CLS63
Look at the cover of the air boxes not the air box. GO TAKE A LOOK MAN,
Old 11-07-2008, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 SL600
Originally Posted by rarfinancial
Look at the cover of the air boxes not the air box. GO TAKE A LOOK MAN,
The covers look exactly like this previously posted pic:
Attached Thumbnails AMG63 R&D #1 (Free 18 RWHP)-air-boxe-no-charcoal-filter-web.jpg  
Old 11-07-2008, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
If your covers look just like those in the pix then your filters are already removed. The black XX's are covered by the charcoal filters.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:19 PM

AMG C63, Merc C230, Audi A3
Anyone with the Engine Light? I just did my C63 - removed charcoal filter, but I've added also K&N. After about 20 KM - engine light. I am going to put stock back on without charcoal. Will engine light go away in a bit? ( Damn, I miss my VAG-COM cable)
Old 05-21-2009, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
no lights ever here from that. Did you damage one of the sensors on the sirboxes when swithcing them out? DIsconnect battery to hard clear light and drive again. If engine light comes back you will probably have to get it scanned to see what the code is. i have never heard of ANYONE getting a check engine light from that, and probably 90% of these forums have done what you did.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:56 PM

07 Z06, 08 Rover Sport, 03 Dmax, 13 Diavel
ohh..im going to have to try this out!!! thanks for the good tip!
Aj
Old 05-21-2009, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Fr33kn63
no lights ever here from that. Did you damage one of the sensors on the sirboxes when swithcing them out? DIsconnect battery to hard clear light and drive again. If engine light comes back you will probably have to get it scanned to see what the code is. i have never heard of ANYONE getting a check engine light from that, and probably 90% of these forums have done what you did.
No CEL ever from what? Charcoal removal? Probably and most likely you are correct. My mistake that I've installed K&N at the same time and as far as I know K&N can cause CEL. However, it never happened to any of my VW's or Audi's.

I've tried your solution, disconnected battery and plugged it back in 15 min or so. CEL right from the start. Drove a little bit but it didn't go away.
Returned all to stock and going to a dealer tomorrow.

Another thing - i've installed LED's in my lids just about 2 days ago. They are also known for throwing a CEL sometimes.

Really wonder what diagnostics will show tomorrow.

I didn't touched the MAF. I've been doing filter swap for a while now to make this simple error, but who knows.

I am guilty of breaking a rule - never install different updates all at the same time (unless you have a diagnostic tool that is )
Old 05-21-2009, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by id64
No CEL ever from what? Charcoal removal? Probably and most likely you are correct. My mistake that I've installed K&N at the same time and as far as I know K&N can cause CEL. However, it never happened to any of my VW's or Audi's.

I've tried your solution, disconnected battery and plugged it back in 15 min or so. CEL right from the start. Drove a little bit but it didn't go away.
Returned all to stock and going to a dealer tomorrow.

Another thing - i've installed LED's in my lids just about 2 days ago. They are also known for throwing a CEL sometimes.

Really wonder what diagnostics will show tomorrow.

I didn't touched the MAF. I've been doing filter swap for a while now to make this simple error, but who knows.

I am guilty of breaking a rule - never install different updates all at the same time (unless you have a diagnostic tool that is )
Your CEL might be because of the LED's, cause I removed charcoal and use K&N's was done at same time. I have also done other intake mods to open more airflow and nothing has EVER thrown a check engine from those items alone.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:38 PM

Your CEL might be because of the LED's, cause I removed charcoal and use K&N's was done at same time. I have also done other intake mods to open more airflow and nothing has EVER thrown a check engine from those items alone.
Thanks for you response. I might be a bloody gas gap as well, just a coincidence. But I am not alone with K&N and Charocal = CEL. Here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ine-light.html
Old 05-21-2009, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
Thanks for you response. I might be a bloody gas gap as well, just a coincidence. But I am not alone with K&N and Charocal = CEL. Here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ine-light.html
NP. Guess you wont really know for sure til you scan your codes
Old 05-21-2009, 11:51 PM

NP. Guess you wont really know for sure til you scan your codes
Indeed. BTW, I am coming from VW/Audi camp to Merc and I am really missed my VAG-COM software and a cable. Is there anything remotely similar to it at least in terms of diagnostics and simple code delete like this case?
Old 05-22-2009, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
I dont know really. Fortunatly enough people I seem to know around here have a few STAR diags around to help out in these situations. Sorry maybe someone else can give you a better idea.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:20 AM

CEL UPDATE

Well, I went to the dealer this morning.

I don't remember exact code, but it was something "running lean" in both sides. There were no codes about LED's.

SO. I now can officially confirm that my CEL was caused by combination of removing charcoal filter and installing K&N at the same time.

