Will 275/35/18's fit in the rear?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Will 275/35/18's fit in the rear?

I just purchased some new tires for my E55 AMG: Toyo T1-Rs. The front I am keeping the same as stock: 245/40/18, however for the rear I am putting on 275/35/18s. Stock these cars come with 265/13/18 in the rear, which I have been told does not match with the front tires. I also believe that the 275s should hook up better? Anyone have any experience with this? Do 275's fit on stock rims, and will they hook up better.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by MB_Steve
I just purchased some new tires for my E55 AMG: Toyo T1-Rs. The front I am keeping the same as stock: 245/40/18, however for the rear I am putting on 275/35/18s. Stock these cars come with 265/13/18 in the rear, which I have been told does not match with the front tires. I also believe that the 275s should hook up better? Anyone have any experience with this? Do 275's fit on stock rims, and will they hook up better.
Yes they will fit and almost everyone here has done it.

Will they hook up better? Yes, if you buy PS2's, no they won't if you buy TOYOs...
Old 02-04-2006, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Rafal

Will they hook up better? Yes, if you buy PS2's, no they won't if you buy TOYOs...
Thanks. It seems everyone in this forum (at least nearly everyone) is a huge fan of PS2's. From what I have read it seems both are great tires, but given that there is soo much hype surrounding them, I am concerned they might be overrated. Have you tried the Toyo RA-1s. From what I have read there isn't a stickier tire out there. The only problem is that it is a drag radial made for stree use and thus has a very soft compound. I believe the Toyo T1-Rs are a much better improvement over the T1-Ss. We shall see.....
Old 02-04-2006, 09:17 AM

07 S65

Another person that knows nothing. I have the Toyo RA1's and they hook better than the over-hyped PS2's. It's not even close. Also, I wouldn't listen to anyone that has 19's or above about hooking up. They know nothing about it obviously or they would have went that big.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Can anyone comment on their experiences with how each of these tires perform after a number of heat cycles? Do they get hard? Do they need lots of energy to heat them up? Are they pretty stable throughout the temp cycle? That kind of stuff.
One more thing. For those of us that actually like to throw these cars around, what is "best" front tire size? Does going a size up and dropping profile a set help? Does it give the car a little less oversteer? Or does it just make the front end sloppy? What if i got a set of the rear rims and put them on the front? Could i run 265 in the front and 275 in the rear?
Thanks.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Originally Posted by DJe55
Another person that knows nothing. I have the Toyo RA1's and they hook better than the over-hyped PS2's. It's not even close. Also, I wouldn't listen to anyone that has 19's or above about hooking up. They know nothing about it obviously or they would have went that big.
I have always been a fan of toyos..but wasnt sure how it could handle thismuch power.

How are the RA1's in the rain?
I personally have mixed feelings on the ps2. quieter than the conti's, hook up was marginally better, but wear was the same.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
...........I have Toyo T1R currently on my E55 S7, the traction is very poor in my opinion. I am not sure anything short of drag radials will provide satisfactory traction in this HP range. Problem is if you have 19 inch wheels, you have sized yourself out of drag radials.

Ted
Old 02-04-2006, 12:54 PM

2014 Mercedes E63
What's wrong with Tirerack?

They don't have any Toyo 275/35/18s? Strange!
Old 02-04-2006, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
...........I have Toyo T1R currently on my E55 S7, the traction is very poor in my opinion. I am not sure anything short of drag radials will provide satisfactory traction in this HP range. Problem is if you have 19 inch wheels, you have sized yourself out of drag radials.

Ted
Ted,
Are your Toyo T1rs better than the Contis. I just ordered a pair. Ugh. Was talked out of the Ra1s since they are a drag radial. (always stick with your first choice.) Toyo T1s seemed like a nicr compromise. From what you are saying though, sounds like they aren't.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:07 PM

07 S65
Ted,
Are your Toyo T1rs better than the Contis. I just ordered a pair. Ugh. Was talked out of the Ra1s since they are a drag radial. (always stick with your first choice.) Toyo T1s seemed like a nicr compromise. From what you are saying though, sounds like they aren't.
The RA1's are not a drag radial. They are R compund tires but with a stiff side wall. These or the Michilin Cup tires are the only way to go with these cars on the street. You can drive on them everyday and not have to worry about it. They are ok in the rain, not great but not terrible. Not sure how the R1's compare but the RA1's are the sh*t.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
The RA1's are not a drag radial. They are R compund tires but with a stiff side wall. These or the Michilin Cup tires are the only way to go with these cars on the street. You can drive on them everyday and not have to worry about it. They are ok in the rain, not great but not terrible. Not sure how the R1's compare but the RA1's are the sh*t.
Have you had any problem with them cracking. The dealer that I was going to buy them from told me thath they could crack if the temperature fell below 40 degrees.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:48 PM
ON PROBATION

