Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nascar
Uh Oh! Really Raspy Exhaust Now..

Hello,

I drive an E55.

I was playing around with modding my exhaust and at first I gutted the stock amg muffler (just took out the packing, did NOT do a straight thru design), but I wanted more sound. I then decided to take replace resonator and 2ndary cats with 3" straight pipes..lol

I like the sound at cold start and everything but once WOT, it sounds really really raspy. I'm not sure if raspy is the term, but it sounds like metal hitting metal? Kinda like a gunfire..

I tried to take a video clip of it, but I don't have a good camera, so when I listened to it after recording, the exhaust sound didn't pick up.

The closest YouTube video that I could find that sounds like my car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ny5RXF9E78&NR=1
(when it get raspy up top, I think that happens whenever I go WOT)

This is not a desirable sound, right? Hahah..For me, inside the car and with my windows up or down I can't notice the rasp, but when I had my brother drive it, it didn't sound that great up top..

Should I replace my resonator? or 2ndary cats?

Thanks!

Last edited by ECBAOBAO; 03-05-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Yeah, that is my worst fear.

I am praying mine comes out like this.

This is cats and res out, BUT X pipe and stock mufflers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4Xp6GmWj8g

You definitely need X pipe. Vadim at VRP has um right now.

Then maybe mufflers back in???
Old 03-05-2009, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2004 E55
Yup. I had to replace my cats (primary and secondary) with straight pipes and I personally think it sounds terrible. It's very raspy and sounds like a V6 Camaro...

Right now I have headers --> x-pipe (in stock resonator location) --> stock 55 mufflers.

I am going to experiment with resonators and possibly even different mufflers and different placement of the x-pipe. I'll definitely post sound clips when I get everything sorted out.

In regards to the vid posted by Jackpro1, your exhaust will sound like that, so long as you don't have any type of header. The increased exhaust flow from headers will overwhelm the stock mufflers and make it sound terrible in my opinion.

The closest YouTube video that I could find that sounds like my car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ny5RXF9E78&NR=1
(when it get raspy up top, I think that happens whenever I go WOT)
That is exactly what my car sounds like and I hate it!!!!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:00 PM

14-F Sport, 07-CLS63 2003-HUMMER 2004-Suburban 2008-MAX 2005-YZF R1
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Yeah, that is my worst fear.

I am praying mine comes out like this.

This is cats and res out, BUT X pipe and stock mufflers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4Xp6GmWj8g

You definitely need X pipe. Vadim at VRP has um right now.

Then maybe mufflers back in???
Now the second link.... that exhaust sounded NICE!!!!!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Did you have the rasp before the seconday cat delete.
Can you shed some info on how you cut the mufflers open and also cost.
Adding a x pipe in place of the resonator will help also make sure you get rid of the factory h pipe when you add the x pipe.

I kinda like the sound
Old 03-05-2009, 11:36 PM

nascar
I did the resonator delete and 2nd cat delete same time so I wouldn't know..

Vadim gutted it for me, you can talk to him about that if you have any questions. I think he just cut open the muffler and took out all the packing? I could be wrong tho..

That sound is bad or good? I'm not sure what sounds good...haha

Last edited by ECBAOBAO; 03-05-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:49 PM

nascar
A lot of exhaust videos are just revving at idle, though..

I like my car sound when I'm revving at idle or when I'm going part throttle. My exhaust doesn't have the rasp when I do that. It only gets raspy when I go WOT under load..
Old 03-05-2009, 11:55 PM

2003 e55
i have 2nd cat and resonator delete, it sounds great and fairly louder than stock but definitely a huge difference, just replaced with 3inch straight pipes and everybody loves it....

now, u said your car sound raspy like that e55 thats in the video you posted, and u got 2nd cat and resonator deleted with a gutted muffler? i definitely need to do what you did then, that sound is sick, sounds like an m5
Old 03-06-2009, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
Primary and secondary cats are needed for several reasons. First is emissions requirement to help clean the air we breath. You will have trouble passing federal and state emissions requirements deleting any part of these. Second, your exhaust systems ECU is programmed with a certain requirement of back pressure. If you mess with this you screw up the program and you motor will not run at peak power normally available. You screw up the scavanging effect your exhaust was designed in with. Therefore you do not fully evacuate the exhaust gases from each combustion properly. The exhaust system of a given vehicle especially with the European cars from Audi BMW and Benz are complicated in their design and all the parts are there for a specific reason. I would not go messing with it unless you are trained and qualified to do so. Besides to those that know better sound is not what impresses. Power hooked to the pavement is. Having plenty of power and not letting them hear you coming is more impressive than letting your loud exhaust announce you and then not being able to back it up...
Old 03-06-2009, 12:12 AM

