Cayenne Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
Cayenne Turbo?

Guys - As you may have heard, the E55 is gone. I am relegated to driving my Cherokee until the lease expires in 2 months. Looking at a replacement that will actually be useful to me in not so great weather.

I test drove a Cayenne Turbo and liked it alot. Porsche has some great deals for the month and I am very tempted. Also thinking about the new Range Rover Sport Supercharged, but they are not out yet and I am fearful of reliability on a brand new RR engine. Thought about the X5M, but you can't even fit an overnight bag in that trunk, so it is not for me.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Cayenne Turbo? Any views worth sharing?

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:11 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG Sold 2010 E550 Coupe totaled '13 SL550 current and loving it!
I had an '06 Cayenne Turbo S, I am sure you are talking about a new generation Cayenne. I will just comment on your trunk issue with the X5. The Cayenne has the worst trunk ever. If you want to put the back seat down, you have to move the front seats forward, take out the rear headrests, pull up and forward on the back seat lower portion then put down the back seats. It is the biggest PITA ever and that is an understatement. It has the same room as the X5 so that shouldn't be a deciding factor. Having owned both Cayenne and X5 I would go with the X5M without thinking twice.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
X5M or X6M is going to be the one to beat in any sort of performance matchup.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials
The new range rover sport is available- I just purchased a 2010 model a few weeks ago. Mine is NOT supercharged thou, but i'm pretty sure the supercharged ones were there. I would buy a srt-8 jeep if i were you.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK Matte Silver|MB Arts strut tower brace|MB Arts rear brace|Shaved door and bumper trim|K&N's|
Originally Posted by itsmeek
The new range rover sport is available- I just purchased a 2010 model a few weeks ago. Mine is NOT supercharged thou, but i'm pretty sure the supercharged ones were there. I would buy a srt-8 jeep if i were you.
+1 on buying an SRT8 Cherokee. They have a lot of head/leg/cargo room not to mention all that power under your right foot.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
'21 GLC63, '19 M5
My mother drives the Cayenne Turbo. I drive it every once in a while when I make it over to my parents house. It is a great car to drive. It does not feel like an SUV, and it is fast. It is loud under WOT. I am sure that with a chip that thing will fly. I have nothing negative to say about it and it is my favorite SUV to date. The interior material quality does take a step down from MB. And yes... folding the back seats are a PITA, but I only had to do it once in the last 6 months.

Originally Posted by enzom
Guys - As you may have heard, the E55 is gone. I am relegated to driving my Cherokee until the lease expires in 2 months. Looking at a replacement that will actually be useful to me in not so great weather.

I test drove a Cayenne Turbo and liked it alot. Porsche has some great deals for the month and I am very tempted. Also thinking about the new Range Rover Sport Supercharged, but they are not out yet and I am fearful of reliability on a brand new RR engine. Thought about the X5M, but you can't even fit an overnight bag in that trunk, so it is not for me.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Cayenne Turbo? Any views worth sharing?

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:36 PM

2009 040 Black C63, 2009 Arctic White G55, 2012 Storm Red CLS550 4Matic
g55, without question. my mom has a new white g55 and its a monster. it sounds ridiculous and looks so nice too. if youre not willing to spend that much i think x5m
Old 09-14-2009, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
I'm in the market as well and just test drove an srt8 jeep (again). once again the good looks and fun factor were immediately drowned out by the worst interior a $50+k car has ever seen. I even thought about dropping an extra $5k on aftermarket material upgrades but I don't want to deal with the bs and all the rattles that will ensue after r/r'ing the interior.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 Estate
Besides the interior being only ok in the Porsche Cayenne, the resale value @ 4 years is dismal and below average. The Toureag was a bit nicer inside, but I found the v8 didn't have quite enough go for such a heavy truck. I too was very close to buying the uber Jeep, but stumbled upon an E55 Estate, and have not looked back. The back of this thing is the size of a cave, seats 7 in a pinch, and easily carries the large plastic tubs that I use for my buisness. I saved so much money buying an 06 Estate over an 06 Cayenne Turbo that I have plenty left over for chip/pulley, and snow wheel and tire package! Good luck in your search. So many good deals out there, and so many great vehicles. I drove 27 vehicles before I bought my E55. Car salesman's nightmare!
Old 09-14-2009, 10:54 PM

C63 AMG
Personally, i will go and get teh X6M...much nicer look than the X5M...
Old 09-14-2009, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
I was driving my parents 04 cayenne turbo for a few months, and I wasnt impressed. Handled great, but interior function was useless. Could never figure out the radio (didnt have manual), some of the buttons inside made no sense, and seats were uncomfortable.

