My 635 mile trip in my M5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 01:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
My 635 mile trip in my M5

Just got back from Oregon with My M5.

Wow! This is by far the best 4 door sedan there is. Simple as that.

Three gripes thus far.

1. Lack of low end puch in P400 mode. Under 3,000 RPM in P400 mode M5's output is really mediocre at best. But above that, this engine really cooks, sound nice too.

2. Lack of trunk closer option. This is one option that i really missed. I loved this on the E55 and BMW to me dropped the ball on this.

3. Small gas tank. M5 is a thirsty beast. Even at constant 80mph cruise back from oregon. The gas mileage is in the low 14 (far worse than my E55). Couple with small tank, i can barely get 200 miles on the tank before the reserve fuel waring pops up. At highway cruise, there is no way you can get 300 miles from a single tank. Which means you have to constantly stop for gas!!!!

Other than these three issues, the M5 outshines E55 in everything else.

M5 steering response is far more linear than E55. In addition, this thing love corners and grips is far superior than E55.

SMGIII is vastly improved than SMGII. A lot of jerkiness in the SMGII has been removed in SMGIII. Moreover, I complained very hard on the SMGII delay in down****ing more than 2 gears at once, this has been dramatically reduced in SMGIII. In fact during the trip back from oregon i can easily downshift from 7th to 4th and SMGIII would oblige very quickly. Overall, i think SMGIII has spell the death of true manual. SMGIII is that good. It made SMGII looks like 1000 year old design.

I-drve+voice command is now by far the best interface on the market. I have stated from beginning that I prefered I-drive over command. Because once you get used to the menus, its very easy to use and you don't even need to take your eyes off the road. This is still true. However, BMW's voice recognition has come a long way. In fact for daily use, you don't even need to use the I-drive knob any more.

A lot of people on this board complains about lack of key pad to key in phone numbers in I-drive. But why use a key pad when you can now dictate the phone numbers. Three voice command.

1. Telephone- brings the i-drive into phone menu.
2. Dial number (you can dictate the phone number one digit by one digit or you can give it as a sequence).
3. Dial.

Viola you just made 1st phone call using 3 verbal command. No need the use of i-drive knob, no key pad. I-drive and voice recognition really trumps command and japanese interface. Whoever designed BMW voice recognition deserve a nobel prize. It is that good. The recognition capability is by far the best out there. Better than Lexus/Fujustu voice recognition.

The new M5 handles very similar to the M3. It very nimble and as a driver you never feel the weight of M5's mass. My wife took a quick lap after i got home and commented that M5 feels lighter and much more nimble than the E55.

Also during my 635 drive back, with EDC at softest setting. M5 rides just as good as E55 on the highway. I was not expecting that M5 would be a great long distance cruiser. But i was so wrong on that. M5 at P400 mode and EDC at softest setting, really peformed just as well as E55 as highway cruiser.

Overall, M5 is too far ahead of E55. It can be as gental as E55 as daily cruiser and changes couple setting, you have a track car ready. I can't wait until my 1200 miles break in is done. That 500 HP with MDM transform an already capable car to the next level.

This is what a true sportsedan should be. The new M5 totally outclassed E55. I don't care what other E55 owners says. The M5 is just as good as E55 as highway cruiser. M5 has way better dynamics than E55. Now the I-drive/voice recognition is light year ahead of command. For $94k, this is the best sports sedan that money can buy right now. E55 will always have advantage in low end punch and ease of mod for straightline performance. But everything else, M5 is simply in a class of its own.

Now comes mandatory picture that i took today while at rest stop at redding this afternoon.

Last edited by krispykrme; 10-30-2005 at 01:33 AM.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dashboard looks ****ty. Just my opinion though.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 C230 K
Sick ride dude! enjoy!
Old 10-30-2005, 01:33 AM

04 E55
Originally Posted by AMG BLISS
At day light it does look ****ty. A night it actually looks not bad. White gauge over orange backdrop.

Although I still prefered the simple E46 M5/ E39 M5 all orange setup.

