Sponsored by:

E63 Hesitation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/207245-e63-tranny-recall-performed-codes-inside.html

The campaign # and details are in this thread. My car is running Better than ever. remember if you get the latest ECU software it may be less aggressive than what your car already does, just drive hard and push push , the car will re-adapt and should feel better afetr about 300 miles of ***** to the wall driving
Old 08-31-2007, 07:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
15 S550 Daily 96 Dodge Viper GTS
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by juicee63
[url]
The campaign # and details are in this thread. My car is running Better than ever. remember if you get the latest ECU software it may be less aggressive than what your car already does, just drive hard and push push , the car will re-adapt and should feel better afetr about 300 miles of ***** to the wall driving
I just recieved my E63 back from service and the butt dyno tells me something is different for the good. I didn't get my paper work back but the SA showed what they have done. First they did change the vavle body in the trans and updated the TCU/ ECU with the latest updates. I had them update the car once before to allow it to start in first gear. They also changed all the Brake pads as discussed in this thread.

On the way home i did a zero to 120 run and the shifts were crisper and the down shifts were much smoother.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Bluemax
I just recieved my E63 back from service and the butt dyno tells me something is different for the good. I didn't get my paper work back but the SA showed what they have done. First they did change the vavle body in the trans and updated the TCU/ ECU with the latest updates. I had them update the car once before to allow it to start in first gear. They also changed all the Brake pads as discussed in this thread.

On the way home i did a zero to 120 run and the shifts were crisper and the down shifts were much smoother.

Look Out Lamborghinis , ole Blue es BAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK.

November gonna be fun buddy
Old 08-31-2007, 10:33 PM

Talking

Look Out Lamborghinis , ole Blue es BAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK.

November gonna be fun buddy

Can't wait for November either

I guess old top carbon didn't want a play with my old Viper. Hmmm
Old 09-04-2007, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e63 amg 2007
Hopeful of a Fix

My e63 is in the shop today. Hopefully they will figure out my problem (bogging) and I will update you all. By the way, my brakes squeal terribly as well. I am glad I got on the boards this morning as it reminded me to call them back and mention it. More later.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have the same exact hesitation on my ML63. I took it to the dealer three times already, and finally the third time, I took one of the SAs for a ride. They clearly saw the problem. I get a call two days later, and they say everything is pointing to my ECU, which they would not touch because my ECU seal is broken. Now I have to buy a new ECU just for them to touch it. I never thought Id say this, but #%$# Mercedes Service
Old 09-04-2007, 03:49 PM

E63,,,not any more,,,BMW X5 50i
Originally Posted by Blue_Monster
I have the same exact hesitation on my ML63. I took it to the dealer three times already, and finally the third time, I took one of the SAs for a ride. They clearly saw the problem. I get a call two days later, and they say everything is pointing to my ECU, which they would not touch because my ECU seal is broken. Now I have to buy a new ECU just for them to touch it. I never thought Id say this, but #%$# Mercedes Service
Did you have "any" reflashes done on the ECU? I am taking my car in tomorrow. I have a fairly good relationship with them. I will report back as what they did!!
Old 09-04-2007, 04:52 PM

2007 E63, 2006 E46 M3
Hi, I am a newbie to the forum.

I have the same problem with hesitation, especially with rolling starts at 5 mph. Even worse my car knocks/pre detonates with light trottle applications. Once you kick it some gas (aggressive pedal position) the ecu catches on and no more knocking. At full tilt, never a problem. But if I start slow the car seems to start in a ecu fuel conservation mode.

I've had the engine and transmission flashed/updated. It happens less.
I've spoken to some head mechanics at MB...they admit that the hesitation is normal and programmed into the ecu to save the tranny from all that torque. I was thinking about a renntech ecu upgrade but too much for my tastes.

My previous car was an E46 M3. I could put that car in 5th gear at 10mph and the engine would never knock.

Last edited by 07E63; 09-04-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by buckeyewalt
Did you have "any" reflashes done on the ECU? I am taking my car in tomorrow. I have a fairly good relationship with them. I will report back as what they did!!

I had a powerchip in my car which the dealer reflashed That should not be the cause the of the problem.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:38 PM

e63 amg 2007
Hesitation

I see that lots of people have the hesitation. My car was a July 2006 build. It ran fine when I bought it and began hesitating after a 3/22/07 service I had done. Specifically, my check engine light came on and the car ran very rough at start up one morning. I brought it in and MB said the cause was an engine air fuel mixture that was too lean. They adjusted that and solved the problem. They also then took the liberty of updating the software on the transmission control module. They never told me why they did this.

