Sponsored by:

Buying out the lease

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
Buying out the lease

My car is leased through mb financial. Does anyone know how well they would work with me to buy the car out? I don't want to pay the residual as I see manhiems and ebays going for much less
Old 10-13-2009, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
In my experience MBZ will move a little to get the car gone, but they won't hesitate to send it to auction either. You're seeing those Manheim prices for a reason...other dealers aren't negotiating enough off residual to sell them before sending to auction.

You have nothing to lose & are in a great position to negotiate. Don't pay residual; if MBZ takes it back and wont' move on the price, track it and you can likely buy it back off auction for the price you wanted in the first place.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:09 PM

1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
Originally Posted by mugatu22
In my experience MBZ will move a little to get the car gone, but they won't hesitate to send it to auction either. You're seeing those Manheim prices for a reason...other dealers aren't negotiating enough off residual to sell them before sending to auction.

You have nothing to lose & are in a great position to negotiate. Don't pay residual; if MBZ takes it back and wont' move on the price, track it and you can likely buy it back off auction for the price you wanted in the first place.
Thats what I was thinking, I could probably buy it from the auction for cheaper then MBF will give it to me for.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG; 1995 Porsche 993 Cab.
I think Jangy had recent experience going down this path, even had a name @ MBZ he worked with. PM him.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 s560 sedan
Originally Posted by way2evil
My car is leased through mb financial. Does anyone know how well they would work with me to buy the car out? I don't want to pay the residual as I see manhiems and ebays going for much less
you will need to pay up all the interest due till lease end so its better off waiting until the end of lease , trying to buy it prior to lease maturity you will get raped and over pay .

tried doing this last month and MB financial wont budge as far as waiving the interest to flip to a finance .

Last edited by DAGREEKNYC; 10-13-2009 at 09:05 PM. Reason: 1
Old 10-13-2009, 11:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I have become email tag friends with the head of all remarketing (Chris Browne I think). As a previous poster mentioned, they will work with you some, but nothing like a dealer. They are not in the business of selling cars but rather keepng MB loyalists.
Also, the plummet on the cars has leveled some so i do not know if they are still as anxious to get rid of inventory as they were a few months back.
Yes, you can buy it at auction cheaper, if you have access. Also, I am a stickler for an MB warranty.
As again previously posted, there is no way they will eat a current contract (lease) to flip you into a desirable (for you) new loan. They will do it if you pay big. If you honestly want to maximize returns, then go through a dealership. They have their own incentives that they can add on top of MB Finance offers and can get you the best deal. There was a time when a dealership would "buy" your car and sell it to you.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by jangy
I have become email tag friends with the head of all remarketing (Chris Browne I think). As a previous poster mentioned, they will work with you some, but nothing like a dealer. They are not in the business of selling cars but rather keepng MB loyalists.
Also, the plummet on the cars has leveled some so i do not know if they are still as anxious to get rid of inventory as they were a few months back.
Yes, you can buy it at auction cheaper, if you have access. Also, I am a stickler for an MB warranty.
As again previously posted, there is no way they will eat a current contract (lease) to flip you into a desirable (for you) new loan. They will do it if you pay big. If you honestly want to maximize returns, then go through a dealership. They have their own incentives that they can add on top of MB Finance offers and can get you the best deal. There was a time when a dealership would "buy" your car and sell it to you.
I agree, wait about two months before your lease ends and MB Financial will lower the residual by about $10,000. Keep your car until the very last day of the lease and take it to the dealer to turn it in. The dealer will CPO the car for you and also buy the car from MB Financial for a further discount. You will then get back in your car with a fresh warranty and a decent price. Going the auction route will save a few thousand but then you get the wear and tear that is surely to happen and no warranty.

Forgetting all that, go buy a brand new 2009 for $30 grand off sticker, that's what I did. Warning you will need to negotiate with three or four stealers to get that price. Also, heard that the 15,000 rebate was shaved to $10,000. Good luck.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 E55 Black
Originally Posted by sack5000
I agree, wait about two months before your lease ends and MB Financial will lower the residual by about $10,000. Keep your car until the very last day of the lease and take it to the dealer to turn it in. The dealer will CPO the car for you and also buy the car from MB Financial for a further discount. You will then get back in your car with a fresh warranty and a decent price. Going the auction route will save a few thousand but then you get the wear and tear that is surely to happen and no warranty.

Forgetting all that, go buy a brand new 2009 for $30 grand off sticker, that's what I did. Warning you will need to negotiate with three or four stealers to get that price. Also, heard that the 15,000 rebate was shaved to $10,000. Good luck.
That would be nice, but there's no way MB will cut my residual from $32K to $22k in March 10 ahead of a May expiry. I'd take 5 off in a heartbeat
Old 10-15-2009, 06:34 AM

1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
Originally Posted by sack5000

This sounds like the route id take. A few grand is def worth it for an mb warranty.