Had my re-flash done and.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 06:19 PM

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
2020 G550
Had my re-flash done and.....

Funny actually.
Service manager called me and said "we need to reflash your ECU and I need to know if you have any upgraded software because it will overwrite" I told him no since I don't but felt like he was fishing to tag my car as modified in their computer

Results
A little ruff idle and a few quirky engine RPM changes at first but overall car actually feels as good or better than before. Seems to have a bit more TQ off idle???maybe?
Old 07-26-2006, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 S65, '04 Range Rover(The House), '06 Lexus GS 300(Wifey's), '02 Sea Ray 360 Sundancer
Is it me or has anyone else experienced crappy gas mileage since the recall???????????????????????????????
Old 07-26-2006, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Originally Posted by ENDSMTG
Is it me or has anyone else experienced crappy gas mileage since the recall???????????????????????????????
Mine gets much worse mileage in town and better on the road. I got 13.6 mpg today to work and back. But got 19.9 averaging 74mph on a 250mile trip last weekend. I drove 80 to 95 all the way. Go figure?

It probably has the same performance but doesn't have the rambunctiousness that it used to have. With traction control on, I notice that it doesn't shut the motor down like it used to. It's way more soft and less jerky than before. I liked it better the old way.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:31 PM

2020 G550
Guys and gals
I have noticed no difference in any performance characteristics or MPG. If anything the car is running excellent considering the heat here in Savannah.
Temps have been 95 plus here for weeks.
I have followed threads about this and it does seem that the older,03 and 04 cars, are being effected much worse than the newer cars.
It also seems that the earlier reflash recipients seem to be having more issues. Do you think MB has changed the flash again due to issues with early adopters?
Old 07-26-2006, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
i don't know what the car was like before the flash since i bought it post flash but my '03 won't even spin the tires with esp off. if someone from mb wants to try telling me that performance hasn't been altered they had better be wearing a jockstrap.

i could care less about mpg for now, i just want a real e55.

Last edited by chiromikey; 07-26-2006 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:17 PM

2009 C63 Black on Black
Unhappy

Originally Posted by chiromikey
i don't know what the car was like before the flash since i bought it post flash but my '03 won't even spin the tires with esp off. if someone from mb wants to try telling me that performance hasn't been altered they had better be wearing a jockstrap.

Mike: Is that you here in Arizona? Phil De Aguero
Old 07-26-2006, 10:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212

Mine still barks going into 3rd. Something is up with yours or you aren't running OEM rocks (i.e. Contis). Is MB even listening to you?
An E55 not smoking the tires from a stop is not a good sign at all.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 E55 Black

I'm not sure why you're still talking about this and haven't seemed to address the issue because if you've done any research obviously there's a problem. I suggest a dyno otherwise MB may not believe you. But, at the risk of offending you, you have been flooring it in S mode and not in C, correct ? Since C starts in 2nd and much harder to spin.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by regor60
I'm not sure why you're still talking about this and haven't seemed to address the issue because if you've done any research obviously there's a problem. I suggest a dyno otherwise MB may not believe you. But, at the risk of offending you, you have been flooring it in S mode and not in C, correct ? Since C starts in 2nd and much harder to spin.
Whatever....if his car is weak, then he should biatch!!

My car will smoke the tires in C/S/M no problem. What are you talking about? I have a hard time getting my tires NOT to spin, and you wonder if it is the shifter setting? This ain't a bimmer. Put it in C and comfort on the suspension and see if it still doesn't haul nuts!! this is an E55!!
Old 07-27-2006, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350

My car also will not smoke the tires after the recall.... ITs really strange... I figured an E55 will have no problems tearing up rubber..... i will have to do something about this...
Old 07-27-2006, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by deaguero
Mike: Is that you here in Arizona? Phil De Aguero
hey phil, yep it's me.

Originally Posted by jangy
Mine still barks going into 3rd. Something is up with yours or you aren't running OEM rocks (i.e. Contis). Is MB even listening to you?
i'm running pilot sports but that shouldn't matter with 516lb.ft. i agree, something isn't right and i'm more inclined to think it's related to the new software since it's fast once i'm moving.

Originally Posted by regor60
wtf...why wouldn't i be talking about this??? and please don't make assumptions that it hasn't been brought up with mb or i don't know the difference between s/c/m mode either (like it should matter with the tq these cars are supposed to have). i had mb check the ic pump among a few other things. mb says everything is fine with no error codes so they left it at that implying the car is fine. a dyno would be nice but after talking with a few tuners, that may not even be an option. these recall ecu'd cars tend to shut down when the new load limit is exceeded and many can't even get their cars dyno'd now!!!

Last edited by chiromikey; 07-27-2006 at 01:57 AM.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Mine wont.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:30 AM

CLS55
are these all 03 and 04s that can't smoke the tires after recall?

i have an 06cls55 and when i took it in they said no software updates were needed, so mine probably has the updates in it already. it can smoke the tires quite easily i might add.... but i'm wondering of any 05s have this prob.... or even 06's that needed the recall. i would be at the dealership if i lost that much power....
Old 07-27-2006, 10:14 AM

'10 E63 AMG
a dyno would be nice but after talking with a few tuners, that may not even be an option. these recall ecu'd cars tend to shut down when the new load limit is exceeded and many can't even get their cars dyno'd now!!!
Do a search on Dynos on this forum, and you'll find instructions on how to properly do it. It has to be put in "dyno" mode, etc. Whoever tells you they can't dyno your car is bs-ing you!

