W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What do you think happened?
Valet joyride after not being able to turn the car off?
36.67%
Valet screwup and someone had a guilty conscience 9 miles down the road?
23.33%
Who cares. Kill them all and take their jobs away.
23.33%
All's well that ends well...life goes on and it's "just" a "car" - (ex-girlfriend)
16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Valet "lost" my car...thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 / 2001 e39 M5
Valet "lost" my car...thoughts?

Visited a local establishment in a nice part of town- I'm typically VERY cautious with valet in general, but after looking at the packed parking lot decided it'd be quicker/easier and they're insured/bonded, right?

A few hours later head back out, hand over my ticket and the guy turns white as a sheet and says I need to call the police. I about lost it, but kept my cool.

A friend of mine found the car in a far corner of the parking lot with the key in it, engine running. Odometer had an additional 18 miles on it (always make a mental note of the last two digits) and CD had advanced about 4-5 tracks.

Car seems fine, about to go do a daytime inspection but wow...talk about heart stopping.

Considering the circumstances I'm guessing the valet couldn't figure out how to turn the car off and left the key in it (keyless go)..but come on.

No one was killed in the creation of this post- although I was VERY tempted. The car had a few loaded firearms and a wad of cash in the "hidden" spots, and everything was there.

I'd like to think that if someone were to pick it up from valet with good intentions they'd say it wasn't theirs as soon as the guy drove up with it. If they had bad intentions I don't think I would've seen the car again, and would've been out my DSLR, a few guns and some $$$$ that would've been a straight loss. The 18 miles blows my mind, as the valet stand was fairly busy and understaffed all night so i doubt he had time to joyride. He did say after getting grilled that he remembered my car and it was the last one they took in...wish I had a GPS logger.

I hate that the unknown can be more stressful than facts. What do you think happened?
Old 11-22-2009, 11:23 AM

Takes the bus.
They probably gave someone else your car on accident, those people said what the hell, and took it on a quick joy ride then brought it back.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:26 AM

Yea, I put cash and loaded firearms into all of my cars and hand the keys over to valet drivers. We should all do that. That is so brilliant.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Well, I'm guilty of leaving cash in my vehicle from time to time too. But loaded guns, now you just asking for real big trouble. I'm glad nothing happened. Next time park it yourselves.

Or better yet, if your car have keyless go, take the keys with you when you valet. That way they'll always leave your car out front.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1969 280S, 1991 300E
Originally Posted by kovachian
Yea, I put cash and loaded firearms into all of my cars and hand the keys over to valet drivers. We should all do that. That is so brilliant.
That's what i was thinking. Are you not liable for anything that happens with those guns where you live?
Old 11-22-2009, 11:50 AM

2005 E55 / 2001 e39 M5
I'm in Texas, have a concealed carry license and it's legal to keep a loaded firearm in your vehicle while traveling (even without the CHL). Since it isn't legal to carry into an establishment that make 51% or more of it's profit from the sale of alcohol, I threw my backup piece in the "non-locking" storage area. The one in the glove box and trunk should have been inaccessible to anyone as they were locked up-but where there is a will there is a way.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
W212 E63
Originally Posted by GT40MkI
Visited a local establishment in a nice part of town- I'm typically VERY cautious with valet in general, but after looking at the packed parking lot decided it'd be quicker/easier and they're insured/bonded, right?

A few hours later head back out, hand over my ticket and the guy turns white as a sheet and says I need to call the police. I about lost it, but kept my cool.

A friend of mine found the car in a far corner of the parking lot with the key in it, engine running. Odometer had an additional 18 miles on it (always make a mental note of the last two digits) and CD had advanced about 4-5 tracks.

Car seems fine, about to go do a daytime inspection but wow...talk about heart stopping.

Considering the circumstances I'm guessing the valet couldn't figure out how to turn the car off and left the key in it (keyless go)..but come on.

No one was killed in the creation of this post- although I was VERY tempted. The car had a few loaded firearms and a wad of cash in the "hidden" spots, and everything was there.

I'd like to think that if someone were to pick it up from valet with good intentions they'd say it wasn't theirs as soon as the guy drove up with it. If they had bad intentions I don't think I would've seen the car again, and would've been out my DSLR, a few guns and some $$$$ that would've been a straight loss. The 18 miles blows my mind, as the valet stand was fairly busy and understaffed all night so i doubt he had time to joyride. He did say after getting grilled that he remembered my car and it was the last one they took in...wish I had a GPS logger.

I hate that the unknown can be more stressful than facts. What do you think happened?
Why do you have loaded guns in your car? Are you an undercover Police Officer?
Old 11-22-2009, 11:59 AM

His wife crazy
As an EX CCW holder myself, I know there are places you can't carry without being in violation of the law, but if I ever had to leave my G in the car, I would break it down and take the ammo and frame or ammo and barrel with me. NEVER leave a fully loaded weapon in a car that someone else has access to.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
First off, really dumb with the gun. You said it was a good part of town - why the need to carry a gun there?

Anyway, as far as the car goes. You could be right that they couldn't figure out how to work the keyless go but highly unlikely as plenty of cars have this type of feature. Also doesn't explain the additional 18 miles on the car. I say someone went for a ride.

