dirty filters!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
dirty filters!!!

the last few months have brought some nasty sand storms here in the desert and since our drag day is coming up tomorrow i though it would be a good idea to clean my k&n's.

i was in too much shock to think about getting pictures but there was at least 1-2 table spoons of debris locked in each filter!!!!!! the good news is that the top side of the air box was spotless. i don't know if i'm being over critical but my first thought was that there would have be NO WAY the foam filters i almost bought could have stopped this much crap.

my moral of the story is...if you live in areas with the potential for a lot of dust in the air, stick with k&n's.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I wish they'd make a set for the E63 already
Old 11-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Is there a set for the 55?
Also did you not just contradict your self?
Because I to live in a country where it gets dusty and the thought of that dust getting past filters has scared me, so thusly I stuck with the stock ones!
Am I been to paranoid?
Old 11-02-2007, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Zod
Is there a set for the 55?
Also did you not just contradict your self?
Because I to live in a country where it gets dusty and the thought of that dust getting past filters has scared me, so thusly I stuck with the stock ones!
Am I been to paranoid?
i don't know...did i? which part?

i think the stock ones are fine but unlike k&n's only flow optimum when absolutely clean/brand new.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by chiromikey
i don't know...did i? which part?

i think the stock ones are fine but unlike k&n's only flow optimum when absolutely clean/brand new.
My impression was the stock ones trapped more dirt due to design
And dirt getting passed the filters is not something we want!
So would cleaning them not work?
As you did the k&ns?

K&ns are less restricting meaning more flow, but also meaning possibility of more dirt
Did you notice the k&ns been an improvement ?
And does an improvement in this area warrant the performance for people living in dusty countries/ locations
Old 11-02-2007, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
Originally Posted by chiromikey
the last few months have brought some nasty sand storms here in the desert and since our drag day is coming up tomorrow i though it would be a good idea to clean my k&n's.

i was in too much shock to think about getting pictures but there was at least 1-2 table spoons of debris locked in each filter!!!!!! the good news is that the top side of the air box was spotless. i don't know if i'm being over critical but my first thought was that there would have be NO WAY the foam filters i almost bought could have stopped this much crap.

my moral of the story is...if you live in areas with the potential for a lot of dust in the air, stick with k&n's.

My god ...We have so much crap on the road lately...I need to put back my K&Ns
Old 11-02-2007, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Zod
As you did the k&ns?

K&ns are less restricting meaning more flow, but also meaning possibility of more dirt
And does an improvement in this area warrant the performance for people living in dusty countries/ locations
you can shake out the excess dirt from the oem filters but you can't "clean" them like you can k&n's. i can't imagine any filter doing any better job than these did...a LOT of dirt on the intake side but the tb side of the box was spotless.

i highly doubt anyone or any dyno is going to notice a difference between replacement air filters on a 55k motor. i personally like reusable filters because i don't have to spend money at the dealer every other month but like i said, i wouldn't be using a foam type in harsh conditions. that's just my opinion after this last filter check.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by Zod

More than the design, the paper media has much finer openings and traps smaller particulate.

So important on a supercharged motor, remember the supercharger is an air pump that has close, real close tolerances between rotor to rotor and rotors to housing, any foreign object will do damage and hurt your efficiency. The passages in our inter-cooler are small too, and always seem to attract a sticky dirty film that continues to build up over time. The cleaner the intake air the cleaner the IC.

Just so easy to replace with new.

As you did the k&ns?

Many posts on this subject, generally speaking the K&N will pass larger particulate and more of it.

The K&N will flow more air and be less restrictive than OEM.

My advise would be that if you live in an area that has dusty conditions you will need better filtration stick with OEM.

We have used K&Ns =(Walker Air sep)on boats for over 25 years, and in those applications we don't have any dust to consider, all we are interested in is, will it be OK if it gets wet? will it flow 140,000 CFM and will it keep nuts, bolts, screws, parts, rags, hands, my subway sandwich out of the turbo chargers? Yes they will.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
Installing K&Ns

I just received two new K&Ns but not sure how to remove the engine cover. Is it difficult?
Old 11-02-2007, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
So this thread reminded my that one of my other cars needs it's filter replaced and I decided to check my E while I was at it.

Ummmmmmm, wow!

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...53#post2484753
Old 11-02-2007, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
So this thread reminded my that one of my other cars needs it's filter replaced and I decided to check my E while I was at it.

Ummmmmmm, wow!

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...53#post2484753
I read the other thread. Factory "free" maintenance usually means virtually no maintenance. My bet is they never replaced the filters. Ever. But probably billed MBUSA for one when the submitted the "maintenance" work for reimbursement.