I am not going to try and remove charcoal alone until I receive my ODB 2 diagnostic tool.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT

I don't remember exact code, but it was something "running lean" in both sides. There were no codes about LED's.

SO. I now can officially confirm that my CEL was caused by combination of removing charcoal filter and installing K&N at the same time.

I am not going to try and remove charcoal alone until I receive my ODB 2 diagnostic tool.
Autoenginuity has a scan tool with an MB specific module.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG

kinda weird that only a few cars get affected like that. Cause myself and the majority of people have done this exact thing without issues. Go figure. Sorry to hear you are one of the minority that has had trouble doing this.
It too bad cause with the K&N's and no charcoal filters does give some extra nice power.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:37 PM

kinda weird that only a few cars get affected like that. Cause myself and the majority of people have done this exact thing without issues. Go figure. Sorry to hear you are one of the minority that has had trouble doing this.
It too bad cause with the K&N's and no charcoal filters does give some extra nice power.
If I had this damn ODB tool I would have tried again. I am thinking, maybe I didn't tight it properly.... Weird.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:42 PM

UPDATE

Just removed charcoal filter at this time and left stock ones. So far - no CEL. I'll wait for my ODB2 tool and will try K&N again.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 s560 sedan
another tip . follow the air intakes right in front of the hood in front of the grill and unsnap plastic clips and fold back . Intakes are almost 70% blocked off from these plates .
Old 05-25-2009, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 s560 sedan
If I had this damn ODB tool I would have tried again. I am thinking, maybe I didn't tight it properly.... Weird.
my CEL we reset once and it came again for a few days then i did a long highway run about 70 miles and it shut off again . 2 codes were both about it running lean .

if u bring it to mb service u think they will make a stink about charcoals removed ????????????????????????
Old 05-25-2009, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by malakasnyc
my CEL we reset once and it came again for a few days then i did a long highway run about 70 miles and it shut off again . 2 codes were both about it running lean .

if u bring it to mb service u think they will make a stink about charcoals removed ????????????????????????
I think that they will. It's better put them back and then take it in.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:54 PM

Couple AMG's
Im going to do it to mine tommarow
but is there a video to it so i can watch it and do it?
its much easier to watch a vid so people can see what to unscrew (for example me)
Old 05-26-2009, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Originally Posted by Vadim @ FD
Well Ladies and Gentlemen, the time has come to unlock the secrets of this new, wondefull engine.

To establish the baseline, I used trezai's CLS63.

At 1000 miles he dynoed his car at another shop and, if I am not mistaken, ended up with 414RWHP on Dynojet 248.

After 3500 miles the car put down 424RWHP which is exactly what I was expecting it to do. Unfortunately, due to the lack of time, we could not find a way to pick-up rpms, so there are no TQ readings - only wheel HP.

While the car was cooling down, I took the airboxes off to examine them. The box size is a bit on a small side. Bigger design would be worth some power. More importantly I found an easy 18RWHP in them.

When you take them apart, besides stock air filter, there is another kind of filter - Charcoal (Please see first picture) - it's function is to keep vapor emissions from escaping through intake manifold and air boxes.

On E60 M5, which has the same filters, removing them was worth 12-17RWHP. So, out they go. Using a flat screw driver simply push the edge of the filter out from behind the tab and 10 seconds later it is out.

On the dyno, car went from 424 to 442RWHP an 18 HP gain, with a nice bump accross the whole curve.

So get your tools and get at it -

Thank you for listening.
K&N now offers replacement filters for the 6.3. I had popped out the carbon units (not Star Trek) shortly after taking delivery in mid 2007 and immediately noted an improvement. At that time K&N did not offer filters, however they sent me an e-mail in 2008 advising me of the availability and subsequently, they have been installed. Arguably there should be some additional improvement. The car only has 4800 miles at present.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:59 AM

Slow
Originally Posted by malakasnyc

So did the ecu reset it self? I have asked this before in a previous thread and no body replied. I am currently running K&N's with the charcoal filters in place, because I threw a CEL for the same reason "running lean" when I took out the charcoal filters.

I want to make sure the ecu will reset it self if I take out the charcoal filters and only run the K&N's!!! Can someone please help me

Thanks
Old 05-26-2009, 06:10 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
gonzales25:

Have your dealer check and see if your 63 is under recall for intake manifold vacuum leak. Some cars needed new gaskets. That could explain the lean codes.

Good Luck!
Old 05-26-2009, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Vadim @ FD
gonzales25:

Have your dealer check and see if your 63 is under recall for intake manifold vacuum leak. Some cars needed new gaskets. That could explain the lean codes.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the advise, I will check. But in this case lean codes will be there even with all stock, or you think that removal of charcoal just aggravates the situation?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: AMG63 R&D #1 (Free 18 RWHP)