W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has the Chrysler aftermarket warranty?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211,E90,E66,E39,E38,NSX,Z32-TT
Originally Posted by 007ML500
I definitely agree with what you’re saying about Chrysler's contract. Under 50,000 the miles I think the Fidelity contract is pretty clear cut (for the platinum coverage), nothing goofy. Above 50,000 is open to what is considered wear and tear which could be a problem for certain parts. I'll probably never hit 50,000 miles so this should work out ok for me as I think they are good with claims at this stage. The gamble for me with Chrysler is not their contract as I think it's probably one of the best, its whether or not they will file bankruptcy.

Just for clarification, it is probably likely that Chrysler will file Bankruptcy. However, let us remind ourselves that Bankruptcy in itself does not mean they will close up shop and we lose everything.

Most commonly, the Bankruptcy will be filed under Chapter 11 (I think), which allows the court to monitor and oversee them restructure and rehabilitate the company and its debt. Chapter 11 DOES NOT mean they are out of business. Given Chrysler and GM's current position, Chapter 11 will actually help them because it will allow them an opportunity to manage their debt. Think AIG and all of the Major Airlines in recent years, these are Chapter 11 examples and many of the airlines have filed multiple Chapter 11s since their existence. I believe all of the major airlines have emerged from Chapter 11 as we speak.

Chapter 7 is when the business close up shop and the business ceased/dissolves. It is when the business is no longer in existence. I don't see how this would happen to Chrysler, GM, or Ford anytime soon. There are too many people, businesses, and money linked into any of those 3 major US car makers. If one goes, it would be SERIOUS for the rest of the economy. Things may change though.

So for now, don't let the word BANKRUPTCY scare you. It may actually be a good thing for Chrysler (Chapter 11).
Old 04-13-2009, 03:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 SL500, 2002 GLS 450
Originally Posted by AZIPOD
Just for clarification, it is probably likely that Chrysler will file Bankruptcy. However, let us remind ourselves that Bankruptcy in itself does not mean they will close up shop and we lose everything.

Most commonly, the Bankruptcy will be filed under Chapter 11 (I think), which allows the court to monitor and oversee them restructure and rehabilitate the company and its debt. Chapter 11 DOES NOT mean they are out of business. Given Chrysler and GM's current position, Chapter 11 will actually help them because it will allow them an opportunity to manage their debt. Think AIG and all of the Major Airlines in recent years, these are Chapter 11 examples and many of the airlines have filed multiple Chapter 11s since their existence. I believe all of the major airlines have emerged from Chapter 11 as we speak.

Chapter 7 is when the business close up shop and the business ceased/dissolves. It is when the business is no longer in existence. I don't see how this would happen to Chrysler, GM, or Ford anytime soon. There are too many people, businesses, and money linked into any of those 3 major US car makers. If one goes, it would be SERIOUS for the rest of the economy. Things may change though.

So for now, don't let the word BANKRUPTCY scare you. It may actually be a good thing for Chrysler (Chapter 11).
Your right, CH 11 probably could be a good thing in the long run because they can restructure their debt and emerge a stronger more lean company. The problem is the priority of how the debt is handled during bankruptcy. Secured creditors are first in line and they have to be paid in full before they can move onto the next level. Chrysler does not have that kind of money which means the guys at the bottom of the list are left with little to nothing.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 63 S AMG / Corvette C8 / Jaguar SVR
did chrysler file yet for anything?
Old 04-21-2009, 05:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 E55 Black
Originally Posted by InTheBenz0
did chrysler file yet for anything?
You won't hear about it first here...it will be national news
Old 04-21-2009, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
how long after you guys purchased the warranty over the phone did you get the paperwork?

