W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

||| Pros and Cons of an E55 AMG |||

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Question ||| Pros and Cons of an E55 AMG |||

Looking at getting an E55 AMG and I am trying to see what would be some of the pros and cons of owning one. I always hear that maintenance is a big expense of owning one but what actually would be involved for regular maintenance?

Any info on recalls or anything to look for?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by FromM3toE55; 03-17-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL600
Can't really think of a con to owning one... As far as maintenance goes, IC pump is the biggest issue with the 55K.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:09 PM

A Car
gas is worse than the M3
Old 03-17-2009, 01:09 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Only con I can think of = Gas mileage. It's absolutely terrible.

But then again, if that's what you were concerned about, you wouldn't be considering a 500hp car in the first place...
Old 03-17-2009, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211,E90,E66,E39,E38,NSX,Z32-TT
I came from a 2002 BMW 745Li.

The E55 is very powerful -- almost too powerful to enjoy legally on the streets. Everything about the engine is brute force. Power at ANY rpm. It's also a sleeper, and will eat up just about anything on the road, a lot of times without much warning. The E55 is also VERY reliable for the car that it is.

I see that you have a BMW -- so you may miss this part if you give away your BMW for a E55. Believe it or not, I feel that my BMW 745Li handled tremendously better in any way you want to look at it. The BMW was more balanced, neutral, better feedback, and just hung onto the road A LOT better. The car was definately more planted on the road, and I use to take on little Japanese FWD cars in high speed left right curves with no problem. I can no longer do that with the E55, instead, I have to show it off "going straight" instead.

I love the E55. But I do miss my BMW. I guess its fair to say, they are very different cars.

Maybe I need an Alpina B7 ?
Old 03-17-2009, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by CWW
Only con I can think of = Gas mileage. It's absolutely terrible.

But then again, if that's what you were concerned about, you wouldn't be considering a 500hp car in the first place...
I dont think the gas is that bad for the power this car produces.

On my 2002 745Li, I averaged 17.6 mpg. With the E55, i get about 16.5. I lose about 1-mpg but I gained almost 300 horsies!
Old 03-17-2009, 01:27 PM

Btw, the E55 needs a bigger gas tank!
Old 03-17-2009, 01:28 PM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by AZIPOD

The E55 is very powerful -- almost too powerful to enjoy legally on the streets. Everything about the engine is brute force. Power at ANY rpm. It's also a sleeper, and will eat up just about anything on the road, a lot of times without much warning. The E55 is also VERY reliable for the car that it is.

I see that you have a BMW -- so you may miss this part if you give away your BMW for a E55. Believe it or not, I feel that my BMW 745Li handled tremendously better in any way you want to look at it. The BMW was more balanced, neutral, better feedback, and just hung onto the road A LOT better. The car was definately more planted on the road, and I use to take on little Japanese FWD cars in high speed left right curves with no problem. I can no longer do that with the E55, instead, I have to show it off "going straight" instead.

I love the E55. But I do miss my BMW. I guess its fair to say, they are very different cars.

Maybe you just need to learn to drive better

Jk, yeah... he has a point. This car tip-toes through corners. You ever heard the song "Death Around the Corner" by Tupac?
Old 03-17-2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Akademiks
Maybe you just need to learn to drive better

Jk, yeah... he has a point. This car tip-toes through corners. You ever heard the song "Death Around the Corner" by Tupac?
hehehehhehe. you might be right. With all the electronics on the 745Li, its no wonder why it makes me look like a star behind the wheel.

I really love the BMW ARS (Anti Roll Stabilization) -- the computer predicts/senses yawing motion and starts pumping hydro flulid into the anti-roll bars to prevent it from leaning. It works great!

I had a loaner 5 series with ARS suspension one time, and that car just carved through the corner like a knife!

I like your "tip toeing" description -- very accurate!!!
Old 03-17-2009, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Only con you are going run into IMO is the supercharger heat issue. Benz did a subpar job of cooling the beast. First they installed pumps that almost ALL burned out but then fixed the issue. New stock pumps work ok at best....least they don't burn out.

Even with brand new pump, on a warm spring day or worse a hot summer day, the car really suffers from heatsoak.

One good run against someone is about all you get on a hot day, then the car dramatically loses power on each run. Too much heat and the supercharger will shut down and timing pulled. Car feels like a DOG!!!

Larger heat exchanger, aftermarket pump and separating the supercharger coolant from engine helps a LOT (exchanger around 400, pump 250-400 and install a few hours labor) ....least the IAT temps come down faster.

Extreme option is to put a 4 gal res in the trunk for intercooler fluid only. You pack that sucker with ice and the car just freaks out with power. Watched Chiromikey do it right in front of me and almost blow an 11 flat...well 11.3. It's amazing but a real pain to install.

Otherwise, my car has run pretty great and I am one the crazier modders here.

I say come on in and enjoy the torque.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
The maintenance of the car itself may not be too expensive, but make sure you get warranty on whatever you buy. These cars have a lot of electronic gadgets that tend to break or fail after warranty period, and which will cost you major money. Check the service history thoroughly and try to get as low mileage car as you can find.

