Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tunning Horrific Nightmare

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 01:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55 & 2002 SL55 (R129) Silver Arrow
Why do we choose the tuners we choose?....

We all choose our tuners for various reasons.
Some choose based on reputation, longevity of business, and customer service.
Others because the price is just too good to pass up.
I seriously find that there is nothing wrong with either choice.

Let me tell you why I stayed hush hush when things went bad for me.
It was for a few reasons:
It was because of pride, and partially because I felt guilty that I was cheating the system because I was paying less than others did. Heck, I procrastinated the faults for so long that by the time i was knee deep in it I was too ashamed to admit to my on-line buddies that I was wrong and got punked.
Its a lonely feeling, but we should end that feeling NOW!

Lets all learn a valuable lesson after this thread:
If things go from bad to worse when dealing with a tuner: SPEAK UP, PUT YOUR DAM PRIDE ASIDE, AND DO WHATS RIGHT!

Save your friends in this community from the same fate they may be heading toward and help put responsibility back in the lap of the tuner.

I am sorry that this happened to you and your cousin, and realy hope that the tuner involved steps up and does good by you.
But seriously BallzyS55, I applaud you for manning up and sharing this experience with this community.

This is exactly how we should all be with one another.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 S55 AMG, 03 SL55 AMG, 02 S430(sold), 05 F150, 06 Ranger, My baby 07 HD Rdking
Originally Posted by SLK55R
I don't get it ... you come on here slamming EE, which you have the right to do, but then you are still using an EE ecu tune??? WTF? Honestly if I was that upset I would of had them return everything to stock. I am also shocked that you don't have a pre/post dyno ... adam always does that unless for some reason the customer doesn't want it.

BTW Renntech is safe power ... if you want more then you can try evotech and others ... but if you are going to be on the edge ... there definitely are more risks involved. One of the reasons why I run 100 octane ALL the time.

What you don't get that we were not told about any dyno.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:01 PM

06 S55 AMG, 03 SL55 AMG, 02 S430(sold), 05 F150, 06 Ranger, My baby 07 HD Rdking
Zoink, the only reason you're hearing my side of the story, because ee, wont come here any say their's, I'm not stopping them, and second of all, I'm not saying Adam is a bad person, he's not, ee on the other hand don't know how to do prefessional business, and for you to say that I'm here to extort anyone, you're wrong my friend, I'm here because I'm not a kiss A$$, I had a negative experience, and I'm sharing it with everyone, as for the tranny, sc, were bad before or after, that's for you to wonder, and me to know, and for the fornt end, that's bs, if they towed the car multiple times, under their supervision, due to tuning faults, I will not sit here and chase my tail, to figuer out who did the damage, that's there responsibility, as for your positive experince that's great for you, but sure as hell it wasn't for me.

Last edited by BallzyS55; 02-04-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:05 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by zoink
I think the only post I would agree 100% in this thread is the one that said "the devil is in the details".

Even though I don't think OP is lying or exaggerating, his story must miss some details - whether intentional or not.

And when we hear the story from this tuner, his story as well likely misses some details - whether intentional or not.

One example that I could guess (or speculate ) is the tranny.
OP didn't know the exact condition of the tranny. All he knew was that it worked fine. He didn't know whether it was still in top notch condition or on its way out right before the TCU upgrade.

Like wise, the tuner also didn't know the exact condition of the tranny. I don't think he opened the tranny before the tune (otherwise, he would be if he continued to do TCU mod if he knew the tranny was almost toasted).

All OP knows and we know (from OP - we haven't heard from the tuner, remember?) is that the tranny was fine before the tune and broken during the tune. Period... no more information. The rest is just speculation.

And these speculations could worsen the actual issue.

So... let him take this offline w/ the tuners as only them know the details.... whether OP wants to extort something or gets some sort of compensation from the tuner, whether it's ethical to do or not, and whether the tuner gives it to them, it's their business not ours.

