Sponsored by:

Random beeping noises from cabin?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 05:38 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Random beeping noises from cabin?

In the past two weeks, when I'm driving around town, I've heard some strange beeping noises coming from the dash somewhere. I have no idea what's causing it. It just beeps randomly. I have an MY06 E55, with just about all the bells and whistles except for the phone and satellite radio. Most of the time my radio is put on mute, because I prefer to listen to the car. I thought it might be the Parktronic, but that feature disengages above 10 mph. Any thoughts??
Old 04-21-2006, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 G550. 2018 AMG GT roadster
Beeping

Originally Posted by saveur
In the past two weeks, when I'm driving around town, I've heard some strange beeping noises coming from the dash somewhere. I have no idea what's causing it. It just beeps randomly. I have an MY06 E55, with just about all the bells and whistles except for the phone and satellite radio. Most of the time my radio is put on mute, because I prefer to listen to the car. I thought it might be the Parktronic, but that feature disengages above 10 mph. Any thoughts??
Do you have Distronic? If the distance warning feature is on, it will beep when other cars are within the distance limit.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sold
Ya, I get some pretty random sounds in the cabin too. Have no idea what they are. My favorite one is the one that sounds like an orc war horn. That ones loud. Had a beeping alarm once too while getting on the freeway.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Almost a Member!

Actually, no, I don't have the Distronic. It sounds very odd too. Like something is running out of batteries, giving off a goofy half-assed beep!
Old 04-21-2006, 05:53 PM
Almost a Member!

E55 AMG
MAYBE ITS YOUR SEATBELT INDICATOR
Old 04-21-2006, 07:03 PM

BMW M6
Originally Posted by MCHE55
MAYBE ITS YOUR SEATBELT INDICATOR

most definitely, i hate that annoying feature. mine thinks someone is in the passenger seat when i put a cd case on it...beep beep F*ck!
Old 04-21-2006, 09:20 PM

Sold
Nope, not that either, and since you mentioned tht it sounds like something running out of batteries, mine sounds like that too. Like the beep tapers off and changes pitch as if the battery dies.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:49 AM

2012 C63 Black Series Coupe
Originally Posted by Akara1
Ya, I get some pretty random sounds in the cabin too. Have no idea what they are. My favorite one is the one that sounds like an orc war horn. That ones loud. Had a beeping alarm once too while getting on the freeway.
I know exactly the noise you are describing. Initially I thought it was something connected to the Airmatic compressor. According to Steve @ MBNL (and I'm going from memory here, but I think this is correct) it's the system for the Dynamic Seats. The first time it happened in nearly scared me sh*tless, as I was tearing around a long sweeper that proceeds a notorious local speedtrap at a pretty high rate of speed (relative to the speed limit). I initially thought it was my V1 going off, and kicked the brakes pretty hard...

Here's my original post; it was a few months later that I was getting some goodies installed by Steve, and I happened to mention it to him...
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/114952-help-strange-noise-my-e55.html
Old 04-22-2006, 08:47 AM

War horn sound

Has anybody been able to determine the cause of this? I've thought it was the phone service going into/out of coverage areas, navigation satellites losing contact (the car isn't THAT fast, is it?) I've experienced the "horn" sound on straight open freeways, and I've experienced it on curvy, tree lined backcountry roads. And yes, every time I hear it, it scares the hell out of me. I have called the "I button" group at Mercedes and they were of no help. I'm stumped.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
OK I'm new here and still soaking up a lot of E 55 info. This may sound stupid and not apply BUT...my daily driver is a simple Explorer with rear a/c..when running the rear air there is a really weird almost bell like sound...sounds more like the battery dying thing...it is associated with the air dampers opening and closing back there...it scared the crap out of me first time I heard it..I am new to MB but this description you guys are giving sounds dead on with what my sound is and therefore may be something in the HVAC setup...its a very strange sound. I haven't bothered to bring it back to F@#$ to try and locate the sound.That would be an excersize in futility.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by OPEC
Has anybody been able to determine the cause of this?...And yes, every time I hear it, it scares the hell out of me...
If you haven't already see above. Since we both have E55 wagons, I'm guessing you have exactly the same sound I experienced. You could email Steve at MBNL to confirm this, but I'm almost positive he said it was caused by the Dynamic seat system.

As I recall, he had my wagon apart and there was a tank on the left rear side of the cargo compartment. I saw that and thought it was a reservoir for Airmatic, and he said it connected to the Dynamic seats. When I described the sound I'd heard, he mentioned that he knew exactly what I was talking about -- and that it was caused by this system.

