so i finally got my 63 buttttttt......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 p30 e63
so i finally got my 63 buttttttt......

sorry i dont have pics yet , but i need some help !!

i found an 07 e63 with the 030 which btw is impossible to find on a pre owned car, its irdium / blk and i love her !!

ok heres the story , so im searching auto trader and i come across this car
2007 with 9500 miles 030 pkg

i should also let you know that the car was at a volkswagen dealer !! when i asked the sales man what the deal was he says well this customer has two kids in high school and he traded it for two jetta's

i live in ny and the car is in maryland so i check the car fax and it shows all is good but that the brakes were replaced at 7600 miles !! im like ok i guess it has new brakes !! so finally fri comes i go to pick it up and i inspect the car and test drive it and all seems great , i finish the paperwork and get back on my trip for apporx a 300 miles trip back home..

now when i test drove it i only went about 50ish or so and i was driving it pretty nice. ok so i get on the hwy and now im like lets see what this baby's got take her up to about a 100 or so and as traffic was approaching rapidly i applied the brakes and THE WHOLE ENTIRE CAR STARTS SHAKING VIOLENTLY !! im like wtf and as i start to get around 50 it goes away ! i drive all the way home like this and i go strait to my friend shop and let him drive it to give me confirmation as to what i already know !! he confirms the rotors are all warped !!

sat mornin i take the car to my local merc dealer have them take a look they say the brakes are shot and their $3800.00 to replace !!

i have the s/a look up the vin and get this which i dont get at all , at 3200 all four brakes and rotors were replaced , then again at 7600 they were done again which the carfax confirms and now at 9500 less than 2000 miles later they're shot again !! it just doesnt add up !! not to mention that the brakes on this car are huge what would it take to warp them ??

3 full brake jobs in 9500 miles what the hell is goiing on here ??

just a little while ago i call the guy i bought the car from and tell him the story , and hes like well we checked it out here and it passed maryland state inspec and when we gave it to you it was fine so your out of luck !!

what the hell should i do ?? did i buy a lemon ?? am i screwed for almost 4k in brake job !!

also i gave him a 3k dep on my amex platinum , i can akways call amex and tell them they sold me a faulty product !!

pls help

neil. sorry for the long post but i dunno what else to do !!
Old 08-18-2008, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Originally Posted by li-m5
he confirms the rotors are all warped !!

sat mornin i take the car to my local merc dealer have them take a look they say the brakes are shot and their $3800.00 to replace !!
It should be damn near impossible to do this to the brakes on an E63. I would ask the dealer what conditions are necessary to warp those rotors. This car should be able to run laps on a track all day and not warp the rotors. Something is very odd. How worn are the pads? Do they show significant wear? Are the disks the correct disks for the 030 (front only) with the aluminum hats?

Time to call MBUSA.

Also, ask them to check the records to see that the differential oil was changed at <3000miles. If the differential oil was not changed, MB should do this for free as it is complimentary on the first 1500-3000mi visit. This change is pricy.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
Well I have an 07 with P030 brakes and I am on my 3rd set in 21k miles. First set I have had shake from high speed stopping and sounded like a mach truck stopping so MB replaced all four like at 12k miles as a courtesy(according to them). And recently at 20k miles, while trying to diagnose a problem with squeak again, they thought brakes again and replaced all 4 again. Wasn't the brakes though but were new again at 20k miles. In my case it turned out to be the driver side rear wheel bearing squeaking.
MY brakes still squeak, classic MB I guess. Since my first set of Rotors and pads I have not experienced that shaking problem though.

Sorry I cant really help. Just sharing my frustrations with this car. Love it, but spends more time in the shop than any other car I have ever had!

FYI- MB Has picked up the charges on all sets of brakes put on my car. You should goto another dealer. THis should be paid by MB

Last edited by Fr33kn63; 08-18-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Jon is right about how hard it is to warp our rotors. I have 12,000 miles on mine, and I've been driving it super aggressively with no problems at all. In fact, 90% of those miles were track miles (drag and road course) including from and to the track of course. Something is definitely not right here if the brakes are going bad every 2000 miles.
There's another possibility why it was changed before: the E63 is famous for very squeaky brakes, and so so the dealer may have changed the brakes a couple of times to try to get rid of those squeaks. Then maybe after the car was sold to the dealership, they tried to fix it themselves, but ended-up making it worse

Last edited by MB_Forever; 08-18-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 p30 e63
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
Something is very odd.

How worn are the pads?

Do they show significant wear?

