W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Lack of power in your E55! Do you have mods?
Yes, I have mods
21.43%
No, I don't have mods
78.57%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Sample people with E55 lack of power problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Sample people with E55 lack of power problems

Let's do an experiment....

For all you guys with lack of power problems in your E55's, answer this poll as to whether you've done mods or not, and lets see if there is a stronger correllation between lack of power problems and mods, or not....
Old 07-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
That is why I'm sort of holding back on certain mods. I have a feeling that it is only going to get worse with mods because the car will heat up faster...
Old 07-08-2005, 05:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
And if you do have mods, please list what mods you have.

Here's a format to it.

ricky.agrawal - 200X E55
-Mod 1
-Mod 2
-Mod 3
-Mod X
-Anything extra you'd like to add.

Hopefully we can come to a solution to the powerloss incidents quicker.
Let's leave extra convo's out the thread, we already have two threads about the powerloss situation, this should be similair to a database as a reference for information.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:26 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Yup.. I think the mods make it worse also.. That's why i started with all the cooling stuff first.. headers/evo cooling system.. the stock car runs waaaayyy too hot already. I notice my car feels like it loses 100hp when it is hot.. We've had days where it is 38C + and the car feels like a honda civic for power.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

That's 100.4F for us in America.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
2004 E55
Mod1: Evosport chip ecu/pulley
Mod2: Evosport Headers
Mod3: Evosport Cooling Package
Mod4: Resonator Delete/Cat Delete
Mod5: Kleeman Lowering module
Mod6: Evosport floating rotors

I have other mods but these are the engine and performance mods. I have had no power loss issues thus far- should I consider myself lucky??
Old 07-08-2005, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG
We just diagnosed a local customer with the same intermittent power loss. OBDII scanner showed 172F Intake Charge Temperature (ICT) at idle, under boost it rose quickly to 225F at which point DME shut-off the compressor. After ICT cooled down to 185F, compressor came back on.

Dead intercooler cooling circuit pump. We have now seen over twenty cases on C32s and 55s. Picture below illustrates it's location.
Attached Thumbnails Sample people with E55 lack of power problems-e55-intercooler-circuit.jpg  
Old 07-08-2005, 07:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Whoo Hoo! Good job Vadim for fixing it so quickly with all the information to boot!
Old 07-08-2005, 08:00 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by Vadim @ evosport
We just diagnosed a local customer with the same intermittent power loss. OBDII scanner showed 172F Intake Charge Temperature (ICT) at idle, under boost it rose quickly to 225F at which point DME shut-off the compressor. After ICT cooled down to 185F, compressor came back on.

Dead intercooler cooling circuit pump. We have now seen over twenty cases on C32s and 55s. Picture below illustrates it's location.
So E55baller has the cooling package which came with a brand new pump but not just new, but bigger, better, and YET IT FAILED? Maybe it's not his pump and could be something else altogether. I can understand if a modded e55's stock pump has to work extra harder than stock since it's been modded and works that little xtra to keep things cool but I dont' see a brand new pump especially with additional cooling. If it is his pump, Maybe that particular one is faulty.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Like I mentioned in responce to E55baller, he could also have ESP issues.

Plugging in OBDII scanner and monitoring engine parametrs is the only way to know for sure what is the cause.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
I am very scared to get my CLS modded by Kleemann now. It seems as though that the problems stem from modding the car and if this is the case, I will likely sell the E55 and keep the CLS.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:55 PM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Have had my car with mods for over 4 months and in temps of 90-100 over th past month and I have yet to see any power lose. If anything, the car pulls harder with the IC mod over the past few weeks like in the winter months. Even before the IC mod with the stock pump I did not see any lose and went to the track during that time.

Maybe I am lucky so far........
Old 07-09-2005, 12:47 AM

04 E55
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
I am very scared to get my CLS modded by Kleemann now. It seems as though that the problems stem from modding the car and if this is the case, I will likely sell the E55 and keep the CLS.

Must be nice to have both the E55 and CLS55

also: Maybe PeterB can chime in, he's full of mods and I really haven't heard of any issues with him as of yet, and hopefully every.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Mods have nothing to do with pump failures.

It is a Bosch issue.

Both C/SLK32s and S/CL/E/G55s use Bosch fluid pumps. At this time there is a fairly high failure rate on them. The problem is that it starts as an intermitent failure which eventually becomes permanent. Very hard for dealers to diagnose.

Pumps failing has nothing to do whether your 55 has more power than stock. It is not related to more heat generated by more boost.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:01 AM

04 E55

It is a Bosch issue.

Both C/SLK32s and S/CL/E/G55s use Bosch fluid pumps. At this time there is a fairly high failure rate on them. The problem is that it starts as an intermitent failure which eventually becomes permanent. Very hard for dealers to diagnose.

Pumps failing has nothing to do whether your 55 has more power than stock. It is not related to more heat generated by more boost.
Time to get rid of my bosch windshield wipers. heh. actually I've had them replace already once under warranty.

