Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** 55 Heads Project ***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
Most guys running around in Mercedes are not going to get deep into the motor for power like a few of you guys do. And I will also venture a guess and say most owners of these cars are not dyed-in-the-wool life long gearheads and wrenches either. I have been doing this stuff over 30 years but I am reluctant to tear into this whiz bang techno crap under the hood of this car. But everyone enjoys to see guys push this **** to the limit and read about it. So lighten up...keep pushing it and put that crap to the side. Hell...if you would have had that Fluidamper done before I got my pulley it would be a no brainer..its the best there is. My .02.
Touche Vader touche! No truer words! You are 100% right, it really takes different kinda psycho like myself to tear apart and spend the countless dollars i spend on this stuff. So very true that most people that get a mercedes want luxury and the bonus of performance. Your right not everyone "lives 1/4 mile at a time!" LOL!!! But sometimes you can't help get bitten by the bug too. I guess for me many years ago when i first smacked that nitrous needle in my arm i've been hooked! And yes Fluidampr is the best!

More HP coming, once we get the chassis dyno set up, we'll do a video of our 6.3 K motor on the dyno.

Just a quick run down of parts we put into the 6.3L Stroker:

- Winberg Billet Crank
- GRP Titanium Rods
- JE Pistons

We used honda style connecting rod journals for less rotating friction (smaller journals), even though i realize there probably ain't much to be gained since it's a stroker and it doesn't spin super high rpms, just couldn't help be a racer! I could have went with bigger journals, but strength is not a concern with killer parts like this.

The whole rotating assembly was coated from bearings to piston skirts, we also had the tops of the pistons and combustion chambers coated, more heat in = more power!

Maybe just for ****s and giggles so everyone can laugh, i'll post up a list of money spent to date, but then i'll have to go kill myself! LOL!
Old 05-23-2007, 09:43 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Tb

would you please ask your tech person to draw a diagram for the reverse
wire harness

then post it please

thanks
Old 05-23-2007, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
Originally Posted by bleek
Touche Vader touche! No truer words! You are 100% right, it really takes different kinda psycho like myself to tear apart and spend the countless dollars i spend on this stuff. So very true that most people that get a mercedes want luxury and the bonus of performance. Your right not everyone "lives 1/4 mile at a time!" LOL!!! But sometimes you can't help get bitten by the bug too. I guess for me many years ago when i first smacked that nitrous needle in my arm i've been hooked! And yes Fluidampr is the best!

More HP coming, once we get the chassis dyno set up, we'll do a video of our 6.3 K motor on the dyno.

Just a quick run down of parts we put into the 6.3L Stroker:

- Winberg Billet Crank
- GRP Titanium Rods
- JE Pistons

We used honda style connecting rod journals for less rotating friction (smaller journals), even though i realize there probably ain't much to be gained since it's a stroker and it doesn't spin super high rpms, just couldn't help be a racer! I could have went with bigger journals, but strength is not a concern with killer parts like this.

The whole rotating assembly was coated from bearings to piston skirts, we also had the tops of the pistons and combustion chambers coated, more heat in = more power!

Maybe just for ****s and giggles so everyone can laugh, i'll post up a list of money spent to date, but then i'll have to go kill myself! LOL!
Bleek, What made you go with a titanium rod instead of a good billet steel rod?
Are you still going to flow a decent amount of nitrous through this motor?
Old 05-23-2007, 07:34 PM

2004 E55
Bleek, What made you go with a titanium rod instead of a good billet steel rod?
Are you still going to flow a decent amount of nitrous through this motor?
Big Bert! LOL! I went with titanium because A) i love to **** money away! Actually all kidding aside, i've always been big on cutting down reciprocating mass, just so the motor can rev up faster. Normally i would use aluminum rods but since i have no oil cooler and i might get stuck in traffic aluminum went out the window. To cut costs down on motors for others i would have gone with a killer billet steel rod, but it was strictly a weight thing for me.