Reminds me of a funny story. went to an opening of a new restaurant and there were some nice cars parked right up front so I left my car there. I was prepared to park in the neighborhood (good area) instead of giving my car to them. But they had some good spots.

There was a 360 parked up front that needed to be moved. it was running, lights on. They couldn't figure out how to use the F1 tranny LOL. they figured I was a "car guy" and asked if I knew how. I guess they were too embarrassed to go find the owner inside. I said I knew how to drive it and hopped in and moved it for them.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:27 PM

E63 AMG
I also have two in the car. One in the compartment under the drivers seat and the other in the trunk where spare should be.

Why do I have guns in the car???

Because I can.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
Two sides to the guns in the car - on the one hand, you rarely know when you're going to actually need one (good neighborhood or not) so I personally have no problem with always having them; but I would have definitely disabled them in some way if I knew they were in the car ready to go (with great power comes great responsibility). Personally, I would have been a thousand times more worried about those weapons in the wrong hands rather than the fact that my car was missing. Just me. Glad to hear that everything worked out for the best (minus the missing 18 miles, of course)
Old 11-22-2009, 12:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63, Cobra replica, 68 Camaro, 66 Chevy II SS, Z4 BMW, Honda Element, Birel 125cc Shifter Kart.
Originally Posted by TheVazha
Why do you have loaded guns in your car? Are you an undercover Police Officer?
You live in L.A. and have to ask that question?

I live in South Florida and keep a gun in each of my cars. When I get out of the car, the gun goes with me unless I'm going into someplace that serves alcohol. In that case, I lock it up and don't use valet.

Having a carry permit and a gun is absolutely usless unless you're carrying it.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:48 PM

2005 E55 / 2001 e39 M5
Originally Posted by bigswin
I also have two in the car. One in the compartment under the drivers seat and the other in the trunk where spare should be.

Why do I have guns in the car???

Because I can.
Thanks. and +1

I'd imagine carrying is inline with the majority of locals, although I understand it's a different area and lifestyle compared to most of your metro lifestyles
Old 11-22-2009, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
W212 E63
Originally Posted by speedpeddler
You live in L.A. and have to ask that question?

I live in South Florida and keep a gun in each of my cars. When I get out of the car, the gun goes with me unless I'm going into someplace that serves alcohol. In that case, I lock it up and don't use valet.

Having a carry permit and a gun is absolutely usless unless you're carrying it.
I do live in LA, its nothing like the rap videos you watch.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 ML63 2009 SL63 2010 Alpha 7 GTR
GT, Let this be a learning lesson for you. I too tend to have a bit of cash and weapons on board. This is why I never have my car vallet'd. Long story short, drop the bombshell off at the door and prepare for a hike.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
+1

Kinda freaky knowing all of these guys are carrying loaded guns all over LA. What the hell are you guys doing that requires having a loaded piece on you just to go to dinner? Cash & guns = asking for trouble IMO?

And yes I'm a proud gun owner and believe in the right to bear arms. I just don't carry them in my car locked & loaded (kinda illegal in Cali). Texas is another story altogeher. I lived there 10 years, and everyone carries whether they "need to" or not. Some areas of Texas are much worse than others.

Last edited by VCA_AMG; 11-22-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
which is why i never use the valet and if i do i pay and park it myself
Old 11-22-2009, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 w211 E55
They 100% took your car for a joyride. No question about it. I would be pissed. They know its not a e320 so that joyride was a very aggressive one. I give the valet guys $20 up front and make sure my car is up front no matter where I go.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:48 PM

E63, S550
Originally Posted by mugatu22
Kinda freaky knowing all of these guys are carrying loaded guns all over LA. What the hell are you guys doing that requires having a loaded piece on you just to go to dinner? Cash & guns = asking for trouble IMO?
pimping isn't the safest profession
Old 11-22-2009, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
First thing I would check would be to see if any ammo was missing / gun fired ...

If so then you got real problems....
Old 11-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
One time the valet in houston manually folded the mirror on my e39 m5 and broke it. I had to argue with them for about an hour to make them admit that did it.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:09 PM

2005 E55 / 2001 e39 M5
Originally Posted by stevebez
First thing I would check would be to see if any ammo was missing / gun fired ...

Everything was untouched...although there is a strange shaped piece of foam on the passenger floorboard...might take a pic to see if it's from the car. Kindof horseshoe/ collar shaped.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63, Cobra replica, 68 Camaro, 66 Chevy II SS, Z4 BMW, Honda Element, Birel 125cc Shifter Kart.
Maybe it's just me. I'd carry no matter where I lived. Bad guys know no boundries.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 346 Posts
MB’s
I never keep anymore then $5.00 in my cars. Only incase of I want to go into a Starbucks or a Mobil or something. As far as guns go. I keep a GSG-5 and a AK-47 in my C240.......What? I like to go to the range.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 346 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by stevebez

Agree. As a gun owner speaking you need to be carefull. Even when my cars go in for service I take all the stuff out. Even thoue I know the shop very well I dont trust anyone.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Valet "lost" my car...thoughts?