Its going on 3 weeks for me and I still haven't gotten anything in the mail.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 GL550 2006 S55
Chrysler received more bailout money today. They said it takes 2 weeks to receive the paperwork on the warranty, has anyone received paperwork lately?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090421/..._autos_bailout
Old 04-21-2009, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 w211 E55
I went to the chrysler dealer last week to purchase the warranty and a business manager told me that I'm better off waiting to see what happens. He said they might merge with "Fiat" in the meantime he said don't purchase a warranty because you might lose your money. Thats what I was told so I'm waiting to see what happens before I buy it.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
So, what are people's thoughts on deniying a warranty suspension fix when if the suspension fails when lowered by STAR?
Old 04-22-2009, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by str8ridin
So, what are people's thoughts on deniying a warranty suspension fix when if the suspension fails when lowered by STAR?
I'm not sure as I don't know the technical details.
I know that the SDS lowering method only allows the car to be lowered minimally. It's so minimal that the car is already traveling at that height during highway speeds (car is designed to lower about 5" at highway speeds).

If you ask me, even if you lowered via SDS, you're still within "specs" of Mercedes because the computer will only allow you to lower so much. However, I've never read the technical manual for the E55 so I don't know what the actual documented specification range is.

I think it would be a wrongful denial. The SDS method is so minimal that an untrained eye will not be able to notice. Additionally, you can also deny that you've lowered it with SDS, again because the lowering is so minimal and the SDS computer wouldn't even let you lower it MORE than the alloted ride height range.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 E55 Black
Originally Posted by str8ridin
Remember that this isn't MB warranty your dealing with, its aftermarket. Your service advisor is on your side here...there should be little reason they need to mention that the car was lowered
Old 04-23-2009, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
Originally Posted by regor60
Remember that this isn't MB warranty your dealing with, its aftermarket. Your service advisor is on your side here...there should be little reason they need to mention that the car was lowered
exactly
Old 04-23-2009, 05:29 PM

05 e55
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30366383
Old 04-23-2009, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by harjothundal
This is good news. Remember, there's a HUGE difference between Bankruptcy in Chapter #7 vs Chapter #11. Chapter #11, known as bankruptcy protection and restructuring will allow Chrysler to restructure and reorganized all of their finances with limited immunity from their debtors.

By filing Chapter #11 Bankruptcy, this isn't the "END" to Chrysler, it's actually the new "Beginning."
Old 04-23-2009, 08:08 PM

2005 SL500, 2002 GLS 450
This is good news. Remember, there's a HUGE difference between Bankruptcy in Chapter #7 vs Chapter #11. Chapter #11, known as bankruptcy protection and restructuring will allow Chrysler to restructure and reorganized all of their finances with limited immunity from their debtors.

By filing Chapter #11 Bankruptcy, this isn't the "END" to Chrysler, it's actually the new "Beginning."
Good for Chrysler...BAD for employees, retirees, creditors and probably extended warranty service contracts.

I can't say for sure what will hapen, but if you're afraid the service contracts will no longer be honored if they file bankruptcy and you were thinking about asking for a refund I would recommend calling tomorrow. If you wait until after they file, which sounds like it could be next week, you will have to go through the legal system to get a refund which unfortunately you will not see a penny back.

I hate this guessing game!
Old 04-23-2009, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
actually, the WSJ reported that Chrysler may be liquidated if they can't get a deal done with fiat.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Oliverk
actually, the WSJ reported that Chrysler may be liquidated if they can't get a deal done with fiat.
If that happens, then it would be "the end" of Chrysler. Can't see that happening, but if it does, it will certainly be an eye opener. First US automaker to go out of business?
Old 04-24-2009, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family Sedan w/5.5 K
Originally Posted by E55AMGGG04
I went to the chrysler dealer last week to purchase the warranty and a business manager told me that I'm better off waiting to see what happens. He said they might merge with "Fiat" in the meantime he said don't purchase a warranty because you might lose your money. Thats what I was told so I'm waiting to see what happens before I buy it.
I just checked with Chrysler 800 521 9922 and the rep mentioned the bankruptcy will not effect warranties, it was an interal memo that was sent out. I requested somthing in writing, she suggested to email chrysler and they will respond with the same message.

log on to www.dodge.com, go to contact us, customer assistance and send email to get a response.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:03 PM

2005 SL500, 2002 GLS 450
Originally Posted by 1mean55
I just checked with Chrysler 800 521 9922 and the rep mentioned the bankruptcy will not effect warranties, it was an interal memo that was sent out. I requested somthing in writing, she suggested to email chrysler and they will respond with the same message.

log on to www.dodge.com, go to contact us, customer assistance and send email to get a response.
If they email you the letter, please post it so we can see the verbiage.