Are the disks the correct disks for the 030 (front only) with the aluminum hats?

If the differential oil was not changed, MB should do this for free as it is complimentary on the first 1500-3000mi .
on sat i took the car to the wheel shop to have them rebalanced just to make sure and while they were off the car i got my head in there(wheelwell) and they(brakes) look brand new !!

pads look very meaty like new aswell , not much wear at all !!

yup discs def are the ones from the 030 !!

when they pulled the vin it didnt show a rear diff fluid change !!

guess im gonna have to try a different dealer , cause this one was just like nope not covered , he didnt even test drive the car !!

neil
Old 08-18-2008, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 JDM
sorry for the long post but i dunno what else to do !!
1) Get your money back.
2) Purchase lightly used M5 or M6.
3) Beg for forgiveness from the BMW M guys.

Just kidding ofcourse, but I hope it all works out for you! Good Luck!!
Old 08-18-2008, 05:00 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
You can warp any rotor if you're not careful. None of them are immune to it, it all just depends on your driving style. I've had bigger brakes than the AMGs that come on these W211s, and they were on a much lighter car to boot, and I still managed to warp them through my own stupid driving. Any time you have to really stand on the brake pedal to shave off more than about 50mph-60mph all at one time, and then the car isn't driven for several minutes afterwards as a cool-down period, then the rotors are probably going to warp.

Now I will admit, I did once have a set of rotors that were warped from the minute I got them, but I didn't even get halfway home before I turned the car around and went back to the BMW dealer to ***** at them, and after making the tech and service manager ride with me they replaced them at no charge. It would have been a totally different story if I hadn't gone less than a mile before I brought it back, though. Usually they will tell you to pound sand, because rotors are a "wear and tear" item.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:03 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Wow...

I just realized that this board auto-edited out the word for "female dog", which I used in lieu of "to complain" in my previous post. That's pretty retarded. Call me old-fashioned, but if a word is in the Webster's dictionary then it shouldn't be banned, right?
Old 08-18-2008, 05:11 PM

'04 E55; '03 E500 Sport
Originally Posted by CWW
You can warp any rotor if you're not careful. None of them are immune to it, it all just depends on your driving style..... Any time you have to really stand on the brake pedal to shave off more than about 50mph-60mph all at one time, and then the car isn't driven for several minutes afterwards as a cool-down period, then the rotors are probably going to warp.
Bingo! If the rotors are not allowed to cool off, in motion, after a hard use, they can easily warp when stopped/parked. I've warped rotors on both street and track cars before I learned to cool them down by a slow lap or a mile of street driving with only easy brake use. And NEVER use a parking brake on a hot rotor - guaranteed to warp the rear rotors!

Agreed that they should not warp so easily, these are manhole cover sized discs , but this is a weighty car and you never know - perhaps the previous owner lived at the bottom of a steep hill and drove like a bandit (or one of those two teenagers did. )
Old 08-18-2008, 05:13 PM

2006 M5
Originally Posted by J 2OOI
1) Get your money back.

LOL!

What's up Neil!! Sorry to hear about your brakes man and hope you get it sorted out quickly so you can enjoy that new Beast.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:37 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
Originally Posted by CWW
Wow...

I just realized that this board auto-edited out the word for "female dog", which I used in lieu of "to complain" in my previous post. That's pretty retarded. Call me old-fashioned, but if a word is in the Webster's dictionary then it shouldn't be banned, right?
That is pretty lame, I was trying to figure out what five letter curse word I was missing, as ***** is not a curse word, it is as mentioned a female dog. If I said my ***** was in heat, that would mean that my dog was ready to mate, and I think that even using it as a proxy for complaining, it is a commonly used word that is in both dictionaries and national television. Then again, so is ***, and they will probably edit that too, even though I do have a donkey.

By the way, they replaced my front rotors and pads at 7500 for warping as a "courtesy" Z
Old 08-18-2008, 08:58 PM

2007 Porsche 997 TT
Originally Posted by J 2OOI
1) Get your money back.

Opt for Number 3, Neil...you ******* Serves you right j/k dude. That totally sucks. Wish I could see it in person. Good luck, hope you getting sorted quick.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:36 PM

2008 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG, 2017 Porsche Macan S
Wow...that's a *****. I have almost 7K on the ODO, and no brake problems.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:46 AM

