Is my Belt Slipping?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 S65 AMG
Question Is my Belt Slipping?

I have felt what I think is my pulley slipping over perhaps the last 1-2 years.

I will be driving at 15-25mph and at about 1600 to 2000 rpms when I am gently accelerating (5-20% trottle) the car will buck as power will be totally lost for about 0.25 seconds and then the car reengages. Its very noticable to the point where my passengers will be like WTF is up with your driving...it causes their and my heads and entire body to go forward about 6 inches. It doesn't seem to be tranny related. I assume its the belt slipping?

Its a real PITA. Does anyone have similar experiences?
Old 12-24-2007, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Sounds more like rough SC clutch engagement.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I agree with Jrocket, that is just what it is. Mine does the exact same thing, but only when I have come to a complete stop and am accelerating back up. Once the jerk comes and the SC is engaged, then it is fine until it lets go again. If you think it is a pain in the butt now, try it with a larger pulley.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by jangy
I agree with Jrocket, that is just what it is. Mine does the exact same thing, but only when I have come to a complete stop and am accelerating back up. Once the jerk comes and the SC is engaged, then it is fine until it lets go again. If you think it is a pain in the butt now, try it with a larger pulley.
He has the ASP pulley already,main reason he's getting the rough engagement.

On colder days its more noticable,Drive the car in C mode to soften up the engagement when you have company in the car.I dont mind it,and have learned to get around it with modualting of the throttle.Not very hard to do....I like the fact knowing the SC clutch is hooked up solid and ready to go..
Old 12-25-2007, 02:04 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
you kidding me i love it!
driving slow coming to a turn and start to Accelerate a little... and BAM the jolt hits me and i must follow through .. even when i know i have to stop in a few meters!

ITs the beast coming alive, Embrace it!! or Thou shall suffer comfy sedan car syndrome!!!
Old 12-25-2007, 02:11 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Isaac... I have felt something similar to what you are talking about.. Belt slippage is more like a decrease in acceleration rate... RPMs are moving quick but the car is not.

The harsh bucking and total loss of power for a split second could be the electro-magnetic clutch itself that is wearing and not giving you proper contact.. It's the same sensation as having the throttle plate slammed shut on you while you are trying to accelerate and your head being thrown forward.

If this is what you are experiencing, i would have your S/C clutch inspected.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Mine is more the opposite. It is as if the clutch is engaging. Once it jerks and grabs, then i am good. I've even tried getting it rolling into second and have low revs before a punch and it is still smooth. I think it is just the clutch releasing and then locking. Mine also got very noticeable after the larger pulley.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
thanks guys for the advice. I will have it looked at. After installing the ASP pulley 3 years ago I could feel the load on the engine when the SC engaged...now its ridiculous.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Wish that clutch was cheaper Baller. Bout a grand if I remember correctly. 2003 means you are out of warranty. Wonder if they would bite on it with extended?

If they would, I would jump on it. Made a world of difference to the guy who bought Vadar's car locally here.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:22 AM

2003 E55 AMG
hey dont mean to hijack the thread but that pic in your sig is awesome jakpro, has anyone managed getting the wheels of the ground in an e55?
Old 12-26-2007, 12:24 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
HAHA!! I was gonna say the same thing. I've never seen one lift, and if it happens I'm sure it will bve at a track that is prepped big time. VIC55's ride used to look like that when he would hit it. I fell in love with mods the first time I saw that car.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:09 AM

06 e55 wagon
I'm facing the same issue on my E55 Wagon. The car is at HBL right now to have them look at it. I wasn't sure if it was the tranny slipping, bad adaptation, or belt slippage. But it's exactly as you describe with the jerking motion, hesitation, and then finally grabbing and going. Based on this thread, maybe it's the SC clutch engagement instead ? Also I was showing off the car on Christmas to a friend and we did a few full throttle spirited runs. A few times, the car felt like it had almost no power, like the SC wasn't engaging at all ... maybe this is further evidence of a SC clutch issue?

Did you get this resolved?

Thanks,
Josh

Originally Posted by e55 baller
I have felt what I think is my pulley slipping over perhaps the last 1-2 years.

I will be driving at 15-25mph and at about 1600 to 2000 rpms when I am gently accelerating (5-20% trottle) the car will buck as power will be totally lost for about 0.25 seconds and then the car reengages. Its very noticable to the point where my passengers will be like WTF is up with your driving...it causes their and my heads and entire body to go forward about 6 inches. It doesn't seem to be tranny related. I assume its the belt slipping?

