Sponsored by:

2010 E63 personal review after driven on the track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55
2010 E63 personal review after driven on the track

I posted an earlier thread but it took me so long to reply to it with this info it went off on several different tangents. So I started this new thread. This was my expeience at the amg academy

ok guys before I get into the 2010 E63. I will start with the other cars I drove on the track that day.

The SL63 is a great car but by far the slowest and worst handling amg i drove that day. But then again it is the oldest and heaviest of the buch also.

The SLK 55 is alot of fun but the kind of car thats fun to drive for a week not to own for any time at all.

The C63 was the best balanced and funnest to drive amg of the bunch. But i kind of expected that. It didnt have that top end pull down the end of the strait the E63 had. The transmission was also no where near as good as the MCT in the E63. The C63 will definately be fastest around the track but will no way pull on a e63 in a strait line. Especially over 100mph. I only hit 115mph in the strait with the C and I hit over 120 with the E. Also the C63 was the only amg that day that was running hot. It even went into limp mode for a few minutes after running it hard and wouldnt go back to normal until the oil temp went down. I fell back and had to let the other cars pass me

I got lucky and took the CLK63 Black around the track also. Although the power is nothing special compared to the new E63 or My E55 in a strait line this car shines on the track. Driving this car after all the others on the track made me burst out laughing after one lap. I could not get the smile off my face. It felt like it had twice the grip of the other amgs and twice the braking. Car stuck like glue. truly amazing and made me a better driver than I am. This this is the closest thing amg makes to a real race car for the street.

Now for the E63. I wanna start by Saying that several things about this car really shocked me in a good way. .
1. Part of the day was drag racing and I raced a Clk63 black series 12 times in a row. I beat it 9 out of 12 and the three i lost were by maybe 3 feet. The only reason i lost was because the black got the jump.
On the street Ive never raced with my E55 or ever driven a black series but always thought stock for stock the E55 was supposed to be slower. Then When I saw the E63 spank it 9 times in a row i just couldnt explain it.

Does this mean the new E63 is faster than my E55 or is my E55 as fast as a Clk Black. Has any one here ever raced a stock clk black with a stock E55 or E63? Im curious to find out the out come.
The new E63 is very strong in a strait line. I think it is mainly due to the transmission and ESP. The new tranny and ESP set up is light years ahead of our car. The tranny shifts so fast and hard but smooth at the same time. The high revving 63 motor really needed a tranny like this to exploit its attributes.
The esp in sport plus is just perfect. All you do is floor it and it just takes off no wheel spin no traction control killing your launch just a perfect take off everysingle time. Its so easy to drag race this car there is no work invloved.
It felt like the car had a LSD in it. Does anyone know if this car comes stock with one. My car was not a P30 package and it felt like it had one.
What sold me on this car mainly is the new Esp and traction it has off the line. You cant even compare it to our cars. Totally different. I cant even expalin how much more advanced it is than our system.
The closest analogy I could think of was the traction control on my 1998 M3 VS the system on my 2007 M5. Its that much different.

2. The brakes are stronger too but more than that. The feel and feed back is better these things diddnt fade once and the peddle never got soft. My e55s brakes fade more on the highway at 155mph than these things did lap after lap of serious abuse. One car actually started smokin the pads and the brakes still were not fading. I couldnt believe it.

3. Now for the best part. The suspension. Where My E55 was obviously not designed to ever go around a track the E63 feels like it was made for the track. It was very close to the C63 and could easliy be pushed hard and never felt out of place.

The only way I can describe this car is that they took the best parts of the 211 E55/E63 and the best parts of an M5 and blended them together. Its still got the ***** grunt and flat out acceleration off the line the E55 has but now its handles a track like an M5.

Guys your gonna love this car. Im gettin and 2011 when its out.
As for the styling I personally liked it alot in person but thats a matter of personal taste so i wont comment.

Oh one more thing. When I started the E63 the first time I was shocked to here what was coming out of the Exhaust. It sounds better and louder then the 211 E63 for sure. The weirdest thing is I figured it would be the quiestest 63 there but after the black series it was actually the meanest sounding. When you revved it, it was really nasty sounding. Def louder than the SL and C.