The next day the hesitation problem began. I ignorantly thought it would go away after a few tanks of gas. Instead, it got worse. Like I said on an earlier post, I brought it in today for work and am still awaiting word from them. They told me they were going to try reinstalling the original software for the car. However, now that I read the bulletin boards I am concerned that I will be be going back to something that was also flawed in the first place (why else would there be an update?). Does anyone know if perhaps there is more than one software update for the e63s?. Perhaps my car had the first software update and there are newer versions out there now? I mention my build date and software upgrade date as points of reference for the rest of you. I am curious if the older cars (like mine) all originally ran fine, until there was a software update installed. Perhaps the newer cars have always had the problem as they had the newer software installed already?

By the way, I have brought my car in for service maybe six or seven times now (at 13K miles today) for trunk that won't close randomly, oil light coming on, rough starts, engine hesitation, squeeky brakes. Nevertheless, I really want them to fix the hesitation problem so I can contiinue to love this car. I absolutely can not live with the car the way it runs now. The answer can simply not be that that is the way they were designed. That is not the car that I bought. Thanks for letting me vent. I probably should have just waited until tomorrow to update you all. We'll see.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by cotodad
I see that lots of people have the hesitation. My car was a July 2006 build. It ran fine when I bought it and began hesitating after a 3/22/07 service I had done. Specifically, my check engine light came on and the car ran very rough at start up one morning. I brought it in and MB said the cause was an engine air fuel mixture that was too lean. They adjusted that and solved the problem. They also then took the liberty of updating the software on the transmission control module. They never told me why they did this.

The next day the hesitation problem began. I ignorantly thought it would go away after a few tanks of gas. Instead, it got worse. Like I said on an earlier post, I brought it in today for work and am still awaiting word from them. They told me they were going to try reinstalling the original software for the car. However, now that I read the bulletin boards I am concerned that I will be be going back to something that was also flawed in the first place (why else would there be an update?). Does anyone know if perhaps there is more than one software update for the e63s?. Perhaps my car had the first software update and there are newer versions out there now? I mention my build date and software upgrade date as points of reference for the rest of you. I am curious if the older cars (like mine) all originally ran fine, until there was a software update installed. Perhaps the newer cars have always had the problem as they had the newer software installed already?

By the way, I have brought my car in for service maybe six or seven times now (at 13K miles today) for trunk that won't close randomly, oil light coming on, rough starts, engine hesitation, squeeky brakes. Nevertheless, I really want them to fix the hesitation problem so I can contiinue to love this car. I absolutely can not live with the car the way it runs now. The answer can simply not be that that is the way they were designed. That is not the car that I bought. Thanks for letting me vent. I probably should have just waited until tomorrow to update you all. We'll see.

If you on the board here, there is a mention of a module that will be replaced if the oil light comes on too much. There is also a recall (DTB) regarding a support bracket for the internal air flap. There are several E63 issues that are addressed. I have an appointment tomorrow for the hesitation plus a clunk in my front suspension that there was a service campaign on. I will report tomorrow as to the success of my problems
Old 09-05-2007, 10:12 PM

Got my car back today for the dealer....they installed the support bracket for the secondary air flap....they also put in a new ball joint upper and lower...the transmission was reflashed as well as the engine....I don't think the hesitation is as bad...but maybe a slight one, if that. I don't know if the support bracket, or the reflash or a combination had anything to do with it...but it can pin my head against the headrest without any problems....as far as the transmission clunk,,,,they couldn't find anything, BUT I really think whatever they did...has helped. Those having hasitation issues should get the reflash, as well as the support bracket.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:19 AM

e63 amg 2007
Hesitation

Buckeye. Thanks for posting this right away. This may really help me out. I brought my car in a couple of days ago. They told me they needed to keep it until Friday. I am going to email them your solution asap this morning. Hopefully this will solve my problem as well. I will let you know.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:07 AM

Buckeye. Thanks for posting this right away. This may really help me out. I brought my car in a couple of days ago. They told me they needed to keep it until Friday. I am going to email them your solution asap this morning. Hopefully this will solve my problem as well. I will let you know.
coto-- Here is the campaign #--Campaign No. 2007020004, June 2007. Also if you look under the members, konigstiger, and look at his posts , he has a wealth of information. As a matter of fact, he was the one who provided me with all of the DTB and the service campaign for the air flap. Let us know how you came out!!
Old 09-06-2007, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
coto-- Here is the campaign #--Campaign No. 2007020004, June 2007. Also if you look under the members, konigstiger, and look at his posts , he has a wealth of information. As a matter of fact, he was the one who provided me with all of the DTB and the service campaign for the air flap. Let us know how you came out!!
My car is actually for the first time in 11000 miles shifting nicely, and doing what I ask.. I am getting out of 1st at 6900rpm WOT, and 2nd 3rd are at 7100. It feels much better,
Old 09-06-2007, 04:58 PM

