44.00.2.pdf (17.7 KB, 714 views)
Old 03-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Esh

E55
Try resetting your ECU?
Old 03-11-2010, 08:02 PM

00 e55
Originally Posted by Esh
Try resetting your ECU?
If your gaining significant amount of power from resetting your ECU,, your ecu is defective, if you hook up a simple obd2 reader you will see that your car is running lean that is why it looses power, its bad for the engine too. https://mbworld.org/forums/w210-amg/...what-heck.html
Mercedes should have done a recall

Last edited by amgalex; 03-11-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:28 AM
Esh

E55
Sounds like you got it all figured out
Old 03-12-2010, 04:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
so I'm assuming there isn't a recall for this?
Old 03-12-2010, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Do any third party ECU flashes change this behavior (the long term trims)?
Old 03-12-2010, 02:46 PM

00 e55
Originally Posted by saintz
Do any third party ECU flashes change this behavior (the long term trims)?
As far as I know they dont have that ability and in that service bulleting the fix is to replace the ECU and not reflash or update programmming I wonder why..but I hope Im wrong, cause new ECU is expensive..
Old 03-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Are you sure you don't have a large vacuum leak of some kind, It's almost unheard of to have an AMG ECU go out, usually they are pretty durable units and last the life of the car. If anything the ECU is probably fine but some of the sensors hooked up to it (that have been neglected to be replaced) are the ones to be at fault. Simply replacing the ECU probably won't do anything to fix the problem.

just stated the more likely scenario
Old 03-12-2010, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 01 E55
The ECU in my car was replaced at around 35,000 miles under the MB bumper to bumper warranty. I don't have a copy of the original complaint, but it was replaced due to some sort of performance concern by the Mercedes dealer in Santa Monica back in 2004...
Old 03-12-2010, 10:10 PM

00 e55
Originally Posted by AMS Performance
Are you sure you don't have a large vacuum leak of some kind, It's almost unheard of to have an AMG ECU go out, usually they are pretty durable units and last the life of the car. If anything the ECU is probably fine but some of the sensors hooked up to it (that have been neglected to be replaced) are the ones to be at fault. Simply replacing the ECU probably won't do anything to fix the problem.

just stated the more likely scenario
Why do you think they would have a service bulletin on this problem???
Also look on Uk forums, lots of e w210 cars had ecu problem...

Pretty much everything that coudl be checked was checked on my car.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by amgalex
Why do you think they would have a service bulletin on this problem???
Also look on Uk forums, lots of e w210 cars had ecu problem...

Pretty much everything that coudl be checked was checked on my car.
I mean the problem that you r having with your car is just completely weird to me. Have you chgd your CPS sensor and or cam sensor?

Been on this sight for yrs and no-one with a M113 V8 MB ever reported a problem with a defective ECU. So your issue is rare.
And since when does an ECU for a E55 cost 6k?
I paid a mere fraction of that for an E55 ECU when I tried one in my car. MB is gonna sell you a rebuilt ECU anyway.

Last edited by ProjectC55; 03-14-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:42 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
I agree w/ projectc55, the story doesn't add up. There are much better options for such a scenario
Old 03-15-2010, 04:59 PM

00 e55
Originally Posted by ProjectC55
I mean the problem that you r having with your car is just completely weird to me. Have you chgd your CPS sensor and or cam sensor?

Been on this sight for yrs and no-one with a M113 V8 MB ever reported a problem with a defective ECU. So your issue is rare.
And since when does an ECU for a E55 cost 6k?
I paid a mere fraction of that for an E55 ECU when I tried one in my car. MB is gonna sell you a rebuilt ECU anyway.
I was told by Mercedes that there is no way to re-flash the ECU it has to be a brand new unit.
As far as no one reporting a defective ECU on these cars: well look at how many ppl complain of power loss and how many have an lumpy idle, both of the symptoms can be a sign of a bad ECU. No one just gets diagnosed with a bad ECU but it don't mean its not the problem, most ppl will try new MAF which will initially appear to fix the problem only to later again notice a loss of power until the reset is performed.

Why did you get a new ECU anyway?
Old 03-15-2010, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I was told by Mercedes that there is no way to re-flash the ECU it has to be a brand new unit.
As far as no one reporting a defective ECU on these cars:
Why did you get a new ECU anyway?
I don't have a new ECU. And that is a lie that it can't be reflashed. Or perhaps I should say not by them. Power loss could be from many things other than MAF which is one of the most popular causes.
well look at how many ppl complain of power loss and how many have an lumpy idle, both of the symptoms can be a sign of a bad ECU. No one just gets diagnosed with a bad ECU but it don't mean its not the problem, most ppl will try new MAF which will initially appear to fix the problem only to later again notice a loss of power until the reset is performed.

How many folks?

I have not run into folks here in this forum,which I've been a member of since 2k4,mention that they had to take their car back to have the ECU replaced.

Have you chgd the CPS?
Have you chgd the cam sensor?
Have you chgd the plugs and or wires?
Have you chgd the O2 sensors?
Have you chgd the MAF?
Do you have defective Cats?
Make sure there r no vacuum leaks.

These are things I had to ask myself after we dropped my 5.4L motor in the car,because the car was no faster if not slower than my friends C43..

Found a few things:
Different sets of sparkplugs,ALL OLD from Champion,and Bosch,full of rust.
Leaking sparkplug wires.
Defective MAF.
Old fuel filter.

I chgd everything at one time and the car was a completely different animal.
This was after many dyno sessions.