Wish I could be slightly more definitive, but that was awhile ago...
Old 04-22-2006, 11:28 PM

2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Originally Posted by brt3
I know exactly the noise you are describing. Initially I thought it was something connected to the Airmatic compressor. According to Steve @ MBNL (and I'm going from memory here, but I think this is correct) it's the system for the Dynamic Seats. The first time it happened in nearly scared me sh*tless, as I was tearing around a long sweeper that proceeds a notorious local speedtrap at a pretty high rate of speed (relative to the speed limit). I initially thought it was my V1 going off, and kicked the brakes pretty hard...
hilarious; i had the exact same experience. it's now infrequent enough that when it happens, especially late at night, i still jump out of my seat. those benz guys thought of everything... including putting a "whoopee cushion" in the passenger seat!
Old 04-23-2006, 04:36 AM

Sold
Lol, happened again tonight. Scared the crap out of me.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by vixapphire
hilarious; i had the exact same experience. it's now infrequent enough that when it happens, especially late at night, i still jump out of my seat. those benz guys thought of everything... including putting a "whoopee cushion" in the passenger seat!
Now that you mention it, it really does sound like computerized flatulence...
Old 04-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Almost a Member!

Now I'm getting some more strange noises coming from the front of the car. I'm assuming it's the brakes? It sounds like a cross between a beep and a squeak, and only happens when I gradually let off the brake and get on the gas. Happens almost everytime now at stoplights. This is starting to get on my nerves. I'm glad the car has a warranty!
Old 06-26-2006, 03:54 AM

Question solution?

Lol, happened again tonight. Scared the crap out of me.
Has anyone had this problem solved. I have the same issue with my '06 Wagon?
Old 06-26-2006, 10:37 AM
pas

2007 S65, 2005 Nissan Armada
Nope, not that either, and since you mentioned tht it sounds like something running out of batteries, mine sounds like that too. Like the beep tapers off and changes pitch as if the battery dies.
I have the exact same noise 05 E55 and haven't been able to figure it out (haven't really tried) on my car it only happens once in a while. I thought I did something to cause it I took the whole rear dash apart and removed some eletronics associated with the rear belts and after I put everything back together is when I first heard the noise. Scared the crap out of me too.

I just went to the dealer and forgot to ask them about it. I guess the only was to explain to them would be to have a little tape recorder going all the time and be able to play it back for them.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:49 AM

CLS55
BRT3 said it twice above, it is the dynamic seats. my car does the same thing.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:14 PM

agreed

I definitely agree...it is coming from an area consistent with and sounds very much like an air bladder decompressing so the DYNAMIC SEATS IS THE LOCATION OF THE PROBLEM....my question remains....has anyone SOLVED this problem? My car is going in for its first service (and to address the recall) later this week and I don't want the dealer tearing the car up looking for it if someone already has identified a reliable solution.

Thanks;
Old 06-27-2006, 06:03 AM

05 E55, R33 GTR, R33 GTS-t
does the sound occur even if dynamic seats are left off?
Old 06-27-2006, 11:12 AM

not sure

Originally Posted by sly55
does the sound occur even if dynamic seats are left off?
Not sure, because mine are always on and the noise is so intermittent that I'm afraid if I turned them off today that just because the noise did not occur between now and Thursday (when I take it in), won't necessarily mean that the problem is sol-ved.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone ever figure out a solution to the beep issue? I've heard on my car 2005 S55. It sounds like pressing a keypad on the phone. I did not press any button. Distronic is off and the car was moving at 25mph.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
This 'beep' issue is definitely relate to drive dynamic seat. I've noticed that it's on only when drive dynamic seat is on. If you use massage feature at the same time, the beep will come sooner. This is an indication that the pump is working too hard, I believe. A work around for me is to turn off the drive dynamic seat. The noise never come back. Dealers can't 'duplicate' this issue and I don't want their mechanic to take my car home to try to duplicate this issue.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Originally Posted by traumadoc
Do you have Distronic? If the distance warning feature is on, it will beep when other cars are within the distance limit.
I know what you mean. I accidently turned it on when I meant to turn of the parktronic one day and it took me 3 days to figure out why the car was beeping ALL the time. I guess it didn't like how fast I was approaching slow moving traffic. Cool feature though for those that have Distronic and foget to use the brakes.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by jd986s
This 'beep' issue is definitely relate to drive dynamic seat. I've noticed that it's on only when drive dynamic seat is on. If you use massage feature at the same time, the beep will come sooner. This is an indication that the pump is working too hard, I believe. A work around for me is to turn off the drive dynamic seat. The noise never come back. Dealers can't 'duplicate' this issue and I don't want their mechanic to take my car home to try to duplicate this issue.
I had the same thing on my 2006 S65 like once every two weeks. I think it was the V60s phone cradle. It would happen whether or not the phone was in. Since I switched to the Bluetooth puck a year ago, nary a peep.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Random beeping noises from cabin?