New To Me 63 -- Exhaust seems a bit..... soft

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
New To Me 63 -- Exhaust seems a bit..... soft

Now, I have driven/heard multiple 63 amg cars before (all models)
be them, used w 25k miles, or next to new w 100mi - 2000mi....

I am in another state, so really have no basis for comparison at the moment,
but just picked up my 07 e63 w 30k miles.... sold e55 to friend....
anyways, the car was a one-owner, lady driven, 100% service records at dealership, all stock never modified car, etc

The exhaust just doesn't seem "all there"
Of course w me, sometimes I tend to overanalyze and "create" problems in my brain and obsess over these....
It's louder than my 55 stock was, and maybe I was a bit too hyped up for the car and had too high of expectations on the louder exhaust note,
but is it possible to have this happen (maybe because of "weak" driving style, etc?)
Is there anything could be added/removed to muffle exhaust (maybe she didn't like it??)
Secondly, does the "sneaky ECU reset" work on 63's? I did it......
Car looks & drives great, brakes, engine, etc.....
I am hoping my driving style will re-learn the tranny/ecu and also maybe cause exhaust to change -- w time (from new to 30k miles) does the exhaust typically stay the same, get louder, or soften up?

If I brought it to a muffler shop or dealer, what could I have them look at?
---For instance, when the car is running, I can stick my head by the exhaust tips and cannot really tell the car is even running, it is that quiet at idle. Even at 6000rpm I feel there should be more presence on the naturally aspirated motor......

Had a PPI done by independent..... no CEL lights, PERFECT service history (no mechanical problems) etc.....
Thanks for any advice....
Old 02-14-2009, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Mini Cooper Clubman S
In terms of the sneaky ECU reset, that should work on almost all cars that are drive by wire, including yours, but the only way to be sure is try it and see.

A popular option to give the exhaust a more satisfying tone without going over the top is a resonator delete, if you go to a muffler shop they should be able to do this easily, normally for less than or around $100, and most people agree that it is one of the best value for money mods you can do in terms of sound.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Enjoy your car.

The TCU adjusts fairly quickly. AMG said one lap of a track will adjust the tranny.

As for exhaust, sounds great to me.

Except when law enforcement is around.

Got in trouble with some low traction and chirping tires. "The man" did have probable cause, but damn, a Ford SHO would have been quieter.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I do plan on doing the Resonator delete, and possibly more to the exhaust -- however before I start "tearing" into the mechanicals, I would like to make sure my car is acting correctly, starting with a good Base/Foundation (so to speak)

And for some reason, this car doesn't remind me of all the other 63's I have been around (purely memory at this point)
I really don't know what level or basis to use for any type of comparison......
Thanks again
Old 02-14-2009, 10:25 AM

2009 Mini Cooper Clubman S
If its really bothering you I would go to a dealership that has an E63 and ask them if you can compare the exhaust sounds. Just have both cars running and walk back and forth see if either is louder, although I would imagine that its all in your head... no offense
Old 02-14-2009, 01:27 PM

08 CLS63
Just do a resonator delete. Cheap, easy, and makes the exhaust more alive.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:55 PM

2024 G63, 2021 X7M50i
I did the resonator delete on my 63 and initially was quite pleased until I drove my father's SL63 and new C63! The exhaust note on both cars make my car with the resonator delete sound like a hybrid that hasn't started the engine in comparison! I cannot believe how aggressive both cars sound compared to mine, trust me a considerable difference.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 02-18-2009, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mprsev
I did the resonator delete on my 63 and initially was quite pleased until I drove my father's SL63 and new C63! The exhaust note on both cars make my car with the resonator delete sound like a hybrid that hasn't started the engine in comparison! I cannot believe how aggressive both cars sound compared to mine, trust me a considerable difference.

Sure have..... the E doesn't compare......
Old 02-18-2009, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55

I'm gonna say that is due to different muffler design. The muffler has a big affect on the sound of the car.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
yeah I had noticed a difference in exhaust notes as well. THats why I went back and changed most of it. Right off the primary cats I went to 3" SS pipes to an X-pipe in the location of the secondary cats(which i deleted) and then straight to the stock mufflers(deleted resonator). Really woke up the exhaust note. I have heard mine somewhat recently next to a stock c63 and think mine sounds more agressive now.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^^^^
Any check engine light - Because of sec. cats delete ?
Old 02-18-2009, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by jpohl402
^^^^
Should only get CELs from primary cat deletes.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 4matic
now the guy that can make an E63 sound like the new C63 would have the winning setup in my book! thats the sound that i would be after if i had an E63...
Old 02-18-2009, 11:29 PM

2024 G63, 2021 X7M50i
Yes, the C63 and SL63 sound uncapped in comparison.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:43 AM

'12 E350 Coupe (3rd Benz)
Yes, the C63 and SL63 sound uncapped in comparison.
The 09 E and CLS are the same as the C and SL =[ we just missed the boat.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:30 AM

2012 E350 4matic
so the 09 E sounds diffent then the 08 E? wow. that sucks. i love the sound of the new SL and C63.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:38 PM

2024 G63, 2021 X7M50i
I have to believe there is something we can do to our existing W211 E63 exhaust to rival that of the SL63 and C63 without having to go aftermarket or chop everything off and having the dreaded exhaust drone.