Its a real PITA. Does anyone have similar experiences?
Old 12-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Almost a Member!

Silver wagon with Kleeman K1 and LSD
Josh,

Have you change your IC pump?
Old 12-28-2007, 12:45 PM

06 e55 wagon
Originally Posted by SWED E55-04
Josh,

Have you change your IC pump?
Not yet ... car is bone stock (as far as I know!) ... just picked it up last week (it's a 2006 with 19K miles).
Old 01-01-2008, 12:37 PM

06 e55 wagon
As expected, the dealer did nothing with my car. They are 'unable to reproduce.' What makes me think that if I was paying they would be happy to try harder and throw parts at it? ;-)

They also tried to tell me that the seats turning off and taking no further input on the lower touchpad is normal 'if you have dynamic mode turned on.' Sounds like BS to me ... I shouldn't have to turn my car off and on again to make the seats work.

As soon as I drove off I noticed the hesitation problem. Now I'm really annoyed and have no idea how to proceed since the dealer is useless. The car continues to have some sort of hiccup on acceleration, sometimes rather violent, especially around 1800-2200 RPMs in 2nd gear when trying to accelerate. The car starts to go, bucks and hesitates, then grabs and moves forward normally.

Should I take it somewhere else, live with it, or what?
Old 01-01-2008, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
Tell them to go for a ride with you.
I have a similar problem that I also had in my SL55.

After a quick WOT, and I brake hard my car lurches forward as Im trying to break and ****s up my breaking. It feels like the clutch disengaging I guess but its pretty dangerous since it horribly increases my breaking distance and I'm not prepared for it.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by joshd
As expected, the dealer did nothing with my car. They are 'unable to reproduce.' What makes me think that if I was paying they would be happy to try harder and throw parts at it? ;-)

They also tried to tell me that the seats turning off and taking no further input on the lower touchpad is normal 'if you have dynamic mode turned on.' Sounds like BS to me ... I shouldn't have to turn my car off and on again to make the seats work.

As soon as I drove off I noticed the hesitation problem. Now I'm really annoyed and have no idea how to proceed since the dealer is useless. The car continues to have some sort of hiccup on acceleration, sometimes rather violent, especially around 1800-2200 RPMs in 2nd gear when trying to accelerate. The car starts to go, bucks and hesitates, then grabs and moves forward normally.

Should I take it somewhere else, live with it, or what?
Anytime the dealer mentions unable to reproduce the problem, request a technician (preferably the shop forman) to ride with you so you can show them the problem.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:56 PM

CL65
You might try another dealer if you have one in your area. Also, maybe it is possible that the dealer noticed the pulley and is unwilling to fix something that they attribute to being caused by an aftermarket mod. Personally, with the modded pulley, I wouldn't make too big of a deal over this. I don't know how common it is, but I have read where people had their entire warranty revoked.

Is it possible the dealer may be doing you a favor. It seems to me that rough clutch engagement is a common side effect of larger pullies. If the Mercedes factory tech came by and checked while your car was being worked on, he could flag your warranty.I would think the dealer would want to do all the warranty work they can get away with.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:44 PM

06 e55 wagon
my car is bone stock ...

Originally Posted by waxking1
You might try another dealer if you have one in your area. Also, maybe it is possible that the dealer noticed the pulley and is unwilling to fix something that they attribute to being caused by an aftermarket mod. Personally, with the modded pulley, I wouldn't make too big of a deal over this. I don't know how common it is, but I have read where people had their entire warranty revoked.

Is it possible the dealer may be doing you a favor. It seems to me that rough clutch engagement is a common side effect of larger pullies. If the Mercedes factory tech came by and checked while your car was being worked on, he could flag your warranty.I would think the dealer would want to do all the warranty work they can get away with.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:13 AM

CL65
Sorry, I got you mixed up with the OP.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:41 AM

06 e55 wagon
Originally Posted by waxking1
Sorry, I got you mixed up with the OP.
Yeah I thread-jacked ... was really curious if the OP resolved his issue since it sounds very similar to mine based on the description.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have the same problem..

in S mode.. and certain load conditions it will be more noticeable than other times.

In C mode is practically non-existant.

If you apply for more pedal input during take off .. it tends to be less for some reason.

I have a new clutch installed 4 months ago.. so I know the majority of my problem is my ASP pulley size and 1 year old belt.

I never had this problem when I was stock.