Good luck and hope to see you here soon.......
Old 03-17-2009, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Originally Posted by Akademiks
Can't really think of a con to owning one... As far as maintenance goes, IC pump is the biggest issue with the 55K.
+1

Nothing but love for my E55, no problems at all.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:38 PM

E63 AMG & CLK350
Originally Posted by ThisFlyGuy
gas is worse than the M3
So far, I've used a little over half a tank in one week and that's with pushing the car hard a few times. I'm not sure if there's a difference between the E55 and E63, though.

I used to be able to go at least 2 weeks before having to up the M3 going to work and back along with running various errands.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:01 PM

5spd 99 maxima
Not to hijack but is the hanfling really that bad? If you had to compare it to a car what car is it like? Does it actually not hold the turns or just rolls more than you like? I've also looking at e55 prices dropping and want to pick 1 up.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:48 PM

E63 AMG & CLK350
Originally Posted by 99blkmax
Not to hijack but is the hanfling really that bad? If you had to compare it to a car what car is it like? Does it actually not hold the turns or just rolls more than you like? I've also looking at e55 prices dropping and want to pick 1 up.
For a large sedan, it's not horrible, but I came from an M3 and it definitely doesn't handle nearly the same. There is some body roll coming around corners. However, we used to have a 745Li and, in my opinion, the E63 handles better.

I've taken the E63 around some of my favorite local roads and turns and I'm impressed at it's performance and handling, but would I take it through the canyons, probably not.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 E55 Black
Originally Posted by 99blkmax
Think Serta on casters...it's not that bad
Old 03-17-2009, 07:24 PM
Almost a Member!

BMW 540i
Originally Posted by AZIPOD

Believe it or not, I feel that my BMW 745Li handled tremendously better in any way you want to look at it. The BMW was more balanced, neutral, better feedback, and just hung onto the road A LOT better. The car was definately more planted on the road, and I use to take on little Japanese FWD cars in high speed left right curves with no problem. I can no longer do that with the E55, instead, I have to show it off "going straight" instead.

I also currently drive a BMW and have been considering an E55/63 for the past several weeks. My '98 540i is not nearly as fast as the AMG, but it definitely handles much better. And I'm not sure I will enjoy an automatic as much my current 6-speed manual. I've owned my 540 for 8 years. It has 107K miles on it an runs great. The reason I haven't replaced it is because there isn't a 4 door sedan on the market that has the perfect balance of styling, luxury, performance and handling that I've enjoyed for several years.

A pre-owned AMG offers a great value and sleeper acceleration.

One other car I am leaning towards is the new 5 series BMW which is rumored to come with a twin turbo V8 and all-wheel drive. For me, this might be more practical since I live in the northeast and can use the traction. The styling of the new BMW also looks great.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
05 e55
Originally Posted by LADY_AMG
However, we used to have a 745Li and, in my opinion, the E63 handles better.
i too came from an 03 745li with azi, we both had our vehicles lemoned around the same time by the same adjuster... now we both own 55's... what a coincidence... in the years i owned my e66, i sure beat the heck out of it... i have driven it round trip to vancouver bc about 5-6 times... from that experience of such a long drive paired with hairpin turns around the cali/oregon border, i can say hands down the bmw handled better... no questions asked... the 55 has more noticable body roll, which was almost nonexistent in the e66 due to ars, plus i was lowered about an inch... only thing i miss about that car though is the stereo... even though it started bugging out towards the end of my ownership, it has got to be the best factory stereo i have ever had the priviledge of hearing... the power, looks, and "non idrive errors" of the w211 are a definately plus though...
Old 03-17-2009, 09:21 PM

E63 AMG & CLK350
Originally Posted by harjothundal
i too came from an 03 745li with azi, we both had our vehicles lemoned around the same time by the same adjuster... now we both own 55's... what a coincidence... in the years i owned my e66, i sure beat the heck out of it... i have driven it round trip to vancouver bc about 5-6 times... from that experience of such a long drive paired with hairpin turns around the cali/oregon border, i can say hands down the bmw handled better... no questions asked... the 55 has more noticable body roll, which was almost nonexistent in the e66 due to ars, plus i was lowered about an inch... only thing i miss about that car though is the stereo... even though it started bugging out towards the end of my ownership, it has got to be the best factory stereo i have ever had the priviledge of hearing... the power, looks, and "non idrive errors" of the w211 are a definately plus though...
Hmm funny how we have opposite experiences. Don't get me wrong, I loved everything else about the 7, but I had my M3 as a daily and it was night and day getting in and out of those 2. What I miss the most on the 7 are the front seat massagers. Unfortunately, we started to have issues with it. The water pump blew while we were in Vegas once and had to get towed back to So Cal. Not to mention the issue we repeatedly had with the cd changer overheating and idrive freezing.Shortly after that we sold it.

My biggest concern with getting a sport sedan was feeling like I was driving a boat. However, the E63 quelled those fears during the test drive as it reached 75mph effortlessly in a matter of seconds down a straightaway. The only other vehicle that has replicated that sensation was our Viper. The difference is that the E63 did it with grace.