So I did the x-pipe resonator delete and was temporarily happy but there has to be something else. Remove secondary cats?? With this throw a CEL? Will I have emissions problems?
Old 02-19-2009, 07:45 PM

2012 E350 4matic
i agree with you mprsev. im sure there is something that can be done. we just need the MAGIC formula!
Old 02-19-2009, 08:32 PM

old daily driver '07 E63(gone); new dd '14 750xi; 2013 Viper GTS
Originally Posted by Fr33kn63
yeah I had noticed a difference in exhaust notes as well. THats why I went back and changed most of it. Right off the primary cats I went to 3" SS pipes to an X-pipe in the location of the secondary cats(which i deleted) and then straight to the stock mufflers(deleted resonator). Really woke up the exhaust note. I have heard mine somewhat recently next to a stock c63 and think mine sounds more agressive now.
Who did the exhaust work for you?
Old 02-25-2009, 04:36 AM

Mercedes,Porsche etc

the reasons the SL and C63 sound better and more sporty in exhaust is simple..

mercedes designed them as SPORTS cars, and as such, the SL and C 63 have shorter exhausts pipe distances, the resonators
and mufflers have LESS baffles and sound deadening in them..
and are slightly Smaller all of which make them LOUDER

in the sedans, merc makes the pipes as longer slightly
the resonators and mufflers have more baffles and sound deadening in them.. and are slightly larger which make them QUIETER

a smaller 4x6 muffler with smaller resonator on a sports car, with
shorter tubing, and less baffles and chambers and less sound deadening
material, will sound alot different and louder than

on the same engine, with a sedan with longer pipes, larger 6 x9 muffler
and larger resonator both with more sound deadening material

if you want to make you car sound more like the SL and C 63,
simply get a smaller cat, and bullet resonator, and use a smaller AMG muffler like the C 63

although it will sound more like the SL,, the newer C 63 also has engine exhaust parts that are different, like the port shapes, and manifold
and cats thought so that is why it also sounds so different..

but the above will help get you in the right direction at least

Last edited by storm; 02-25-2009 at 04:43 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:03 PM

2024 G63, 2021 X7M50i
^^^ Thanks Storm!

Yes, I agree, I am trying to compare apples to oranges just because the three cars have the same motor. I just wish the E63 didn't get shafted on some of the nice things the other lines received, including the W204 which arguably is supposed to be the cheaper line.

I know I can go aftermarket exhaust, but for the price and simply sound I don't think it is worth it for me.

You bring up an interesting option of possibly swapping the C63 mufflers for mine and maybe removing one of the cats (I already removed resonator with x-pipe).

I wonder if there are any C63 owners selling their factory exhaust???
Old 02-25-2009, 05:07 PM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
^^^ Thanks Storm!

Yes, I agree, I am trying to compare apples to oranges just because the three cars have the same motor. I just wish the E63 didn't get shafted on some of the nice things the other lines received, including the W204 which arguably is supposed to be the cheaper line.

I know I can go aftermarket exhaust, but for the price and simply sound I don't think it is worth it for me.

You bring up an interesting option of possibly swapping the C63 mufflers for mine and maybe removing one of the cats (I already removed resonator with x-pipe).

I wonder if there are any C63 owners selling their factory exhaust???

well to clarify,,
I didnt say to remove the cats or resonator , dont like the sound of mercs when you do that,, louder does not equal better sound..

you should keep you cats, or put high flow 200 cell cats on the secondary
and keep stock primary..

so you can order the C63 mufflers, which are less exp I believe than the
new E 63.. and are smaller,,and LOUDER too

or you can go aftermarket.. for example the remus mufflers sound great,,
and their Universal smaller ovals will fit mercs, and are alot less expensive say only like 250 ea

Remus owns Sebring which makes AMG mufflers anyway,, lol
they are louder than the AMG, and sound better, not a burbly and have better midtone,, and are smoother,

if you want to go louder still, the renntech, or brabus are much louder,
but you could also get some fierce drone, as they put minimal sound deadening in them, and you dont have a RESONATOR.. which I recommend
just use a smaller type, like the BUllet, tube styles.
make sure the resonator is After the x-pipe and before the mufflers midway.. makes a great sound
Old 02-25-2009, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by jpohl402
^^^^
No. I dont have any codes being thrown. Car runs and sounds great.

Originally Posted by 05VENOM
Who did the exhaust work for you?
I had Hi-Flo Custom exhaust in Manassas did the work. Scott the owner hooked me up and did a great job. I know I have posted these links in the past but here are some pics.

http://gallery.me.com/jfmillr72#100312

These pics are old. But do show what I am referring to. I also have some sound clips, but will have to make some new ones. After my recent tuning the exhaust sounds a little different then when i made the originals. Would rather people hear what it sounds like now. I will get out tomorrow and take a new video.

One last thing. To prevent droning I installed Dynamat sound proofing along the entire exhaust on the heat shielding to prevent droning and excessive exhaust sound inside the car. And it works. Car sounds great outside, but nice and quiet inside, til I open the windows

Last edited by Fr33kn63; 02-25-2009 at 06:43 PM.