If I forgot anything I will add on later. If you have any questions let me know.

One last thing I thought the interior fit and finish was very good for anyone worried about that.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (2 members and 1 guests)
deaguero, evoklr

Show Printable Version
Email this Page

Linear Mode
Switch to Hybrid Mode
Switch to Threaded Mode

Search this Thread

Advanced Search

Rate This Thread
Excellent
Good
Average
Bad
Terrible

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Old 09-15-2009, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
What was your 1/4 mile times and trap speeds and what was the CLK Black Series numbers?

Great review, thanks for sharing
Old 09-15-2009, 12:52 AM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
What was your 1/4 mile times and trap speeds and what was the CLK Black Series numbers?

Great review, thanks for sharing
They were not timed. It was a strait up race head to head and at the end we had to stop within a certain distance after the cones that were set up. It was set up on the main strait away. The only thing they timed during the day was the autocrosses and last full lapping sessions of the day.

Last edited by Blownbenz; 09-15-2009 at 01:02 AM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 09-15-2009, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Yep, i new that new transmission and front suspension wouldmake me drool. The new ESP system has not been discussed by any other publications, so your comments on that are intriquing (sp?).

I will never take the depreciation hit again because I can not afford it, but maybe in 2012/3 I can get a used one. Sounds sweet.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:50 AM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
Yep, i new that new transmission and front suspension wouldmake me drool. The new ESP system has not been discussed by any other publications, so your comments on that are intriquing (sp?).

I will never take the depreciation hit again because I can not afford it, but maybe in 2012/3 I can get a used one. Sounds sweet.
According to the amg factory reps and drivers there the new E63 has the most advanced ESP to date. No other amg has this system yet. I can vouch that it is superior in every level. Traction is never an issue unlike my e55 where its the biggest issue.

I hear you on the depreciation. AMGs get hit very hard in there 2 first years of ownership
Old 09-15-2009, 12:10 PM

09 c63 blk/blk H&R Springs & 08 e 63 blk/blk
Great review!! Sounds Exciting!!
Old 09-15-2009, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Blownbenz
According to the amg factory reps and drivers there the new E63 has the most advanced ESP to date. No other amg has this system yet. I can vouch that it is superior in every level. Traction is never an issue unlike my e55 where its the biggest issue.

I hear you on the depreciation. AMGs get hit very hard in there 2 first years of ownership
I thought the ESP system is the same as the one offered on the C63? Not that it's a bad system, on the contrary, almost everyone who has ever driven a C63 swears by it and many owners keep raving on how good it is.... I'm just curious on what kind of improvements they added over the C63 ESP system
Old 09-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Very nice review!! I'm curious to get more real life reviews of the tranny in action.

Is there much hardware difference on the tranny or is it TCU? Seems like there would be a way to at least adapt similar mods to the 7g?
Old 09-15-2009, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by jangy
Very nice review!! I'm curious to get more real life reviews of the tranny in action.

Is there much hardware difference on the tranny or is it TCU? Seems like there would be a way to at least adapt similar mods to the 7g?
No torque converter and now it uses a double-clutch setup....
Old 09-15-2009, 03:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
No torque converter and now it uses a double-clutch setup....
NICE!!
Old 09-15-2009, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by jangy
NICE!!
We tested the new tranny during a track session at Famoso on the SL63 and despite the aggressive sporty "feel" provided by the tranny in everyday driving, on the track it felt slower. I'm not sure if the ECU was holding back at WOT to prevent damage to the tranny or what, but it definitely felt like something was going on.

Also, it was extremely difficult to do a burn out with the SL63 because everytime we attempted a power brake, the engine rpm would increase and tires wouldn't go anywhere..... launch control was working against us on that day
Old 09-15-2009, 07:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 S550 4MATIC, 2007 R-350
You mean that the 2010 E63 has a louder sound than the C63?
This new E63 is really damn good then.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Thanks for sharing!