They told me the same thing when I called. I mentioned my concern about bankruptcy and the rep said Obama was going to back Chrysler warranties and I would be ok. I mentioned to the rep that Obama said he would back new car warranties, but he never said anything about extended service contracts (which is not a "warranty"). The rep was silent and said, yeah good point and that was the end of it. These reps are probably paid commision so they could care less what happens to us as long as they get paid.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:20 PM

I called today too but I think I got connected to a call center in India. I wanted to ask him about the warranty but quickly figured out that communication was too difficult. I politely said bye bye and hung up.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:02 PM

Family Sedan w/5.5 K
I called today too but I think I got connected to a call center in India. I wanted to ask him about the warranty but quickly figured out that communication was too difficult. I politely said bye bye and hung up.

Yeah, it can be frustrating. I bought a Dell with a $100 rebate. called and was connected to india call center for the status of my rebate. After seven or eight, "i don't want to be transfered" and a response of "please hold while i transfer you", i hung up...no rebate
Old 04-24-2009, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by 007ML500
If they email you the letter, please post it so we can see the verbiage.

They told me the same thing when I called. I mentioned my concern about bankruptcy and the rep said Obama was going to back Chrysler warranties and I would be ok. I mentioned to the rep that Obama said he would back new car warranties, but he never said anything about extended service contracts (which is not a "warranty"). The rep was silent and said, yeah good point and that was the end of it. These reps are probably paid commision so they could care less what happens to us as long as they get paid.
From what Todd told me, they do not earn any commission. That said, I still haven't gotten my documents.

I plan to call on monday.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Oliverk
From what Todd told me, they do not earn any commission. That said, I still haven't gotten my documents.

I plan to call on monday.
I spoke to Todd last week. He didn't have an answer but said that normally it would only take 2-weeks. He said there are two centers that send out the documentation and he doesn't know why it is taking so long. He did say that he will have to start telling people that its taking 4 weeks plus as oppose to the 2-weeks he originally thought.

It's been 5-weeks for me and I haven't received anything. I did call in today to customer service (not sales where Todd is at) and they did confirm with me that they have the vehicle on file and that coverage is in effect.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:32 AM

2005 E55
I have also not received my documents for my warranty, but was told by Todd that the warranty is in effect from the original date of purchase. It has been just over 2 weeks now for mine as well, but obviously that is not uncommon, since you guys are at 3-5 weeks with nothing. Thankfully, I only put $100 down, and was waiting for the paperwork to show up to choose my payment structure/plan. So if they go belly up before I decide what to do, I will only be out $100 thus far. Sucks though, I don't want to bother with all this warranty stuff again, calling everyone, getting quotes, inspections, etc... I guess we'll see how it goes. I wanted to talk to a local performance shop that claims to accept Chrysler warranties, to see if they would still honor the warranty if the car was modified, but hell...there might not be any warranty if all this goes south, then I will be in a pickle if I mod it now, lose the Chrysler warranty, and then have a very tough chance getting another warranty to replace it with when I already would have mods on the car. Maybe I should just hold off on doing anything with this car.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 ///AMG
I can tell you it takes forever to get any paperwork from these people.

It is also fun dealing with the overseas departments...but it is still the best value in extended warranties.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by lane_change
I have also not received my documents for my warranty, but was told by Todd that the warranty is in effect from the original date of purchase. It has been just over 2 weeks now for mine as well, but obviously that is not uncommon, since you guys are at 3-5 weeks with nothing. Thankfully, I only put $100 down, and was waiting for the paperwork to show up to choose my payment structure/plan. So if they go belly up before I decide what to do, I will only be out $100 thus far. Sucks though, I don't want to bother with all this warranty stuff again, calling everyone, getting quotes, inspections, etc... I guess we'll see how it goes.
I feel exactly the same way, and will also only be out $100 if it all goes south.

That said, this really seemed like the best way to go.

Not to mention, these types of warranties are usually pretty big money makers for the company.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Who has the Chrysler aftermarket warranty?