W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ELEC. STABIL. PROG. ESP Visit Workshop! ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001: Supercharged E55 AMG
ELEC. STABIL. PROG. ESP Visit Workshop! ???

My car get this on the dashboard if i go WOT and between the shift 2:nd to 3:d gear, but sometimes even at WOT on 3:d gear.

I have changed the Brake light switch without any result. My guess is that the tranny is slipping so much that it put it self into this "limp mode".

Syptom are that the car won't drive when this ESP warning comes up. No nothing at all, engine just stalls at 1400 rpm and you have to restart it to be able to drive again.

Any clue?

ELEC. STABIL. PROG. ESP Visit Workshop! ???-dsc05184.jpg

ELEC. STABIL. PROG. ESP Visit Workshop! ???-dsc05186.jpg
Old 10-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Out Of Control!

Interesting.

Mine comes up on occasion but it's the BAS light. And even though i've changed the brake lamp switch it still does it now and then. I've actually learned to live with it. Guess that's the price you have to pay for too many mods? lol!
Old 10-09-2010, 12:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
moon buggy
I've gotten that only once since I've owned my E55. I searched on this forum
how to reset it and did so. If I remember it right, to reset it, you have to put it in park with engine running, turn left all the way, turn right all the way, turn off the car and restart. But you should search again for exact steps.

It's been almost 4 years and has not re-appeared. I took it to the dealership to have it checked just for my peace of mind and they couldn't reproduce the issue. Good luck and I hope it's just a fluke and nothing major.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:42 PM

I tried the steering wheel turn thing today,but no luck with that one either. I've also tried a new TPS sensor earlier without any luck. Car looses incredible amount of power after these ESP warnings, seems like a long shot, but i wonder if it's MAF sensor related since it looses alot of power?
Old 10-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
monowiper
the loss of power has nothing to do with the MAF
it's just the car goes into limp mode, which is just that barely any power...

do you have a code reader? if so what codes you getting? they'll be stored there until you erase them, it'll give a better idea and pinpoint to the problem.

could be as simple as a speed sensor...abs unit hopefully it's not but double check for any leaks around the abs unit itselt (aluminum part and the plastic controller that attaches to it), sometimes with age, there controller goes bad in bosch abs because of slight leaks onto the circuit, causing the bas/esp error codes...hopefully it's not that and just a sensor...
Old 10-12-2010, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Eurosport
the loss of power has nothing to do with the MAF
it's just the car goes into limp mode, which is just that barely any power...

do you have a code reader? if so what codes you getting? they'll be stored there until you erase them, it'll give a better idea and pinpoint to the problem.

could be as simple as a speed sensor...abs unit hopefully it's not but double check for any leaks around the abs unit itselt (aluminum part and the plastic controller that attaches to it), sometimes with age, there controller goes bad in bosch abs because of slight leaks onto the circuit, causing the bas/esp error codes...hopefully it's not that and just a sensor...
Hi!

Isn't the speed sensor in the valve package/conductor plate underneath the car on the tranny? Or is it in the ESP/BAS unit under the hood?

I'll have to pull the codes to see what they say.

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
moon buggy
Yup, it's underneath the car. When I had this issue, I read somewhere in the other forum that it could be the cause so I bought a new one from autohausaz but the problem hasn't returned for 4 years now so I never bothered to replace them. Even the dealers balked at having it replaced.
Hopefully in your case, this will be cause bec. the part itself is cheap.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Originally Posted by ABALONE
Hi!

Isn't the speed sensor in the valve package/conductor plate underneath the car on the tranny? Or is it in the ESP/BAS unit under the hood?

I'll have to pull the codes to see what they say.

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2010, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by ob1kenobi
Yup, it's underneath the car. When I had this issue, I read somewhere in the other forum that it could be the cause so I bought a new one from autohausaz but the problem hasn't returned for 4 years now so I never bothered to replace them. Even the dealers balked at having it replaced.
Hopefully in your case, this will be cause bec. the part itself is cheap.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Ok, but funny thing is that my conductor plate is new (including the speed sensor right?) So i guess it's something else thats causing this
Old 10-13-2010, 11:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 E55
Hey AB what codes are you getting? That should help with your diagnose.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by RAMON55
Hey AB what codes are you getting? That should help with your diagnose.
A bit late, but i've pulled a few codes. Don't know if they tell you anything.

EGS (Electronic Gear System)
Code 120 and 121 (wheel speed front, right/left of the traction system is implausible at times)

ESP (Electronic Stability System)
Code:
C1100-001 L6/1 (speed sensor front left)
C1101-001 L6/2 (speed sensor front right)
C1504-009 (system is disarmed steering angle is not initialized)
C1041 (CAN-Message : Engine management can not perform operation/torque request)
C1200 S9/1 (Brake light switch) (Have changed that one without any luck)

Let me know if you have any clue.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:49 AM

2001 E55 AMG - 2001 E320 - 1990 300CE
Check This Out

http://www.aclassinfo.co.uk/mypage.18.htm

Good information here. Also some say if the battery is weak, ie. drops below 10Vdc intermittently, can cause this problem.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Hus

1998 e430, 2002 e55, 2007 Ridgeline
ABALONE, what was the outcome? was it something stupid or something serious?
Old 04-17-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Hus
ABALONE, what was the outcome? was it something stupid or something serious?
I never got a chance to sort this out last year before winter over here. So i will try to find out what the problem is this year. So you have the same problem? Are you also on a S/C ?

