Sponsored by:

Tuner Customer Service reality check

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Somebody need to take a very close inspection of the crank snout for damages,then I would put a dial indicator on the end of the snout and turn it 360deg to check for excessive run out.That right there should give you an idea of if the crank is bad or not.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:05 PM

08 E63
Originally Posted by ShelleE55
Jangy -

My other half read your original post the day your issue happened and based on your statement that Greg's was loose but not as much as yours, he said that it sounds like the installer did not have the right tool/installation for the bolt and depending on how it came off there could be crank damage. It may be worth having a second set of eyes other than Creative look at your car regarding crank damage and then Greg's car or one of the others for proper installation. This is not laying blame on Creative but letting you cover all basis.
Sorry Just read your original post, I guess it wasn't Greg but an E55 in the group had a loose pulley also.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by ShelleE55
Sorry Just read your original post, I guess it wasn't Greg but an E55 in the group had a loose pulley also.
Greg was with us but it was Charles's pulley which was wobbling slightly.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
Jangy,

Did you do both pulley and ecu? I got confused with all the madness on the thread. I hope it gets worked out. If just pulley how did it perform before the issue? And if both pulley/ecu how was it?

Good luck!
Old 01-31-2007, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Originally Posted by psk145
does anyone have (or can get) a copy of the installation instructions? Id like to know if it clearly says to use a new bolt.
Don't know about what the Renntech instructions (if any) say, but the factory service manual for the W211 E55 clearly states the bolt must be replaced. Not to beat a dead horse, but it's obvious the installer didn't know the correct procedure for doing an R&R of the crank pulley. Tuning companies assume their products will be installed by competent mechanics. Granted, it may not always be a valid assumption, but it's the reason that they don't always include all of the little bits and pieces like fasteners to do the job right; they assume the mechanic/installer has the appropriate skill set and knowledge and will know to do this.

Of course, the flip side is that for the price Renntech charges for their $125 in materials and labor pulley, you'd think they would include a new crank bolt with the pulley. It's not like it would undermine their net profit margin on the product or anything.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
Okay, so it's only a minor freak.
I bet that it was hammered right from the start and that's why the numbers are strong.

Back to your normally scheduled programming, sorry Jangy.
Actually no it was broken in very carefully and oil changed every 3-5k.

From what I hear the fastest cars are broken in carefully not those beat on from day one. That is what I was told by a MB and software tuner who will go unnamed =). He builds cars for these ultra rich oil vendors and said that they just race the living daylights out of their cars and he always breaks the cars in himself (slow for 1200 miles) before delivering them to the customer and that his cars are always the quickest. Just what I was told.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by baldmike73
Jangy,

Did you do both pulley and ecu? I got confused with all the madness on the thread. I hope it gets worked out. If just pulley how did it perform before the issue? And if both pulley/ecu how was it?

Good luck!
Mine had only pulley. I will get it all situated and dyno'd before getting the ECU. It felt AWESOME with just the pulley. Much more low end and all the way through. It was even barking between first and second, and then this all happened!!
Old 01-31-2007, 12:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Actually no it was broken in very carefully and oil changed every 3-5k.

From what I hear the fastest cars are broken in carefully not those beat on from day one. That is what I was told by a MB and software tuner who will go unnamed =). He builds cars for these ultra rich oil vendors and said that they just race the living daylights out of their cars and he always breaks the cars in himself (slow for 1200 miles) before delivering them to the customer and that his cars are always the quickest. Just what I was told.

I agree fully. I have always broken mine in very religiously and I do have a freak!!
Old 01-31-2007, 12:39 PM

2003 E55 K1
Thumbs down Staying stock

That confirms it for me, I'm staying bone stock. I've had too many bad experiences in the past modifying my old muscle cars and they weren't anywhere near as complicated as our E55's.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
Originally Posted by jangy
Mine had only pulley. I will get it all situated and dyno'd before getting the ECU. It felt AWESOME with just the pulley. Much more low end and all the way through. It was even barking between first and second, and then this all happened!!
now that I think about it, your "barking" was probably your belt rubbing on something as your car shifted
Old 01-31-2007, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by Coalman
That confirms it for me, I'm staying bone stock. I've had too many bad experiences in the past modifying my old muscle cars and they weren't anywhere near as complicated as our E55's.
I am not going to discount what happened with Jangy here but there are many individuals who have modded their cars (55k) and had no issues. I am speaking just about the E55's alone but there is also the S's, Cl's, SL's, G's and the CLS's as well. Remember this is just one issue with a enormous amount of posts. I have nothing to gain by anyone modding or not modding their cars but I would never have a stock 55 engine after getting mine done. Modding or not, these are great cars.