I just hope that once the issue has been resolved, OP kindly comes back and updates us. Like wise, if the tuner finds it appropriate to give updates, please do so.
Ya know, you'd have more of a point if we weren't talking about 18 month-old $140k "performance" cars with relatively low mileage. '06 S55s and S65s aren't an '86 CRX. They can take a decent amount of abuse, and in that amount of time there's very little that could have been done to kill both cars like that...especially considering that these were the first real mods...

Everybody keeps wanting to blame the OP, but come on...what are the odds that two cars that new could be wrecked and $%#@&!-up to such a degree that they both spontaneously combust right after each one was worked on by the same shop...

Gime a break. It's clearly the shop. Especially in light of the other stories that are now starting to come out.

Also, since EE managed to scam the dealer into replacing all the stuff they destroyed on Mercedes' warranty dime, what do you blame the ongoing power loss on then? All the parts the shop claimed were defective have now been replaced, so why is the OP's car still producing less power than even factory-spec, let alone the increase he was promised? And before everyone starts kvetching about the lack of a base dyno, who cares? He isn't even making FACTORY SPEC...

Then you've still got the front bumper that's screwed up on top of it. This shop ought to step up the plate and get the bumper fixed, and then either make the tuning right or give him his money back so he can go somewhere else. They clearly aren't doing either, since this thread has been going for awhile now...
Old 02-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by E55JAY
First off he should have said "Hi im Bob Brady from RENNtech" and in Bobs defense the company he represents has been bad mouthed by EuroElites in the past. This thread in its essence is about customer service and RENNtechs house is made of glass.....
Haha, you cant fool Jason!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 02:07 PM

I will stand by my story, cause I know what happened to us, if anyone comes here and starts attacking me, and bashing me, that's fine, it'll be their loss when the day comes, and something major goes wrong with their tune with ee, and they end up being left out in the cold. I'm here to share and am not scared to say, I GOT SCREWED BY EE.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:09 PM

CLS55, S550
Most know that Bigbob is Bob Brady, I make no secret of that.

RENNtech has been in business for over 20 years, when we stop dealing with some one there is a reason.

I have stated it.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Bigbob

RENNtech has been in business for over 20 years, when we stop dealing with some one there is a reason.

I have stated it.
Is there a thread in this forum discussing the departure of Oliver and what transpired between Renntech and Adam and Tony and the EE folks. what happened , was it one screw up was it many, seems every tuner on this board has at least some dissatisfied customers. Since ReNNTech is here and has now disclosed they stopped working with Adam , I would like to know what happened.

Mr. Ballz has let the cat out, it sure would be great to get some response from Adam. Anybody hear from Adam?

Would be great for everyone could stop posting in code
Old 02-04-2008, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600

I have stated it.
What kind of warranty does Renntech offer on their work against damage to a Mercedes that you've tuned under normal operation of the vehicle???
Old 02-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy

I have stated it.
Are you related to Tom?
Old 02-04-2008, 02:45 PM

CLS55, S550
No I am not related to Tom.

We stopped dealing with Adam, Euroelites and Evotech over a year ago, old business. Dinan is our main dealer in the Bay Area.

We do everything in house now, better results, better quality and reliability.

Regarding Warranty:

http://www.renntechmercedes.com/Warranty.pdf
Old 02-04-2008, 02:49 PM

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts
2006 E55 Wagon (RIP), 2019 E63S Wagon (Sold) 2023 AMG GT634S
There's a saying that the diesel truck guys have when they start modding their trucks - "I am my own warranty repair shop".

Anyone that takes their car to a tuner better be prepared to live that statement unless they have a CLEAR warranty about what a tuner will and will not cover. But again - the TUNER will cover - NOT the manufacturer. (And no - I am not talking about expecting your power seat warranty tro be voided because of a lowering module...)

M-B makes messing around with the ECU difficult for a reason - it's because the components are safely spec'd to make XXX HP. Not more. If you really want to start making more, and you start breaking stuff - you'd better be willing to pay.

