W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last chance to stop me before I buy GTR

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:30 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by transferred

It's like members who say things like "that's car's old news" or conversely "the next big thing." They're posers in the braggart sense and NOT enthusiasts...

I agree. A true car enthusiast (like a true enthusiast of any art) doesn't focus on trends, and doesn't automatically think "newer = nicer", or anything like that.

Just because a GTR and ZR1 are out (for example), doesn't take anything away from what the Z06 is, and what it always has been. I'm not a Vette fanatic or anything, but I give respect where it's due. Plus, it's a timeless car in about every sense of the word IMO, C5 Z06 included.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
still here.... ran the GT-R in 2000 DA weather last night, 11.3 @ 125 MPH....

have fun with the GT-R!

Originally Posted by Vic55
My bad, I forgot Fiske and its obvious Fantasm has one since its his thread. What I should have done was removed your name.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:44 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon, 2017 C63S Cab, 1986 560SL
To each his own, but it doesn't interest me. I get that it has great performance for the money, but in the same situation I went with a used 996TT. Partly because I wanted a convertible, but the Nissan just didn't interest me and my local dealer isn't 'approved'.

I'd still make a 996TT decision.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG 030
My personal opinion (not that anyone cares) is the Nissan GT-R's are fantastic for what they are. Best bang for the buck by a wide margin, but I personally don't care for the looks all that much.

I'd buy one for the track only.

The looks are typical Japanese fair, slightly ricer-ish, and will grow passe very quickly IMO.

It's performance however is beyond reproach.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
I love that the discussion is still going and the OP got his GT-R a while back

Its a great car but not for everyone.

Fiske 11.3 at 125?? Is that your best trap? I know you ran an 11.04 before correct?
Old 08-02-2009, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
yea, I ran 11.03 in the GT-R with decent weather, highest trap is 126.x....

the weather was bad last night, I only went because my friend picked up a new 2010 GT-R and he wanted to run his....

Originally Posted by Vic55
I love that the discussion is still going and the OP got his GT-R a while back

Its a great car but not for everyone.

Fiske 11.3 at 125?? Is that your best trap? I know you ran an 11.04 before correct?
Old 08-02-2009, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
What did he run? Stock I assume?
Old 08-02-2009, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
yea, he is stock, ran 11.71 @ 120.3 MPH:

http://www.dragtimes.com/Nissan-GT-R...lip-19051.html

Originally Posted by Fantasm
What did he run? Stock I assume?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
Ahhh... I'm thinking about selling the GTR. I just don't feel any emotion towards it. Its a fast car, and can be made supppeerrr fast but I just don't feel like its anything special to me. Am I crazy?

I am thinking about replacing it with a CL63 and drooling at the goodies like Distronic, Night Vision, and the superb interior...

Am I crazy thinking this or what?
Old 08-06-2009, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Ahhh... I'm thinking about selling the GTR. I just don't feel any emotion towards it. Its a fast car, and can be made supppeerrr fast but I just don't feel like its anything special to me. Am I crazy?

I am thinking about replacing it with a CL63 and drooling at the goodies like Distronic, Night Vision, and the superb interior...

If you thought your SL63 was slow, you'll be sorely disappointed moving to heavier CL63 (I believe they weigh 4800-4900+lbs) I ran a CL63 on frwy shortly after buying my SL600 tot stock, we went from about 70mph-130+ I left him by 8+ lengths he tried a couple times after I'd lift only to lose badly...

Now if you're after the styling/gadgets CL63 is sweet ride no doubt If you have the $$ go CL65 & ur set!

Last edited by Thericker; 08-07-2009 at 03:04 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
I'm thinking about CL65, but if the turbos are similar in acceleration to the GTR then I wont like it either.
I want on demand and easy to use power, having to worry about being in the right gear and then waiting for the turbos to spool... ugh.
In regards to the power, I think I'm coming into the thinking that while I do want a really fast car, just not at the expense of technology, comfort and name-brand. I'd rather take a slower car and have my daily luxuries then be the fastest **** out there but not be fully happy in it.

Blah... I'm going through cars too fast.

BTW, for attention the GTR definitely wins. Never had this much attention before. EVERYONE wants to talk about it, ask about it, look at it or race me. EVEN Homeless guys in downtown LA stop and try to talk to me about it.
When I go shopping and park in front of the store exit, all I hear are the cashiers and bag boys asking "LOOK A GTR!" "Who's GTR is that??" "Damn, a Skyline!"

Last edited by Fantasm; 08-06-2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
I've never driven GTR, but none of the 600/65 model V12's have Turbo lag like you describe?? Power is retarded! TQ's available as low as 1800 rpm's thru 4500rpm's, it's a throw you/pin you back in the seat saga from the sec you nail the gas, you know that funny feeling you get in your neck on roller coaster from the G-forces? That's the best way I can describe full acceleration from a Biturbo V12, slightly modded it just gets silly...
Old 08-06-2009, 05:04 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I'm thinking about CL65, but if the turbos are similar in acceleration to the GTR then I wont like it either.
I want on demand and easy to use power, having to worry about being in the right gear and then waiting for the turbos to spool... ugh.
In regards to the power, I think I'm coming into the thinking that while I do want a really fast car, just not at the expense of technology, comfort and name-brand. I'd rather take a slower car and have my daily luxuries then be the fastest **** out there but not be fully happy in it.