It was fast, but really needed to plan ahead and keep the engine speed up high to get good response.

Honestly, I preferred to drive their Highlander Hybrid than the Cayenne Turbo. Just my lowly opinion.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
I drove my buddy's cayenne turbo for a week and I loved it. Its fast and the seats are very comfy. After getting used to the controls everything became a breeze. Look's good and the interior is finished nicely.

The Jeep SRT8 is awesome too! GL with your decision.

Last edited by Max.H; 09-15-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 E63

Thanks.
i had an 05 Cayenne Turbo and presently have an 08 Range Rover Sport HSE (non-supercharged). in regards to performance, it's no contest, the CT wins easily. ride quality is also better in CT due to adjustable suspension. trunk space to me was about equal. and yes, it's much easier to lower the back seats in the RRS (the CT was a PITA as stated by other members).

if u asked me, i would get the Cayenne Turbo.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:42 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
You want the turbo "S". I think that has a reworked intake manifold only found on the "S". Maybe another car to look at too (not quite the name plate tot he Rover or Porsche) is the VW Touareg V10 DTI. Those things are capable of monster amounts of power.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hooleyboy
You want the turbo "S". I think that has a reworked intake manifold only found on the "S". Maybe another car to look at too (not quite the name plate tot he Rover or Porsche) is the VW Touareg V10 DTI. Those things are capable of monster amounts of power.
yes but the damn things are VERY hard to come by!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 07:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
Thanks. Yes, I "want" the Turbo S, but I am not spending that much. Just moved into my new house and want to "save", by getting just a plain old Turbo. Yeah, I know . . .

The dealer is trying to unload their last 09 Turbo, at a deep discount. Porsche has special lease and financing rates this month. I intend to lease, so I don't get stuck with a car that I can't sell in 3 years.

Thanks for all of the insight. I will bug the Range Rover dealer again to see when they are getting the supercharged sport. It had not yet hit the dealers as of two weeks ago.

I will also go back to the Porsche dealer to lower the back seat and see just how tough it is.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Thanks. Yes, I "want" the Turbo S, but I am not spending that much. Just moved into my new house and want to "save", by getting just a plain old Turbo. Yeah, I know . . .

The dealer is trying to unload their last 09 Turbo, at a deep discount. Porsche has special lease and financing rates this month. I intend to lease, so I don't get stuck with a car that I can't sell in 3 years.

Thanks for all of the insight. I will bug the Range Rover dealer again to see when they are getting the supercharged sport. It had not yet hit the dealers as of two weeks ago.

I will also go back to the Porsche dealer to lower the back seat and see just how tough it is.
Hey Big E, why not the GTS it looks better than the Turbo and it out handles the X5! Oh and it sounds Bad *** You can also get it in a 6spd!
Old 09-15-2009, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
Hey Big E, why not the GTS it looks better than the Turbo and it out handles the X5! Oh and it sounds Bad *** You can also get it in a 6spd!
The Turbo I am looking at has the all season package with Michelin Latitude tires like the ones I put on my wife's GL. I want to avoid having to swap wheels and tires for the winter season if I don't need to. My wife's GL got through winter just fine on those tires. Plus, I am still a torque junky, and even with 200 lbs less mass, the GTS isn't going to pull like the Turbo. (It does look hawt, though). The hassle of bumper to bumper traffic outweighs the fun of a 6-speed in my every day car. I'll save the 6 speed for the car that winds up filling the third garage slot.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
What's up lorenzo! Glad you sold the E, in terms of SUV hands down I would go with the Range Rover sport Supercharged. My cousin has the fully optioned supercharged one and it is an incredible jeep, Not to mention plenty of space and trunk. Keep us posted.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 41 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
One of my good friends has a 2007 Tourag V10 TDI and it is amazing. Seriously, after you drive it there is no other SUV that can compare to the practicality and power that it offers. What other SUV mentioned here can get 24mpg highway, and be able to pull a jet (check out the top gear episode). It is a really great truck, but like others said, it is hard to find....
Old 09-15-2009, 11:39 AM