I need to spend some time on the nitrous set-up, see i might go back to a stock diameter pulley to cut down on boost so i can add more juice, but it's one of those weird balancing acts. I am almost swaying towards more nitrous only because of traction and drivetrain concerns. See with nitrous i can time when it comes in or make it progressive, with the blower it's on and that's it. With the ring lands way down on the piston and everything coated we should see a bare minimum of a 150 shot going into her! But we will know for sure once we get all our egt temps figured out, i had kooks weld some egt bungs in, just so i had some real world readings, that way i could care less what the computer is saying, i'll actually know when i'm about to melt a coconut!

But since i'll probably end up racing you Bert, i'm gonna give her the 250 shot and i want 6 lengths!
Old 05-23-2007, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Big Bert! LOL! I went with titanium because A) i love to **** money away! Actually all kidding aside, i've always been big on cutting down reciprocating mass, just so the motor can rev up faster. Normally i would use aluminum rods but since i have no oil cooler and i might get stuck in traffic aluminum went out the window. To cut costs down on motors for others i would have gone with a killer billet steel rod, but it was strictly a weight thing for me.

I need to spend some time on the nitrous set-up, see i might go back to a stock diameter pulley to cut down on boost so i can add more juice, but it's one of those weird balancing acts. I am almost swaying towards more nitrous only because of traction and drivetrain concerns. See with nitrous i can time when it comes in or make it progressive, with the blower it's on and that's it. With the ring lands way down on the piston and everything coated we should see a bare minimum of a 150 shot going into her! But we will know for sure once we get all our egt temps figured out, i had kooks weld some egt bungs in, just so i had some real world readings, that way i could care less what the computer is saying, i'll actually know when i'm about to melt a coconut!

But since i'll probably end up racing you Bert, i'm gonna give her the 250 shot and i want 6 lengths!
It will be a killer set-up, looks like you will probably end up with a racepack for your datalogging needs.

Btw: I want the six car lengths, I need them more than you do.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:26 PM

2004 E55
It will be a killer set-up, looks like you will probably end up with a racepack for your datalogging needs.

Hmmm... I'm begining to think your reading my mind! Yes sir, racepak it is! I'm gonna be using a racepak V500. I got a great deal from one of my old customers(used to build drag chassis) it's more then what i need for this car, but what the hell, drive shaft sensor never hurt no one!

See that's why i want 6 lengths Albert, look at the crap i need to go through just to keep up with you, now i got racepaks, next your gonna see me with a clutchless Liberty just to keep up with your ultra fast hotrod!

Actually been looking into sending out all the drivetrain componets to Mark Williams to get a bunch of chrome moly stuff made, axles, halfshafts, ujoints. This could potenitally be one of the ultimate street cars out there if done right. You got luxury, looks, 10 sec passes, and the ability to drive to Cali and back with the A/C pumping, not too many cars can do all that!
Old 05-23-2007, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Hmmm... I'm begining to think your reading my mind! Yes sir, racepak it is! I'm gonna be using a racepak V500. I got a great deal from one of my old customers(used to build drag chassis) it's more then what i need for this car, but what the hell, drive shaft sensor never hurt no one!

Actually been looking into sending out all the drivetrain componets to Mark Williams to get a bunch of chrome moly stuff made, axles, halfshafts, ujoints. This could potenitally be one of the ultimate street cars out there if done right. You got luxury, looks, 10 sec passes, and the ability to drive to Cali and back with the A/C pumping, not too many cars can do all that!
Yeah that race pack is addicting, talk about information overload. You can definitely get carried away with amount of sensors you install. My buddy who runs outlaw-10.5 is such a car lol.

As far as the drive-train, I agree stronger parts will be needed sooner than later. We have two things working hard against us, torque and weight. That is the primary reason why I have not changed the torque converter. Can you image what would happen with just a 3000 stall and some traction, it would be a ticking time bomb with-out hardened parts.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by rflow306
Can you image what would happen with just a 3000 stall and some traction, it would be a ticking time bomb with-out hardened parts.
You would have a diff and axle swap meet scattered all over the track...lol
Old 05-23-2007, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Ok,so whats the real truth to the 07 SL55 80mm TB working on ours cars? Is it a true bolt up or not?
Old 05-24-2007, 12:13 AM

2004 E55
Yeah that race pack is addicting, talk about information overload. You can definitely get carried away with amount of sensors you install. My buddy who runs outlaw-10.5 is such a car lol.