My car makes smoke post re-flash. BUT, I had an ECU update before the re-flash, and then overnighted it to RennTech AFTER the MB re-flash for RennTech to overwrite their upgrades back on to the chip. Either way, you should be able to spin your tires no matter what with these cars - there is something definitely awry with your beast!
Old 07-27-2006, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
Originally Posted by Dogshine
are these all 03 and 04s that can't smoke the tires after recall?

i have an 06cls55 and when i took it in they said no software updates were needed, so mine probably has the updates in it already. it can smoke the tires quite easily i might add.... but i'm wondering of any 05s have this prob.... or even 06's that needed the recall. i would be at the dealership if i lost that much power....

Reading some of the posts on the forums, some cars are affected and some aren't. I am wondering of those who were and those who weren't what year are there cars? Mine is an 04. This possibly could be an issue with the year of the vehicle. Just a thought.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:50 AM

With ESP off, My rear wheels will spin forever. The car does a big violent fish tail and the rears just keep spinning. Eventually I get chicken and let up on the gas. I have no idea how long I could keep the tires burning.

To think of an E55 that can't make the rears break loose at all? Something's wrong!

Last edited by NewMoses; 07-27-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:56 AM

2020 G550
Originally Posted by NewMoses
With ESP off, My rear wheels will spin forever. The car does a big violent fish tail and the rears just keep spinning. Eventually I get chicken and let up on the gas. I have no idea how long I could keep the tires burning.

To think of an E55 that can't make the rears brake loose at all? Something's wrong!

Yeah,like your supercharger not engaging at all

BTW, I do think there is some evidence for a correlation between model yr and issues with this flash. It seems most effected are the 03 and 04's.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by E552006
Yeah,like your supercharger not engaging at all

BTW, I do think there is some evidence for a correlation between model yr and issues with this flash. It seems most effected are the 03 and 04's.

Lets get a poll together or something. Try to collect as much info as we can and some how try to come to some kind of conclusion....
Old 07-27-2006, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by oblax4
Do a search on Dynos on this forum, and you'll find instructions on how to properly do it. It has to be put in "dyno" mode, etc. Whoever tells you they can't dyno your car is bs-ing you!

My car makes smoke post re-flash. BUT, I had an ECU update before the re-flash, and then overnighted it to RennTech AFTER the MB re-flash for RennTech to overwrite their upgrades back on to the chip. Either way, you should be able to spin your tires no matter what with these cars - there is something definitely awry with your beast!
right back atcha regarding the "do a search" comment. there's more than a few people on this board that can't dyno their cars now...and i'll let you tell simon at evosport or cory at kleeman that they're full of **** about the dyno thing yourself.

there is definitely something wrong with these cars and i would bank on it being ecu related instead of mechanical. mb idiots won't admit to anything and only say that it must be a new safety feature!?!?!?
Old 07-28-2006, 01:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
right back atcha regarding the "do a search" comment. there's more than a few people on this board that can't dyno their cars now...and i'll let you tell simon at evosport or cory at kleeman that they're full of **** about the dyno thing yourself.

there is definitely something wrong with these cars and i would bank on it being ecu related instead of mechanical. mb idiots won't admit to anything and only say that it must be a new safety feature!?!?!?
Dyno mode is an MB feature. It is not for you to use, but for them to use to test (not dyno). Take it in and let them know it will not go into the menu and at least they will have a problem they can duplicate. My '06 needed no update and i can get a dyno. If that is contrary to EVO or Kleeman's claims, then they are indeed full of ****. Simple.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dyno mode is an MB feature. It is not for you to use, but for them to use to test (not dyno). Take it in and let them know it will not go into the menu and at least they will have a problem they can duplicate. My '06 needed no update and i can get a dyno. If that is contrary to EVO or Kleeman's claims, then they are indeed full of ****. Simple.
i'm not sure why you guys keep talking about dyno mode. this isn't a problem with getting the car into dyno mode, it's a problem with the ecu shutting down the car when the load limit gets exceeded.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:13 AM

05 E55, R33 GTR, R33 GTS-t
hey chiromikey, are you a Gonstead man?
Old 07-28-2006, 06:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
...........simple? You think the problem with these cars is that they are unable to go into dyno mode? Since you have said so much about this topic, I am honestly interested in your solution. Will it matter to you if I tell you that dyno mode has absolutely nothing at all, not even remotely related to the problem. Congratulations that your 06 can go into dyno mode. Wow! MY 05 with the recall problem can go into dyno mode.

.........Chiromikey has summarized the problem accurately. It is actually possible with a DAS machine to read the individual strings of codes in the ECU. This has alread been done and the load limit issue discovered.

Ted
Old 07-28-2006, 08:52 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Hi Ted,

If you are familiar with this procedure and can explain it to me, I can check it out on a couple of E's up here that had the recall done. What do I have to do in DAS in order to check if the load limit is active?

I would like to definitively know if my car has the load limit on it or not.

[QUOTE=Ted BaldwinIt is actually possible with a DAS machine to read the individual strings of codes in the ECU. This has alread been done and the load limit issue discovered.

Ted[/QUOTE]
Old 07-28-2006, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sly55
hey chiromikey, are you a Gonstead man?
wow, are you a chiro also...or just a really informed patient? i do mainly use gonstead but with a hint of diversified. i guess i'm a "mixer".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Had my re-flash done and.....