Generally the pulley mod should not lead to such issues.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:58 PM
Banned

AMGs
Originally Posted by BlackC230Coupe
You use UPS at all? And do u accept paypal?
Hahahahaa... Can I have some? PayPal me! I definitely need some after all this mess subsides.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Vic55
I am not going to discount what happened with Jangy here but there are many individuals who have modded their cars (55k) and had no issues. I am speaking just about the E55's alone but there is also the S's, Cl's, SL's, G's and the CLS's as well. Remember this is just one issue with a enormous amount of posts. I have nothing to gain by anyone modding or not modding their cars but I would never have a stock 55 engine after getting mine done. Modding or not, these are great cars.

Generally the pulley mod should not lead to such issues.
And with that said.

Understand that this is just my opinion but I do believe that the problem Jangy has had is due to inproper install,not the pulley itself.On the good side of theis ordeal is that the installer is not turning his back on it,he seems to be right there trying to take care if this problem.That speaks alot too me.Hopefully the crank is ok and he doesnt get stuck with an enormous repair bill in the end.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by Fast55
It can happen. If you're going to use 20% for losses, then my '06 is also making right at 545 HP. I got 435 RWHP totally stock down to the filters.
The discussion was whether it was at the wheels or at the crank.
435 at the wheels is perfectly believable, 545 at the wheels - not so believable.

From what I hear the fastest cars are broken in carefully not those beat on from day one. That is what I was told by a MB and software tuner who will go unnamed =). ... Just what I was told.
Like you, my comment falls under the heading of "Just what I was told."
Unfortunately, I won't be able to provide my own experience/data because I'm too cheap to take the depreciation hit that AMG's suffer in the early years.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
I agree that James and Creative do step up when issues occur, however their choice in resolving problems isn't always what is best for the customer. In this case I would no longer have them do the analysis or any future R&R of any engine component.

I had an issue with them last year regarding a SEVERELY mishandled suspension installation that damaged components on my M3. I will not go through the intimate details publically, but they did "fix" the problem (fix being a loose term) but it was not to my (or any of yours, I guarantee) satisfaction. I deemed it a lost cause to pursue any legal action, considered it a failed experiment and swallowed the cost of the repair of the damaged components on my car by a honest to God BMW tech.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Jangy,

You want good faith work from RENNtech but there is NOTHING they can do. They dont have an obligation to resolove a mistake buy your installer. If they had installed the pulley on your car they would be responsible for the installation process. The buck stops there.

As for the dyno specs, you need to let these cars be driven before you get real power figures for the ecu and pulley upgrades. Throwing the car on the dyno to quickly is not the ideal course of action. You went out on a test run with your buddies before your ecu was done and your ecu was trying to learn how to deal with more boost and maybe was not running an ideal fuel map and the same goes for the cars with the ecu upgrade.

Get all the cars working correctly, and then do a dyno run two weeks from now and I bet all cars will be where they should be on power. You need to look at the delta value from stock to modded not car to car.
Well said...sorry for the problems Jangy and no disrespect to your shop...but this is the installers liability IMO. Mine was installed by a qualified MB Tech who would know if a bolt was needed or not. Dampners are dampners. It's the way they get installled that could create a problem. If I owned one of the 4 cars that were done I would be running to the dealer ....sometimes you gotta pay up. You live and learn. How much did you save by not having it installed at MB ? I may be alone on this but, I have worked on my own cars for 35 years...but I would never let anyone touch my MB other than and MB tech...maybe because there is little fogiveness with these masterpieces.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:57 PM

2016 S550 designo Magno Cashmere White (Matte Finish)
Originally Posted by Coalman
GOOD !!! So when we see ya on the road us`mods are gonna eat ya up +1 kill haha
Old 01-31-2007, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
But do dealers install aftermarket parts like this?
Old 01-31-2007, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML550
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
But do dealers install aftermarket parts like this?
Many MB dealers are authorized Renntech distributors (and installers).
Old 01-31-2007, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by kompressed55
Many MB dealers are authorized Renntech distributors (and installers).

..........it is probably more accurate to say that some MB dealers are Renntech installers. Unlike the impression that frquently gets pushed in this forum, this is not unique to Renntech. Some MB dealers such as Atlanta Classic Cars are authorized Kleemann installers.

........Further, the above does NOT in any shape or form mean that Mercedes Warranties Renntech parts and products. Your Warranty is with the manufacturer of your car, not your dealer. Having a friendly dealer does help, but in the event of a major failure Mercedes sends a regional rep to come and inspect your car. Don't count on that regional rep joining your local Renntech or Kleemann fan club.

Ted

Last edited by Ted Baldwin; 01-31-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Yeah, it's totally a dealer call.