Is the rear end in person as awful as it looks in pictures?
Old 09-17-2009, 12:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL63
Oct Motor Trend

Great review, thanks,
Oct's Motor Trend has a nice write up.
A.
Many driving enthusiasts know that a steel-sprung suspension tends to deliver superior handling finesse, while air springs excel at ride quality and adaptability. AMG's answer? Include both. Compared with the standard E-Class (already far improved from its predecessor), the E63 receives a completely new front suspension with a wider track (by 2.2 inches) plus steel front springs and new control arms (among other refinements) for crisp turn-in. At the rear, however, sit air springs that automatically level the vehicle according to changing road conditions. Electronically managed dampers vary ride quality and body roll according to three driver-selectable settings. Steering responsiveness is improved, too, with a ratio quickened to just 14:1.
B.
boasting 11 more horsepower (now 518 hp at 6800 rpm) yet also a 12-percent increase in fuel efficiency.
C.
brake hard from speed when approaching a corner and watch (and listen) as the MCT automatically blips the throttle and fires two machine-gun downshifts. Brilliant stuff. Stand on the gas, let the revs build to redline, and the lightning shift is accompanied by a "whap!" from the exhaust

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...iew/index.html

Road & Track Oct 09:

he "MCT" part stands for Multi-Clutch Technology, and the design marries a planetary-gear 7-speed automatic with a compact multi-disc clutch, electronically controlled and running in an oil bath, where a conventional fluid-coupling torque converter would normally be. The result? Lower rotational inertia (effectively, a lighter flywheel) and shifts in just 100 milliseconds in the sportiest "S+" and "M" modes. There's a "Race Start" setting too that will optimize launch rpm; simply select that mode, mash the throttle, release the brake and 60 mph will arrive in just 4.4 seconds, by Mercedes' reckoning.

The MCT gearbox will almost read your mind on downshifts, capable of dropping three gears (7th to 4th, or 5th to 2nd, for example) depending on throttle and braking inputs.

an on-demand fuel pump and an alternator that both decouples on acceleration and works as a generator on overrun and during braking.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=8262

new elastokinematics

http://www.rsportscars.com/mercedes-...-benz-e63-amg/

Last edited by turbotom1; 09-17-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 717 Likes on 698 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Blownbenz
I got lucky and took the CLK63 Black around the track also. Driving this car after all the others on the track made me burst out laughing after one lap. I could not get the smile off my face.
exactly what i experienced last year on BS...

it's time to retrofit DCT into W211...
Old 09-17-2009, 09:29 PM

2005 E55
I thought the ESP system is the same as the one offered on the C63? Not that it's a bad system, on the contrary, almost everyone who has ever driven a C63 swears by it and many owners keep raving on how good it is.... I'm just curious on what kind of improvements they added over the C63 ESP system
Nope. I drove the E63 and C63 back to back and the E63 system is definately better and more advanced..
The C63 does have a very good system though.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:32 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by llcd
You mean that the 2010 E63 has a louder sound than the C63?
This new E63 is really damn good then.
yes it definatley sounds meaner. Even right at start up. I was almost startled when i fired it up the first time because being the boy racer of the bunch i thought the C63 was gonna be louder and the e was gonna be subdued but not so
Old 09-17-2009, 09:36 PM

2005 E55
We tested the new tranny during a track session at Famoso on the SL63 and despite the aggressive sporty "feel" provided by the tranny in everyday driving, on the track it felt slower. I'm not sure if the ECU was holding back at WOT to prevent damage to the tranny or what, but it definitely felt like something was going on.

Also, it was extremely difficult to do a burn out with the SL63 because everytime we attempted a power brake, the engine rpm would increase and tires wouldn't go anywhere..... launch control was working against us on that day
you cant power brake with esp on at all or it will shut you down as soon as you hit 1200 rpm.
The Sl 63 also has the old esp system. According to amg guys there the new system is a first and only offered in the E class for 2010. The SL wont get it until its complete make over.
Also supposedly the new TTv8 will be coming in the New SL first.