BMW will never win an elegant interior design. But functionally speaking it more than does its jobs.

One thing that I never gets why does MB feels the need to put a clock in the dashboard? For god sake its a sports sedan. Why do i need to monitor the clock at the dash? Give me something more useful (for example, engine oil monitor or a boost monitor). A clock???
Old 10-30-2005, 01:52 AM
Almost a Member!

you must be really proud since you've driven best of the best from both sides.... to be able to feel the difference in person should be really exciting... very informative writing too......Congrats to your sweet M5!!
Old 10-30-2005, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
The problem with the BMW 5 series phone interface is that it doesn't allow alpha numeric input.

I cannot input a simple number such as 1-800-BMW-HELP or enter a person's extension by spelling out his name. My understanding is that if you speak to the computer 'BMW', it will not automatically convert it to 269.

I hope BMW improved the voice command, I don't like it in the 745, don't like it in the E55, don't like it in the Honda Odyssey.

I believe the trunk closer is being added in Europe so I won't be surprised seeing it as a new option. I agree, I love the trunk closer on the E55.

Another new feature is the improved BMW version of the keyless go. On the current 5, if you opt for that feature, you cannot lock the car without fishing out the keyfob. However, I'm sure they'll fix the bug and upgrade the door handle like the 750.

I find the 545i with sports suspension too harsh a ride compared to the E55, can't imagine the M5 being better.

I see the M5 best as a good track car for those who can't fit in a 997, Elise, Noble, or Z06. The range is a little silly for long distance highway cruising.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:19 AM

2018 GLS63 AMG
Beautiful

Trending Topics

Old 10-30-2005, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by krispykrme

Wow! This is a subjective opinion from an antagonist who is here to incite, not the Word of God. Simple as that.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Received 519 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by Improviz
Wow! This is a subjective opinion from an antagonist who is here to incite, not the Word of God. Simple as that.

Krispy,

I am in agreement with Improviz. With post like this, it is clear that you are an antagonist. As an owner of an E46 M3 (SMG) I have a hard time understanding how this BMW "outshines" the E55 in about all categories. If your post sounded a little more objective I might buy some of your rhetoric.

Also, if you hate the E55 as much as many of your post imply, why not sell it and just drive your "Banglemobile."

Congratulations on the new M and I am sure it is a wonderful ride but please, give us a break.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Visually those pics do nothing for me but I am sure the ride is amazing. Enjoy your ride!
Old 10-30-2005, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,073 Likes on 860 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Ralph Nader's next book: "Ugly at any angle!"
Old 10-30-2005, 12:29 PM

05 E55, 03 Z4 3.0
A lot of people on this board complains about lack of key pad to key in phone numbers in I-drive. But why use a key pad when you can now dictate the phone numbers. Three voice command.

2. Dial number (you can dictate the phone number one digit by one digit or you can give it as a sequence).
3. Dial.

Viola you just made 1st phone call using 3 verbal command. No need the use of i-drive knob, no key pad. I-drive and voice recognition really trumps command and japanese interface. Whoever designed BMW voice recognition deserve a nobel prize.

My E55 does that now, same exact commands. Gl with the new car, enjoy!
Old 10-30-2005, 12:34 PM
Out Of Control!

Looks cheap. Congrats enjoy it in good health!
Old 10-30-2005, 01:06 PM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Originally Posted by Rock
Krispy,

I am in agreement with Improviz. With post like this, it is clear that you are an antagonist. As an owner of an E46 M3 (SMG) I have a hard time understanding how this BMW "outshines" the E55 in about all categories. If your post sounded a little more objective I might buy some of your rhetoric.

Also, if you hate the E55 as much as many of your post imply, why not sell it and just drive your "Banglemobile."

Congratulations on the new M and I am sure it is a wonderful ride but please, give us a break.