North area Benz dealer takes a swing at cha when mention mods. South side (my guys) try to talk you into doing the heads. Love those big lugs.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Sorry to hear this Jangy. Hope nothing major is damaged. Things happen when you modify a car exceeds factory spec. But don't let this discourage you from modding tho

Old 01-31-2007, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
..........it is probably more accurate to say that some MB dealers are Renntech installers. Unlike the impression that frquently gets pushed in this forum, this is not unique to Renntech. Some MB dealers such as Atlanta Classic Cars are authorized Kleemann installers.

........Further, the above does NOT in any shape or form mean that Mercedes Warranties Renntech parts and products. Your Warranty is with the manufacturer of your car, not your dealer. Having a friendly dealer does help, but in the event of a major failure Mercedes sends a regional rep to come and inspect your car. Don't count on that regional rep joining your local Renntech or Kleemann fan club.

Ted
couldn't have said it better I first went with Renntech because of the history with AMG, and thought MB would be more forgiving of Renntech mods. I remember talking to Rob Allen a few years ago about mods and before I could finish the word "relationship" with regards to renntech and MB, he cut me off before I could get the word out of my mouth. He very politely informed me that there is ZERO relationship between them and Renntech. Now, before someone chops my head off this was the story then - If that's changed I can't say. I doubt it though.

I had as good a relationship with my dealer as anyone here. They knew the car was modded, and at one time there was a reg. tech who had to look at my car for the stalling issue. Thank God, this problem was documented before the car was modded. I brought the car in with around 10,000 miles and both front rotors were cracked. They told me they would not warranty them because of the "chip" in my car, which contributed to the pre-mature wear. I'm still stunned to this day by that comment. I tried to reason that if you take two E55's, one stock, the other with a "chip" and run them from 0-150 the only difference is that the chipped car will get there a bit faster. Both, however still have to stop from 150. They didn't get it. I also told them the car was never tracked and the brake warning light never came on - obvious to me that the car was not abused, but that the brakes could stand up to how the car is marketed.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by cte430
couldn't have said it better I first went with Renntech because of the history with AMG, and thought MB would be more forgiving of Renntech mods. I remember talking to Rob Allen a few years ago about mods and before I could finish the word "relationship" with regards to renntech and MB, he cut me off before I could get the word out of my mouth. He very politely informed me that there is ZERO relationship between them and Renntech. Now, before someone chops my head off this was the story then - If that's changed I can't say. I doubt it though.

I had as good a relationship with my dealer as anyone here. They knew the car was modded, and at one time there was a reg. tech who had to look at my car for the stalling issue. Thank God, this problem was documented before the car was modded. I brought the car in with around 10,000 miles and both front rotors were cracked. They told me they would not warranty them because of the "chip" in my car, which contributed to the pre-mature wear. I'm still stunned to this day by that comment. I tried to reason that if you take two E55's, one stock, the other with a "chip" and run them from 0-150 the only difference is that the chipped car will get there a bit faster. Both, however still have to stop from 150. They didn't get it. I also told them the car was never tracked and the brake warning light never came on - obvious to me that the car was not abused, but that the brakes could stand up to how the car is marketed.
its called the dealer told you something and you listened. i just had my tranny go out on my hummer i took it to the dealer they said oh you put a supercharger on it you are not covered and have to pay. so of coarse i was **** that sucks but i called the shop where i had it installed. he broke down a law called moss something???? where it protects after market tuners and people that want after market stuff. long story short he told my dealer about the law and said if you cant prove the supercharger was the direct fault then you have to fix it. so in your case you just didnt have the right info cuzz there is no way your chip caused your brakes to fail. and there is no way they could of proved it.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by ROCKETW19
its called the dealer told you something and you listened. i just had my tranny go out on my hummer i took it to the dealer they said oh you put a supercharger on it you are not covered and have to pay. so of coarse i was **** that sucks but i called the shop where i had it installed. he broke down a law called moss something???? where it protects after market tuners and people that want after market stuff. long story short he told my dealer about the law and said if you cant prove the supercharger was the direct fault then you have to fix it. so in your case you just didnt have the right info cuzz there is no way your chip caused your brakes to fail. and there is no way they could of proved it.
It's the Moss-Magnuson act and I'm quite familiar with it. It's as you described - the dealer has the burden to prove that the mod caused the failure. You were lucky with your hummer dealer. It's not unheard of that consumers are forced to sue the dealer or some other type of mediation. Most dealers are not going to say "Oh, you mentioned Moss-Mag., let's just fix this for you". All while your car sits there waiting for the details to be sorted out. - Porsche dealers are some of the best at this.

In my case I felt it was easier to just pay for the brake job.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tuner Customer Service reality check