Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
W212 E63
05 E55 First Gear "thump" HELP!!

Here's the situation:
In first gear, from a complete stand still, I press the gas. Not floored and not light, about 35%-40%. The car starts rolling and then there is an apparent and obvious "thud" under the hood and the car takes off. If I had to compare it to anything I would compare it to engine mounts or transmission mounts going bad. If you know what that feels like, well, this is similar. I took the car to BH Benz, with a warranty, and they could not figure out what was wrong with it. They checked ALL the mounts, bushings, transmission, and a slew of other common issues. The car is tip top. Very interestingly, one of the techs asked if I've had my car tuned. The answer is yes, I got the LET tune about two months ago. He asked if I remember if the problem was occuring before the tune nad I explained that I cant remember my girlfriends name from time to time. He suspects that the "thud" could be because of the tune, not dangerous to the car at all, simply a clutch delay for more power. Anyway, I wanted to know if any of you guys have had experiance with this mysterious "thud" at low RPM's and if anyone has figured out what it is? LET guys I still love you and appreciate what you've done with the car, just want to know if anyone has an answer!?
Old 12-03-2009, 03:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
when u put the gear from N to D, is there a delay or it get ingaged fast ?

try it without pressing the brake.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P-Carro
Does it happen along with the chirp @ about 2000 RPM's? i get it too and totally agree, it does feel rough after the bigger pulley and tune,plus might have to do with the belt jumping a little too and definitely the SUPERCHARGER clutch. I was reading that the engaging gets rough as they get older. Just got used to it...
Originally Posted by TheVazha
Here's the situation:
In first gear, from a complete stand still, I press the gas. Not floored and not light, about 35%-40%. The car starts rolling and then there is an apparent and obvious "thud" under the hood and the car takes off. If I had to compare it to anything I would compare it to engine mounts or transmission mounts going bad. If you know what that feels like, well, this is similar. I took the car to BH Benz, with a warranty, and they could not figure out what was wrong with it. They checked ALL the mounts, bushings, transmission, and a slew of other common issues. The car is tip top. Very interestingly, one of the techs asked if I've had my car tuned. The answer is yes, I got the LET tune about two months ago. He asked if I remember if the problem was occuring before the tune nad I explained that I cant remember my girlfriends name from time to time. He suspects that the "thud" could be because of the tune, not dangerous to the car at all, simply a clutch delay for more power. Anyway, I wanted to know if any of you guys have had experiance with this mysterious "thud" at low RPM's and if anyone has figured out what it is? LET guys I still love you and appreciate what you've done with the car, just want to know if anyone has an answer!?
Old 12-03-2009, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
No thump here but mine is stock. Sound sort of odd though and not real normal even with the tune. I have been in quit a few tuned cars and never felt or heard a thump.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:16 AM

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts
'19 G63 Ed 1,'18 M5, '16 G63,'12 458 , '11 E63, Brabus SL55-K8, '10 S63, '94 E500 "Wolf", '91 560SEC
Mine does it too, I just assumed it is normal when the supercharger kicks in with a slight chirp the engine lags a little.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 E63
Originally Posted by Ali_E55
when u put the gear from N to D, is there a delay or it get ingaged fast ?

try it without pressing the brake.
Yeah there's defiantly a delay from engagement. From N to D, from D to R, and all over the map. I've owned 4 benzes before this one and I guess I was just hoping that I wouldn't get that same "delay" with my AMG.

I guess as they get old the components just wear out. Also, thanks for letting me know I'm not the only person who's experiencing the issue.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 ML63 2009 SL63 2010 Alpha 7 GTR
Could be all that trq kicking in, when I hit mine it feels like I am being rear-ended by a semi.

Trending Topics

Old 12-03-2009, 09:32 PM

2005 E55
I have a 2005 E55 with 18,000 on it. I noticed when put the car in drive when cold there is a rather long delay and a bit of a kick but no thud. I just assumed it is because the car is cold. Normal?

Yeah there's defiantly a delay from engagement. From N to D, from D to R, and all over the map. I've owned 4 benzes before this one and I guess I was just hoping that I wouldn't get that same "delay" with my AMG.

I guess as they get old the components just wear out. Also, thanks for letting me know I'm not the only person who's experiencing the issue.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:35 PM

2005 E55
What is the tranny setting on Sport or comfort? If comfort try to set it to sport to see if it happens. I have an ML550 also and when it tries to start off in second and i give it some gas from a dead stop it gets confused whether to stay in second or shift to first and the result is an odd thump and weird gear shift. Took it to the dealer who said it was just the tranny adapting. I thought otherwise but it did settle down a bit.

Here's the situation:
Old 12-04-2009, 12:41 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
You are not talking about the old throttle body slapping shut and scaring the hell out of you? Are you?
Old 12-04-2009, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 E63
Originally Posted by Mamba003
I have a 2005 E55 with 18,000 on it. I noticed when put the car in drive when cold there is a rather long delay and a bit of a kick but no thud. I just assumed it is because the car is cold. Normal?
Yeah I guess its pretty normal with MBZ. I've experienced some variation of the problem in all the MBZ I've ever owned. Its weird, the car, any MBZ, is with out a doubt the best car on the planet every way. In reading this Thread I guess I'm not crazy or alone to experiance the "Delay in gear shifts" or mysterois "thuds" coming out of the engine bay. I guess we deal with it boys, we're doing just fine with it!
Old 12-04-2009, 04:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
i think you need to change some electronic switches in the gear.

a freind has the same problem and when he changed the gear map. it is ok.

though maybe your car has a diffrent problem. but if there is a delay between shifting through the gear it is not a mechanical problem.