Talking

My car is actually for the first time in 11000 miles shifting nicely, and doing what I ask.. I am getting out of 1st at 6900rpm WOT, and 2nd 3rd are at 7100. It feels much better,

For some reason my 63 is shifting out of first at 6300rpm and the funny thing it does feel quicker when short shifting out of first. The rest of the shifts are at the normal 7100.
I have felt the hesitation even with this update. It's just when you lighty touch the pedal, i do notice it. It's nothing like before..
Old 09-06-2007, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Bluemax
For some reason my 63 is shifting out of first at 6300rpm and the funny thing it does feel quicker when short shifting out of first. The rest of the shifts are at the normal 7100.
I have felt the hesitation even with this update. It's just when you lighty touch the pedal, i do notice it. It's nothing like before..
I think 6200-6300 is the norm. You will have to train first gear to go a tad further. In d/s downshift back to first and try and hold the car @ over 6300 in first , first gear seems to shift out a tad early in all 63's unlees you train it. I think my car took 500 plus miles and the reflash to start shifting at 6900, also try some high octane fuel .
Old 09-07-2007, 08:51 AM

This is goofy..........other than the "minor" problems that I have had with hesitation, and a seldom transmission clunk coming down from RPM's, my car has been really running great.....I have never (that I can recall) had a early shift into another gear before 7000 (or so), so why is there such a difference between vehicles......not only us but the "55" guys as well...performance, hp and torque curves all over the place,,,,is there really that much of a varience between engines? I wonder if the vettes engines varry that much in output. I always thought that by having an engine built by one person, no matter who, and is sharing parts from a "bin", everything should be equal...as usual I guess wrong!!!!!

Maybe I am expecting too much, or maybe we are satisfied with what we have. Hey, I will be the first to say that I am satisfied, BUT, I can't help thinking why there would be such a difference between engines, when everything is measured in hundreths of an inch or even smaller. Hope someone can explain it to me........!!!!!
Old 09-07-2007, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
This is goofy..........other than the "minor" problems that I have had with hesitation, and a seldom transmission clunk coming down from RPM's, my car has been really running great.....I have never (that I can recall) had a early shift into another gear before 7000 (or so), so why is there such a difference between vehicles......not only us but the "55" guys as well...performance, hp and torque curves all over the place,,,,is there really that much of a varience between engines? I wonder if the vettes engines varry that much in output. I always thought that by having an engine built by one person, no matter who, and is sharing parts from a "bin", everything should be equal...as usual I guess wrong!!!!!

Maybe I am expecting too much, or maybe we are satisfied with what we have. Hey, I will be the first to say that I am satisfied, BUT, I can't help thinking why there would be such a difference between engines, when everything is measured in hundreths of an inch or even smaller. Hope someone can explain it to me........!!!!!

wow you are lucky. Many owners cannot get the high rpm shift especially in 1st. I have never really had the hesitation or clunking though.

Must be the hand built stuff. And ECU. The car seems to run how you drive it . I bet the cars can vary by over 1 second in the 1/4 mile based on ECU and TCU training.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:11 PM

wow you are lucky. Many owners cannot get the high rpm shift especially in 1st. I have never really had the hesitation or clunking though.

Must be the hand built stuff. And ECU. The car seems to run how you drive it . I bet the cars can vary by over 1 second in the 1/4 mile based on ECU and TCU training.
That's what I mean....why the huge differences......the tollerances of the engine wouldn't vary that much,,,would they?

Juice...I would love to run the 1/4, however, in west Tennessee you are VERY limited regarding track time and having open tracks. I have been living in this state about 8 years, originally from Ohio where there are plenty of tracks...!!
Old 09-07-2007, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
That's what I mean....why the huge differences......the tollerances of the engine wouldn't vary that much,,,would they?

Juice...I would love to run the 1/4, however, in west Tennessee you are VERY limited regarding track time and having open tracks. I have been living in this state about 8 years, originally from Ohio where there are plenty of tracks...!!
yeah , the 1/4 mile is addictive, your car sounds like it would run well. That first gear saves .3 off the time if you can get the 6900 shift vs the 6300.