As far as the drive-train, I agree stronger parts will be needed sooner than later. We have two things working hard against us, torque and weight. That is the primary reason why I have not changed the torque converter. Can you image what would happen with just a 3000 stall and some traction, it would be a ticking time bomb with-out hardened parts.
You see how these 10inch tire cares are dipping into the sixes now! Especially these turbo cars, ever see how these turbo cars leave the line? Man they leave like a dog and all of a sudden the turbo's kick in and they lay down a 6.80 pass at over 200+mph!

See this is what i'm talking about! Taking the time to understand things to make combo's that work and also add longevity! Traction is a problem so these cars have to leave soft because A) they can't hook, B) parts breakage!

Now guys take some notes! See how Albert spoke about trannys and converters. Put too much stall in, we break parts, heavy car lots of torque bring in power fast with a sticky tire = game frickin over!

This is why we need to take the time to understand what's actually going on! Let me explain more in depth about changing the EGS module in our cars!

The engineers at mercedes are not stupid! They put load limiters in our cars because they realize what will happen with longevity and warranty issues! Our tranny's can handle something like 800hp or some crap like that(don't know the exact number) but you have to understand that doesn't mean ****!!!!!!!!!!!

That's 800hp with no weight or load! So then you have people out smarting themselves thinking, hey if they can handle this that and the other, why not take out the load limiters by changing the EGS!

So here's the thing, good idea on paper, but bad idea in real life!!! That's why it's funny to see bench racers talk about modding cars, they read a magazine or hear about something and all of a sudden they think there tuners. What do you think is happening when you remove the load limits on a stock tranny? More loads are added to the clutches and the rest of the internals! What happens with more load? More heat and stress!!! So i guess some one might think why not add a tranny cooler and that will fix everything, WRONG!!! Your clutches still can't handle the extra load, so you will still go into pre-mature clutch failure!

The EGS is tailored to limit enough load for the amount of clutches we have in our tranny, change that and we got a huge problem!!! Car should feel great for a little bit until the tranny burns up!

So now we can understand how things work, we can still get the benefits but also remedy the problem as well! Now it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure this one out! IF the problem is the amount of clutches can't handle the extra load, lets add more clutches, correct, but you also have to add more line pressure to the clutches and also speed the shifts up! So here is the situation, MKB, Kleemann, Renntech, all offer this service as a package deal, extra clutches, valvebody, then EGS!

See when you don't take the time to think things through, A) It will cost people lots of money, B) shows how much you actually know, C) your causing more problems then good!

This stuff all applies to drivetrain, gearing, motor work, pullies, everything has to work in sink! There is a reason why i went with a certain diameter valve, a certain gearing, and a certain brand and diameter pulley!

Guys these are very hightech and expensive cars, lets just look at my pulley set-up! I could have gotten anyone to build me any diameter pulley, but i went with Fluidampr, why? Easy, Anyone that knows anything about engine longevity, bearing life and making power know fluidampr. Go even one step simpler, how many top racers and multi-million dollar teams use fluidampr or ATI, now ask yourself why! Now lets also look at how many people get Squigley Bobs no name damper, if Squigley Bob's stuff is so good, forget the cost, why don't more people use there stuff!

Now what happens when you go with the no name damper that no one uses just to save $500, but in 30-50K your bearings are starting to wrap! Was the $500 worth it? The no name damper company is gonna tell you there stuff is top notch, but if so, how come big racers don't use there stuff, and it doesn't matter how new the company is, if your stuff is killer news travels fast, but if you got stuff that looks pretty but performs like junk, news also travels fast!

Now remember this also with the tranny, i say get the EGS, but not with out the tranny upgrade! Just going with the EGS will only cost you more in the long run guaranteed!

Most important thing guys is spend time to understand and learn, if not could cost you alot of money! Hope this was some help!
Old 05-24-2007, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
!!!!!