Vadim: I meant to say, I've most heard of these issues more with E55's with mods, I'm not saying that it's the mods that actually cause these problems, but correct if I'm wrong it seems to be more ppl that have mods, but then again it can happen to anyone, I say we all ditch the bosch fluid pumps and all get a SWEET group buy and super cheap deal on the IC MOD from EVO.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:38 AM

E55
Well the poll definitely confirms it's not related to mods. So far 6 people with lack of performance problems have voted and only 1 of them had a modded car, the rest did not have any mods.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)

It is a Bosch issue.

Vadim...At what point does MB start doing a service recall on the Bosch fluid pump?

Is this problem inherent in ALL the Bosch pumps or a certain batch, model year, or other variable?

Can the dealer do a preventative look at the pump and find out if it is a "bad pump" even before it gives out?

PS...I have no power problems yet.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Maybe this is from out in left field, but can this cause the car to shut off? As some of you know, I have experienced a "stalling" problem from the first week I bought the car last May. I had the crank sensor replaced last fall and haven't had any stalling since. Until yesterday!!
Old 07-09-2005, 11:19 AM

04' E55
No Mods

I have not made any engine/suspension performance mods to my 04 E55, and yet am experiencing the problem.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I say we all ditch the bosch fluid pumps and all get a SWEET group buy and super cheap deal on the IC MOD from EVO.
Let me talk to the guys about it.

Vadim...At what point does MB start doing a service recall on the Bosch fluid pump?

Is this problem inherent in ALL the Bosch pumps or a certain batch, model year, or other variable?

Can the dealer do a preventative look at the pump and find out if it is a "bad pump" even before it gives out?
We have not heard anything from MB. It is possible something is coming down later on. So far they just replace the pump.

There is realy no way to tell. My guess motors short out and pump quits.

Maybe this is from out in left field, but can this cause the car to shut off? As some of you know, I have experienced a "stalling" problem from the first week I bought the car last May. I had the crank sensor replaced last fall and haven't had any stalling since. Until yesterday!!
The stalling is usually caused by bad Crankshaft Position Sensor. There was a service bulletin from MB with regard to it. I would take back to the dealer, it should be a known problem.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:55 PM

I live in Arizona and have driven the car regularly in 110-120 degree temps. I have not experienced the problems. I have no mods.

Just posting a data point.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:31 PM
Banned

WOW! just happened to me today and i can shed some light on the situation. just got back from a weeks vacation and got the car out waxed it and took it for a spin. must have been 95 degrees and on the way home after about 30 miles there is a long stretch of road leading to my house with some twists. so for 2 miles im blasting along, downshifting, flooring it, keeping it in second at 75 for some twists then at the last clearing i floor it. nothing. looked down instantly and saw a coolant pic and return to shop in the cente5r cluster. it wasnt a red note and only flashed for 1 sec so i could see how others may have missed it. so i put it into d and a 100 yds later stopped. took off traction control and floored it, nothing. tried again, nothing. just ho hum less than v8 power. tried it again a 3rd time and thought, ****!!! what the problem!!! problem was i was shredding the rear tires effortlessly and id didnt even feel like it was accelerating so it was back to normal. total time down 45 seconds. even though i have the ic upg that stretch of 2nd gear blasting at about 5500rpm in this heat seemed a bit much. i have noticed though that my pump doesnt come on as long as others do. ive actually only heard it come on twice. ill call evo on monday and see if i need to take it to the dealer and test and see if whatever engages the pump is working correctly, b/c the pump i know is working.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:28 AM

2004 E55 Evosport I & II; VRP H/E
We just diagnosed a local customer with the same intermittent power loss.
That was me. And now for an unsolicited plug (and speaking only for myself): I've been pleased with Evosport; the guys are very responsive to questions and you can tell that they have a passion for their business. I'm lucky to have such a great shop so close to where I live.

Thanks again Vadim,

Mark.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
My mods are listed below in my signature. I am going to get the OBDII scanner. Right now my car is with RPM Racing in Long Island.

They said they looked at the car and think it needs to goto MBenz to have a DSM tool to diagnose it. Before I do that however I will get the scanner and log some runs.

Of concern, and RPM should have realized this, is that my EVO cooling pump top was loose and it sprayed coolant in the engine bay.

Not sure if it is broken but RPM says it looks fine, however I don't even know if they have even really looked at the car yet. I can't get a straight answer.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG

I used to own a 93 Mazda RX7 which I also drag raced and tracked 225F is some serious heat. I NEVER saw 185F even when starting the car up in 105F degree weather heat soaked. My RX7 started to retard timing at 70C... and I never saw above 180F except perhaps once when I did 20 minutes of hard track use but high 50F's max on the street.

I am used to also having an EGT, Intake temp, and boost gauge in my previous cars. I think the intake temp would be the most meaninful. Has anyone done this yet on their cars? I defintiely woouldn't put it on the A pillar but someting stealthy purely for diagnostics seems necessary.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sample people with E55 lack of power problems