....or the Michilin Cup tires are the only way to go with these cars on the street. You can drive on them everyday and not have to worry about it. They are ok in the rain, not great but not terrible....
I use the Michelin Cup's as a track tire on several of my cars. I would NEVER use them as my day-to-day street tire -- that's just plain nuts, and asking for some trouble...and some serious hurt , somewhere down the road, IMO....
Old 02-04-2006, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We were talking about his 18" not my 19". There is a big difference between not knowing EVERYRYTHING and knowing NOTHING.
I have several sets of wheels, and yes, you are correct, the 19" are not my pick when I go to the drags. As far as being knowledgeable about tires, there is no hype here and 90% of E55 owners can't be wrong, PS2 is the best overall Max Performance summer tire today, by a long shot.
If one wants a proper drag racing tire, on should look for a MT or BF DR and a 16" rear wheel to start with!
These DR's are not so great at taking corners in wet weather (or dry for that matter)

Last edited by Rafal; 02-04-2006 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:57 PM

07 S65
We were talking about his 18" not my 19". There is a big difference between not knowing EVERYRYTHING and knowing NOTHING.
I have several sets of wheels, and yes, you are correct, the 19" are not my pick when I go to the drags. As far as being knowledgeable about tires, there is no hype here and 90% of E55 owners can't be wrong, PS2 is the best overall Max Performance summer tire today, by a long shot.
If one wants a proper drag racing tire, on should look for a MT or BF DR and a 16" rear wheel to start with!
These DR's are not so great at taking corners in wet weather (or dry for that matter)
You don't know what you're talking about so stop making yourself look stupid. I've had both the PS2's and Toyo RA1's and it's not even close. The RA1 is NOT a drag radial. It's a stiff sidewall tire made for road racing and street driving. 90% of the work force in this country are slackers, do you follow that trend too??? Out of the 90% of the guys that are on this site running PS2's, how many do you think really play with their cars? How many know what their doing when they are playing? How many really take them to the track? When you break down the people on this site to the hardcore car guys, we're probably less than 10%. So follow the 90%, that just makes us guys in the other catagory look that much better. What's the best 60' you've had with you PS2's? I've had a 1.67 with my Toyo's. I bet you don't have better!
Old 02-04-2006, 09:00 PM

07 S65
Have you had any problem with them cracking. The dealer that I was going to buy them from told me thath they could crack if the temperature fell below 40 degrees.
I'm on my second set and haven't had a problem. It's been a light winter over here though so who knows. The temps have been below freezing but not everday. I can't imagine them cracking? I'll keep you posted they do.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Never tried Toyos, but just LOVE my PS2's.

Literally 100% difference from Conti's from hell.

I don't think you would be bummed with PS2's, but maybe they are not as good as Toyos. You would be happy with PS2's believe me.

PS....

Good enough for a $1,000,000 Bugatti (The fastest car Top Gear has ever tested) .......good enough for us schmoos.
Attached Thumbnails Will 275/35/18's fit in the rear?-122220051130486758.jpg  
Old 02-05-2006, 04:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You don't know what you're talking about so stop making yourself look stupid. I've had both the PS2's and Toyo RA1's and it's not even close. The RA1 is NOT a drag radial. It's a stiff sidewall tire made for road racing and street driving. 90% of the work force in this country are slackers, do you follow that trend too??? Out of the 90% of the guys that are on this site running PS2's, how many do you think really play with their cars? How many know what their doing when they are playing? How many really take them to the track? When you break down the people on this site to the hardcore car guys, we're probably less than 10%. So follow the 90%, that just makes us guys in the other catagory look that much better. What's the best 60' you've had with you PS2's? I've had a 1.67 with my Toyo's. I bet you don't have better!
Oi, back off buster, lighten up! Your car is modified, K1 +Evo Headers, because if it was stock than you would do 60' in 1.67sec off a vertical cliff, maybe And you don't need any tires for that, just a parachute...
I don't call driving in a straight line for 1/4 mile "going to the track"- it's like
"traffic light Grand Prix... with a timer". I never said that the Toyo's were DR's, so maybe your English is a little sus? I do take my car to a "real track", one with 120mph bends and 140 mph straights, that requires a bit more skill than a strong right foot that you are so proud of
And no, I don't use PS2's on circuit, but Dunlop DZ02G, which are semi slick with an R-compound. No tire will do everything for you. If you read my post, written in clear English, I said: "best overall Max Performance summer tire" not best street racing, drag racing or Space Shuttle tire!