2003 e55
car enthusiasts love their exhausts as its a type of music to our ears, not to announce your arrival like what you said.... obviously so far so many people have messed with the exhaust on these cars and nothing has gone wrong... of course mercedes wont put anything on these cars if there wasnt a reason for it, but at the sametime, if these things were not there, it wont neccesarilly make a negative affect. lets just say your theory is true, on our 500hp cars, who wouldnt give up a hp or two at the most to get some sound out of this beasts...

enjoy!
Old 03-06-2009, 12:55 AM

nascar
Hey III II I I AMG,

You like the sound of it? I'm not really sure what sounds good or not, but is that considered "raspy"? How come people say that those civics are way too loud and raspy then?

From in the cabin, I can hardly tell and sounds pretty good (to me)..but when I heard it following my brother I could hear the "metal hitting metal" sound even when he was soooo far away. I just don't want me car to sound like one of those "cheap civics" haha..

Alsooo..I listened to it again and maybe its cause he's in an inclosed area it sounds better?

I need my brother to drive my car again, but maybe the metal hitting sound there is a slightly larger gap between the hits? Does that make sense?

Last edited by ECBAOBAO; 03-06-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:00 AM

nascar
I was actually looking at M5 exhaust videos to post what my exhaust sounds like, but came across an actual E55 that sounds like mine..haha
Old 03-06-2009, 06:28 AM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
[quote=ECBAOBAO;3394137]Hello,

Here is how to fix your cars sound and make it sound euro proper and nice. better than AMG

1 put race high flow race cats back in, both pairs.

2 put in X-pipe,

3 put resonator bullet high flow small type on each pipe AFTER x-pipe but before muffler, this will tone the sound and get rid of raspy and drone sounds.

4 good mufflers,, either stock AMG< or REMUS, or EISENMANN

the car will sound amazing. its the setup I have..
there are posted sound clips search for REMUS
Old 03-06-2009, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
I am running the Eisenman Race exhaust and my car sounds like the clip in the second post only better.

I thought about going the cheap route and playing with custom exhaust setups but none of the ones I heard on a 55 ever sounded as good as the outrageously priced rear sections from the big tuners so I bucked up and spent the money. No regreets at all as the sound is awesome, perfect idle, no issues cruising on the highway, and great bark at full throttle but with the windows up driving around town, you can tell it is there but is not annoying in any way.

My decision was heavily swayed towards Eisenmann after using several different exhausts on one of my M-Cars that all sounded like dying cats and droned me out of the car. I then switch to the Race setup on that car and is was peeeeerrrrrrrrrfect.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2004 E55
I keep watching that video over and over again - the one in the first post - and I honestly can't see how anyone would enjoy that sound. The tone alone is so very unpleasing to the ears. I know I know... Different strokes... One man's trash.... I get it.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:08 PM

2003 e55
the raspy sound from annoying civics, is the type of sounds that gets into peoples ears to the point that they cant stand it and its alot worse than the sound in the first video.... but that e55 on that dyno sounds like an m5 in a way... anyway, i love how that e55 sounds, loud but very very mean
Old 03-06-2009, 08:46 PM

nascar
Could you post a video of that type of rasp? The bad kind?

Thanks
Old 03-10-2009, 07:17 PM

nascar
A member on the board (storm) described it perfectly, you can hear all the cylingers firing it sounds like da da da da. He said that the addition of an xpipe will cause the sound to smooth out and give more of a daaaaaa sound.

What do you guys think?
Old 03-10-2009, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
You need a good quality x pipe in place of the secondaries. Not a good idea to get rid of the stock H pipe and go straight back without merging the 2 banks. I would put the stock resonator back on.. problem solved.

When I delete my primary cats I might put my stock resonator back on. But for now my car sounds perfect!
Old 03-10-2009, 07:36 PM

SOLD 04 E55 Now 93 w124 3.2 sold W210 E55 sold waiting on W211 E63 p030
591 whp pn 11 psi? Is that possible?
Old 03-10-2009, 07:46 PM

nascar
Ooh ok thanks, check your PM!

