Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dragstrip speed vs real world street speed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by housclass

i was waiting for someone to call me out...my car completely stock ran 12.01 @116 with 5xx miles on it...best 60' was 1.80…on dragtimes.com

went back about 10 months later and ran 11.84, 11.87, 11.91 completely stock with the exception of the goodyear GSD3's which had a SLOWER 60' time…on dragtimes.com

my times are good and probably the exception but at sea level (houston) in good air i believe the 55's will run 11.90's - 12.00's all day long.

i've had a couple of people question my car...but it seems nobody ever wants to meet me at the drag strip (HRP) and put their money where their mouth is...

john
The exception does not disprove the rule. Maybe you got lucky and ended up with the fastest E55 built. The others seem to average about what pterion said stock.

Your post above implys that your car was stock when it ran and is still stock. Maybe it is. Maybe you did not end up installing the pulley you mention in number 13 of this post: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/100678-traded-my-s500-e55-today.html

Its kinda hard to know what to believe from those posting here, especially when their claims are out of the norm. I take it all with a grain of salt.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
Notwithstanding all the back on forth regarding whose d!ck is bigger, I think the most important issue of debate is being overlooked

Follow my Logic
the 55k motors were quoted at 469HP (E55's and CLS55's)
the 63NA motors were quoted at 505HP (E63's and CLS63's)
the M5 motors are quoted at 500HP

Quesion 1 - Why are the 55k / 63NA motors dynoing at the same levels????? My suspicion is that the 55k motors were underquoted for a variety of reasons (as mentioned ad nauseum on this forum and elsewhere)

Now whats going on at the drag strip?
On the drag strip the 55k motor generally kills the 63. I have run 9 times againgst 63NA's and they have not been really close - 3-10 lengths behind. The 55k obviously gets the initial jump due to torque, but the most interesting thing is that the 63 does not start catching the 55k. The trap speeds on every encounter were almost always pretty much identical (which is expanined by the similar HP numbers - now confirmed by dyno)

HOWEVER the M5 is similarily slow out the gate but..... BOY does that thing start coming on strong at the end - you're just praying the 1/4 mile gates come soon otherewise you know it will eat you alive, and the M5 always traps 2-4 MPH faster. AND IT ONLY HAS 500HP!

SO whats wrong with this picture - the logic doesnt fit
  • is the 63NA putting out 505HP?
  • is the M5 underated at 500HP?
  • is the siginficant difference in trap speeds between the M5 and the 63NA purely a question of gearing?
Inquiring minds want to know

Last edited by siswati; 11-13-2006 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:12 PM

'08 CLS63
Originally Posted by E63AMG
The exception does not disprove the rule. Maybe you got lucky and ended up with the fastest E55 built. The others seem to average about what pterion said stock.:
maybe in vegas or denver...

Your post above implys that your car was stock when it ran and is still stock. Maybe it is. Maybe you did not end up installing the pulley you mention in number 13 of this post: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100678

Its kinda hard to know what to believe from those posting here, especially when their claims are out of the norm. I take it all with a grain of salt.
sure, i mentioned getting a pully...still don't have one...don't even have filters and my car has 22k miles on.

like i said...meet me (or anybody from this or any other board) at the racetrack anytime...check the pulley or whatever you want...then we'll run the cars and see if i can back up my times. bring another 55 and i'll bet it runs within a tenth of my car...just don't bring a 63 unless you want your feelings hurt.

john
Old 11-13-2006, 01:13 PM

CL65
Other than the start, the M5 has a big advantage because of the SMG transmission, unless it breaks. The shifts are super quick and after first gear it stays in its power band. This can not be said for the E63.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:05 PM

2006 E55, 2007 GL450
Arrow

The exception does not disprove the rule. Maybe you got lucky and ended up with the fastest E55 built. The others seem to average about what pterion said stock.
And yet, the exception may well illustrate the capability of the car.
Your post above implys that your car was stock when it ran and is still stock. Maybe it is. Maybe you did not end up installing the pulley you mention in number 13 of this post: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100678

Damn...it seems you searched his posts with the intent of proving him a liar.
I may be wrong, but....
S.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by siswati
Pterion - just to set the record straight

Many Stock E55's have run way faster than 12.3 - absolutely BONE STOCK - just check out dragtimes - I ran 12.169 at Moroso (not the greatest track by any means) with a 1.78 60ft.

REMEMBER - THIS IS BONE STOCK - speak to Fikse and others and they will all bring out their time slips to prove it.
I can personally vouch for Siswati and Fiske's car, I witnessed both cars run their best times . Heck my car ran 12.33 stock with 20 inch wheels at the same track.

To automatically say that any e55 running faster than 12.30's is not stock is ridiculous. By that rational then the two 63's at Atlanta were ringers since no one on this board has posted such fast times for an e63 or cls63.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:09 AM

E55 2004
Originally Posted by siswati
Notwithstanding all the back on forth regarding whose d!ck is bigger, I think the most important issue of debate is being overlooked

Follow my Logic
the 55k motors were quoted at 469HP (E55's and CLS55's)
the 63NA motors were quoted at 505HP (E63's and CLS63's)
the M5 motors are quoted at 500HP

Quesion 1 - Why are the 55k / 63NA motors dynoing at the same levels????? My suspicion is that the 55k motors were underquoted for a variety of reasons (as mentioned ad nauseum on this forum and elsewhere)

Now whats going on at the drag strip?
On the drag strip the 55k motor generally kills the 63. I have run 9 times againgst 63NA's and they have not been really close - 3-10 lengths behind. The 55k obviously gets the initial jump due to torque, but the most interesting thing is that the 63 does not start catching the 55k. The trap speeds on every encounter were almost always pretty much identical (which is expanined by the similar HP numbers - now confirmed by dyno)

HOWEVER the M5 is similarily slow out the gate but..... BOY does that thing start coming on strong at the end - you're just praying the 1/4 mile gates come soon otherewise you know it will eat you alive, and the M5 always traps 2-4 MPH faster. AND IT ONLY HAS 500HP!

SO whats wrong with this picture - the logic doesnt fit
  • is the 63NA putting out 505HP?
  • is the M5 underated at 500HP?
  • is the siginficant difference in trap speeds between the M5 and the 63NA purely a question of gearing?
Inquiring minds want to know
Could it not be less power loss through the smg gearbox.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Possibly. Some loss of power through the T/C has to come even though its a 100% lock up system. But gearing to me is the answer - the E63 gearing is still a major issue for me with 2 overdrives.. the 7 SPD M5 is geared for performance from 0-200mph. The E63 is not.

Have to say one of the biggest -ve's on the E63 when I drove it was the friggin' gearing... they could have made this thing a proper monster...

Here is a thought ... if they made the gearing "right" the E63 may well have been allot quicker than some flagship AMG models e.g. SL55 CL55's? So this gearing choice might have been done with more than consumption in mind.