Sponsored by:

Does this seem normal to you? Thx!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 10:13 AM
RPB

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Does this seem normal to you? Thx!

I am looking at a 2001 55 two-tone, the car has 105k and looks in good shape. No accidents on CarFax.

I was looking over some paperwork from 7 years ago when it had 50k and there was some work done that I found interesting. On two separate visits it a short span it had all this below done:

Blower motor operation checked
Recommended maintenance performed
Spark plug(s) replaced
Spark plugs and wires replaced
Engine/powertrain computer/module checked
Shift linkage repaired
A/C and heating system checked
Front carpet replaced
Interior trim repaired
Evaporator case drain hose repaired
Maintenance inspection completed
Seat memory computer/module replaced
Electrical system checked
Cabin air filter replaced
Blower motor controller replaced
Door sill plate/trim replaced
Cooling system checked
Front turn signal/parking bulb(s) replaced
Headlight(s) replaced

Ashtray replaced
Console shifter trim replaced
Lighter replaced/repaired
Steering wheel replaced
Horn replaced
Brake light switch replaced
Front seat adjuster replaced
High mount brake light assembly replaced
Interior trim repaired

Is this normal for these cars?

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2012, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e36 318i, 2004 sti
Sounds like something very major happened!... Did you look over the body panels very well?
Old 07-15-2012, 10:59 AM
RPB

Originally Posted by MBfinatic
Sounds like something very major happened!... Did you look over the body panels very well?
No the car is far away but paperwork was faxed and I picked up on this. He agreed to me having a PPI done. I thought exactly what you stated! Something does not jive here and I might run away. Thinking I might be better off spending $16k for a very clean low mileage example with nothing like this on the CarFax vs. $9-10k for the aforementioned.

I have never seen so much replaced in two visits so close to each other and something must have happened!
Old 07-15-2012, 11:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG 2002 E55, 1997 E320
Originally Posted by RPB
I am looking at a 2001 55 two-tone, the car has 105k and looks in good shape. No accidents on CarFax.

I was looking over some paperwork from 7 years ago when it had 50k and there was some work done that I found interesting. On two separate visits it a short span it had all this below done:

Blower motor operation checked
Recommended maintenance performed
Spark plug(s) replaced
Spark plugs and wires replaced
Shift linkage repaired
A/C and heating system checked
Front carpet replaced
Interior trim repaired
Evaporator case drain hose repaired
Maintenance inspection completed
Seat memory computer/module replaced
Cabin air filter replaced
Door sill plate/trim replaced
Cooling system checked
Front turn signal/parking bulb(s) replaced
Headlight(s) replaced

Ashtray replaced
Console shifter trim replaced
Lighter replaced/repaired
Steering wheel replaced
Horn replaced
Brake light switch replaced
Front seat adjuster replaced
High mount brake light assembly replaced
Interior trim repaired

Is this normal for these cars?

Thanks!
Sounds like flood or some kind of water damage. Can you tell the city and date when those repairs took place? Was there some extreme weather?
Old 07-15-2012, 11:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55
Sounds like it could possibly be flood damaged
Old 07-15-2012, 12:20 PM
RPB

Originally Posted by mufc
Sounds like it could possibly be flood damaged
Very interesting points and I really appreciate the great feedback. I am running for the hills on this one guys! Sucks because it was exactly what I wanted but this is too abnormal for me to keep trying to find out what happened. Repairs were down at a MB dealership in Brooklyn, NY between 09/04 and 05/05. I called the dealership where the repairs were done, they told me no information could be released due to the owners privacy. I told them it was for sale at a dealership and they still would not budge!

I just need to be patient and wait for the right one. Good things come to those who wait, right.

Last edited by RPB; 07-15-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 E55 AMG, 1999 E55 AMG , Audi allroad 2.7T sold ,08 Jeep SRT8 sold, 06 TBSS Sold
Originally Posted by RPB
Very interesting points and I really appreciate the great feedback. I am running for the hills on this one guys! Sucks because it was exactly what I wanted but this is too abnormal for me to keep trying to find out what happened. Repairs were down at a MB dealership in Brooklyn, NY between 09/04 and 05/05. I called the dealership where the repairs were done, they told me no information could be released due to the owners privacy. I told them it was for sale at a dealership and they still would not budge!