// Magnus
Old 04-17-2011, 09:37 AM
Hus

yeah, i replaced my motor mounts Friday, so on my way home i slammed the gas pedal and the car choked up and the ESP visit work shop message came on the display. My mechanic suggested to replace the Throttle Position Sensor, but i came to a do a forum search and i came across your problem, which exactly described my problem. I'll let you know if this TPS sensor i ordered is my problem, Maybe the new one you ordered is a dud or defect?

i have the HPS 1st generation Super Charger, the one that Bolts on the side of the motor. I put my car on the Dyno recently at a speed shop in Connecticut. I need some ECU programming so it stays working great.
Attached Thumbnails ELEC. STABIL. PROG. ESP Visit Workshop! ???-e55-dyno-results.jpg  
Old 04-17-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Hus
yeah, i replaced my motor mounts Friday, so on my way home i slammed the gas pedal and the car choked up and the ESP visit work shop message came on the display. My mechanic suggested to replace the Throttle Position Sensor, but i came to a do a forum search and i came across your problem, which exactly described my problem. I'll let you know if this TPS sensor i ordered is my problem, Maybe the new one you ordered is a dud or defect?

i have the HPS 1st generation Super Charger, the one that Bolts on the side of the motor. I put my car on the Dyno recently at a speed shop in Connecticut. I need some ECU programming so it stays working great.
Yes, that would be nice of you to tell me if a new TPS solves the problem. It might be like you said that the one i ordered was a dud/defect one.

Do you also have to restart your car after this happens and then you can drive normal again, untill you make a WOT and the car starts all over again with this ESP junk?

Great power, is it a IC on that kit? How much boost?

Let me know!
Old 04-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Hus

Yes, exactly! car starts up normally and if i drive it normally everything is OK, its when i hit the gas and its WOT then the EPS, CEL lights come on and the car wont take any gas, i can keep tapping on the gas pedal and even holding it down the car is not taking any fuel. But the car stays on, i just cant accelerate, it crawls or feels like its rolling.. when i shut off the car and then restart it, there is no CEL or ESP light, everything is clear, the car goes back to normal and drives normal... then when i try to put the pedal to the metal the ESP light, visit workshop message appears and the dash and the car will not accept any fuel, but the car stays on. i did this like 10 times and the same thing keeps happening. WOT puts the ESP light on and the car loses all power and the gas pedal is not responsive... When the ESP light comes on then Check engine is on also, when i plug in my scanner it says its the TPS sensor...
i ordered the TPS sensor saturday, so should ship monday and im hoping to get it by this wednesday or thursday, i will definitely let you know whats the outcome.

I dont have an intercooler, i do have the Meth/Water kit that i was hoping to install this spring once i get my ECU issue resolved. I did upgrade my fuel pump to the bosch 007, that worked out great...I tried to get my ECU flashed for this supercharger but theres no flash for it.. I spoke to Drew and he did a piggyback computer "split sec psc1-001" im looking to try this unit and hopefully get this working 100%. i had some kind of resistor on the MAF line going to the ECU to try to stabilize the signal. i dont think that SH*T ever worked...

First i have to make sure the car runs....lol...
Old 04-21-2011, 08:27 AM
Hus

Hey AB, i installed the TPS sensor this morning and it solved my problem. i can hold down the gas pedal and the car takes off, no CEL, no ESP, no problems at all... double check the new TPS sensor you installed, is the connector plugged in tight, any lose or broken pins or wires inside the connector? is the spring on top of the sensor installed correctly? I hope you find the problem, its probably something stupid, it usually is... later bro.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Hus
Hey AB, i installed the TPS sensor this morning and it solved my problem. i can hold down the gas pedal and the car takes off, no CEL, no ESP, no problems at all... double check the new TPS sensor you installed, is the connector plugged in tight, any lose or broken pins or wires inside the connector? is the spring on top of the sensor installed correctly? I hope you find the problem, its probably something stupid, it usually is... later bro.
Thats really great news! Glad it fixed your problem and hopefully it will fix mine to

I forgot to say that the TPS i bought was a used one, so it might be a even bigger chance that that one was broken.

Did you have to reset any codes or so with a STAR och battery disconect, or did you just change the TPS and drove away?
Old 04-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Hus

i just swapped it out, i didn't disconnect my battery. Hope your problem is the used part you tried to use... Do you want to buy my old TPS sensor?? lol.. good luck!
Old 04-22-2011, 09:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2002 E55 AMG Obsidian Black with Charcoal
Originally Posted by ABALONE
I forgot to say that the TPS i bought was a used one...
Originally Posted by Hus
Hope your problem is the used part you tried to use... Do you want to buy my old TPS sensor?? lol.. good luck!
Cold, really cold Hus....Colder then winter i Gamla Stan.

ABALONE: hope that the new TPS works for you.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by cudaized
Cold, really cold Hus....Colder then winter i Gamla Stan.

ABALONE: hope that the new TPS works for you.
Hahaha, Gamla Stan Have you been there? I'm from Stockholm

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2011, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Hus
i just swapped it out, i didn't disconnect my battery. Hope your problem is the used part you tried to use... Do you want to buy my old TPS sensor?? lol.. good luck!
Old 04-23-2011, 11:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2002 E55 AMG Obsidian Black with Charcoal
<----- Född i Nacka. Växte upp i Malmö. But spent most of my life in South Florida.
Get the TPS switched out. I want to hear about your E55 running wide open!

Ola Nilsson