Last edited by ProjectC55; 03-16-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63 AMG
I don't have a new ECU. And that is a lie that it can't be reflashed. Or perhaps I should say not by them. Power loss could be from many things other than MAF which is one of the most popular causes.

How many folks?I have not run into folks here in this forum,which I've been a member of since 2k4,mention that they had to take their car back to have the ECU replaced.

Have you chgd the CPS?
Have you chgd the MAF?

These are things I had to ask myself when after we dropped my 5.4L motor in the car,because the car was no faster if not slower than my friends C43..

Found a few things:
Leaking sparkplug wires.
Defective MAF.
Old fuel filter.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:55 AM

00 e55

How many folks?I have not run into folks here in this forum,which I've been a member of since 2k4,mention that they had to take their car back to have the ECU replaced.

Have you chgd the CPS?
Have you chgd the MAF?

These are things I had to ask myself when after we dropped my 5.4L motor in the car,because the car was no faster if not slower than my friends C43..

Found a few things:
Leaking sparkplug wires.
Defective MAF.
Old fuel filter.

Have tried: checked for vacuum leaks, 4 MAF's, did an injector flush, fuel filter, engine mounts, o2's, spark plugs, spark plug wires, ignition coils, map sensor, cleaned egr valve, replaced new seals on intake to MAF and to TB housing, took the car to dealer for diagnostics = no results, took the car to independent import car mechanics= said may ecu is doing weird things by narrowing injector pulse when it should be going wide instead and no check engine light.....

Last edited by amgalex; 03-16-2010 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Have tried: checked for vacuum leaks, 4 MAF's, did an injector flush, fuel filter, engine mounts, o2's, spark plugs, spark plug wires, ignition coils, map sensor, cleaned egr valve, replaced new seals on intake to MAF and to TB housing, took the car to dealer for diagnostics = no results, took the car to independent import car mechanics= said may ecu is doing weird things by narrowing injector pulse when it should be going wide instead and no check engine light.....
Well our cars do not have Map sensors ,I believe only the S/C MB's do,unless you are talking about the CPS. Have you chgd that? And have you chgd the cam sensor? Did they chk the temp sensor?

How r your cats?

Do all these things b4 investing in a ECU which you could by for 800 to 1200.00 from MB.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:29 PM

00 e55
Well our cars do not have Map sensors ,I believe only the S/C MB's do,unless you are talking about the CPS. Have you chgd that? And have you chgd the cam sensor? Did they chk the temp sensor?

How r your cats?

Do all these things b4 investing in a ECU which you could by for 800 to 1200.00 from MB.
If cat were pluged car would be slugish all the time, car dives great after the reset.
You sure our cars dont have a map sensor? cause if you conect an obd2, map readings sure registers there.
CPS would not have anything to do with performance, if it were bad I would have an occasional no start issue but not low performance ....
Temp sensors work just fine according to an obd2 reader.

Sensor that i changed is the one on the front portion of the engine under the cover by under the air pump
Old 03-16-2010, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If cat were pluged car would be slugish all the time, car dives great after the reset.
You sure our cars dont have a map sensor? cause if you conect an obd2, map readings sure registers there.
CPS would not have anything to do with performance, if it were bad I would have an occasional no start issue but not low performance ....
A bad CPS could also cause the car to miss which mine is doing right now. It would also cause your car to stall after a stop,or even not start at all.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:19 PM

00 e55
well my car does appear to be missing at idle but always starts and i never had it die on me other than a few times in real cold weather during a start , it would start then die after 5 sec but never died after i restarted it the second time.

I never changed the CPS

Last edited by amgalex; 03-16-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

well my car does appear to be missing at idle but always starts and i never had it die on me other than a few times in real cold weather during a start , it would start then die after 5 sec but never died after i restarted it the second time.
I gotta ask you again bro,did you chg the CPS,if not thats a move I would make. Atl east you will have clrd ALL bases. If that does not do it then make the investment if u r thouroughly convinced it's the ECU. Im just saying that I've never heard of any one with An AMG from 98 to pretty much now have such an issue. Keep us posted.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:53 PM

00 e55
I gotta ask you again bro,did you chg the CPS,if not thats a move I would make. Atl east you will have clrd ALL bases. If that does not do it then make the investment if u r thouroughly convinced it's the ECU. Im just saying that I've never heard of any one with An AMG from 98 to pretty much now have such an issue. Keep us posted.

CPS has nothign to do with car loosing power slowly due to fuel trim does it?

Last edited by amgalex; 03-16-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CPS has nothign to do with car loosing power slowly due to fuel trim does it?
Nope ignition timing of course!

Sorry no-one has ans. But it is strange.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63 AMG
Question

Interesting indeed..... what's the history behind your car? Did you ever run a carfax? Flood damage? Salvage? I remember you saying that the car didn't come with fog lamps at one point.. (I think) and you do have a nice coat of paint. Front and Back.

You know, I'm backing you up on this.. just saying... doesn't hurt to investigate.

Johnny
Old 03-16-2010, 08:31 PM

00 e55
Originally Posted by armaniE55
Interesting indeed..... what's the history behind your car? Did you ever run a carfax? Flood damage? Salvage? I remember you saying that the car didn't come with fog lamps at one point.. (I think) and you do have a nice coat of paint. Front and Back.

You know, I'm backing you up on this.. just saying... doesn't hurt to investigate.

Johnny
I never said anything about car missing foglamps
no flood, no salvage,, has one accident on carfax

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Very interesting information for all those with low power concern, slow w210 e55