I just need to be patient and wait for the right one. Good things come to those who wait, right.
I think you made the right decision. Run from that headache.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e36 318i, 2004 sti
I agree it could be a flood.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:48 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,404 Likes on 2,847 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by RPB

sounds like you did the right thing here.....
I can just imagine the seller kicking the air on that one lol
Old 07-15-2012, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
I bought mine with no records for a good price at the time and it came back to bite me in the ***. Including 2 sets of tires, I've dumped over $5,000 into since I bought it in May 2011.

Everything is finally squared away with it now which is nice. It's no longer a money pit at this point and is just a fast, comfortable and reliable DD.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:47 PM

AMG 2002 E55, 1997 E320
Originally Posted by RPB

Good idea, wait for a good car it will make your years of ownership much more pleasant.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
Walk away...there are plenty of these cars with less miles and probably less money
Old 07-16-2012, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E55 AMG
Flood damage was my first thought when reading.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
Beating up a dead horse here. Agree w/everyone else stay away. I had a friend who bought a E430 Salvage Title w/Flood damage. Sure the car drove great for the first year......after that he started having all kinds of electrical gremlins

The car ended up needing an entire wire harness due to corrosion and of course one can't see this without taking the car apart. I told him not to buy it

Armani
Old 07-16-2012, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Uh, has it ...

Occurred to any of you that the evaporator drain was clogged, ruined the carpet, and was replaced under warranty or at the dealer? And as far as the blower fan , that's quite a common problem with the 210, 55 or no. I'd just be glad to know it had been fixed. And if all those repairs had been funded by an insurer, it's a pretty safe bet that the car would have shown flood on at least one of the two services, if not both.
And if you think there are a lot of nice low mileage examples of these cars left out there "for a little more money", then I wish you luck. Most of these cars have 100 plus k miles, no history, and are out of the hands of enthusiasts. Anyway, he's moved on now, but don't just immediately jump to conclusions! If you havent had some issues with your 210, 55 or not, then consider yourself lucky. It's just a matter of who's going to ix them, you or the last guy. Or the next one.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:43 PM

AMG 2002 E55, 1997 E320
Originally Posted by allenjdmb
Occurred to any of you that the evaporator drain was clogged, ruined the carpet, and was replaced under warranty or at the dealer? And as far as the blower fan , that's quite a common problem with the 210, 55 or no. I'd just be glad to know it had been fixed. And if all those repairs had been funded by an insurer, it's a pretty safe bet that the car would have shown flood on at least one of the two services, if not both.
And if you think there are a lot of nice low mileage examples of these cars left out there "for a little more money", then I wish you luck. Most of these cars have 100 plus k miles, no history, and are out of the hands of enthusiasts. Anyway, he's moved on now, but don't just immediately jump to conclusions! If you havent had some issues with your 210, 55 or not, then consider yourself lucky. It's just a matter of who's going to ix them, you or the last guy. Or the next one.
Sounds like you know this car the OP was soliciting opions on - why not tell us all why this car had these repairs. I have never heard of a non-water damaged car having these type of repairs
My sense is that the opinions expressed were based on the OP's facts presented on the car he was considering. Nothing more - nothing less.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Originally Posted by allenjdmb
I guess I might be lucky because my current W210 E55 is my second W210. Never had any problem except engine mounts. Tires, brakes/rotors and battery are consider as regular maintenance. My first W210 was E320 drove for 3 years and put 40K miles. E55 no repair at all. Thanks GOD. However, my MBW 745Li I spent $5K in 6 months and sold it at HUGE lost. If anyone think W210 is not reliable then no car is reliable.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
allenjdmb = Not disagreeing with you as anything is possible but very unlikely on a W210. I also owned a 99 E430 for 3 years and lurked around MBWorld and Benzwo** for sometime now and never heard of a Evap clogged drained.