W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Custom exhaust install...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2006 | 07:03 PM

w211 E55
Custom exhaust install...

I was originally going to go with the Eisenmann sport exhaust system, but have decided to have a custom exhaust system made for cost reasons. I would like a deep mellow idle with a nice but not obnoxious WOT sound. Essentially a little more than stock. I can choose between Borla and Magnaflow mufflers. I am planning on replacing only the back two mufflers. I have decided to leave the resonator in place, thinking it will save some of the stock system from being cut out, and keep the decibals down? My fabricator is very good, but I was wondering what everyone thought. Is it worth spending the thousands of dollars on a bolt on system? I know some of you have a custom system, could you please post pics and impressions, so I have a better idea of what I'm getting into.
Thank you all
Old 03-25-2006 | 08:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I can tell you that I have heard and seen the Eisenmann on a number of cars and it is worth the $$. If all you want is a Nascar type noise, then go custom. If you want a tuned sound, then be more careful. Not to say that a custom system can't get it done, just that it has to be matched up properly. Also, I assume you only care about sound, right? If you are looking for performance (i.e. planning on openning the breathing), then definitely consider a tuned system. You won't notice as huge of a difference, until you modify the INTAKE side as that is where our cars are lagging.
Old 03-25-2006 | 04:22 PM

w211 E55
Yes my main interest at this point is to just improve the sound.
Has anyone had any success with just removing the resonator? Those who have removed the resonator on a stock sytem, how would you describe the sound?
Old 03-25-2006 | 05:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
That is what i did on the '05 and will be doing it again, soon. It costs less than $100 and I like it. The noise difference is very slight, but I like it. I also had the X pipes replaced with straight pies all the way, so the car made a thud thud sound at low RPMs. I like the old caddy sound, but you may want it to be more monotone.
Old 03-25-2006 | 08:21 PM

w211 E55
So removing the resonator made the sound a little louder? Or changed the tone? A little more raspy maybe? My thinking is that AMG added the resonator to tune the sound not make it quieter?
Thanks again
Old 03-25-2006 | 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by Fly Low
Yes my main interest at this point is to just improve the sound.
Has anyone had any success with just removing the resonator? Those who have removed the resonator on a stock sytem, how would you describe the sound?
...............I have some experience with this, but not in a W211. Removing the resonator and using the stock exhaust will result in louder exhaust sound, perharps what you are looking for. Removing the resonator and going with generic exhaust like flow master needs to be done with caution. You can develop a rather loud and annoying drone at low RPM. The loudness of the drone apparently varies from car to car but it is nonetheless present and is quite annoying.

Ted
Old 03-25-2006 | 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It doesn't necessarily make the car louder, but it gives the exhaust a deeper note. Its not much raspier either, but its more of a smooth, low, rumble. Its almost like the difference is subconscious - it is verrrry slight, but in the long run it really does make a pretty significant difference. It also seems to get deeper over time which is something I still can't figure out (maybe the ecu adjusting to the new drop in backpressure??). Maybe I just notice it more . Go for it, its a good mod.
Old 03-25-2006 | 11:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
So removing the resonator made the sound a little louder? Or changed the tone? A little more raspy maybe? My thinking is that AMG added the resonator to tune the sound not make it quieter?
Thanks again

I agree with the other comments. AMG did NOT add it to tune the sound. No way. Resonators are common on ALL V8 MBs, not an AMG item. It does not "tune" the sound. It simply takes the low RPM drone away. With them removed, the exhaust is just a little deeper, especially on the inside of the car. I personally like the sound, but some don't. The X pipe is there to serve the same purpose, but its job is to "buffer" the drones as one bank of cylinders hits then the other. Again, it mainly works under low RPMs. At WOT, very little difference comes from the resonators or the X pipes.

I have heard many cars with either the muffler removed, or an aftermarket muffler (not tuned exhaust), and the resonators do not tame the sound much. Don't forget that they are straight open pipes with buffer zones. At WOT, the air just blasts through them. Mufflers are different.
Old 03-25-2006 | 11:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Eleanor Owner
It doesn't necessarily make the car louder, but it gives the exhaust a deeper note. Its not much raspier either, but its more of a smooth, low, rumble. Its almost like the difference is subconscious - it is verrrry slight, but in the long run it really does make a pretty significant difference. It also seems to get deeper over time which is something I still can't figure out (maybe the ecu adjusting to the new drop in backpressure??). Maybe I just notice it more . Go for it, its a good mod.

Thge resonators don't add much, if any back pressure sinc they are straight through. They do cause turbulence, which could give BP but that would also be minimal.

Something else that effects the interior noise is where the tips are set. The noise will tend to resonate in the car more, if the tips are not sticking out from the bumper.
Old 03-26-2006 | 02:34 PM

w211 E55
Hmm removing the resonator could be what I'm looking for. A deeper idle and slightly louder low RPM. So removing just the resonator will not give me an annoying drone?
Thank you all for the help
Old 03-26-2006 | 03:32 PM
Almost a Member!

Hmm removing the resonator could be what I'm looking for. A deeper idle and slightly louder low RPM. So removing just the resonator will not give me an annoying drone?
Thank you all for the help
I have a brabus exhaust and an x pipe that i hade Burns stainless make for me and i think its exactly the sound you are looking for... To me the eisenmann was a bit to loud for a four door. You are more than welcome to listen to it some time, I am in O.C.
Old 03-26-2006 | 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by jangy
I agree with the other comments. AMG did NOT add it to tune the sound. No way. Resonators are common on ALL V8 MBs, not an AMG item. It does not "tune" the sound. It simply takes the low RPM drone away. With them removed, the exhaust is just a little deeper, especially on the inside of the car. I personally like the sound, but some don't. The X pipe is there to serve the same purpose, but its job is to "buffer" the drones as one bank of cylinders hits then the other. Again, it mainly works under low RPMs. At WOT, very little difference comes from the resonators or the X pipes.

I have heard many cars with either the muffler removed, or an aftermarket muffler (not tuned exhaust), and the resonators do not tame the sound much. Don't forget that they are straight open pipes with buffer zones. At WOT, the air just blasts through them. Mufflers are different.
This post is laced with misinformation. You would be advised to research the topics of sound attenuation in general and resonators specifically before posting. The sole purpose of a resonator is to tune the sound. It does this by attenuating specific frequencies either through absorption or cancellation . Since resonators are usually sized to remove higher frequencies, removing them will not make the system sound deeper - it will have the opposite effect. Louder is not the same as deeper. It has no virtually effect on the so-called drone, which is the resonant frequency of the engine/exhaust system, unless the resonator is targeted to attenuate that frequency. Although an X-pipe will affect the sound of an exhaust system, its principal function is to equalize the pressure pulses between the exhaust banks of a v-engine. Sound waves travel at 3-4 times the velocity of exhaust gasses, so resonators will effectively attenuate their target frequencies independent of engine speed.
Old 03-27-2006 | 02:59 AM
Super Moderator

W221
Most of the socal guys can vouch for my exhaust. I had the resonators taken out and I also but the borla race mufflers in. Closest description I could put on it is that it sounds like a mustang with an exhaust. deep and throaty...

Last edited by BenzoBoi; 03-27-2006 at 03:02 AM.
Old 03-27-2006 | 03:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Sound is nice but diff exhaust set up...which is not tuned in...Can cause loss on back pressure, which then can cause loss of POWER...

Those who removed their Mufflers...NOCTICED any difference ???