I am just waiting to have a new M5 try and play with me and see his face as I just walk away from him and he just looks at my rear with my FAST4DR plate

I am sure you are waiting also
Old 10-30-2005, 01:47 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by Rock
Krispy,

Like i care trolls like Improviz has to say. For someone that claims to drive an old CLK55 to talk crap makes no sense what so ever.

I am being more than objective here. Point out where E55 shines in terms of vehicl dynamics, steering response, and overall fun.

A sport sedan not only needs to have a good straight line performance. But excellent handling capability is also a must. This is something that is utterly lacking in the E55.

I have state is more than clearly. M5 is as good as E55 as highway cruiser. The SMGIII is smoother than SMGII and the ride with EDC in softest setting is very good. This is not like M3 which ride very harsh with 19". I will never take M3 on a 600+ miles drive. I was little hesitant in drivng the M5 back since it is going to be a long drive and my back will not take the punishment. But I was more than suprised that M5 rides extremely well.

I don't like my E55 but i don't hate it. It still has low end punch that M5 does not have. But it simply complete underwhelmed by the M5. Simple as that. Plus with all quality issue MB has, the resell value on the W211 blows. Since i don't need the cash why dump it and take a huge loss. That car is now my wife's weekend car.

Guys like you and improviz has too much ego tied to the car. Simple as that.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Congrats to BMW for finally beating Benz technology/handling that was designed/developed almost 5 years ago. 2001-2002 with 03 release.

Jealous though, none the less. Sounds fun!

Old 10-30-2005, 02:12 PM

2003 e55
Took my black e55 to International auto in Milwaukee. Parked next to and looked at new black M5. Nice, but Phyllis Diller on the outside and spartan on the inside...however....the m6 might be the next purchase...
Old 10-30-2005, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by pigman
Like i care trolls like Improviz has to say.
Someone is a troll here, fatso, but it ain't me. As usual, your vocabulary sucks as much as your comprehension. A troll is defined as: An individual who chronically trolls in sense 1;
regularly posts specious arguments, flames or personal attacks to a
newsgroup, discussion list, or in email for no other purpose than to
annoy someone or disrupt a discussion. Trolls are recognizable by
the fact that the have no real interest in learning about the topic
at hand - they simply want to utter flame bait. Like the ugly
creatures they are named after, they exhibit no redeeming
characteristics, and as such, they are recognized as a lower form of
life on the net, as in, "Oh, ignore him, he's just a troll."

By any measure, your posts are not for learning, but to annoy, incite, and insult. You post crap. Anyone who disagrees with your crap is attacked, insulted, and degraded. Further, your constant plugging of BMW and insulting of Mercedes, in a Mercedes forum, are flamebait, nothing more.

Originally Posted by pig face
For someone that claims to drive an old CLK55 to talk crap makes no sense what so ever.
Oh, so because I don't go out and drop thousands into a new depreciating asset every couple of years disqualifies me from the discussion about your constant, worthless trolling? So in addition to being an arrogant, know-nothing fat slob, you're also a clueless swinebreath. Get real, fat man...I can write whatever I want, whenever I want, about your constant pig****. Whether or not I choose to trade up my car every couple of years is irrelevant, i.e. in custom with most of your boring, idiotic rants.

Originally Posted by nauseous piece of pig poop
I am being more than objective here.
Yes, as anyone who read your objective declaration that the new M5 is the greatest four door sedan in the history of manknd can read.

Originally Posted by hypocritical pile of swineflesh
Point out where E55 shines in terms of vehicl dynamics, steering response, and overall fun.
People do this, every day, in this forum. And you constantly attack them for it. Again, this is a subjective opinion. Can you empirically establish that the M5 is better than the E55 in any of these categories? No, you cannot, because they are subjective. You are a fool's fool, fat man.

Originally Posted by porker who can take a shower without getting his feet wet
A sport sedan not only needs to have a good straight line performance. But excellent handling capability is also a must. This is something that is utterly lacking in the E55.
Yes, obviously...any four door sedan tested at a 1'18" lap around hockenheim's circuit, which is FYI one second slower than the 1,000 pound lighter M3, obviously has no handling ability whatsoever. A bread truck could do this. More ignorant, stupid flamebait, nothing more.

