Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tunning Horrific Nightmare

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A slow Tahoe!
Sold car after mod problems...How many??

I wonder how many members here sold there car after there "Tunning Nightmare", from what I've read it appears a least two. I'm very skeptical about doing a ECU tune on my car now, one reason I have no tuners in my area, and two is the obvious. I think I'll just stick to just exhaust and intake mods, I would love a pulley/tune but it's just not worth it.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:36 AM

2009 Volkswagen Routan
Originally Posted by housclass
where's adam...

according to your signature it's evotech.

strange...i thought adam and evotech were a first class operation???

john
HA!
Old 02-04-2008, 11:36 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by E55BKS
I wonder how many members here sold there car after there "Tunning Nightmare", from what I've read it appears a least two. I'm very skeptical about doing a ECU tune on my car now, one reason I have no tuners in my area, and two is the obvious. I think I'll just stick to just exhaust and intake mods, I would love a pulley/tune but it's just not worth it.
I did once. Not something I'm real proud of. I had either the first or second supercharged boxster in the country back when I was at UF...this was 1998/99ish.

I had an eaton kit on it, and the boost ended up being too much for the internals. By the time it had 16k mi, it needed an engine swap or a rebuild, and the blow-by was so bad it looked like I was fogging for mosquitos.

The shop didn't warn me about the risk, and somehow it never dawned on me that it wasn't a good idea to be a "tester". When the problems developed, they told me to screw off and obviously the original warranty was voided by the mods.

I ended up dumping several bottles of that "Stop-Smoke" stuff from the auto parts store into the crankcase and trading it on my first M-Roadster. The dealer told me they were going to auction it anyway, so I didn't feel as guilty as I probably should have. I took a bath on the car, but it would have been worse if I had fixed it first.

Since then, I have swapped parts for OEM equivalents, or maybe dropped in a K&N, but I have sworn off serious mods. The posts in this thread about not being a "guinnea pig" are spot-on.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:41 AM

2009 Volkswagen Routan
Originally Posted by BallzyS55
Ok I got a quick question. S 55 Vs S 65 ( both cars have ECUtune, the S 55 has 168 mm pulley, S65 also has TCU tune) according to tuners they said total mods for 55 = >60 rwhp, and S65 = 75+ rwhp , who should win. well tonight after super bowl, me and my cousin ran our cars on freeway, and guess what the 55 spanked the 65, I mean me and my cousin drove our cars, then did a car swap, the 55 always came on top. How could this be possible, where on other posts here, I read, that a tuned S65 runs somewhere in the 10s 1/4, stock in the 11s, I mean I know the 55 is tuned too, but I would assume that the 65 would still kick it's a$$. Please let me know, maybe I'm wrong. It looks like ee didn't only lag, lie, and damaged a front end, looks like the 65 is now slower than it used to be stock.
Maybe a traction issue? If the traction control on the 65 is cutting back on the fun, that would pretty much explain it.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by E55BKS
Just for the record my car was not sold. I miss my E55 and wouldn't wish this ordeal upon my enemy.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:12 PM

CLS55, S550
These type of problems are why RENNtech does not deal with Adam, Euroeliites, and EVOtech. Incompentence!
Old 02-04-2008, 12:22 PM

2003 CL55 stage 4 Renntech and 2006 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Bigbob
These type of problems are why RENNtech does not deal with Adam, Euroeliites, and EVOtech. Incompentence!
Waiting to see if someone from over your way would say something.

Karma kicked him right in his ****.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Good to see you on here Bob. For the record my car was extremely fast and problem free when it was a Renntech car. I should have stayed with the Renntech tune as I feel it is one of the safest out there. These guys R&D their mods and stand by their product.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I agree, Renntech and Kleemann are the safest mods out there for guys worried about car problems. I have had my Kleemann tune for years now and it's been just wonderful. I know many Renntech guys that would say the same thing.

PLUS the customer service is just killer with Klee. Cory is da bomb. Have no Renntech stuff on my car so can't comment on that aspect.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:31 PM

SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by groupB
Maybe a traction issue? If the traction control on the 65 is cutting back on the fun, that would pretty much explain it.
Maybe the 65 only had a 1/4 tank of gas......fill it up and run again and you will put 10 cars on him this time.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:33 PM

SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
I agree, Renntech and Kleemann are the safest mods out there for guys worried about car problems. I have had my Kleemann tune for years now and it's been just wonderful. I know many Renntech guys that would say the same thing.

PLUS the customer service is just killer with Klee. Cory is da bomb. Have no Renntech stuff on my car so can't comment on that aspect.
I agree pay the extra money these guys charge, the service alone is worth it. Cory is a true car guy and knows how to handle people and problems. He doesnt hide when there is a problem or charge you if the mistake is on his end. I will always stand by cory as I feel he is honest and doesnt try to push a mod to make a buck.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
IM not defending Adam Bob but dont come in here and throw stones, you are not without your own problems.....
Old 02-04-2008, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Ouch!
Old 02-04-2008, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 e55
Originally Posted by tkracing
Waiting to see if someone from over your way would say something.

Karma kicked him right in his ****.
???? from where??? him??
Old 02-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Cory is really good at what he does and is VERY helpful and knowledgeable
Old 02-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly

Agreed, I've been running K2 for few years and love the program..... props to Cory/Brandon.