2006 E55
Hey Neil. I recently jumped ship from the M5 into the MB world. Sorry you are having problems with your new ride. I would try another dealer. Ask around if anyone in your area knows a really good SA. Make an appointment with him, slip him some $$$, and explain your situation. Hopefully they will come through for you. Good luck......
Old 08-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 p30 e63
thnx guys !!

made an app with a diff dealer for tommorrow morn !! lets see what happens !!

sound like its just the 030 pkg brakes that are warping !! which is total horse crapp , they're supposed to be upg'd = better than the standard !!

on another note last nite after the gym im cruising around local and i come across this beanbagg at the lite next to me i could hardly see what he was drivin but i sure heard it !! so the lite changes and i here him 1/4 throttle and i here the whine from the supercharger then he punches it , and so do i , i walked this guy by 3+ cars in the 1/2 mile or so !!

so i slow and wait , and he goes again from like a 30 mph roll and its even worse this time since i was ready !! now he pulls up next to me and its a new
mustang with a huge buldging hood and it says 427 cobra on the side , he looks over and hes like what you got , i respond strait 8 cyl , he's like bs , bs, bs he was gettin pissed im like dude really i do !! he was astounded by the beating i gave him , he's like whattya got turbo,supercharger,nos (total beanbagg) (typical long island guy w a mustang) so the lite turns and he gasses again i left him so far behind this time that we never saw each other again !!

i must say that im really impressed with the way this animal gets off the line , its just squats and its gone !! my m5 would be spinning 3 gears

fun 1st kill !! its always fun but when you catch a beanbagg its that much better !!

anyway thats my story for the day !!

neil
Old 08-19-2008, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sound like its just the 030 pkg brakes that are warping !! which is total horse crapp , they're supposed to be upg'd = better than the standard !!
They are better. The aluminum hats reduce unsprung weight and rotational inertia. They also reduce heat transfer to the hub keeping the hub cooler. BUTTTT!!!! The disks will get hotter as a result. It was also pointed out to me by the guys at evosport that the left and right rotor are the same part number. I checked my car and sure enough they are. That means the design does not optimize the cooling. When I end up replacing my rotors I will certainly consider the evosport product.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the E63 P30 package does NOT come with any upgraded brakes over the regular E63

I've looked on Mercedes' website and AMG website, and non of them mention anything about brakes. The CLS63 and C63 do have an upgrade, but not the E63
Old 08-19-2008, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the E63 P30 package does NOT come with any upgraded brakes over the regular E63

I've looked on Mercedes' website and AMG website, and non of them mention anything about brakes. The CLS63 and C63 do have an upgrade, but not the E63
Mo, I think you are right. The brake upgrade for the E63 is a seperate package.

I went looking too. mercedes-amg.com now has 3 options: English, Deutsch, and USA. The USA does not have the performance studio, but it did have the below. Gotta be an error, again. Just like the SL65 with the MCT 7 speed on mbusa.com.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
That's what I was thinking because I checked multiple times and a while back and there was never a mention of upgraded brakes for the P30 on the E63.

Here is the info from the AMG website:

And here is the details section:

Last edited by MB_Forever; 08-19-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:12 PM

Interlagos Blue 06 M5
If it was a Bimmer, those rotors would be replaced for FREE.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 p30 e63
wait so what does this mean ??

does anyone have a pic of the standard brakes on the e63 ??

cause i know for a fact that i have a 2 piece rotor with the graphite look almost ceramic looking , with the brass or whatever pins all the way around holding it in place !!

also the dealer is quoting $920 per rotor !! these can't be the same as the e63 without the 030 pkg can it

i will have pics up tomorrow afternoon , got the camera with pics just left the cable !!

neil
Old 08-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 p30 e63
Originally Posted by mosesgolf
If it was a Bimmer, those rotors would be replaced for FREE.

yeah thnx for reminding me !! btw absolutely no regrets here though !!
Old 08-19-2008, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Good luck, Neil. Hope it gets fixed OK. If you do not have better luck with this dealer, send me a PM. My SA is a pretty good guy.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There is definitely some inconsistency on the info at amg.

The "ENGLISH" version of the site with the "Performance Studio" quotes the P30 package as having 390mm disks. This is over 15inches. The "Deutsch" version of the site has no mention of upgraded brakes for the P30. I put this info on the PL so we can see what AMG in the US says.

The "USA" version of the site has no "Performance Studio"
Old 08-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 p30 e63
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
"Performance Studio" quotes the P30 package as having 390mm disks. This is over 15inches. "

pretty sure thats what i have !! these things are huge , taking up most of the inside of the wheel !!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: so i finally got my 63 buttttttt......