Originally Posted by rotting carcass of hog
Guys like you are annoying pieces of **** who contribute nothing and get their rocks off being annoying azzholes.

Last edited by Improviz; 10-30-2005 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Hit the nail on the head....

Old 10-30-2005, 02:44 PM
Banned

w210 E55

Three gripes thus far.

1. Lack of low end puch in P400 mode. Under 3,000 RPM in P400 mode M5's output is really mediocre at best. But above that, this engine really cooks, sound nice too.

2. Lack of trunk closer option. This is one option that i really missed. I loved this on the E55 and BMW to me dropped the ball on this.

3. Small gas tank. M5 is a thirsty beast. Even at constant 80mph cruise back from oregon. The gas mileage is in the low 14 (far worse than my E55). Couple with small tank, i can barely get 200 miles on the tank before the reserve fuel waring pops up. At highway cruise, there is no way you can get 300 miles from a single tank. Which means you have to constantly stop for gas!!!!

Other than these three issues, the M5 outshines E55 in everything else.

M5 steering response is far more linear than E55. In addition, this thing love corners and grips is far superior than E55.

SMGIII is vastly improved than SMGII. A lot of jerkiness in the SMGII has been removed in SMGIII. Moreover, I complained very hard on the SMGII delay in down****ing more than 2 gears at once, this has been dramatically reduced in SMGIII. In fact during the trip back from oregon i can easily downshift from 7th to 4th and SMGIII would oblige very quickly. Overall, i think SMGIII has spell the death of true manual. SMGIII is that good. It made SMGII looks like 1000 year old design.

I-drve+voice command is now by far the best interface on the market. I have stated from beginning that I prefered I-drive over command. Because once you get used to the menus, its very easy to use and you don't even need to take your eyes off the road. This is still true. However, BMW's voice recognition has come a long way. In fact for daily use, you don't even need to use the I-drive knob any more.

3. Dial.

Viola you just made 1st phone call using 3 verbal command. No need the use of i-drive knob, no key pad. I-drive and voice recognition really trumps command and japanese interface. Whoever designed BMW voice recognition deserve a nobel prize. It is that good. The recognition capability is by far the best out there. Better than Lexus/Fujustu voice recognition.

The new M5 handles very similar to the M3. It very nimble and as a driver you never feel the weight of M5's mass. My wife took a quick lap after i got home and commented that M5 feels lighter and much more nimble than the E55.

Also during my 635 drive back, with EDC at softest setting. M5 rides just as good as E55 on the highway. I was not expecting that M5 would be a great long distance cruiser. But i was so wrong on that. M5 at P400 mode and EDC at softest setting, really peformed just as well as E55 as highway cruiser.

Overall, M5 is too far ahead of E55. It can be as gental as E55 as daily cruiser and changes couple setting, you have a track car ready. I can't wait until my 1200 miles break in is done. That 500 HP with MDM transform an already capable car to the next level.

This is what a true sportsedan should be. The new M5 totally outclassed E55. I don't care what other E55 owners says. The M5 is just as good as E55 as highway cruiser. M5 has way better dynamics than E55. Now the I-drive/voice recognition is light year ahead of command. For $94k, this is the best sports sedan that money can buy right now. E55 will always have advantage in low end punch and ease of mod for straightline performance. But everything else, M5 is simply in a class of its own.

Now comes mandatory picture that i took today while at rest stop at redding this afternoon.

Lets see here...........we have POPEYE'S CHICKEN there......ooohh......PIZZA HUT.....is that a ICE CREAM shop behind the car?......................Now that is a perfect place for KRISPYKRME to stop and FILL UP!
Old 10-30-2005, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Received 519 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Krispy, no ego at play here. I will be the first to admit that the E55 is not superior in all categories. I can accept the fact that the M5 (like any BMW) has a better dynamic character than the E55. But your comments suggesting that the E55 is an inferior product compared to the M5 are just foolish.