Sleeper (Frank-I know your name) sorry to hear of your problems......never knew you had any issues other than showing your taillights to the competition.... haha. I do faintly remember a conversation with you about keeping your car Renn V but I know most of us that are power hungry are never satisfied.

OP- sorry for the initial doubt but you did not have much of a history and a couple of inconsistencies made me suspicious.............hope ya get it worked out.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
huh

Originally Posted by BallzyS55
Ok I got a quick question. S 55 Vs S 65 ( both cars have ECUtune, the S 55 has 168 mm pulley, S65 also has TCU tune) according to tuners they said total mods for 55 = >60 rwhp, and S65 = 75+ rwhp , who should win. well tonight after super bowl, me and my cousin ran our cars on freeway, and guess what the 55 spanked the 65, I mean me and my cousin drove our cars, then did a car swap, the 55 always came on top. How could this be possible, where on other posts here, I read, that a tuned S65 runs somewhere in the 10s 1/4, stock in the 11s, I mean I know the 55 is tuned too, but I would assume that the 65 would still kick it's a$$. Please let me know, maybe I'm wrong. It looks like ee didn't only lag, lie, and damaged a front end, looks like the 65 is now slower than it used to be stock.
I don't get it ... you come on here slamming EE, which you have the right to do, but then you are still using an EE ecu tune??? WTF? Honestly if I was that upset I would of had them return everything to stock. I am also shocked that you don't have a pre/post dyno ... adam always does that unless for some reason the customer doesn't want it.

BTW Renntech is safe power ... if you want more then you can try evotech and others ... but if you are going to be on the edge ... there definitely are more risks involved. One of the reasons why I run 100 octane ALL the time.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:14 PM

2004 E55
it's still beyond me why guys would keep problems on the hush hush.
I mean, WE, the owners, are supposed to be a community. We come here to share what worked for us and what didn't!! how could we help our fellow brothers is we do not tell them our experiences and warn them! i don't get the need to protect Sponsors. from the sounds of it, they might be great people, but if something goes wrong then we should say something about it.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:18 PM

SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by E55JAY
IM not defending Adam Bob but dont come in here and throw stones, you are not without your own problems.....
J whats up?
Old 02-04-2008, 01:19 PM

05 e55
Originally Posted by Bay Area User
I mean, WE, the owners, are supposed to be a community. We come here to share what worked for us and what didn't!! how could we help our fellow brothers is we do not tell them our experiences and warn them! i don't get the need to protect Sponsors. from the sounds of it, they might be great people, but if something goes wrong then we should say something about it.
plus 1
Old 02-04-2008, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by Bay Area User
I have been sayin that for a lil while now good post. I know about these keept secret storys and always said it was bull****. but it is not my buisness to post anyones personal stuff. you better belive I always post what is up good or bad. Adam and EE have always been top notch with me. My car has always run good other than heat issues. I will say the VRP cams are givin me trouble(like I have said before) but I think they just need to be tuned and I will be rockin again.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
I think the only post I would agree 100% in this thread is the one that said "the devil is in the details".

Even though I don't think OP is lying or exaggerating, his story must miss some details - whether intentional or not.

And when we hear the story from this tuner, his story as well likely misses some details - whether intentional or not.

One example that I could guess (or speculate ) is the tranny.
OP didn't know the exact condition of the tranny. All he knew was that it worked fine. He didn't know whether it was still in top notch condition or on its way out right before the TCU upgrade.

Like wise, the tuner also didn't know the exact condition of the tranny. I don't think he opened the tranny before the tune (otherwise, he would be if he continued to do TCU mod if he knew the tranny was almost toasted).

All OP knows and we know (from OP - we haven't heard from the tuner, remember?) is that the tranny was fine before the tune and broken during the tune. Period... no more information. The rest is just speculation.

And these speculations could worsen the actual issue.

So... let him take this offline w/ the tuners as only them know the details.... whether OP wants to extort something or gets some sort of compensation from the tuner, whether it's ethical to do or not, and whether the tuner gives it to them, it's their business not ours.

I just hope that once the issue has been resolved, OP kindly comes back and updates us. Like wise, if the tuner finds it appropriate to give updates, please do so.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
BTW, I understand all the controversy around this... with Adam/EE as the primary suspect.

But like Rocket, my experience w/ them has been good.... my car has been running fine (close to a year after pulley upgrade and close to 9 months after ECU upgrade).

So regardless the controversy, I still believe in them (at least until I got screwed also... LOL ) ... they may actually have screwed up OP's cars... but they also have quite a lot of satisfied customers and they still produce good products at reasonable price.... And what else is more valuable and believable than your own experience, right?

So FYI, I'm still doing cooling upgrade, brake replacement (pads + rotors) and major service w/ them later this month or early next month.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:47 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Sad story, sorry to hear about all your problems!

I have experienced similar issues and problems like this are never fun.

On a side note, I have worked with Adam at Euroelites and he is a VERY nice guy. He worked hard to try and get the issue worked out for me. All you folks saying Adam is a nice guy, I agree.

That is all!
Old 02-04-2008, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
Originally Posted by BiTurboAmg
J whats up?
First off he should have said "Hi im Bob Brady from RENNtech" and in Bobs defense the company he represents has been bad mouthed by EuroElites in the past. This thread in its essence is about customer service and RENNtechs house is made of glass.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tunning Horrific Nightmare