I am pretty amazed that a dealer replaced several parts under warranty. If the OPs can't handle this type of expense, or are unwilling to do so, then they should not be "tuning" their cars. End of story.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Originally Posted by BallzyS55
Zoink, the only reason you're hearing my side of the story, because ee, wont come here any say their's, I'm not stopping them, and second of all, I'm not saying Adam is a bad person, he's not, ee on the other hand don't know how to do prefessional business, and for you to say that I'm here to extort anyone, you're wrong my friend, I'm here because I'm not a kiss A$$, I had a negative experience, and I'm sharing it with everyone, as for the tranny, sc, were bad before or after, that's for you to wonder, and me to know, and for the fornt end, that's bs, if they towed the car multiple times, under their supervision, due to tuning faults, I will not sit here and chase my tail, to figuer out who did the damage, that's there responsibility, as for your positive experince that's great for you, but sure as hell it wasn't for me.
I agree and I feel sorry for you... please don't get offended when I said "extort"... I put an "if" word in front of it... in other words, what you want to do next is completely up to you and none of my business (and none of other members' business, IMO).

Just to clarify.... I didn't say the S/C was bad before the tune... all I said you didn't know whether the S/C was on its way out due to mistreatment by previous owner or not. But I believe you stated the truth... the S/C was running fine before the tune and broken during or after the tune. And I think that's all you know and that's all we know and that's all the tuner knows. You didn't open the S/C and check the actual condition of S/C before the tune, did you? And I think neither did the tuner.

You assume (and it's a fair assumption) it's tuner's fault since you know it was fine before the tune. And the tuner assumes (and once again, it's a fair assumption) the S/C was already bad since they did everything on your car the same way as they've been doing on many cars w/o any S/C issue.

So it would continue to be your words against the tuner's words... and neither party would actually be 100% sure unless an independent expert analyzed the broken S/C and determined whether the damage was accumulated over the time and happened to blow up during or after the tune... or the damage was entirely due to the tune. I think this is MBUSA's job to determine whether they would do it under warranty. The fact is they did replace it so which assumption is more correct becomes less relevant.

But this shouldn't change your assessment on your trust of the tune. If you truly believe the S/C was top notch and the tune and only the tune broke it, why do you still keep the tune? Don't you think it would fail your S/C again sooner or later? If this happens, even if you're still under warranty, you would get a lot tougher time to get it replaced.

Similar logic for your cousin's tranny.

As for body damage, I have similar logic but it's undoubtedly tougher. It's completely your words against tuner's words. If both parties would like to end this, I think an independent expert should be hired and assess the cause of the damage, how long it was there, etc.

Regardless, like I said... what's more believable than your own experience? I got good experience w/ them so I would continue using their service. You got bad experience so you likely choose not to do business anymore w/ them. To me, the way a business steps up to customers' issues is one thing.... the quality of their work is another. If you don't get what I mean, just watch HOUSE, M.D. He's a complete jerk... but he's an awesome doctor.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CWW
Ya know, you'd have more of a point if we weren't talking about 18 month-old $140k "performance" cars with relatively low mileage. '06 S55s and S65s aren't an '86 CRX. They can take a decent amount of abuse, and in that amount of time there's very little that could have been done to kill both cars like that...especially considering that these were the first real mods...

Everybody keeps wanting to blame the OP, but come on...what are the odds that two cars that new could be wrecked and $%#@&!-up to such a degree that they both spontaneously combust right after each one was worked on by the same shop...

Gime a break. It's clearly the shop. Especially in light of the other stories that are now starting to come out.

Also, since EE managed to scam the dealer into replacing all the stuff they destroyed on Mercedes' warranty dime, what do you blame the ongoing power loss on then? All the parts the shop claimed were defective have now been replaced, so why is the OP's car still producing less power than even factory-spec, let alone the increase he was promised? And before everyone starts kvetching about the lack of a base dyno, who cares? He isn't even making FACTORY SPEC...

Then you've still got the front bumper that's screwed up on top of it. This shop ought to step up the plate and get the bumper fixed, and then either make the tuning right or give him his money back so he can go somewhere else. They clearly aren't doing either, since this thread has been going for awhile now...
I didn't say EE wasn't screwed up... I don't know the details. So I neither can say it was EE's fault nor can I say OP was exaggerating. I just tossed out some possibilities and stated my experience w/ EE. What's wrong w/ that?