Someone needs to disable that button for you.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
bleek,

with all due respect and while i appreciate the sharing of knowledge...it's getting old. i may be the only one speaking out but we all know your tranny lecture is just another passive-aggressive dig at vrus. however, vrus has already disclosed the pitfalls of modifying the egs/software without upgrading the hardware and openly advises against the egs upgrade by itself.

and keep in mind, many pro teams run certain components (or claim to run them) because of sponsorship money, not necessarily because they're "better". i've known many top level race teams to put their sponsor's decal on another company's product or publicly praise their sponsors product while privately bashing it because a different companies product has been proven to work better. i'm not saying fluidamper is an inferior product, but anyone claiming "top racers" use something doesn't necessarily make it the best.

like i said, with all due respect.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:26 AM

2004 E55
chiromikey,

i share what i share to help out. i've said my peace on the situation and it's personal, so it will be addressed on personal time. Unfortunatley this has nothing to do with your friend and not everything is about him, with that being said i ask you personally not to bring him up again on my thread subject is closed, much respect chiromikey.

Now with regards to race teams bashing others products and such, your 100% correct, but when it comes to race proven products that get them in the winners circle, that is the issue i speak of. Not about making money from sponsors, but about using the best to get ahead or using the best to keep things together. That was my point sorry you took things the wrong way, my whole philosophy through this thread was about doing your best and not cutting corners, so that is why i speak of million dollar teams using the best.

ARP bolts another great example, yes people are sponsored by them, but there are also people that will only use them and they are not getting paid. there's a reason why 95% of all aftermarket connecting rod companies use ARP bolts, and not Squigley Bob's bolts. So yes just because top teams endorse don't mean much, but my point is, it's not just about top teams it's about the behind the scenes and also the people in the know that are famous but aren't getting paid that use there stuff, so perhaps now you understand my point. Company A) employs 15 engineers, B) employs maybe one, which company will multi-million dollar race teams buy from?

Listen guys choose your own adventure, these are all just my opinons but i try to share things with common sense so that everyone can follow along, which ever route you go does not effect my race program, but it seems the help i am trying to offer hurts people's feelings, nothing personal, just sharing what i know.

Last edited by bleek; 05-24-2007 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Just get that friggin stroker on the dyno and rip it out of the ground will 'ya....

Going to be one monster motor ...
Old 05-24-2007, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by Jrocket
You would have a diff and axle swap meet scattered all over the track...lol
Not to mention a very angry track official, who now has to get all that gear oil off the track.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:26 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by rflow306
Not to mention a very angry track official, who now has to get all that gear oil off the track.
Is that the smelliest stuff in the world or what?

They must make the stuff out of ground-up cats or something.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
250 shot Forget 10's, I wanna see 9's! This is gonna be the baddest benz ever built
Old 05-24-2007, 12:02 PM

2004 E55
Is that the smelliest stuff in the world or what?

They must make the stuff out of ground-up cats or something.
Wow! You said it man, that some pretty killer stuff, motor oil cool, tranny fluid cool, but gear oil wow! Ever try to get the smell out of your hands after your hands have soaked in it for a bit? Good luck gettin some from the ol'lady!

250 shot Forget 10's, I wanna see 9's! This is gonna be the baddest benz ever built
Not the baddest built but Albert had to come out crushing the field, so he left me no choice but to spray the crap out of my car. Damn you Albert! If i start breaking all my parts i'm sending my bill to Albert!

I also have to be very careful dding power to these cars now! Just thing 4000lbs a **** pile of torque and sticky tires, going easy at the starting line is even more important then ever! Anyone here remember back in the day when you made your street cars ultra fast? Did anyone ever notice how there doors didn't quite close right, or how there windows didn't seal? This will happen with our cars also, that's why it's ever so important i don't become retarded trying to leave the line like a prostock! Can you imagine trying to explain to your S.A. why your doors don't close right!
Old 05-25-2007, 01:15 AM

S211 AMG
Bleek,

I have been following this thread intently and it is amazing stuff that you and the other pros here are discussing. I sincerely hope you find that place that we all would love to, or could even afford to reach with our beasts. You and our down under friend are brave souls indeed and I'm very thankful that you are sharing your knowledge and experince with us.