The ECU is the reason, its tricky to tune and all the adaptive , stuff man..everyytime I get stuck in traffic i get stressed out that my car is going to want to be in 5th gear at 35..LOL. I think the ECU , TCU is what is causing the early variances . The engine seems to be tuned close to peak. Compression is very high so modding is tricky. Also we may be simply experiencing what it feels like to be N/A. The heat really sucks our power so the car can slow alot in temps over 80 IMHO
Old 09-08-2007, 08:54 AM

yeah , the 1/4 mile is addictive, your car sounds like it would run well. That first gear saves .3 off the time if you can get the 6900 shift vs the 6300.

The ECU is the reason, its tricky to tune and all the adaptive , stuff man..everyytime I get stuck in traffic i get stressed out that my car is going to want to be in 5th gear at 35..LOL. I think the ECU , TCU is what is causing the early variances . The engine seems to be tuned close to peak. Compression is very high so modding is tricky. Also we may be simply experiencing what it feels like to be N/A. The heat really sucks our power so the car can slow alot in temps over 80 IMHO
If heat is the main reason for the power being sucked out of NA motors, would something like Vadims heat spacers help in that regard??
Old 09-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
would something like Vadims heat spacers help in that regard
Yes, the heat spacers would help. By isolating manifold from the engine, they delay it's heat soak and cool it down significantly quicker.

I have them on introductory special for $239 ($50 off).
Old 09-10-2007, 10:36 AM

e63 amg 2007
Hesitation update

OK. I got my car back. The mechanics said that my hesitation was one of the worser ones that they had seen. They put 56 miles on my car while it was there, so I know they either gave it a hard look, or they took it joy riding.

The bad news is the hesitation is still there, but much less than before. Even they told me I would still feel it, but that it should not be as bad. It still annoys me, but is only there when coming to a fast stop and then taking off immediately (and like I said, not nearly as bad as before). Can I live with it? I really need to drive it around for a few more weeks to tell. I hope MB will come out with another software upgrade to improve it further.

The good news is that my car is faster, at least I think it is (after driving around a rental 230 for four days. That and the weather cooled down considerabley in Southern California this weekend....if that makes a difference). I never looked at what my RPMs my shifts were at in the past, but the posts above got me curious. I had no idea different engines could give such different results. My car is shifting at 7000 rpms or just slightly above. (Of course I only got into fourth gear testing this). The wheels loose traction much easier now though (even with the stability control on), but I am enjoying it.

Here is what they did. According to the invoice I received when I picked up the car, "Tech 839 perform engine with DAS Test - All actual values within specified range//Test fuel pump pressure (3Bar at idle, 4.5Bar while driving//Perform camshaft initial position check (all 4 camshafts aligned as per spec)//Perform flash software update to transmission contol unit//Perform version coding to transmission//Perform flash software update to engine control unit//Perform version coding to engine control unit//Erased codes and test drove vehicle//Retest vehicle with SDS and check for codes."
Old 09-10-2007, 03:54 PM

OK. I got my car back. The mechanics said that my hesitation was one of the worser ones that they had seen. They put 56 miles on my car while it was there, so I know they either gave it a hard look, or they took it joy riding.

The bad news is the hesitation is still there, but much less than before. Even they told me I would still feel it, but that it should not be as bad. It still annoys me, but is only there when coming to a fast stop and then taking off immediately (and like I said, not nearly as bad as before). Can I live with it? I really need to drive it around for a few more weeks to tell. I hope MB will come out with another software upgrade to improve it further.

The good news is that my car is faster, at least I think it is (after driving around a rental 230 for four days. That and the weather cooled down considerabley in Southern California this weekend....if that makes a difference). I never looked at what my RPMs my shifts were at in the past, but the posts above got me curious. I had no idea different engines could give such different results. My car is shifting at 7000 rpms or just slightly above. (Of course I only got into fourth gear testing this). The wheels loose traction much easier now though (even with the stability control on), but I am enjoying it.

Here is what they did. According to the invoice I received when I picked up the car, "Tech 839 perform engine with DAS Test - All actual values within specified range//Test fuel pump pressure (3Bar at idle, 4.5Bar while driving//Perform camshaft initial position check (all 4 camshafts aligned as per spec)//Perform flash software update to transmission contol unit//Perform version coding to transmission//Perform flash software update to engine control unit//Perform version coding to engine control unit//Erased codes and test drove vehicle//Retest vehicle with SDS and check for codes."
Glad to hear you car is almost "normal"...when they reflashed your transmission/control unit, what version was the reflash...just curious,,,I would like to compare it to my reflash...also did you get the support bracket for the intake manifold flaps done,,,if not, you might want to...that alone "almost" cured my hesitation...still have one, but very slight and off idle..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E63 Hesitation