See my post above... do you find I was biased towards OP or EE? I don't think so... (at least I tried ). If we really want to know the truth just for the sake of it, may be we should all chip in and hire independent experts to analyze the broken S/C and the broken tranny, and put an end in this. The outcome would be clear... either the damage was accumulated over the time or all happened in a short period of time. Or.. may be something else, like there were some rats managed to go into the S/C.

As for body damage, once again... I tried to be neutral. I tried to put myself on OP's shoes... and yes, I understand where he came from. Then, I tried to put myself on tuner's shoes... and yes, I understand where he came from also. But without details or without assessment from independent experts, we don't know which side is right, do we?
Old 02-04-2008, 03:10 PM

07 SL550; C32 (sold)
if you car is damaged at the dealer and they happen to outsource the work to another individual that damaged it, i would expect the dealer to own up to it and be responsible for any claims that needs to be made. i shouldn't have to run around filling out claim forms, etc.

same principle w/ the bumper. if what happened is true, i shouldn't have to chase the towing company and waste my time. for some people, time is money and some people just don't have the time.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:19 PM

07 SL550; C32 (sold)
Originally Posted by BallzyS55
given what has transpired, i'm sure he'll try to make things right. it might not be perfect, but let's see what the outcome is. mistakes happen. owning up to it is what sets a business apart from another and hopefully they'll do that.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CWW

Just to support my own point that all we (OP & tuner excluded) do here are speculating... I'm gonna put one last post in this thread (unless I'm called out :p ).

How do you know that the S65 was making factory spec numbers? Did OP's cousin dyno the car before? How about if indeed the S65 initially made 200 less than factory specs and now after the tune it makes only 100 less? If you knew this, you would have had different opinion, wouldn't you?

Now... putting myself against myself, I'd give a counter argument:
No, OP didn't dyno the car but he said (let's assume if he indeed said) the S65 whooped his S55 a$$ on one occasion as healthy S65 should. So the S65 should've put good numbers before the tune.

And changing side again:
OK... but that race happened some time before the S65 was dropped off at tuner's place. It could have been broken after the race but before the drop off, which means it was broken before it was put on tuner's hands. So it wasn't tuner's fault.

And the arguments continue...

See my point? One's words against another one's words.... one's speculation against another one's speculation. It'll never end.

I think I've been trying hard enough to get my points acrossed.... and keep everything objective. But may be my english is not good enough
Old 02-04-2008, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
given what has transpired, i'm sure he'll try to make things right.
I'd have to bet my money on 100% nothing being done after this little 5+ page thread.

Sure to cost EE quite a bit of money in future business. Bet this will end up going to court. Least small claims.

This is in Shasta CA, not sure bout EE's part of CA.

The Small Claims court has a monetary limit, called a jurisdictional limit, on the amount of money damages that can be claimed. The most "a natural person" can ask for is $7,500; however, you are limited to filing no more than two claims anywhere in the State of California for over $2,500 in one calendar year. You may file an unlimited amount of claims for $2,500 or less. Corporations and other entities (such as government entities) cannot ask for more than $5,000.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
in all of your 22 posts in 3 years that would be a big assumption
Old 02-04-2008, 03:46 PM

SL65 AMG
First off he should have said "Hi im Bob Brady from RENNtech" and in Bobs defense the company he represents has been bad mouthed by EuroElites in the past. This thread in its essence is about customer service and RENNtechs house is made of glass.....
I was just saying HI
Old 02-04-2008, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
in all of your 22 posts in 3 years that would be a big assumption
Here is where most of them occur..

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...802&highlight=

Guess Ima gunna do my own wrenching like Jrocket taught me!
Old 02-04-2008, 03:52 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by zoink
Just to support my own point that all we (OP & tuner excluded) do here are speculating... I'm gonna put one last post in this thread (unless I'm called out :p ).

How do you know that the S65 was making factory spec numbers? Did OP's cousin dyno the car before? How about if indeed the S65 initially made 200 less than factory specs and now after the tune it makes only 100 less? If you knew this, you would have had different opinion, wouldn't you?

