W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake squeal - but with no foot on the brake?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Porsche 997TT
Brake squeal - but with no foot on the brake?

I have recently noticed the brake squeal that has been discussed here. I first heard this at a bank drive up window. Best way to hear being right next to the building and all. Also when next to another car. Anyway, I just noticed the squeal while rolling to a stop. I took my foot off the brake and started to roll forward and heard the same exact noise. My brakes are squeaking without my foot on the brake? I can only imagine the answer I'm going to get from my dealer on this one.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:32 PM

04 W211 E55 AMG
I have a little

I heard a very minor squeal sometimes...usually when cold start...dealer cannot find any problem and cannot duplicate it....sounds like something is touching each other but not sure where...mine is new pad and rotor about 2500 miles on them...so I just wait until they get worse and have dealer look at them again.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Hmm, this is something new. The pads must still be in contact with the surface of the rotor. Hope it can be fixed.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chris...

Do you think it might be a stuck spring caliper or even a loose or broken piston in the caliper? I had the stuck spring problem with my SL that made some really nasty squeel without even touching the pedal.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:03 AM

'04 E55 AMG, '05 Ford Explorer Limited V8, '04 Acura TSX with Nav
Brake squeal is real

Took my car in 3 times already for the squeal and the dealer has not been able to fix it. I actually had to pay for an alignment which they believe caused the problem but never did. You notice the squeaking when you generate a good amount of brake dust. Are the pads too close to the rotor at that point? Also, the noise for me is only on the passenger front wheel. How about anyone else? The noise too occurs at almost all speeds but extremely annoying and noticeable at slower speeds in quiet building blocks. Any chance it could be a bearing of some kind? I am not good with the technical stuff. I really want to get this fixed. I am cleaning the car every 3-4 days just to keep the sqeaking down.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:47 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by onesixeight
Chris...

Do you think it might be a stuck spring caliper or even a loose or broken piston in the caliper? I had the stuck spring problem with my SL that made some really nasty squeel without even touching the pedal.

I had the same problem on my E500 with the passenger side. It turned out to be a broken/stuck spring caliper.... After the dealer fixed it it was fine and has not caused trouble again since 1 year.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:18 AM
D-5

2003 E55
Mine squeals too, without braking. I only notice it when I roll down the windows in a quiet neighborhood... Also, my steering wheel makes this creaking noise when turning, anyone else has this issue with their steering wheel?
Old 10-14-2005, 04:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by cte430
I have recently noticed the brake squeal that has been discussed here. I first heard this at a bank drive up window. Best way to hear being right next to the building and all. Also when next to another car. Anyway, I just noticed the squeal while rolling to a stop. I took my foot off the brake and started to roll forward and heard the same exact noise. My brakes are squeaking without my foot on the brake? I can only imagine the answer I'm going to get from my dealer on this one.
The pads are always touching the rotor in a brake caliper. Both my E55 and SL55 make this same sound. I figured the pads were worn but they are only at 60% life.

Dealership told me it was normal and that the only way to solve it is to replace the pads but that it will simply come back. I think 10 hard stops from say 80 should cure it but I have not bothered to try. Lilkely the rotor just has some build-up and that makes the pad squeek.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Here's an old thread brought back to life! Well, I wish it were as simple as some of you said. The front rotors were cracked due to excessive heat "brought on by high speed driving". Never tracked the car, never had the warning lights come on. Car had 15,000 miles. The new set of rotors has now about 3K and I am getting a little vibration in the steering wheel when I apply the brakes. Signs of warped rotors. I will go nuts if they make me pay for this again. It's a joke that they market this car the way they do and then tell you don't drive it so hard. If these rotors are shot I will try the Evo discs. Can't be any worse, that's for sure.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:52 PM

'04 E55
My car has around 15K miles. When time to replace rotors and brake pads I'll consider buying the new EVO rotors.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:30 PM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Originally Posted by SamE55
My car has around 15K miles. When time to replace rotors and brake pads I'll consider buying the new EVO rotors.

Sam,

Just wanted to make sure you saw the track event scheduled. I know the last time you missed it.