Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First 800 miles in the E63 - Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My First 800 miles in the E63 - Review

The subject: 08 Arctic White E63 AMG with pano roof, PII package, iPod integration, voice command, and blue tooth.

The driver: 36 year old dude in Seattle

The Review:

Well, I have grinded out 800 miles in my first 2 weeks of E63 ownership. Put simply, I love this car. It is a sophisticated beast, and I drive to work with a smile on my face every day. My initial thoughts:

The Good

The Power - Though I haven’t been able to unleash the beast much because I want to get some miles on the engine first, I have hit it hard a few times already. When I’m at a stop light, I feel like I’m in a jet about to go full throttle to take off. I definitely get pushed back in my seat when I hit the gas hard. The power jolt is similar to my SLK, which has a smaller 355HP engine but is a much lighter than my E. I’ve toyed with a few cars that have already tried to test me.

The Ride - A very smooth ride, and IMHO sports mode is not that rough. I’m coming from an SLK, which drove me crazy because the ride was so bone jarring.. The E63 is just so smooth. The cabin is a little louder than I expected (but not nearly as loud as my SLK), but not enough to be grating. Pure luxury inside. I could sleep in this car!

The Gadgets - I love the blue tooth, heated seats, adjustable suspension and car height features, garage door opener, and ambient lighting. The gadgets make my life easier, not harder. I have voice command, though I haven’t used much; but I expect I’ll tinker with it more when I have a free Sunday. The pano roof is easy to use and a nice feature.

The exterior - It just looks mean - period. The pano roof on white looks stunning. I’m surprised by the number of looks I get in the car, and I’ve already had a few folks in parking lots approach me and say, “#@$@#$@.......that thing is bad @#@#”. When I get the beast lowered, add some tint, and add the dubs, I will be feeling pretty good about the overall look of the car. The exhaust tone is perfect (though I wouldn’t mind if it was just a tad louder)

Things to work on:

Not many complaints, but a few. The HK stereo system is a joke, and consequently, I’m dropping quite a bit of dough to upgrade the sound system. The Nav is also disappointing and looks like a first generation early 90s system. My driver’s side window washer grates on the window wrong at its highest point. Not really sure what is going on there, but if it doesn’t work itself out I’ll have to get it checked out. Finally, the gas mileage is god awful, to the point where it might influence my driving behavior. I have never been concerned about gas mileage (don’t tell my liberal, tree hugging, green power fiance’ lol), but damn, you can literally see the gas gauge drop while you are driving. I'm not a Big Baller so the gas expense is a concern.

Future Mods:

Can’t really do much to the E63 in terms of mods now it seems, but I assume this will change in a year or so. The stereo system upgrade will be done by the end of the month. Next: (1) Renntech Lowering Module, (2) 20” rims, (3) cap replacement for the Mercedes emblem on hood.

Verdict:

After considering a BMW 335, M5, Audi S5, Audi S6, I’m so glad I settled on the E63 AMG. I just love this car, and I actually think i could hold this car for many years. It is a huge improvement over my SLK55 AMG, and it fits my personality like a glove. A+

Last edited by NateDawg; 11-18-2007 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:39 PM

old daily driver '07 E63(gone); new dd '14 750xi; 2013 Viper GTS
Glad to hear you like the car. Don't know what is taking the aftermarket so long..not even a lousy high performance air filter?? Anyway, good luck.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
congrats on the new car...yea gas mileage and AMG = oxymoron
Old 11-19-2007, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by blazinginder
congrats on the new car...yea gas mileage and AMG = oxymoron
that's not entirely true...i can still break 20mpg hwy in my modded e55.

congrats on the new car nate!
Old 11-19-2007, 03:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
I just broke 3000 miles this weekend. So here are some things you have to look forward to.

In M mode not being able to time your shifts from 1st to 2nd right. The rev limiter is severe. You think, "I am shifting at 6500 RPM, why did I hit the rev limiter"? All I can say is that the revs are climbing so fast I think the tach is laging the engine. I have been told that is not the case, but it sure seems like it.

You can't see the tach when turning.

The can of soda you put in the cup holder gets hot from the heat off the console.

Brake dust. Lots. Fortunatly the wheels are easy to clean.

Sunburn, from the Pano roof letting in all that sun!

The first hard turn you take with ESP off only because you wanted to show off straight line accel without the ESP kicking in and then forgot to turn it back on. My passenger thought I handled it perfect, but I almost s**t myself.

Smiles, Smiles, Smiles. See picture attached
Old 11-19-2007, 04:05 AM

E63
I'm at ~2900 miles on mines and wow, the break dust is crazy on this thing. I wash my car every 2 weeks and the rims need the most attention.

Turn ESP off on this thing and it's blast to drive. And if you can afford an AMG, I wouldn't have thought a few extra dollars at the pump would make a difference
Old 11-19-2007, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63, Audi S4, 1965 Goat
I agree about the stereo bit. What are you doing to upgrade your stereo? I want to upgrade to a Reus Audio system but wow spendy.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Goatspeed
I agree about the stereo bit. What are you doing to upgrade your stereo? I want to upgrade to a Reus Audio system but wow spendy.
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/218481-project-boom.html

Basically adding a 1300 watt JL Audio and Focal system. Will be done by the end of the month.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
E63 AMG, E60 M5
My E63 gets better gas mileage than my M5
Old 11-19-2007, 07:33 PM

2012 SLS AMG
E63 mileage....

Have had mine for some time now, nearing 11K miles and you can get good mileage especially on the highway w/ cruise. Drove 650 miles to PA and averaged 23 mpg. Drove 400+ miles to FL and averaged 24 mpg. Anyway, drive in comfort mode w/ cruise control is key. It IS very hard to keep your 'foot out of it' tho and then the gas mileage drops off terribly. Oh well, one of the joys of owning the car. Personally, I don't much care how much gas is but that's just me. The wife loves the car and won't stop driving it. Funny that she never fills it up. Guess I gotta get her something nice so I can have my car to myself....
Old 11-19-2007, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
I agree on the fuel milage. IF I drive to work in "C" (=Commute), I get 21.5MPG even with a little slow traffic.

I have been averaging about 17MPG even with a mix of "S"&"M".
Old 11-20-2007, 03:03 AM

E63
Wow, I get about 11-12 mpg, but then again, my office is only 5 miles away from home and driving through the streets of SF is not very fuel efficient but it's all good, I didn't buy the car for its fuel economy.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:35 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
according to my trip computer, my average for 3500 miles is 12.6. I guess I'm having too much fun! I do a lot of 0-80 runs.