BTW, for attention the GTR definitely wins. Never had this much attention before. EVERYONE wants to talk about it, ask about it, look at it or race me. EVEN Homeless guys in downtown LA stop and try to talk to me about it.
When I go shopping and park in front of the store exit, all I hear are the cashiers and bag boys asking "LOOK A GTR!" "Who's GTR is that??" "Damn, a Skyline!"
Yeah my friend says the same thing, he gets super annoyed nowadays by the attention. He said he's over all the car-geeks who are always trying to chat him up about it, or who are standing around and drooling all over it.

When we drove it back to L.A from Vegas, we might has well have had a picture of a naked woman plastered all over the thing with all the looks it got.

I don't think you're crazy. I really like the car, but I personally wouldn't buy it, I'm WAY too picky about little refinement details, and am too much of a Luxury seeking type to really appreciate the car as much as I should.

You definitely go through cars WAY fast though. Take some time with those babies, absorb 'em and get to know 'em!

Last edited by K-A; 08-06-2009 at 05:32 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Page one:
Originally Posted by Rock
If the car is going to be your daily driver, then I say look elsewhere. It offers none of the relaxed driving qualities of a Mercedes. It's not quiet, the brakes squeak, the tranny can be abrupt, and if you like your anonymity and try to fly under the radar, then this car is a ZERO............
I hardly ever say "I told you so" but in your case, "I TOLD YOU SO!!!"
I am always amazed when I see guys on the GTR board say that the car is a great daily driver. The car is pathetic in that regard and I think those that sing its DD virtues are only those with no other cars to drive.

My guess is that you will get hammered on a trade-in. I think they sold 126 GTRs nationwide in July, so these things are not flying off the showroom floors.

Perhaps some professional counseling would help you sort through your troubling inability to bond with a car. Good luck
Old 08-10-2009, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
local nissan dealer (criswell in germantown, md) has an ad for 09 GTR for $77,976 thru 08/12/09. The one closer to my house had them going for $94k. If anyone on here is interested, call criswell 888-476-1149

http://www.criswellnissan.com/Specials-New.aspx
Old 08-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS

You are not crazy you just had or have your priorities confused. As Rock said below and his original post the GT-R is not a car where the inside and amenities will match up with its performance. I felt the same way but basically opposite about my CL65- fast as hell only in a straight line and great amenities but nothing in the way of driver involvement, handling, braking, steering, basically the reasons why I bought the GT-R. I was very happy to get rid of that depreciation bucket.

Page one:

I hardly ever say "I told you so" but in your case, "I TOLD YOU SO!!!"
I am always amazed when I see guys on the GTR board say that the car is a great daily driver. The car is pathetic in that regard and I think those that sing its DD virtues are only those with no other cars to drive.

My guess is that you will get hammered on a trade-in. I think they sold 126 GTRs nationwide in July, so these things are not flying off the showroom floors.

Perhaps some professional counseling would help you sort through your troubling inability to bond with a car. Good luck

Actually you should be ok on resale if you bought it for cheap. They are still holding their own at the auction. Good luck and if money is not an issue, dump the car and this time get what you REALLY want!!!!
Old 08-10-2009, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
I dont think there is any 1 car that matches what I want, I'm thinking about just buying a CL or S-class to go along with it...
Old 08-10-2009, 10:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG S

Hmmm? I totally understand where you are coming from but I'm not sure where you should go from here? ROCK hit it on the nose. Get rid of the GT-R but what has performance and luxury to make you happy? I agree the CL63 may work for you. The interior is very nice with great options and it's definitely not slow. I personally would recommend a 2008 CL65. Nice interior and options with a monster torque engine. No lag because it's a 6.0 liter V12 and the turbos kick in very early. Won't be an issue as in the GT-R. The prices have dropped nicely and you can pick one up for 110K to 120K with a little effort in looking. You could wait for the new 2010 E63 AMG with the MCT transmission and all the options including distronic plus? I personally thing that car will be amazing! Probably the best balanced car of them all with regards to luxury and performance. Good luck and let us know what you do. Why did you get rid of the SL63? I think your car was beautiful, fast, and pretty rare. I don't see too many SL63's and I live in South Florida.

Larry
Old 08-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Administrator

I dont think there is any 1 car that matches what I want, I'm thinking about just buying a CL or S-class to go along with it...
Exactly!!!!!! Get a big luxo Merc when you dont need attention and just want isolation and comfort. This sounds like a good thing for YOU.

I have the GT-R to drive but maybe 3 times per week, I didnt even drive it all last week and only two days the week prior. Its probably why I love it even more; you get used to your other cars and then move back to it to enjoy where the others lacked. I drove it yesterday and today and tomorrow will be its last before hibernation
Old 08-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
I bet "hibernation" is code for, "Wifey.....time for you to wash and wax my car...........and detail my wheels."
Old 08-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Administrator

I bet "hibernation" is code for, "Wifey.....time for you to wash and wax my car...........and detail my wheels."
The girlfriend does that Rock.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:19 AM

72 450SL
From what I have read on here, the GT-R is not really for the Benz crowd.

People here, seem to be more hung up on 1/4 times, which is not the intended purpose for the GT-R, it just does that well also.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:03 AM

CLS55 AMG 030

That was quick ...
Old 08-13-2009, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by JustPete
That was quick ...
where did you get that tubing for your intake? I've been thinking that the inlets look restrictive on the SL55...any way to modify the inlet opening and the tube size would help, especially during the time that a larger TB is installed...
Old 08-14-2009, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
Guess what I did today?

Esprit Downpipes
Titek midpipe
HKS Exhaust
HKS Race Suction Intake
Cobb Stage 2 (was gonna get custom tune, but they were unable to today)

LOLOLOL, this is SO LOUD and so much faster, and this is only the tip of the tuning iceberg.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Last chance to stop me before I buy GTR