When you are gonna remove your primaries, are you gonna put them on before u smog?
Old 03-11-2009, 02:41 AM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
Originally Posted by bobgodd
I keep watching that video over and over again - the one in the first post - and I honestly can't see how anyone would enjoy that sound. The tone alone is so very unpleasing to the ears. I know I know... Different strokes... One man's trash.... I get it.

yeah the sound in that video is bad, it would DRONE way to much at 2250 RPM on freeway, etc..

why you need X-pipe and bullet high flow resonators after X-pipe

and decent mufflers and cats

in this months IMPORT TUNER, they showed that DEL cats really has no performance gains and can actually reduce HP and backpressure by like 3 hp,

best setup on their dyno on LEXUS GS400 V 8 was
with HIGH FLOW RACING CATS, 200 cel,, bumped HP by like 4-5 hp

the tested gutted cats, no cats and high flow cats I believe

high flow cats were best sound and performance
Old 03-11-2009, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by storm
...in this months IMPORT TUNER, they showed that DEL cats really has no performance gains and can actually reduce HP and backpressure by like 3 hp,

best setup on their dyno on LEXUS GS400 V 8 was
with HIGH FLOW RACING CATS, 200 cel,, bumped HP by like 4-5 hp

the tested gutted cats, no cats and high flow cats I believe

high flow cats were best sound and performance
lol...jakpro, you reading this!

i'm sure someone will point out that the cars they tested weren't s/c'd but they may as well have been looking over my shoulder at the track this weekend for their data. i wonder if they mentioned that the tq loss is even greater without the cats???
Old 03-11-2009, 02:49 AM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
Originally Posted by Max.H
You need a good quality x pipe in place of the secondaries. Not a good idea to get rid of the stock H pipe and go straight back without merging the 2 banks. I would put the stock resonator back on.. problem solved.

When I delete my primary cats I might put my stock resonator back on. But for now my car sounds perfect!

yeah but a better solution is to replace the stock resonator
which not only weights 38 lbs, and is a HUGE POS..
and bottleneck

WITH A X_PIPE.

it gains about 3-5 hp, refines the sound..merges the banks and exhaust but also reduces turbulence and increase velocity,, and
makes it sound so much better,, like a EURO tuned AUDI or ITALIAN job.

H pipes suck on euro cars, because they make a farting motorboat
DA DA DA DA sound, and you can hear the seperate banks firing,
which sounds like a muscle car.. NOT A MERCEDES

the X-PIPE MERGES the sound way better than STOCK resonator
and does not reduce flow unlike the stock

best part is,, if you replace the stock resonator and Mufflers
with X-pipe and good Aftermarket mufflers,,

you shed like 80 lbs, which considering you get equiv
of 1 HP gain for ever 10 lbs approx, of weight saves
actually lightens the car MID and REAR, makes is a tad quicker

add to that losing the lame spare tire and remove another
45lbs, and you have shed 120 lbs and made the car faster,
and sound better..

what I did, and with carbon fiber fenders,, and trunk and hood,
managed to do what ASTON MARTON< LAMBO, and FERRARI and MERC BLACK series does,on their SPORT S versions for way cheaper,

cut some 220 lbs off car

shed WEIGHT.. = FASTER
Old 03-11-2009, 02:56 AM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
Originally Posted by chiromikey
lol...jakpro, you reading this!

i'm sure someone will point out that the cars they tested weren't s/c'd but they may as well have been looking over my shoulder at the track this weekend for their data. i wonder if they mentioned that the tq loss is even greater without the cats???

well the lexus was not,,but they had several MIT EVOS that would destroy even your E 55, they were puttn out like 540 hP

and they did a project car that was converted to E 85 methaonl in like 4 hours with simple injectors and remap fuel management map
which added another 65 HP,, lol and considering the EVO weight these things were doing sick times,, like 10 flat or more
some of these ricer import tuners are now really starting to produce some good fast cars finally,,
the GTR is kinda proof of this I hate to admit, wiping all the records on NURENBERGER and SEBRING and everywhere else

some of these tuner cats spend 100k in performance add ones,, and with a 3000 lb car and 500 + hp, that is carbon fiber,, that is some serious

DOO DOO lol
its true you dont want alot of backpressure on SC cars,
but 100 and 200 cel cats almost dont impede flow at all if they are high flow,, and if you drive the car on the street you have to be quasi legal at least..

if it is just a track car,, you can del cats.. sure,, but does not sound as good really just louder.. but serves a purpose on track sometimes

but there are plenty of cat equipped track cars that will destroy an AMG

the new high flow cats from japan are really really good.

Last edited by storm; 03-11-2009 at 03:00 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Uh Oh! Really Raspy Exhaust Now..