Depends on the season
I've driven an SRT 8 and the power is definitely a plus. My friend was a service manager at Porsche and he had a cayenne S as a demo for about a month. His exact words were "this **** hauls a$$ and is rock solid at 160!" My friend has the range rover HSE and has had a lot of issues with it and cant wait to get rid of it. My opinion is if you are getting a truck...who cares how fast it is as long as it rides nice and looks good. My last truck was a Navigator which I traded my for my E55...i miss it already, but thats comparing apples to oranges
Old 09-15-2009, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Hmmm... VW is going to axe that SUV before you can say Touareg....

So I would stay clear of the P-car... the Range Rover is pure class. A friend just got one - he got the V8 diesel though and it is a fabulous car - the S/C unit must be really incredible.

I am not convinced of having an SUV that does 0-60 in 5 seconds etc... I dunno I just dont get it ... its for driving around and getting around in difficult conditions or with many people/lugage - not racing around?!?!?

If you want space get the new Discovery 4 (and save yourself loads of dough)... its no racer but its got loads of torque for the engine size. I got the D3 and its great... chipped ECU and it hauls *** for a 2.5 tonner.

The G55 is the daddy ... best of all worlds... and it will still be running in 10 years time - when you could probably get more than you paid for it. Its gonna be a collectors item.

Why do you need 2 SUV's - if your wife has the GL?

I'd take the GL and give my wife the new car - LRD4 HSE - and pocket the change. It is a credit crisis after all.

Last edited by stevebez; 09-15-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
+1 - the new LR4 has come a long way. I do like the new RRS S/C as well, but i think overpriced. As far as reliability I would not worry about the RR as the new engs are the XF Jag motor.

good luck in what ever you get. all are nice options.

I'd take the GL and give my wife the new car - LRD4 HSE - and pocket the change. It is a credit crisis after all.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-15-2009, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by stevebez
Hmmm... VW is going to axe that SUV before you can say Touareg....

So I would stay clear of the P-car... the Range Rover is pure class. A friend just got one - he got the V8 diesel though and it is a fabulous car - the S/C unit must be really incredible.

I am not convinced of having an SUV that does 0-60 in 5 seconds etc... I dunno I just dont get it ... its for driving around and getting around in difficult conditions or with many people/lugage - not racing around?!?!?

If you want space get the new Discovery 4 (and save yourself loads of dough)... its no racer but its got loads of torque for the engine size. I got the D3 and its great... chipped ECU and it hauls *** for a 2.5 tonner.

The G55 is the daddy ... best of all worlds... and it will still be running in 10 years time - when you could probably get more than you paid for it. Its gonna be a collectors item.

Why do you need 2 SUV's - if your wife has the GL?

I'd take the GL and give my wife the new car - LRD4 HSE - and pocket the change. It is a credit crisis after all.
I don't need to do 170 mph, but I need to be able to get out of a lane that is stopped and merge into moving traffic. I can't do that in my Jeep without an invitation, and it is making me nuts.

My wife has the GL and three car seats in the second row. Her lease is up in January. I will probably replace that with another GL for her.

I have heard that the G rides are extremely choppy. Not my cup of tea.

I think VW would be silly to axe the Cayenne. It has been a money maker for Porsche, all things considered. But who knows.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...I think VW would be silly to axe the Cayenne. It has been a money maker for Porsche, all things considered. But who knows.
i think he meant vw is going to axe the v10 version of the touareg (at least for the north american market)...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Turbo?