Now... putting myself against myself, I'd give a counter argument:
No, OP didn't dyno the car but he said (let's assume if he indeed said) the S65 whooped his S55 a$$ on one occasion as healthy S65 should. So the S65 should've put good numbers before the tune.

And changing side again:
OK... but that race happened some time before the S65 was dropped off at tuner's place. It could have been broken after the race but before the drop off, which means it was broken before it was put on tuner's hands. So it wasn't tuner's fault.

And the arguments continue...

See my point? One's words against another one's words.... one's speculation against another one's speculation. It'll never end.

I think I've been trying hard enough to get my points acrossed.... and keep everything objective. But may be my english is not good enough
Well ya, I mean...I have to agree with you that the OP might have a slightly stronger argument if he had dyno'd the car before it went to EE... But I don't think that's really necessary for the OP to recover his money.

I think we can be reasonably certain that mercedes probably isn't letting cars out of the factory that vary from other examples of the same model by 100hp+, and in order for a 65 to get smoked by a 55 as badly as the OP described, that's the kind of power loss you'd be looking at. The 65 has 604 crank hp stock and the 55 has 493 crank hp stock, with most other things between them being relatively equal.

I get that some cars are stronger than others right out of the wrapper, but not by margins that large... Plus, the stock ttV12 is underrated if anything. I find it a lot more likely that the OP is being truthful and that the shop's handiwork is negatively affecting the car's performance.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
Originally Posted by BiTurboAmg
I was just saying HI
my bad Jude, wasup homie
Old 02-04-2008, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CWW
I think we can be reasonably certain that mercedes probably isn't letting cars out of the factory that vary from other examples of the same model by 100hp+, and in order for a 65 to get smoked by a 55 as badly as the OP described, that's the kind of power loss you'd be looking at. The 65 has 604 crank hp stock and the 55 has 493 crank hp stock, with most other things between them being relatively equal.

I get that some cars are stronger than others right out of the wrapper, but not by margins that large... Plus, the stock ttV12 is underrated if anything. I find it a lot more likely that the OP is being truthful and that the shop's handiwork is negatively affecting the car's performance.
LOL... I have an itch to reply and have to break my promise... at least once LOL.

Just want to re-emphasize my point:
See, your statement above is 10000% correct if your assumption is correct. What's your assumption? The S65 in question is healthy, hence, produce close to factory specs numbers. But the truth, you didn't even try OP cousin's S65 to validate your assumption. They don't even have baseline dyno to validate your assumption. In other words, your assumption is not validated, hence, your statement above is just another speculation - or in better terms, another assumption.

OP and his cousin should have a better assessment than you... and as one may expect, OP and his cousin would say that they are certain the S65 was healthy prior to tuning. But the fact is we don't know how their assessment was based on. No dyno = no credible fact (don't mean that dyno means everything - it's just one more credible data point).

I'm not saying that OP or his cousin is lying... I'm just saying that "fast", hence, "healthy" is very subjective and relative. W/o any data on paper that supports or against it, all we could do is speculate.

So my point is NOT whose fault it is. My point is NOT whether OP is being truthful or not. My point is NOT whether OP has the right to sue or not. My point is we could continue speculate and add more fuel to the already wild fire.... it will never end. Unless of course, most members here are bored... as I honestly find myself visit the forum more if there are some sort of fightings or bashings or ownage. LOL
Old 02-04-2008, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
No I am not related to Tom.

We stopped dealing with Adam, Euroelites and Evotech over a year ago, old business. Dinan is our main dealer in the Bay Area.

We do everything in house now, better results, better quality and reliability.

Regarding Warranty:

http://www.renntechmercedes.com/Warranty.pdf
Sounds reasonable. Are your ECU/TCU upgrades for an S600 like mine done in such a fashion that if I drive my car under normal conditions and not taking it to the drag strips and racing it time after time, doing burnouts , etc, that it should be just fine?? I would think so. I got mine Rennteched a year ago because I wanted to make sure I was capable of getting the most out of my engine in time of need and not for show.
I have had zero troubles with my car but I hope that over years of use that the upgrades don't slowly damage the tranny, supports, etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tunning Horrific Nightmare