That being said, like Chiromikey, I find these continued digs at Vrus, however disguised, a distraction on your thread. I'm sure that I speak for the masses when asking you to try and take the personal crap out of your posts. It's serving no purpose but to promote further negativity and ill will, and it's tainting such an interesting read.

Keep up the great work Bleek and as my fellow brit said "strap it down already!"

Best regards, Lee
Old 05-25-2007, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by vrus
Dave,

That's not a 2007 SL55 TB.. and it DOESN'T bolt up without modification. I've purchased an 80mm TB of every kind that MB makes to examine the differences.. I have a 2007 SL55 TB in my possession (had to come from Germany because it doesn't even exist in the N.A. parts catalogue yet) and it has a different lip, different Y-pipe configuration, and different wiring configuration than this one.

When I get home tonight, I'll take a pic of the different 80mm TBs side by side.
Can I get some of these pics also please?

I dont see why the 07 SL55 TB w/ inlet won't work on ours cars?
Old 05-28-2007, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Can I get some of these pics also please?

I dont see why the 07 SL55 TB w/ inlet won't work on ours cars?
Most imnportant which TB combo will make most POWER and WHY ???
Old 06-12-2007, 02:10 AM

2004 E55
Sorry guys been super busy with things, my tech finally got back to me with all the details for you guys inregards to the 80mm TB

On part the 2003 SL TB, the 07 SL TB, and the Maybach/twin turbo TB you have to swap two sets of wires in the harness.

The wires that need to be swapped on all three are the same, You have to swap pin outs(reverse) 1,4 and also 5,6. and your good to go! My tech just installed an 07 TB today infront of my eyes, and we also checked a car with a maybach tb and the same pinouts were also swapped.

Just make sure you go with the 07 Inlet 113-140-09-12 and everything will be bolted right up.

I think Jparch might be by to post up some pics and tell you about the results.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Sorry guys been super busy with things, my tech finally got back to me with all the details for you guys inregards to the 80mm TB

On part the 2003 SL TB, the 07 SL TB, and the Maybach/twin turbo TB you have to swap two sets of wires in the harness.

The wires that need to be swapped on all three are the same, You have to swap pin outs(reverse) 1,4 and also 5,6. and your good to go! My tech just installed an 07 TB today infront of my eyes, and we also checked a car with a maybach tb and the same pinouts were also swapped.

Just make sure you go with the 07 Inlet 113-140-09-12 and everything will be bolted right up.

I think Jparch might be by to post up some pics and tell you about the results.
Much appreciated Bleek.

Hows your car coming along?
Old 06-14-2007, 09:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 E63S wagon, 2016 GLE350d, GLE450 on order
here are some pics from the TB install, i will post more when i find my damn memory card; maybe bleek has it with all the top secret pics
Attached Thumbnails *** 55 Heads Project ***-web-inlet-comparison.jpg   *** 55 Heads Project ***-web-new-tb.jpg   *** 55 Heads Project ***-web-new-inlet.jpg  
Old 06-14-2007, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 E63S wagon, 2016 GLE350d, GLE450 on order
This was one of the very first installs done a while back. First step was the Kleemann pulley on a bone stock car. Results were very impressive considering it had a stock tune WITH the air pump reflash. Keep in mind my car ran extremely stong bone stock Next step we added the SL55 inlet and TB and K&N filters. MB techs came to my factory to do the install, as i have a seperate area with hoist,etc. Install was finished at 11pm one night and when i took it for a pass in an industrial area everyone was amazed at the results. Only thing to note after this was the need for a cooling upgrade, you will notice heat-soak and a progressive loss of power after back-to-back runs. I had no plans to mod this car at all, had seen other modded 55's that were not impressive. Got the bug to do some serious mods after going for a pass in bleek's 55, that guy is a very bad influence

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: *** 55 Heads Project ***