Oh!!!! and how is this for an ego:
2006 M5- pickup 10/29/05
2006 M45 Sport del 5/7/05
2004 Sienna XLE Limited upgrade Solara navi.
2004 E55 del 10/31/03
2004 G55 del 1/10/04
2004 CLK 320 Cabrio del 1/31/04- For sale. To be replaced by 330i ED TBD,

Old 10-30-2005, 03:39 PM

Krispy,
Unfortunately THIS time I am going to have to side with the others, as well. Having owned both an M and an AMG, I would like to think I am level headed when it comes to the values and criticisms of both cars. Your post really talks merits and merits and merits about the M5 with an inflammatory comparison to the E55. IMO, this post is more appropriate in M5board.com

You really have not presented a detailed, quallitative analysis of the M5 as compared to the E55. Statements like "the M5 totally outclassed the E55" are not informative and are going to start flames.

I, for one, can think of at least THREE things that the AMG has got the new M beat. LET"S START WITH THE LOOKS!

I am looking forward to DerekFSUs comparison
Old 10-30-2005, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Originally Posted by a bloated donut swiller
Hit the nail on the head....
No, actually, it missed the nail by a country mile. Ego has nothing to do with it; this is a question of basic human decency and manners. Lardass's posts are nothing more rude, boring rants, which, when challenged, are followed up by more rude, boring rants about the people who dare to question the boring rants.

It's like going into someone's house, repeatedly, and telling them "your house sucks, my house is better", then insulting them personally if they complain about it. It is childish, trite, petty, vile behavior from a person who has the *real* ego problem here: some people can only make themselves feel good about themselves and their posessions by putting others and their possessions down, and fatso fits this description to a tee.

You could summarize his posts here with the following mini-rant:

Originally Posted by annoying fat whiner
My E55 is a piece of ****, and so is yours. I hate Mercedes. Mercedes sucks. I can't wait until my new BMW gets here. My new BMW will be the greatest car ever designed in the history of man, and if you disagree with me, you're a moron with no education. Not only that, but you're ugly and your mommy dresses you funny. And oh, btw: you're biased about your Mercedes for actually liking them and defending them from the childish rants of a corpulant moron, but I am not in any way, shape, or form biased about BMW despite my declaring it to be a far better car than yours and the best four door sedan on the planet.

Further, I maintain that my insults against Mercedes and their owners shall not constiture Mercedes-bashing, but if any of you say or do anything other than showering BMW with complements or post any data which I do not like, then you shall be found guilty by me, the Grand Poobah of the Royal Jelly Order of Lardiness, of BMW-bashing, and shall be subjected to merciless taunts from His Royal Lardness, namely me.

I also decree that any data or opinions which do not support my views shall be deemed false by my Royal fiat, and anyone who posts such data shall be subjected to a Royal Turding.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go gorge myself with donuts so that I can clog my arteries further, so that I can kill off the final few functional synapses in my cholesterol-soaked tiny brain. This will enable me to write ever stupid posts, until I finally either keel over or explode.

Last edited by Improviz; 10-30-2005 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by amgdriven
Lets see here...........we have POPEYE'S CHICKEN there......ooohh......PIZZA HUT.....is that a ICE CREAM shop behind the car?......................Now that is a perfect place for KRISPYKRME to stop and FILL UP!
Yeah...hope that thing has a sturdy frame!! They do have runflats, don't they??

"I'd waddle a mile for my M!!! And for donuts, pastries, cake, cookies..."

Last edited by Improviz; 10-30-2005 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
If I let people see me driving in that eyesore, I wouldn't want to live another day

Let's get real. I live in the northeast, the traffic is terrible, the roads are narrow. Do I get to go WOT every day? Hardly! So, why would I need to buy a track car that has a coffin strapped to the back of the trunk? I don't need to. Simple as that.

Krispy, enjoy your car, but don't try to justify the looks, please. You know better than anyone else.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 635 mile trip in my M5