Last edited by Rafal; 02-05-2006 at 04:42 AM.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:47 AM
ON PROBATION

HAHAHAHA!

You guys and the PS2's....

I've got dozens of cars - expensive ones. I go to the track - often. I am sure that I have at least 8 different makes and models of tire across the entire bunch of cars.

Every car that I can fit a PS2 on has PS2's on it - from the $46,000 car to the $2,800,000 car.

And I can afford to buy any tires that exist in the world.... What does that tell you?
Old 02-05-2006, 10:08 AM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Originally Posted by Jakpro1

Good enough for a $1,000,000 Bugatti (The fastest car Top Gear has ever tested)
You mean just like someone else looking at the E55 should think , hey the 469 hp beast comes with these Contis...THEY MUST BE GOOD! Right? lol

We all know the PS2's are a good all around tire, and very much better than what the car came with stock..thats why most are satisfied with them. I would just like to believe there is something better out there...and will keep looking.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by ClayJ
HAHAHAHA!
.............................Every car that I can fit a PS2 on has PS2's on it - from the $46,000 car to the $2,800,000 car.

And I can afford to buy any tires that exist in the world.... What does that tell you?
It tells me that you own Michelin Tire Company and you are the chief engineer who designed the PS2s. Ah ha, I figured it out. Cover blown. Time to duck and hide.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:47 AM
ON PROBATION

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Better go throw a fresh set of PS2's on the Bugatti and get the frap out of Dodge!

Old 02-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by ClayJ
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Better go throw a fresh set of PS2's on the Bugatti and get the frap out of Dodge!

Better hurry, there is a beast 1,156 car lengths behind and gaining.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:08 AM

07 S65
Oi, back off buster, lighten up! Your car is modified, K1 +Evo Headers, because if it was stock than you would do 60' in 1.67sec off a vertical cliff, maybe And you don't need any tires for that, just a parachute...
I don't call driving in a straight line for 1/4 mile "going to the track"- it's like
"traffic light Grand Prix... with a timer". I never said that the Toyo's were DR's, so maybe your English is a little sus? I do take my car to a "real track", one with 120mph bends and 140 mph straights, that requires a bit more skill than a strong right foot that you are so proud of
And no, I don't use PS2's on circuit, but Dunlop DZ02G, which are semi slick with an R-compound. No tire will do everything for you. If you read my post, written in clear English, I said: "best overall Max Performance summer tire" not best street racing, drag racing or Space Shuttle tire!
Again! You just keep making yourself look like an idiot! I tried to help you out. Look at my signature. My best 60' was when the car was stock, not modded. I have a little harder time hooking up with the extra power. The RA1's are made specifically for max performance not just straight line performance. It's a autox touring tire. It will out perform the PS2 in almost every catagory. You said the PS2 is the "best overall Max Performance summer tire". What or where does it outperform the RA1's???? In wet weather!!!! That's it. Do some research "BUSTER". The PS2's are not the "best overall Max Performance summer tire". If you were so into taking your car to autox events then you would know, the PS2 is no comparison for the RA1's. If you have owned them both (which I have) you would know. Stop talking and comparing stuff that you haven't used or know nothing about. If you haven't owned both sets of tires how can you compare.

Last edited by DJE55; 02-05-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Ted,
...........Mine is a W210 E55 S7, so it did not come with conti's and I have no experience with conti's. It came with Khimo's and in my poinion again, the Khumo's offer better traction. Of course there are other issues such as breaking, wet traction and conering which I have not vigorously tested, but as far as dry traction is concerned, the T1R's always break loose.

Ted
Old 02-05-2006, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Again! You just keep making yourself look like an idiot! .
This conversation is over, since you have to continually resort to calling names like a retard lacking education and adequate vocabulary to explain himself. Read the Tire Rack survey and tell me where the Toyos sit in relation to the PS2? Not only on the track, where even you would not spend more than 0.5% of your time, but in real life , everyday performance, including driving it like you stole it, up and down freeway ramps..... Cheers
PS. How can a person with such limited intelligence afford a car like E55?
Did your parents buy it for you to play with when you graduated from high school?
PPS. Just read your signature, there is absolutely no mention of your fastest times being achieved without mods. Your mods are clearly listed, though.
Education is a wonderful thing, much better than testosterone driven verbal aggression!
Last, but not least, Toyos are for boy-racers, real men use Dunlops
Attached Thumbnails Will 275/35/18's fit in the rear?-dunlop-dz02g-reduced.jpg  

Last edited by Rafal; 02-05-2006 at 10:44 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Will 275/35/18's fit in the rear?